The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2022, 06:42:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2022, 06:42:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rune divination websites  (Read 4367 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 21, 2007, 11:28:10 am »

Can someone recommend a really basic website for rune divination? One that has what reversed and flipped runes mean and things like that.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 21, 2007, 11:42:39 am »

Can someone recommend a really basic website for rune divination? One that has what reversed and flipped runes mean and things like that.

Here's one.  Though I doubt anyone with rune experience will recommend it much.  No historical basis for using runes in divination, so it's (for lack of a better term) "made up".  Wink

Brina
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 21, 2007, 03:43:01 pm »

This is my absolute favorite Rune meaning website. I have these pages printed out as part of my journal, and I have used these meanings MANY times with good success. Smiley

Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 22, 2007, 01:16:08 am »

I dont do much work with runes, but i have looked at this site before and it looked alright to me - http://www.runemaker.com/runemaker.shtml

Disclaimer - i think his meanings are pretty personal though.

Edited to add a disclaimer at 5:21pm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:21:50 am by Violet » Logged

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 22, 2007, 08:24:49 am »

I dont do much work with runes, but i have looked at this site before and it looked alright to me - http://www.runemaker.com/runemaker.shtml

I do not like Runemaker...at all. His meanings are...well..."pretty personal" is giving him the benefit of the doubt. They are at times completely contrary to any other accepted meanings out there! Shocked  He also does such things as create personal bindrunes using only the person's initials without ANY regard to the meaning of the Runes. That is a HUGE "no no" in my book (there are certain Runes that you simply do not combine for certain things...and combining them randomly without any regard to the meaning/possible effect of the Runes involved is just...stupid.)

There is more, but I won't go into his "super secret ancient rituals" for creating them. Roll Eyes

Stay away. Stay very far away. (In my personal opinion, your mileage may vary. Grin)

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 22, 2007, 10:48:13 am »

He also does such things as create personal bindrunes using only the person's initials without ANY regard to the meaning of the Runes. That is a HUGE "no no" in my book (there are certain Runes that you simply do not combine for certain things...and combining them randomly without any regard to the meaning/possible effect of the Runes involved is just...stupid.)

*emphatic nod*

Take me for example... when you combine my intials, L--laguz, and H--hagalaz, according to that system. Doesn't make me feel very good about what will happen there.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 22, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »

That was actually the first rune website I came across, back in the day. It's been a while, but I don't remember their being anything too blatantly wrong in there... Smiley

And DANIA, Thank's for sharing that link!!!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 22, 2007, 06:20:38 pm »

Take me for example... when you combine my intials, L--laguz, and H--hagalaz, according to that system. Doesn't make me feel very good about what will happen there.

Yea, um...no. LOL. I really think there are some Runes I would never use in a personal bindrune...Hagalaz is one of them (I can think of a few purposes that I would use it for...but for the use he's talking about, NO WAY.)

And DANIA, Thank's for sharing that link!!!

No problem. It was given to me by someone I trust greatly in these sorts of matters...and I've made those particular meanings a part of my own pathwork/coursework. Just sharing the goodness!! Grin

ILuvEire
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 18, 2008, 04:15:58 am
France France

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 31, 2007, 04:20:01 am »

I don't do runes at all (although I have looked into it a lot).

This site looks sorta nice...

-TYLER-
ITTR contact me for free Tarot readings.
Psionic Visionaries a site devoted to teaching psi.
I'm not going to do anything to you but if I were you, I'd be happy that I am not an artichoke-Endorra.
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 01, 2008, 09:26:38 pm »

This is my absolute favorite Rune meaning website. I have these pages printed out as part of my journal, and I have used these meanings MANY times with good success. Smiley

Just a comment: the blank rune ("Odin") on that site, is a new age invention, it is NOT one of the Futhark ancient runes.

alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 02, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »

Just a comment: the blank rune ("Odin") on that site, is a new age invention, it is NOT one of the Futhark ancient runes.

It's not one of the Futhark, but a rune for Odinn exists in the Futhork/Anglo-Saxon set--called Gar and pictured here--http://www.cauldronfarm.com/asphodel/articles/futhorc/gar.gif

Not my site or my representation of Gar [it's linked off Raven Kaldera's site].

Ralph Blum, who came up with the blank rune, was pretty close to getting why he felt there needed to be another one--he just didn't get all the way.

Gar is the 'stop asking' rune. That, as Raven says on his site [cauldronfarm.com], things are not set and you aren't supposed to know. In my experience, it's the end of the line rune--the particular line of questioning is DONE.

For runes, I like http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/. It doesn't use the Futhork set, which I do, but it has really solid info to work from.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:15:21 pm by Star, Reason: Changed inline image to a link to image » Logged

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: January 02, 2008, 12:20:39 pm »

Not my site or my representation of Gar [it's linked off Raven Kaldera's site].

I've modified your post to make it link to the image rather than display it.  It's polite to do that when the image isn't on your own server (or your own account on something like PhotoBucket), because that way the bandwidth of the people whose server it is doesn't get eaten up every time someone reads the message the image is in.  Wink  It also keeps you and the Cauldron on the sunny side of the law if there happen to be any copyright issues concerning the use of the image.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 02, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »

I've modified your post to make it link to the image rather than display it.  It's polite to do that when the image isn't on your own server (or your own account on something like PhotoBucket), because that way the bandwidth of the people whose server it is doesn't get eaten up every time someone reads the message the image is in.  Wink  It also keeps you and the Cauldron on the sunny side of the law if there happen to be any copyright issues concerning the use of the image.

Cool..thank you.

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner
Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 06:26:55 pm

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 03, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

As for websites, there are quite a few.

This last one I happened across is pretty cool  (has the names, the sounds, the rune poems (mnemonic devices), basic meaning, and a little more in depth than others).

Now, as to Merkstave and flipped...  I read them differently.

Merkstave (reversed) the meaning changes depending on how far away from upright/reversed the Rune is...  and hidden (flipped) shows a Rune to which is an influence that pushes in silently; something that is not in your forethought [does that make sense?]

bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #14: January 10, 2008, 12:01:24 pm »

Historically, there are no 'flipped' meanings. A rune is a rune. Period. Why not try the original rune poems, rather than someone's modern opinion?

http://www.ragweedforge.com/poems.html

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)