The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 10:48:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 10:48:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you study?  (Read 13987 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 25, 2007, 09:59:00 am »

Thanks for doing such a good job explaining it. That's what I did during the Christmas Eve service my parents dragged me to. I'm feeling a little better about it today, so I'm hoping it'll pass.

I just always had so much trouble emptying my mind, and it sounded like exactly the problem you were having. I hope it does work for you.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Perro
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 11, 2008, 04:43:09 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 26, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »

I just always had so much trouble emptying my mind, and it sounded like exactly the problem you were having. I hope it does work for you.

Hi everyone,
Thought that this was an interesting topic and just thought i'd add my 2 cents (probably pence in England, but whatever)

I first started by borrowing books off friends, and scouring message boards and internet sites - i think we all know the trash that's out there but once you get by those sites offering to 'fix your life with this simple charm', probably with a price attatched, there's some pretty good stuff.
It moved on to looking at Legends and stories and trying to get to the root of practice. more than that i think i rely on myself and my own intuition more now. it's about being confident enough and sure enought to believe in your own practice.

As to meditation - i find it really hard to get to that 'still place'. i definately find it easier outside, sometimes it's like you're just plugged in. grounding and centering are easier and possibly an easier way to get a connection.
As for energy work - if i'm not touching the object then forget it.

I think what SunflowerP was saying is absolutely right, sometimes it helps to be a little sceptical. it sounds irritating i know but don't rush it. it's entirely possible Mithril that you're feeling energy but don't recognise it as such - think background noise.

One of the best exercises i find is similar to chakra work - about feeling the areas of energy in your own body and how energy flows in and out. can you find your own energy? well, to me it feels like i'm filled with heavy gold light.

Hmmm..went on a little longer than planned. just some ramblings everyone.

Merry Meet =]

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:04:11 pm by Steve, Reason: Added link back from following message » Logged
Perro
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 11, 2008, 04:43:09 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 26, 2007, 06:56:31 pm »

Also, apologies for not quoting - hope this provides the link (fingers crossed)
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: December 26, 2007, 07:05:12 pm »

Also, apologies for not quoting - hope this provides the link (fingers crossed)

I've edited your origional message to include the linkback,
Thanks for taking the time to include a followup message

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 26, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Yeah, sorta. I'm just sorta down in the dumps, I guess, because nothing I do ever seems to work. Meditating is hard for me for some reason. Pendulums don't work for me. I manage to raise energy while playing the violin sometimes, but then when I do I can't control it. No spell I've done has ever worked. I can't feel the energy of the moonlight or the wind or anything else. I've been trying to blame it on not studying enough. "I guess I just don't know enough yet for this to work," type thing, but I'm to the point where a) magic isn't real or b) I have no ability whatsoever, which is just as depressing.

Does anyone else feel this way?

You've gotten great advice so far, and I might end up just elaborating what other people have said, but... you say you can raise energy with the violin, and that's great! You know what it's like then, and you *can* do it. You just have to practice controlling it. I totally know what you mean about the "not wanting to let go" thing. I agree that you don't have to completely go off the deep end to "let go," but I'll also say... why not take a leap of faith? I'd be worried about dropping the violin too, but chances are you won't. It's hard to "just do it," but just tell yourself you'll honestly try once and then you can say you did and move on. *shrug*

Another thought... no energy in the moon, wind, etc. What about music? You're obviously connected with it and understand it with the violin.  Take a piece of music and close your eyes (maybe some very light meditating first, like just counting your breath), and listen and let the music take you where it will. Feel the sound. Sound is a wave... which means it is energy. You hear it with your ears... why not feel it with your whole body? You see light energy with your eyes... why not see sound energy? Just a thought...

And I completely agree with Sunflower's post, especially about practicing! As hard as it is, try to think about your goal just as gaining experience rather than "I'm going to make it rain," "I'm going to get rid of my stomachache," etc. I might also add that everyone has different talents. This extends to magic as well. It's quite possible you just haven't found your niche yet.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: December 27, 2007, 11:54:58 am »

I might also add that everyone has different talents. This extends to magic as well. It's quite possible you just haven't found your niche yet.

