The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:36:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:36:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aromatherapy Advice?  (Read 3872 times)
Magpie
Apprentice
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 03:50:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 26, 2007, 11:16:19 pm »

Hi everyone!

Much to my (very pleasant) surprise, I became the proud owner of a Spa Mist fountain mister, which has the capacity to diffuse essential oils in addition to moistening the terribly dry air in my bedroom and dorm room (which is the reason it was given to me in the first place). But me, being the crazy pagan that I am, got all giddy when I saw that it was suitable for oil diffusion, as I've been reading about aromatherapy here and there on the internet for some time, having an interest in the subject, and I've been using a small terracotta ornament to diffuse a particular blend through my dorm. But being mostly inexperienced with aromatherapy using such a device and knowing the good folks here at TC are rather well versed in a veritable plethora of things, I figured I would poll the masses as to what I should do.

If you had to pick three different oils to recommend to someone on a limited budget for use in a mister, what would you recommend?

I already have a blend of equal parts frankincense and lavender, a blend of tea tree and lavender, to cedarwood, cypress, myrrh, and frankincense, many of which were bought for use in rituals but not exclusively dedicated for such. I'm not certain about the cedarwood, cypress, or tea tree/lavender blend, but from what I can deduce, frankincense, myrrh, and the frankincense/lavendar blend should be safe to use in the mister.  I also have a few various blends all made by the same company, the components of which I don't remember, but the peppermint/lemon/lime one I have with me at the moment was hurting my throat just diffusing via a terracotta diffuser, so I suspect it may not have been as essential as they claimed to have been.

I want to add at least three oils to my "library" (as it were) to expand my capabilities. At the very least I want to find lavender, as it's extremely flexible. I'm not sure where to go otherwise, and I was hoping the good folks at TC could give me some advice. I'd mostly be looking for oils with sedative properties, or oils useful for a dorm room. I'm not sure what properties are useful in oils to be used in a mister. I would want to avoid too many oils with a stimulant property, as I find that I am often made high-strung and irritable even by too much exposure to such oils via my little terracotta diffuser. I suspect an antiseptic would be useful, but it seems that a lot of antiseptic oils are stimulants as well. Bergamot seems like a good choice for those dreaded winter months in a bleak dorm, or rosemary for its mental properties, but I'm not certain whether or not they'd be safe for use in my mister. In fact, I'm hesitant about what oils *would* be appropriate for such a device.

Any recommendations? Any advice? Any reputable books to recommend for my pending library/bookstore trip? I'm so worried about picking up a book by a less-than-reliable source without realizing it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Be well,
Magpie

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 27, 2007, 08:26:58 am »

Any recommendations? Any advice? Any reputable books to recommend for my pending library/bookstore trip? I'm so worried about picking up a book by a less-than-reliable source without realizing it.

Unfortunately, what I know about Aromatherapy could easily fit on the head of a pin with room to spare, but I've plugged this post on TC's main page in the hope that someone will see it and be able to help.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Magpie
Apprentice

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 27, 2007, 08:53:25 am »

Unfortunately, what I know about Aromatherapy could easily fit on the head of a pin with room to spare, but I've plugged this post on TC's main page in the hope that someone will see it and be able to help.

Aw, shucks! Smiley I appreciate it, thanks.

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 27, 2007, 09:59:30 am »

Hi everyone!
Much to my (very pleasant) surprise, I became the proud owner of a Spa Mist fountain mister, which has the capacity to diffuse essential oils in addition to moistening the terribly dry air in my bedroom and dorm room (which is the reason it was given to me in the first place). But me, being the crazy pagan that I am, got all giddy when I saw that it was suitable for oil diffusion, as I've been reading about aromatherapy here and there on the internet for some time, having an interest in the subject, and I've been using a small terracotta ornament to diffuse a particular blend through my dorm. But being mostly inexperienced with aromatherapy using such a device and knowing the good folks here at TC are rather well versed in a veritable plethora of things, I figured I would poll the masses as to what I should do.

If you had to pick three different oils to recommend to someone on a limited budget for use in a mister, what would you recommend?

Be well,
Magpie

First let me say how envious I am!  Wish I had one. I have a mister but it does not have oil capabilities and I have never used one that does.

But, I do use essential oils in a tea-light (candle) burner.  I picked up some oils at a Renaissance Faire in the fall. In addition to going for the obvious (lavendar, etc.) I go for the ones that have a personal meaning to me. I bought some wisteria because it remined me of my grandmother's garden. The familiar scents can bring a feeling of peace.

