The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 12:50:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 12:50:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How long have you been 'pagan'?  (Read 10311 times)
Lemon
Apprentice
Last Login:January 12, 2009, 03:15:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

Subterranean Homesick Blues Girl

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 27, 2007, 10:48:09 am »

what age most of you started exploring religions/paths outside the mainstream and how you got started.

I was young when I first started researching pagan religions, the first one I started with was Wicca and I was about 14 years old. It started when my sister brought home a Wiccan book, which was unfortunately by Silver Ravenwolf. It took me a year or two to figure out what was fluffy and what wasn't.

How did this affect your family situation?

At first my mother was really against it because of the witchcraft that was involved, and I don't blame her. My dad just thought it was a phase so he didn't care. Both were correct in their suspicions. I had no clue what I was doing with the magic part of it, and kept doing generic spells to get a boyfriend.  Roll Eyes
And my dad was right because I didn't stay Wiccan for very long.

But, I'm glad that they allowed me to explore a religion. I was never raised into a religion, besides generic little Christian stuff. We never went to church or read the Bible though. So, I grew up in a very liberal situation. In my family you're the weird one if you are really religious. That's probably why I'm a pagan who isn't extremely religious. I don't freak out if I forgot a festival, and I usually just pray instead of doing elaborate rituals.

Have there been many advantages/disadvantages to starting young?

I'd say that because I started off young I was really naive and believed everything I read. I went through an embarrassing fluffy stage where I thought everyone was persecuting me because of my religion, even though no one knew I was a pagan.

But, I guess since I started off so young I was able to go beyond the fluffy stuff by the time I turned 18 (which is my current age). I also basically have my path figured out, for the time being. There were a few years where I was really concerned with keeping the Wiccan label, I don't know why, and it kept me from furthering my spirituality.

I'm glad I started off young because now I'm still kinda young, but I have an idea of what I'm doing. It would have been better if when I was 14-17 years old, I just researched the beliefs instead of practicing them. But, it's all part of the learning process. You have to make a few mistakes to get where you need to be.

"Authors and actors and artists and such - Never know nothing, and never know much."
-Dorothy Parker

"You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows."
-Bob Dylan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 30, 2007, 11:56:10 am »

Considering there are quite a few teens floating around TC, i was wondering what age most of you started exploring religions/paths outside the mainstream and how you got started.
How did this affect your family situation?my family hates it.but they are devoted nazis.they hate everything
Were any of you raised with a pagan religion?does nazi count?
And do you think your age has affected your ability to follow your path - i.e. do you think you would have handled certain things differently at a different age?

I am just on the cusp between being a teen/adult (though being 19 i have legally been an adult for a full year now Roll Eyes) and i feel personally having waited this long before really exploring my spirituality has meant that i am in a less naive/more mature position to assess everything, which i think is a good thing. Having said that, if id started a few years ago then by now i might have a clearer idea of my direction, which would also be good Tongue

What are your thoughts?

i am 33 now.i became pagan in 95 in the middle of the bosnia conflict.i had long since dumped my family's nazi crap by that time.i was 20 at that time.i had tried all others except pagan.but after talking to a very well educated witch.i knew what i was,but not a witch.i became a celt.praises to the old gods,i have been one since.my family is still furious and still keeps trying to force jesus on me.but age makes no difference.christians sure don't put age into consideration  when the bring the fear of their god on people.so why should we take age into consideration when we bring them out of fear and into the light?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:40:12 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), Reason: edited by Marilyn to fix the quote code » Logged

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: December 30, 2007, 05:41:09 pm »

christians sure don't put age into consideration  when the bring the fear of their god on people.so why should we take age into consideration when we bring them out of fear and into the light?

Shawn, this is getting very close to a religious attack on Christianity.  While some Christians may force fear on their congregants, this is not a universal truth of Christianity.

Please be careful to avoid religious attacks on The Cauldron - including religions like Christianity.  Thank you.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: December 31, 2007, 08:13:29 am »

christians sure don't put age into consideration  when the bring the fear of their god on people.so why should we take age into consideration when we bring them out of fear and into the light?

As Shadow pointed out, not all Christians try to make everyone afraid of their God so they can use that fear to get them to obey their interpretation of what their God wants them to do.

Also "fear of God" (God-fearing individual, etc.) is often used in an old sense of the word "fear" that isn't used now except in references to God. In this sense, the word "fear" means "respectful awe."  The command to "Fear God" doesn't mean "Be afraid of God" but "Have a respectful awe of God."  A "God-fearing individual" isn't one who is afraid of God or what God might do but one who has a respectful awe of God and what he can do.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 31, 2007, 08:55:26 am »

what age most of you started exploring religions/paths outside the mainstream and how you got started.

I wasn't raised in a mainstream religious household, I was raised deist/ agnostic. I had always a fascination with the occult since I can remember. My interest in the occult lead me to discover pagan religion when I was 13. I spent some time studying Wicca, even with a High Priestess for a year. I found out it wasn't my thing. I wanted something closer to my ancestry, a faith that could truly express who I am. It was then I discovered CR and have been an adherent of such ever since.

