The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 11:33:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 11:33:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you study?  (Read 13988 times)
shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: December 30, 2007, 03:17:20 pm »

Just a minor quibble, but D.J. Conway is a 'she.'  My apologies if you just had a typo. Smiley
thank you for the info.everybody i knew that was a d.j. was a dude.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: January 29, 2008, 04:19:09 am »

I'll read the ones that aren't bad, like Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft, I've even read the Odyssey and the Iliad for religious information. Right now I'm trying to dig up some of Aleister Crowley's works, and possibly some of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, early 20th century mysticism is a fascinating thing to me.

Heya. I'd reccomend Israel Regardie's work for information on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, as an oath-breaker he had intimate knowledge.
And as far as Aleister Crowley information goes, I'd start with The Book of the Law (you can get the really nice 100th anniversary edition on amazon for a reasonable price, I believe), as well as Thelemapaedia.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
shadow flame
Apprentice
Last Login:November 08, 2009, 05:28:56 pm
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 04, 2008, 01:46:04 pm »

i like to learn from the source, that is myths and works by historians on that particular deity.
LunarWolfRaven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 23, 2008, 02:15:51 am

Religion: Slightly Occultist, Slightly Witch, Mostly Druidry, I Also Beleive in the Norse Deities, and Sort of My Own Style.

Character is what determines wisdom or authority.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: April 13, 2008, 04:10:07 pm »

Do you read every book you can get your hands on, or do you read books about specific things? Are any of you lucky enough to be able to take classes somewhere or have pagan friends to study with? Especially for people who's parents either don't know or don't approve, how do you practice and actually *be* pagan?

Before I even heard that there was such thing as pagan religions, I still beleived in magic and decided to create my own sort of practice. What I did was beleive that the elements are deities all on their own. Like when you're washing the dishes or outside after a rainfall, try talking with the element Water, try to sense it. You decide for yourself whether Water should be feminine or masculine. I personally think that Water is feminine. Talk to Earth by putting your hand on the ground. If your parents catch you just say you dropped something like a pencil and you're sure it fell somewhere around you.  Smiley Talking to Sky is easy. Just stand or sit around outside and feel the air or the wind. At night, talk to (She is NOT evil!) Shadow. Psychic is magic itself, and you can find Psychic anywhere. Talk to Psychic for spiritual enlightenment and power. The other Elements are Metal, Fire, Lightning, Light, and Time. I really do not know how exactly to talk to Time, but I know that Time is also an element. After beleiving in the Elements, you'll start to know that they have a certain personality and you'll be closer and more in harmony with magic and nature. Then, when Psychic starts to really like you, you'll start to have intuition and perhaps foresight. Soon, you might be able to sense precenses around you. Some entities can be good and others malicious. Just be careful and make sure you can understand telepathy and intuition well. Yes, there are unseen creatures, but they exist just as much as we do and they feel emotions like we do. I've communicated with a lot of entities and I've been tricked by quite a few of them. If you beleive in fairies, know that there are Brownies, household fairies. If you need to know anything about them, just internet search them and when you're done, clear the history so that no one finds out. Well, hopefully this is helpful for you.
Hannah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2012, 03:43:34 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan (learning)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 21, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »

How do you other teens go about studying paganism? Do you read every book you can get your hands on, or do you read books about specific things? Are any of you lucky enough to be able to take classes somewhere or have pagan friends to study with? Especially for people who's parents either don't know or don't approve, how do you practice and actually *be* pagan?

I'm asking because I'm feeling stuck. Since I'm not really part of an actual *religion* (Wicca's the closest, minus the deities and a few other things), so I don't really know how to continue researching. My parents know, but aren't really that supportive, so I can't get any help there, and I'm the only one I know who's pagan. How do you guys deal with it?

For the past year or so I've essentially been a solitary. Like you, I don't fit any specific parameters, though I guess at this point I'm somewhere in between Druidry and Neo-Wicca. Frankly it doesn't matter much to me.
My parents are supportive of my faith; my mother came from a Christian background and my father a Muslim one, and I was never raised with any religious training. My mother is even fascinated with Paganism and sometimes casually calls herself a Pagan.
Up until now I've been relying on books and, of course, the glorious internet with forums such as this one. I made a couple of friends who have also expressed interest in Paganism, but their parents are highly opposed to those practices, so it is difficult for me to get an opportunity to study with them. I recently found a group of Pagans about five minutes away from my town and plan to meet with them on September 17th, but I'm pretty sure I will be the only teenager there and I'm worried about being accepted by their community.
As of now I am not really looking for a coven to join; I feel as though if I need a coven I will run into one eventually.

Like one, that on a lonely road     
     Doth walk in fear and dread,    
And having once turn'd round, walks on    
     And turns no more his head:    
Because he knows, a frightful fiend    
     Doth close behind him tread.

-"Rime of the Ancient Mariner," Samuel Taylor Coleridge
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: August 06, 2008, 01:34:58 pm »

How do you other teens go about studying paganism? Do you read every book you can get your hands on, or do you read books about specific things? Are any of you lucky enough to be able to take classes somewhere or have pagan friends to study with? Especially for people who's parents either don't know or don't approve, how do you practice and actually *be* pagan?

I'm asking because I'm feeling stuck. Since I'm not really part of an actual *religion* (Wicca's the closest, minus the deities and a few other things), so I don't really know how to continue researching. My parents know, but aren't really that supportive, so I can't get any help there, and I'm the only one I know who's pagan. How do you guys deal with it?
for studying, i go on the internet, and also borrow my brother's girlfriend's B.O.S. occasionaly.  i write my own book of shadows, with all the bigninner stuff (casting circles, calling quarters, ect)and a couple of spells.  whenever i feel the need to learn somthing, or if i need a specific spell, i read about it.  i also like to read about the history of pagan religions.  as for specific religions for you, do some research.  there are also different traditions of wicca, so you might like to find one that suits you best.  as for support, my best friend is into it too, but you should search for people who will support you.  try teaching your parents some of the more interesting parts of it, so that they can accept it more(its not just some witch cult, its a really interesting branch of spirituality) teach your friends about it too, and if they find it really inktreguing, you won't be alone(but hey, you can't force them to convert into a full-fledged pagan, but they will probobaly be more supportive).  and you can find other places, like the site your on right now, to be around other people who will support you. well, i'm kinda getting payed to babysit my little brother now, so i'll get going.

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: August 06, 2008, 04:48:19 pm »

Welcome to TC!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: August 06, 2008, 07:59:27 pm »

Welcome to TC!
thanx

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.