If you can, it might be a good idea to scout out a shop (new age, health food, occult, etc.) in your area that will let you take a whiff of their scents before purchasing.  They could also be helpful with decision making.

Some scents are close to expensive ones. I use Lily of the Valley in place of Blue Lotus, the scent is similar but costs far less.

Have fun experimenting around too, some scents that work one way for some, might work another way for you.

Good Luck!

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 27, 2007, 10:03:26 am »

Be well,
Magpie

A very quick google search brought this up, which is quite helpful;

http://www.herbalmusings.com/magical-properties-essential-oils.htm

I would recommend Scott Cunningham's "Magickal Herbalism" and IIRC, there is quite a lot of stuff on how to make your own essential oils in some Christopher Penczak's books.

Also, good essential oils are *not cheap, at least not around here, esp. for a student. I just priced jasmine at my local co-op at almost 30$ for 5oz.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Magpie
Apprentice

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 27, 2007, 10:31:54 am »

First let me say how envious I am!  Wish I had one. I have a mister but it does not have oil capabilities and I have never used one that does.

But, I do use essential oils in a tea-light (candle) burner.  I picked up some oils at a Renaissance Faire in the fall. In addition to going for the obvious (lavendar, etc.) I go for the ones that have a personal meaning to me. I bought some wisteria because it remined me of my grandmother's garden. The familiar scents can bring a feeling of peace.

If you can, it might be a good idea to scout out a shop (new age, health food, occult, etc.) in your area that will let you take a whiff of their scents before purchasing.  They could also be helpful with decision making.

Some scents are close to expensive ones. I use Lily of the Valley in place of Blue Lotus, the scent is similar but costs far less.

Have fun experimenting around too, some scents that work one way for some, might work another way for you.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips! I was so surprised to open it. I hadn't even mentioned that it was something I had been wanting, but I guess my stepdad noticed me ogling them in the health section of our Whole Foods and made a connection!

I picked up the frankincense and myrrh for personal reasons, like you with the wisteria. I always liked the smell of church (I was Catholic before I was pagan) and I missed it. It's not quite the same as incense but it'll do in a pinch. I was looking those up to see if they're useful for anything I might need (fatigue, colds, mental strain, headaches - one might say student-itis) and I seem to be doing pretty good with them. I want to start looking into the therapeutic properties of oils as well as their personal and metaphysical ones. Wink Luckily, both the shop near my home and the one by my campus generally have sample bottles available so I can see if the scents will irritate me. I have trouble with some florals stimulating post-nasal drip, which is no fun - and that's why I don't have honeysuckle oil.  Tongue

A very quick google search brought this up, which is quite helpful;

http://www.herbalmusings.com/magical-properties-essential-oils.htm

I would recommend Scott Cunningham's "Magickal Herbalism" and IIRC, there is quite a lot of stuff on how to make your own essential oils in some Christopher Penczak's books.

Also, good essential oils are *not cheap, at least not around here, esp. for a student. I just priced jasmine at my local co-op at almost 30$ for 5oz.

Wow, $30.00 is definitely not something good for a student budget! But then again, I don't know if I would necessarily be looking for a 5 oz bottle. 0.5 to 1 oz. will probably be good, as I only need to put a drop in the mister each time I use them.

I hadn't looked at the site you mention because I wasn't originally going to use the mister for magical use. I was searching for the therapeutic properties of essential oils (in treating cramps, headaches, fatigue, and so on), so I skipped sites that listed magical properties. I hadn't considered using the mister for magical use as I don't really use oils other than as offerings and sacrifices, but there might be a way to do it. It might help with meditation, as it will keep the scent moving through the air rather than let it fade away (and thus lose its effectiveness).

Does Cunningham's Magickal Herbalism include therapeutic uses as well? I've heard people say good things about his herb and oil books, but I don't know if they're quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and as a note: these are the sites that I found particularly interesting and relatively well-organized:
http://www.aworldofaromatherapy.com/essential-oils-body.htm
http://www.aromatherapypoint.com/essentialoils/

Thanks again Smiley

Be well,
Magpie

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 27, 2007, 12:16:50 pm »

I already have a blend of equal parts frankincense and lavender, a blend of tea tree and lavender, to cedarwood, cypress, myrrh, and frankincense, many of which were bought for use in rituals but not exclusively dedicated for such. I'm not certain about the cedarwood, cypress, or tea tree/lavender blend, but from what I can deduce, frankincense, myrrh, and the frankincense/lavendar blend should be safe to use in the mister.  I also have a few various blends all made by the same company, the components of which I don't remember, but the peppermint/lemon/lime one I have with me at the moment was hurting my throat just diffusing via a terracotta diffuser, so I suspect it may not have been as essential as they claimed to have been.