I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe music's my niche and once I get better at it, I'll be able to expand into other things. I'm feeling quite a bit more hopeful now. Smiley

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 27, 2007, 10:49:19 pm »

I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe music's my niche and once I get better at it, I'll be able to expand into other things. I'm feeling quite a bit more hopeful now. Smiley

YAY! Cheesy

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #22: December 28, 2007, 02:48:08 am »

I believe there are people for whom music is the actual medium for energy work and magic, not just a similar phenomenon.  It may be that rather than getting better at music and then expanding into other things, you may find that music 'is' the other thing, the channel by which you accomplish your magic.

I'm not sure I'm saying this right.  I've read things Jennet has had to say about music, here and on other forums, and I think she could probably say it much better.  Maybe she will see this thread next time she comes by and will explain what I think I mean. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 28, 2007, 10:29:01 am »

Sorry for making this such a long and somewhat manual-like post, I sort of got started and couldn't stop Smiley .

Kasmira, what would you say is the point to your meditations?  Is it just a way to take a break from everything, or do you get to some point and try to figure out a problem or question? 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: December 28, 2007, 02:55:25 pm »

I believe there are people for whom music is the actual medium for energy work and magic, not just a similar phenomenon.
I've observed this in action, and done a bit of it myself (not really enough to talk authoritatively about it though) - it can be very effective.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: December 28, 2007, 08:57:49 pm »

I believe there are people for whom music is the actual medium for energy work and magic, not just a similar phenomenon.

(Um.  Right.  I really should burn the mix CD I made as major spellwork for the Celt, shouldn't I ...)

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 29, 2007, 03:09:29 pm »

Kasmira, what would you say is the point to your meditations?  Is it just a way to take a break from everything, or do you get to some point and try to figure out a problem or question? 

I suppose that I use it in two different ways depending on the circumstances. As my concept of the divine is that it is present in everything around me and in me, my meditation helps me to 'reconnect' so to speak with that force of the divine in me and around me. This helps me if life has been particularly frantic recently and I am feeling particularly disconnected, I suppose it helps me refresh.

As well as as a method of connection I also find that this meditation helps me to see things that I may have been puzzling over more clearly. Sort of like how when a problem comes up a lot of people will 'sleep on it' so they can see it from a slightly different perspective in the morning in order to try and find a solution.

However, usually if I am trying to puzzle through a particular problem I will follow up my meditation with working a little with my tarot cards, I don't use them for divination so much as as a method of giving my mind a novel way of approaching a situation, I will deal the cards and try to relate them to the problem I am looking at. I can't really think of a way to explain this without rambling into a longer post than I want to do as it does not particularly relate to your question.

So essentially this is a basic meditation that I can either use by itself to enable me to reconnect and refresh or use as a basis for further work.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 29, 2007, 11:29:19 pm »

However, usually if I am trying to puzzle through a particular problem I will follow up my meditation with working a little with my tarot cards...

...So essentially this is a basic meditation that I can either use by itself to enable me to reconnect and refresh or use as a basis for further work.

That answers my question, thanks!

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 30, 2007, 12:09:17 pm »

How do you other teens go about studying paganism? Do you read every book you can get your hands on, or do you read books about specific things? Are any of you lucky enough to be able to take classes somewhere or have pagan friends to study with? Especially for people who's parents either don't know or don't approve, how do you practice and actually *be* pagan?

I'm asking because I'm feeling stuck. Since I'm not really part of an actual *religion* (Wicca's the closest, minus the deities and a few other things), so I don't really know how to continue researching. My parents know, but aren't really that supportive, so I can't get any help there, and I'm the only one I know who's pagan. How do you guys deal with it?
since i am a reconstructionist.i read history and myhology.i stop by the new age section for a good laugh.all the so-called celtic books out there.most would not know a stone circle from a sacred grove.stay away from anything by dj conway.he has no clue what celtic is.the celts were NOT a peacefull people.they were like most societies of the time.very war like.you were either the conquerer or the conquered.and they did practice blood sacrifice.everybody did in that time.what you find in the new-age section of the book store is NOT celtic.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: December 30, 2007, 02:19:56 pm »

stay away from anything by dj conway.he has no clue what celtic is.

Just a minor quibble, but D.J. Conway is a 'she.'  My apologies if you just had a typo. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.