The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 03:57:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 03:57:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Charity as religious practice  (Read 6298 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 21, 2007, 12:38:35 pm »

In relation to the thread on favorite charities.

Is charity considered a requirement in your religion?  Does the type of charity matter?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 21, 2007, 01:37:29 pm »

Is charity considered a requirement in your religion?  Does the type of charity matter?

theologically, I don't know, practically, since the practice is reclaiming, I would suspect it is required.  I owuld also expect the charity to be required to be of the left wing activism type, which while including food banks and toy drives and more mainstream stuff, it would actually have to accomplish something, not just spread religion, no matter what it was, and the more left leaning the group the better.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 21, 2007, 02:36:47 pm »

the more left leaning the group the better.
Which is my requirement for a charity (or any group, really) on general principle!  <jk>

I don't think ADF specifically requires charity.  (Sailor_tech, having been involved with them in the past, you'd probably know better than myself as I'm such a newbie.)  I do get a sense of "taking care of each other" implied in the virtue of hospitality.

However, on my own moral grounds - which I don't really distinguish from religion (one of the benefits of wandering off on one's own path) - it's required (and it's an area where I fail terribly.)   

Type?  Like mandrina said, something that actually accomplishes something.  In this order, I'd think: 
1.  Taking care of people (Food banks, Red Cross, Amnesty International)
2.  Taking care of the environment
3.  Education

Though they are all so important, ranking them is difficult.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 21, 2007, 02:46:32 pm »

I don't think ADF specifically requires charity.  (Sailor_tech, having been involved with them in the past, you'd probably know better than myself as I'm such a newbie.)  I do get a sense of "taking care of each other" implied in the virtue of hospitality.

However, on my own moral grounds - which I don't really distinguish from religion (one of the benefits of wandering off on one's own path) - it's required (and it's an area where I fail terribly.)   

Suggestion has been donating 2% of income to ADF. That came out in 1988 or so. Most members donate nothing though.

Other than that, no, charity was not a significant concept with ADF.
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 21, 2007, 03:18:08 pm »

OK.

Simple answer would be Yes. Flame keeping Is/includes a call to action and one of the Easiest types of improvement would be via charity.

More completely, the charity would have to accomplish some tangible improvement, and charity could simpley be given in donating time rather than money.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 21, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »

Never really thought about it before, but yes I suppose that it is.

I believe in spreading as much positive energy as I can (I do believe in karma, but this isn't necessarily the reason why I choose to believe the former). Therefore, charity would be an effective way of spreading positivity- and by this I simply mean doing something *good* with the hope that it will have knock-on effects.

Charity is a funny old word though. I think a lot of people put 'charity' down as being an organization of some sort that is set up to help one particular area of life- orphaned children, poverty, endangered animals. But I have always viewed charity down as the action of 'showing love'. For instance, if a person was to help an elderly person onto the bus with all their bags, is this not charity? Sure, it's not on a large-scale, and doesn't help anybody else apart from the elderley person, but you have still made a difference to *one* person's day.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 21, 2007, 10:04:29 pm »

OK.

Simple answer would be Yes. Flame keeping Is/includes a call to action and one of the Easiest types of improvement would be via charity.

More completely, the charity would have to accomplish some tangible improvement, and charity could simpley be given in donating time rather than money.

Based upon the very small number of responses in this thread and the other thread, time seems to be item least given. Time is sometimes very valuable, and often the hardest to get from people.

Tangible improvment has turned me off a lot of major national or trans-national charities. Or rather it's the lack of real long term improvement that occurs with their programs.
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 21, 2007, 11:25:30 pm »

Personally I think charity goes beyond any religious practice. It can become very spiritual to me and others, but I don't see it as a 'requirement'. It is something we all as people, should do. We are all on this planet together, we why not help each other other. What is the saying..." what helps one, helps us all." I also feel that not only people need help, but animals and the Earth as well.