I prefer to make my purchases from SunRose Aromatics.

That said, good frankincense is expensive - my .5 oz bottle was $95.  I have a bottle of common Aura Cacia lavender that sells for ten bucks down the road - SunRose has lavender from the Alps that goes for $55 for 5 oz - too strong to use on the skin.

All that aside - clary sage is currently discounted to $13.95 for .5 oz; Tea Tree is $8.20 for .5 oz.  If you wish to steer away from the perfumy and flowery aromas, I like styrax (pricey) and vetiver (cheaper), both of which are very earthy.

Now, I'm going to go look at the diffuser.  (FWIW, we were taught in massage skool not to employ diffusers that use heat, as the heat breaks down the oil.)

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 27, 2007, 12:57:54 pm »

Does Cunningham's Magickal Herbalism include therapeutic uses as well? I've heard people say good things about his herb and oil books, but I don't know if they're quite what I'm looking for.

A bit, but it is pretty much straight up magickal. Sorry, I misread the intent of your thread Wink

I would also suggest Jeanne Rose's herbal books, they are quite good, and include recipes for how to make your own aromatherapy mixes. I also like aromathyme.com, they have nice things and she always posts lots of cool information.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 27, 2007, 01:21:56 pm »

I don't know much about aromatherapy -

But you can get some oils from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.  Their perfumes are 100% oil.  And they come pre-mixed, and the imps (tiny little vials) are pretty cheap.  You could get a HUUUUUUGE selection of them! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 27, 2007, 03:09:28 pm »

I've been using essential oils for years.

One piece of advice I can give you is that you need to be careful about which essential oils you mix. Some of them really don't go together. There are about four different types of essential oils when referring to the respiratory system. These are: headclearing/refreshing, uplifting, relaxing and soothing/comforting. If I give you a small list of which ones go in which category you will begin to see which oils don't mix well together- for instance, one which has uplifting properties and one which has relaxing properties.

Headclearing/refreshing: eucalyptus, geranium, lemon, peppermint, tea tree.

Uplifting: rosewood, bergamot, orange.

Relaxing: chamomile, jasmine, lavander, rose.

Soothing/comforting: chamomile, frankincense, marjoram.

Of these, my favourite smelling oils are lavander, jasmine, marjoram and rose. Unforunately though, rose is the most expensive oil there is.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 27, 2007, 03:29:28 pm »

I used to sell a herbal dream pillow, mixes of various herbs for different purposes, and of course an essential oil was part of the mix. I think I could not get by without lemon balm, it's in the mint family, an anti-depressant with a delightful lemony scent. I would then wish for an earthy scent, like clary sage,it's antiseptic and grounding. And I personally would go for a rose, I so love roses, it always reminds me of walking though rose gardens, summertime and love and, oh, just all things wonderful. But to get a true rose (rose absolute) is very expensive, as it takes several thousand rose petals to yield a tiny bit of oil. Most 'rose' is rose geranium, a nice plant, but not a rose. At least I used to get it wholesale, even then I believe it was $50 for an ounce. But it lasts forever and you need only a tiny bit.

Many oils sold in shops are cut with a carrier oil (sometimes up to 80%!), sunflower or somesuch so read the labels very carefully. Pure essential oils generally cost more, but it depends on the herb.

As to healing books, my favorite is  "The Master Book of Herbalism" by Paul Beyerl. He goes into the healing properties and a bit of folklore for many, many herbs. I would find it hard to exclude the magical properties from the healing, however, I myself would want to know all the properties of an oil I was using. Therefore I also have his "Compendium of Herbal Magick" (I even forgive the use of the 'k'). I think if I could only have two herb books I could get along quite well with those.

As I always cross reference several sources I also have  I have used "The Practice of Aromatherapy" by Jean Valnet, MD, she deals mainly with the healing properties. Also "The Art of Aromatherapy" by Robert Tisserand, a decent book although the herb section is small.  He goes into all forms of uses and includes many flowers. Both are inexpensive paperbacks. I also have the standards; Culpeppers Complete Herbal and A Modern Herbal by Mrs. Grieve. Jeanne Rose and Rosemary Gladstar also put out very good books.