I've rubbed of on them. Now they're swearing by the Gods and Goddesses!  Wink

Were any of you raised with a pagan religion?
Nope.

It can be hard to be taken seriously by others when starting so young.

And do you think your age has affected your ability to follow your path - i.e. do you think you would have handled certain things differently at a different age?
Eh, not really.
Jixijenga
Apprentice
Last Login:October 05, 2008, 06:42:43 am

Religion: Asatru

A little short for a stormtrooper.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 01, 2008, 08:57:36 pm »

I've had the same thing happen. I have been banned from my best friend's house because his father (who is a preacher) decided that I was evil, said he wasn't even going to pray for me anymore, and that I'm not allowed back into his house. How nice.

*chuckles* 18 is free game, as far as I'm concerned. Actually in Virginia, 16 is free game too. But I prefer the older women, and thusly I am to be marrying a 26 year old woman. I imagine I'm going to have to have some "coming out" talk with her one of these days, as she is a Christian. When I do, I'll be sure to post the story of what transpires here.

-Cyril Keir
Master of Darkness

Hah, it's always a fun thing. I sort of laugh and wonder how many of them would be cowering if the country was invaded. Since I am belligerent beyond help, I'd probably be saving them from all sorts of things (that are bound to happen, despite whoever is invading or being invaded) and do it thanklessly.

And yeah, eighteen is free game. And good luck on coming out.

Lol, my boyfriend''s parents won't accept that their 'little baby boy' has grown up, he's 18 for the gods' sake. He nominally lives in a different dorm building and we move his bedding back there when his parents come up Wink .

Yeah, some people just cannot possibly accept it. Fortunately he's out, and not 30 and being sheltered/strangled by his parents.

Also "fear of God" (God-fearing individual, etc.) is often used in an old sense of the word "fear" that isn't used now except in references to God. In this sense, the word "fear" means "respectful awe."  The command to "Fear God" doesn't mean "Be afraid of God" but "Have a respectful awe of God."  A "God-fearing individual" isn't one who is afraid of God or what God might do but one who has a respectful awe of God and what he can do.

HA! I KNEW I WAS RIGHT. I got into this huge, prolific argument about it and somebody agrees with me. I'm not crazy. +1 for me.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: January 02, 2008, 12:54:19 am »

Considering there are quite a few teens floating around TC, i was wondering what age most of you started exploring religions/paths outside the mainstream and how you got started.

I turned twenty a few months ago so I'm not sure it would count.

I was about fourteen.  The high school I went to had these old books on the occult in the library and for some reason I was drawn to them.  I went through them, but for the life of me I cant remember a single thing in them.  Anyway, those books were what started my interest in paganism.  I did more research and I practiced Wicca for a while and then moved on to a recon path that I somewhat practice today.

My mother was generally accepting and my father was slightly freaked out at first.  Now we rarely mention it.

My only contact with other pagans was via the internet.  On the first message board I went on, I knew considerably less than the other people on them.  It took me a while to find where I belonged.  This first message board was more Wicca-based.  I then started to post to a recon board but I didn't like that much for some reason.  Then I found TC which has a nice diversity.

Well, if I started now I would probably lose my temper when in a debate much less.  I would also be more mature and comfortable in my skin to know if anything strikes a chord to me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 05, 2008, 06:02:18 pm »

Urm, I guess I started investigating other religions when I was about 13 or 14. Good times. I just couldn't put up with bland monotony of a Catholic lifestyle when you've not been Catholic since you understood what that meant.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
Jessica A
Journeyman
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 02:00:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic whos starting on her Pagan Path

Pretty much live by my own rules, not society ones

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 05, 2008, 06:09:08 pm »

I am just on the cusp between being a teen/adult (though being 19 i have legally been an adult for a full year now Roll Eyes) and i feel personally having waited this long before really exploring my spirituality has meant that i am in a less naive/more mature position to assess everything, which i think is a good thing. Having said that, if id started a few years ago then by now i might have a clearer idea of my direction, which would also be good Tongue

What are your thoughts?

Violet,

Feel you on this. 

Hey, I'm 26 and still feel I'm more of an teen then an adult for sure in some ways.  Here are my answers to your questions on this.

Always felt more non religious, but really didn't bother me until I learned about this.  Was like 23 or 24 when I really started to think about it and etc.

How did this affect your family situation?  Not really because it has been this way my whole life.

Were any of you raised with a pagan religion?  Nope, Roman Catholic.  Even though I was baptize, 1st communion, conformation.  My father went to an college that was pretty much more religious and that turn him off big time.  My mother understands, but still religious and she went to an catholic school for grammar school, but public for high school.

Have there been many advantages/disadvantages to starting young?  Really not sure.

And do you think your age has affected your ability to follow your path - i.e. do you think you would have handled certain things differently at a different age?  Yup for sure.

Think thats it for now.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:00:59 pm by Jessica A » Logged

"Live, Laugh, etc"
LunarWolfRaven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 23, 2008, 02:15:51 am

Religion: Slightly Occultist, Slightly Witch, Mostly Druidry, I Also Beleive in the Norse Deities, and Sort of My Own Style.

