The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 10:26:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 10:26:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Full Moon will Be Highest Riding Moon Until 2023  (Read 10326 times)
Athystle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 06:05:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 20, 2007, 07:25:23 pm »

A NASA email I got today tells that the full moon on christmas eve will be looking especially bright as it will be the highest riding full moon we will see again until 2023. They also mention Mars will be visable all night long, is the closest it will be to Earth for 9 yrs and is "at opposition". It should be a real treat and I will be sure to enjoy it. Then again we haven't seen our last three full moons here because of heavy clould cover so if we do see it we certainly deserve to.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 20, 2007, 10:58:14 pm »

A NASA email I got today tells that the full moon on christmas eve will be looking especially bright as it will be the highest riding full moon we will see again until 2023. They also mention Mars will be visable all night long, is the closest it will be to Earth for 9 yrs and is "at opposition". It should be a real treat and I will be sure to enjoy it. Then again we haven't seen our last three full moons here because of heavy clould cover so if we do see it we certainly deserve to.

Link?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 20, 2007, 11:20:13 pm »

Damn it!

On Christmas Eve I will be at my parents' house and wont be able to see anything through those trees.

Angry

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 21, 2007, 12:20:45 am »

Link?
This week's (17-23 Dec) What's Up at Universe Today mentions - scroll down to the 22 Dec entry - that the moon is at perigree, its closest approach to earth.  A thread on Bad Astronomy/Universe Today's forums mentions that some folks will get to see an occultation of Mars by the moon at full moon; according to the linked map, I'm one of them.  But I'm not finding any mentions anywhere of it being unusually high.  And I checked several places, including space.com and the NASA site.

When I started checking, I expected to find it; by my personal observations, the moon looks quite high.

As far as I can see on the NASA site, they don't offer an email newsletter.  I'd probably sign up for it if they did (I signed up for one at space.com while I was checking on this; between that and finding out about the occultation, I feel my time was spent fruitfully), so I'd love to hear more from Athystle about the email she got - I may be missing something.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 21, 2007, 12:37:48 am »

Come to my neck of the woods.  These winter skywatch notices are just a cruel joke...not to mention most of the spring and autumn ones...

Brina
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 21, 2007, 03:25:16 am »

Come to my neck of the woods.  These winter skywatch notices are just a cruel joke...not to mention most of the spring and autumn ones...

Brina

The almost full moon is glaringly bright here tonight---a bit south of you.  And Mars has been dazzling high in the sky at this hour of the night....figures it might not be quite such a show tomorrow night, lol.

Yes, "our" skywatch is mostly "Look outside...see clouds, forget about the rest."

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 21, 2007, 07:14:08 am »

Link?

I don't know how to do that link stuff.   science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/20dec_christmaseve.htm?list940077
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:31:57 am by Star, Reason: To make link work » Logged
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 21, 2007, 07:18:07 am »

This week's (17-23 Dec) What's Up at Universe Today mentions - scroll down to the 22 Dec entry - that the moon is at perigree, its closest approach to earth.  A thread on Bad Astronomy/Universe Today's forums mentions that some folks will get to see an occultation of Mars by the moon at full moon; according to the linked map, I'm one of them.  But I'm not finding any mentions anywhere of it being unusually high.  And I checked several places, including space.com and the NASA site.

When I started checking, I expected to find it; by my personal observations, the moon looks quite high.

As far as I can see on the NASA site, they don't offer an email newsletter.  I'd probably sign up for it if they did (I signed up for one at space.com while I was checking on this; between that and finding out about the occultation, I feel my time was spent fruitfully), so I'd love to hear more from Athystle about the email she got - I may be missing something.

Sunflower
I've been getting a nasa email thingy for 3 yrs. I dont know how to do the link thing but I put the complete address to the one I got on a post to Warhorses comment. Hope that helps. They do say the highest. If there is something on my email that says how to subscribe I will make another post. I didn't think to look , Iwill do that right now.
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 21, 2007, 07:20:04 am »

Sunflower
  There is a link to unsubscribe and that is all I see. Sorry I'm so computer illiterate.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: December 21, 2007, 09:33:44 am »

I don't know how to do that link stuff.   

I edited your post to make the link work.  Smiley  If you be sure to put the http:// part at the beginning and put the address on a new line, it will automatically be made into a clickable link.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 21, 2007, 10:24:57 am »

The almost full moon is glaringly bright here tonight---a bit south of you.  And Mars has been dazzling high in the sky at this hour of the night....figures it might not be quite such a show tomorrow night, lol.

It was partly cloudy and cold here last night too.  And yes, Mars has put on quite a show.  I suspect that's all we're due for, so I guess I'll take the almost-full moon, in the partly cloudy sky, the day before the Solstice.  Wink

Brina
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 21, 2007, 11:01:59 am »

Fantastic!  Now all I have to do is remember to go out and look at it all!
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 21, 2007, 08:48:48 pm »

Haven't seen the moon for at least the last 3 nights.  Last night was foggy, tonight isFOGGY- 1/4 mi or less visabilty, and the next night or 3 3 are supposed to be rain and clouds. 

This early winter wether will end sometime and maybe we will have a bunch of clear nights.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: December 22, 2007, 07:24:39 am »

I've been getting a nasa email thingy for 3 yrs. I dont know how to do the link thing but I put the complete address to the one I got on a post to Warhorses comment. Hope that helps. They do say the highest. If there is something on my email that says how to subscribe I will make another post. I didn't think to look , Iwill do that right now.
Yup, that's what it says, all right.  Odd that there's not a peep about it elsewhere, but, hey, that's why I'm subscribed to more than one newsletter, and have a bunch of links - not everything gets mentioned everywhere.

Thank you for providing that link, and thanks to Star for fixing it - it had a "subscribe" button right there, so I did.  It seems to me that the NASA site isn't as easily navigable as it used to be - I'm sure I remember it having link-names that were more obvious than what it has now.

All in all, though, I'm glad I had trouble finding it, because in hunting about I found other things I might not have otherwise.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 22, 2007, 04:50:45 pm »

Fantastic!  Now all I have to do is remember to go out and look at it all!

Heh heh, ditto. Wink

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)