And oh yes, I looooove Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I have to stay away from the site or I would spend the rent money there in a minute!
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: December 27, 2007, 09:27:05 pm »

Did you mean 0.5oz rather than 5oz?  $30 for 5oz of nearly any E.O. seems like a really, really super good buy, suspiciously so in fact.  For jasmine, $30 for half an ounce sounds about right, though...

Florals will be the most expensive, though, because it takes so much of the flower to render a little bit of oil.  Oils that come from oilier things (like citrus fruit, for example) will be less expensive; I got half an ounce of sweet orange for like $5, I think.  Maybe less on sale.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 27, 2007, 10:48:55 pm »

Did you mean 0.5oz rather than 5oz?  $

whoops, yes indeed. Thanks, Star.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Magpie
Apprentice

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 27, 2007, 11:42:26 pm »

I prefer to make my purchases from SunRose Aromatics.

That said, good frankincense is expensive - my .5 oz bottle was $95.  I have a bottle of common Aura Cacia lavender that sells for ten bucks down the road - SunRose has lavender from the Alps that goes for $55 for 5 oz - too strong to use on the skin.
-snip-
Now, I'm going to go look at the diffuser.  (FWIW, we were taught in massage skool not to employ diffusers that use heat, as the heat breaks down the oil.)

*whistles* Well then, those are some hefty prices. Now that I know what I'm wanting to get myself into, I'm wondering if I shouldn't settle for just anything that won't kill me! Also, the diffuser is heatless. It's an ultrasonic thingy... I'm sure there's better words for it. But it breaks up the things into tiny little pieces  that float around... I'm not much for technical terminology Cheesy so I hope this is making sense.

I've been using essential oils for years.

One piece of advice I can give you is that you need to be careful about which essential oils you mix. Some of them really don't go together. There are about four different types of essential oils when referring to the respiratory system. These are: headclearing/refreshing, uplifting, relaxing and soothing/comforting. If I give you a small list of which ones go in which category you will begin to see which oils don't mix well together- for instance, one which has uplifting properties and one which has relaxing properties.

Oooh, wonderful! I knew I liked frankincense and lavender together for a reason. Thanks so much! That's a nice, simple classification guide. I'll have to jot it down somewhere.

-snip-

That's good to know about the oils being cut with a carrier, I had no idea. I can imagine that would make it a little less-than-advisable to diffuse through a room... although maybe not. It would probably just decrease their efficiency. Any thoughts?

I'll be sure to look for the books you mention, too - they look good, from what I can tell. I'll look for your suggestions; they sound like they have the properties I'm looking for. Now to make sure they don't irritate me. I know I'd probably forgo the rose as I'm not actually a fan of most rose scents. It's probably because the ones I've encountered have all been synthetic, but I'm hesitant anyways. Once bitten, twice shy?

Did you mean 0.5oz rather than 5oz?  $30 for 5oz of nearly any E.O. seems like a really, really super good buy, suspiciously so in fact.  For jasmine, $30 for half an ounce sounds about right, though...

Florals will be the most expensive, though, because it takes so much of the flower to render a little bit of oil.  Oils that come from oilier things (like citrus fruit, for example) will be less expensive; I got half an ounce of sweet orange for like $5, I think.  Maybe less on sale.

I reckon that it's good that I'm not terribly fond of florals? ^_^ It's a bit of a shame, because I'd like to give some of them a chance, but it's not worth the price.

Thanks everyone!

be well,
Magpie

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 28, 2007, 09:47:27 am »

I reckon that it's good that I'm not terribly fond of florals? ^_^ It's a bit of a shame, because I'd like to give some of them a chance, but it's not worth the price.

Thanks everyone!

be well,
Magpie

eh....don't think like that, you can probably manifest what you need if you try Wink I will say that I have found some really ok-for-making-the-house-smell-good oils at the dollar store. I have even used my dollar store frankincense for divination and it works great. You just have to shop more carefully when you don't have a lot of money, and watch for sales. I forgot, I meant to post this as well-a very good site for herbs and oils, great prices too. You can buy just a tiny bit of some of the very expensive oils for ten dollars or less, which is a good way to try new things without committing the rest of your lunch money for the month.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/c-e.html

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)