I don't think you just have to give money though. I plant trees and plants in my area, I help an older couple with their house work and cooking, I help rescue animals, etc. I don't think the type of charity matters, because not everyone has money to give and not everyone as time or the ability to physically help, so I think you should do what you can. No matter what you do, it feels good to give.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 22, 2007, 01:43:42 am »

I think a lot of people put 'charity' down as being an organization of some sort that is set up to help one particular area of life- orphaned children, poverty, endangered animals. But I have always viewed charity down as the action of 'showing love'. For instance, if a person was to help an elderly person onto the bus with all their bags, is this not charity? Sure, it's not on a large-scale, and doesn't help anybody else apart from the elderley person, but you have still made a difference to *one* person's day.

That's very true, and a nice way of putting it Smiley

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 22, 2007, 04:21:27 pm »

I guess I'll go against the general consensus here. Tongue Charity is definitely not considered a requirement in my path. Neither is volunteering, for that matter. That said, I do think it is commendable for people to give to charity... perhaps you guys are better than I. haha.

Being a poor college student, I am strapped for money (and time!), but I think the top thing to devote anything to for charity is the environment. Only because we *do* effect it so much... and the earth can't fight back on it's own (except I suppose that when the ice caps melt or whatever and an Ice Age kills off the human population...). So if I was able and got inspired, I might do something related to that, if anything.

Why isn't charity a part of my beliefs? I suppose I am more concerned in playing a part in the lives of the people that I have relationships and contact with. That doesn't mean that I'm heartless or anything, but my life and spirituality is more self-centered. I don't feel as though it is my duty to do anything for the human race as a whole. Sorry if I sound arrogant.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 22, 2007, 04:25:51 pm »

Why isn't charity a part of my beliefs? I suppose I am more concerned in playing a part in the lives of the people that I have relationships and contact with. That doesn't mean that I'm heartless or anything, but my life and spirituality is more self-centered. I don't feel as though it is my duty to do anything for the human race as a whole. Sorry if I sound arrogant.

Charity doesn't have to be aimed at the human race as a whole. How about your local community or local faith group?
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 22, 2007, 04:54:14 pm »

I guess I'll go against the general consensus here. Tongue Charity is definitely not considered a requirement in my path. Neither is volunteering, for that matter. That said, I do think it is commendable for people to give to charity... perhaps you guys are better than I. haha.

Being a poor college student, I am strapped for money (and time!), but I think the top thing to devote anything to for charity is the environment. Only because we *do* effect it so much... and the earth can't fight back on it's own (except I suppose that when the ice caps melt or whatever and an Ice Age kills off the human population...). So if I was able and got inspired, I might do something related to that, if anything.

\\

CHarity could be donating blood. ANd I believe, originally, all charity was local.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 22, 2007, 05:01:34 pm »

Charity doesn't have to be aimed at the human race as a whole. How about your local community or local faith group?
What about them? I do take clothes to Salvation Army at times, simply because I hate being wasteful. The only thing worth doing anything about in my local community is saving farmland, I suppose. I don't see what a faith group has to do with anything. Local or global, when I said "the human race as a whole," I meant more of people I don't know. I care about the things that effect me most directly, i.e. things like climate or my friends and family.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 22, 2007, 05:02:53 pm »

CHarity could be donating blood. ANd I believe, originally, all charity was local.
Ah, no go on that one! I am *deathly* phobic of hypodermic needles and IVs. I'm not even going to say more than that about the subject... just the suggestion is starting to freak me out....

lol. Sorry.sdlgjhalosc;' grr.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 22, 2007, 06:01:44 pm »

What about them? I do take clothes to Salvation Army at times, simply because I hate being wasteful. The only thing worth doing anything about in my local community is saving farmland, I suppose. I don't see what a faith group has to do with anything. Local or global, when I said "the human race as a whole," I meant more of people I don't know. I care about the things that effect me most directly, i.e. things like climate or my friends and family.

what about food banks or soup kitchens?  or local shelters? I guess my point is that there is a lot to do locally, that while it doesn't impact you immediately (because you aren't homeless or hungry at this time) it does affect you because it affects the people around you. 

On the other hand, it's ok that your religion doesn't speak to charity.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)