Character is what determines wisdom or authority.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 14, 2008, 12:15:28 am »

I've beleived in magic since fifth grade but didn't know about paganism until eighth grade. I sort of made up my own practice about beleiving the Elements to be deities all on their own. For more info. on that, go to the 'how do you study' and you'll find details. I never had any real Psychic abilites until seventh grade when I suddenly could tell what would happen in the next second and intuition. Then in eigth grade I learned about Wicca and followed the path until a few months later I learned it wasn't really my style and just started to become an Occultist and then a little bit of Witchcraft, and now I still beleive some Occultism and Witchcraft but now I also believe in Faeries, the Norse deities and mostly the Druidic path. So I've been Pagan for four years. My parents and brother are all devoted christian but surprisingly they don't care. Well, I think my brother is still a little dissaproving but I think he still respects me for my choice. He probably prays for me behind my back, though... Angry   
Zeke126
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 06:52:06 pm

Religion: Shamanic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 15, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

i was wondering what age most of you started exploring religions/paths outside the mainstream and how you got started.
Were any of you raised with a pagan religion?

I found Paganism and Witchcraft a few years ago (rather, it found me) when i was 12. It took util Christmas for me to get my first 3 books on Wicca. By then, i was already using witchcraft, but i never learned the basics, so i went to them. I thaught i could use it to mold my life and everyone around it to my desires, but of course i learned later that we change small things for ourselves by being good people. Witchcraft and general Paganism gave me a better life and stronger discipline.

Family-wise, it was secretive until recently. I never told my parents what i did until I wanted to expand my practice. They still don't know everything about what i do, just that i'm Wiccan. I have an aunt who is Wiccan as well, so if i need an elder's guidance, i go to her. I was a Christian for a while when i was 7, but we left the church since my parents were uninterested in it.

I'd say there is a good advantage and a rough setback in practice of Paganism. An advantage is that it gives strong discipline and it gives a head start for when you're older. The disadvantage is that formal rituals are challenging to do with a skeptical family, so witchcraft is generally out of the question, unless you make a style of it that doesn't need materials. Overall, starting early gave me discipline that made my life much better, so i'm safely able to say starting young was good. If i was older i may have gotten the same disciplines anyway, as well as formal use of witchcraft, but i don't complain about it. I love the craft, the people in it, and the joy it gave my life to practice.
AutumnDawn
Apprentice
Last Login:January 29, 2009, 08:10:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 24, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »

I'm 15 and have studied Paganism and witchcraft for about a year. It didn't affect my family at all. My family is very open and are not attachted to any religion.
I'm so glad that my parents were so open about me being a Witch.
I don't think there are any disadvantages to starting young. I know what I want and I'm smart about my choices. I think that starting young will give me more time to bring in as much information as I can. There is just so much to learn and no one can learn it all. Starting young gives me much more time Smiley]

All that we are is a result of what we have thought.
                                                    -Buddha
redbaron998
Journeyman
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 12:36:11 am

Religion: Odinist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 26, 2008, 12:40:55 am »

What are your thoughts?

Well I have 23 days left till im not longer a "Teen" so I reckon Ill give my experinces

I first started looking into paganism around 16, since the beginning I was only really interested in Asatru. Wicca and the others never had any draw to me. I was unhappy being methodist (raised as) and was looking to explore other paths. I have always been a student of religious paths and ever was into buddhism awhile back in middle school. Anyways I ended up joining the Catholic church at 17 and have to admit I enjoyed it much more than protestantism (It felt more real) but it still wasnt quite what I was looking for so a year later I stopped going to Mass.

Anyways about 18 months ago I started studying more about Asatru, about a year from now I started wearing the hammer, and about 9 months ago I started calling myself Asatruar.

So I am still learning and locing it but havent felt this at peace with my spirituality all my life. Finally I had found a path thats ideals fit mine EXACTLY.

As for relatives and such, a couple friends and my GF of 2.5 years know, my parent just know im not christian anymore (I would probably tell them if it came up, but they havent asked)

To Teach is to Learn, to Learn is to Teach
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #28: June 26, 2008, 09:00:34 am »

Tomas,

Your avatar seems to be in some sort of private web space...  Every time I load a page that includes it, I'm being asked for a password.  Could you please move the image to someplace that will not require everyone to log in to see it?  (If you need image hosting, I've seen Photobucket recommended and I know many of our members use it.)

Thanks!

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: June 26, 2008, 09:02:13 am »

Tomas,

Your avatar seems to be in some sort of private web space...  Every time I load a page that includes it, I'm being asked for a password.  Could you please move the image to someplace that will not require everyone to log in to see it?  (If you need image hosting, I've seen Photobucket recommended and I know many of our members use it.)

Thanks!

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

And now (immediately after my having posted) it's gone entirely, so maybe you just realized this yourself and have taken care of it.  Sorry about that, and thanks again!  Smiley

Sara

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)