The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 11:04:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 11:04:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid Resources  (Read 19119 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 12, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »

Here's another (though I haven't read it personally, I've heard it's quite good)

Seán Ó Duinn's The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint

I found that book downstairs in the stuff I bought at the Renfair last year. Still haven't read it, though... it's on the top of my "to read" pile.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 03, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »

Wow, this is just...This is amazing.
I actually printed out the list of books to go hunt them down ^^.
Thanks a bunch.
I really appreciate all of this.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: July 03, 2007, 03:42:31 pm »

Wow, this is just...This is amazing.
I actually printed out the list of books to go hunt them down ^^.
Thanks a bunch.
I really appreciate all of this.

Thanks for reminding me.  I have more to add to the list.

*puts that on the to do list*

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 03, 2007, 09:16:58 pm »

Thanks for reminding me.  I have more to add to the list.

*puts that on the to do list*

Have you read the imbolc book that llewellyn published?  Is it any good, if you had?
I have heard that it focuses a lot on brighid, of course, but I don't know how accurate it is...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:26:01 pm by Underwater Thing » Logged

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: July 03, 2007, 09:37:49 pm »

Have you read the imbolc book that llewellyn published?  Is it any good, if you had?
I have heard that it focuses a lot on brighid, of course, but I don't know how accurate it is...

Are you referring to Candlemas:  Feast of Flames, by Amber K and Azrael Arynn K?

If so, yes, I have.  It does a pretty decent job of summarizing the mythology, history (of the saint), and traditional rituals associated with Imbolc.  None of this, though, is as substantive as I've seen in other books, or presented in as scholarly a manner.  In other words, it's a pretty informal book:  no footnotes or endnotes, and a pretty scanty bibliography that includes some great sources, as well as some I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

(*coughDJConway&SilverRavenWolfcough*)

The ritual and celebration sections are very Wiccan oriented -- not surprisingly, since that's the authors' background.

Interestingly, this book does discuss the possibility that Brighid might be associated with other, similar goddess -- and idea I'm currently pursuing (rather rabidly) in my own studies, as you've probably seen in other posts of mine on other threads.   Wink

Definitely not the worst book I've seen, and pretty decent as an overview of Brighid and the traditions surrounding her.  But not the best, either.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 16, 2010, 10:26:46 am »

*looking through list*

There are several which spark my interest. Can someone give me an opinion on them?

Clark, Rosalind, The Great Queens:  Irish Goddesses from the Morrígan to Cathleen ní Houlihan, Barnes and Noble Books, 1991.

Condren, Mary, The Serpent and the Goddess:  Women, Religion, and Power in Celtic Ireland, HarperCollins Publishers, 1989.

Green, Miranda, Celtic Goddess: Warriors, Virgins and Mothers, British Museum Press, 1995.

Hutton, Ronald, The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles:  Their Nature and Legacy, Blackwell Publishing, 1993.

I guess the book by Hutton is just as good as Stations of the Sun? I wonder about the others. They don't have to be as strictly scientific as Hutton's, but they shouldn't be too much simplicistic big-mother-goddess-matriarchy-like. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: October 17, 2010, 01:18:47 am »

Clark, Rosalind, The Great Queens:  Irish Goddesses from the Morrígan to Cathleen ní Houlihan, Barnes and Noble Books, 1991.

It's been too long since I read this one.  I don't remember much about it.  I just checked the index, though.  It does include some info on Brighid, but not nearly as much as the other books you've listed.

IOW, I wouldn't start with this one.  Cheesy

Condren, Mary, The Serpent and the Goddess:  Women, Religion, and Power in Celtic Ireland, HarperCollins Publishers, 1989.

Excellent, and includes two chapters on Brighid.

Green, Miranda, Celtic Goddess: Warriors, Virgins and Mothers, British Museum Press, 1995.

Excellent, and includes a very good section on Brighid, specifically.

Hutton, Ronald, The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles:  Their Nature and Legacy, Blackwell Publishing, 1993.[/i]

Excellent; and excellent in the same ways Stations of the Sun is excellent.  Well researched, lots of citations.  Very similar in tone to Stations of the Sun.  I read it ages ago and it formed a very good foundation for the rest of my research.  It doesn't contain a lot about Brighid, specifically, though, IIRC.

Of these books, I think I'd recommend Green and Condren before the others, assuming you're looking primarily for info on Brighid.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 17, 2010, 05:06:50 am »

Of these books, I think I'd recommend Green and Condren before the others, assuming you're looking primarily for info on Brighid.
Thanks. Yes, I'm looking primarily for info on Brighid, but it wouldn't hurt to learn more about other celtic gods and the celts generally to have some context. Wink I'm collecting my own reading list on Brighid in my blog. So I can read on after the other. Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: October 17, 2010, 05:07:40 am »

Excellent, and includes two chapters on Brighid.

I want to add a caveat to my recommendation of Condren's The Serpant and the Goddess.  It's been a few years since I read that book, so I just took a few minutes to scan through it again, mostly the two chapters on Brighid. 

As far as I saw in my rather cursory scan, the info *about Brighid* looks pretty solid and aligns with what I've read in other sources.  The chapter on Brighid as Goddess lays out the scant references to Brighid in the mythology, and even includes a bit about Brighid as Lawmaker, which you don't seen in most other sources.

However, there are some weaknesses.  Again, based only on my quick scan, it looks like this book was written during the "Great Universal Mother Goddess" period.  So there are references to that, and at least some of the analysis comes from that angle, and there's a little bit of a sort of "ultra-feminism" perspective evident even in the Brighid as Goddess chapter.

I just wanted to point this out so you'd be aware.  I'm sure you can separate the wheat from the chaff, though, and I still think the info on Brighid is definitely worth the read.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 17, 2010, 05:09:54 am »

Thanks. Yes, I'm looking primarily for info on Brighid, but it wouldn't hurt to learn more about other celtic gods and the celts generally to have some context. Wink I'm collecting my own reading list on Brighid in my blog. So I can read on after the other. Smiley

Then Green's Celtic Goddess book is a must-read.   Smiley  It's full of solid info on a large variety of Celtic goddesses, including a good piece on Brighid.  I find myself going back to it over and over again, especially when I'm looking for back-up for something I'm posting on TC.   Wink

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 17, 2010, 05:14:01 am »

I want to add a caveat to my recommendation of Condren's The Serpant and the Goddess.  It's been a few years since I read that book, so I just took a few minutes to scan through it again, mostly the two chapters on Brighid. 

As far as I saw in my rather cursory scan, the info *about Brighid* looks pretty solid and aligns with what I've read in other sources.  The chapter on Brighid as Goddess lays out the scant references to Brighid in the mythology, and even includes a bit about Brighid as Lawmaker, which you don't seen in most other sources.

However, there are some weaknesses.  Again, based only on my quick scan, it looks like this book was written during the "Great Universal Mother Goddess" period.  So there are references to that, and at least some of the analysis comes from that angle, and there's a little bit of a sort of "ultra-feminism" perspective evident even in the Brighid as Goddess chapter.

I just wanted to point this out so you'd be aware.  I'm sure you can separate the wheat from the chaff, though, and I still think the info on Brighid is definitely worth the read.
I suspected it a bit from the name of the title, but the 'serpent' part also intrigued me so I think it's definitly worth sifting through.

And btw, I can stand great-mother-goddess stuff, I also read Starhawk. I just like to get some reliable historical info first so I'm able to discern the fluff from the bunny. Wink

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: October 17, 2010, 05:16:35 am »

I suspected it a bit from the name of the title, but the 'serpent' part also intrigued me so I think it's definitly worth sifting through.

And btw, I can stand great-mother-goddess stuff, I also read Starhawk. I just like to get some reliable historical info first so I'm able to discern the fluff from the bunny. Wink

Yeah, I understand, and agree completely.  I do think the historical info is solid.

Ali
Master Member
Last Login:January 05, 2012, 02:13:36 pm

Religion: Druidry (Celtic Pagan)

/|\ Awen /|\

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 18, 2010, 01:05:25 pm »

Just wondering.... has anyone else read The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint, by Sean O Duinn?

I read it just last month and found it very interesting, though as the title implies, very much a balance between information on Brigid as a Pagan goddess, and on St. Brigid from Catholic tradition. The book seems to concentrate primarily on the folk traditions in Ireland surrounding Brigid's worship/reverence, which naturally tends towards an agricultural/fertility focus in which Brigid is a maternal and crop-/harvest-blessing figure. But overall, very intriguing. Wondering if anyone else has read this and might share their thoughts?

--Ali

For the whispering poet and enchanted naturalist that dwells within each of us...

/|\ Contemplations and Practice on the Druid Path /|\
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: October 18, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »

Just wondering.... has anyone else read The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint, by Sean O Duinn?

This book came up just a few days ago in another thread.  My summary was very similar to yours.   Smiley  I think this is a must-read for people who want to learn about Brighid.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: November 27, 2010, 09:29:44 pm »

I was surfing around a little bit, and came across this page of resources on the Ord Brighideach website.  I don't recall seeing this page before, so I don't know how long this list has been up or if the links are all good.  I don't have the spoons to check them all tonight.

Anyway, I wanted to post this here, in the interest of if keeping this thread current, and in case any of these links are useful to others.

~ Aster

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)