The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 05:39:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 05:39:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest Pagan Religion  (Read 17033 times)
Earthling
Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2007, 10:55:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 24, 2007, 03:20:20 pm »

Howdy All:

I recently saw a show on the Orkney Islands with some theories about the Pagan religious sites of its early inhabitants.  It mentioned that these pre-dated the Egyptians by a thousand years or so.

My question is, what is the oldest known Pagan religion?  And would Paganism be the oldest known religions in general?

Thanks for any replies.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 24, 2007, 03:32:30 pm »

what is the oldest known Pagan religion?

I know this might be seem mean, but "Pagan" would imply the modern movement of alternative religions. In that case it would most likely be Wicca. However, if you were meaning Pre-Christian religions, that devolves into best guess scenarios.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Earthling
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 24, 2007, 04:05:03 pm »

I know this might be seem mean, but "Pagan" would imply the modern movement of alternative religions.

I don't know what you mean.

Most people would say that ancient religious sites such as those at Stonehenge and Orkney Island are considered Pagan religious sites.  From my understanding this is a good description.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 24, 2007, 04:09:56 pm »

Most people would say that ancient religious sites such as those at Stonehenge and Orkney Island are considered Pagan religious sites.  From my understanding this is a good description.

Ok, so your saying the Pre-Christian Pagan, just needed a little clarification because you get some people who think that the Pagan Religions today are ones that have existed for millions of years. The oldest informal would probably go back to the Stone ages and most likely a shamanic religion. However, for a formal religion I would probably say Ancient Babylon or Ancient Egypt. I am just an amateur in the realm of history so I could be quite wrong. 

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 24, 2007, 05:54:30 pm »

There's a point of distinction here.

There's Pagan = pre-Christian European(ish) (and otherwise not very distinct) and there's neo-Pagan, usually shortened to Pagan, that's a modern religious movement.

ALL pre-Christian, non-Jewish religions in the Western world are called pagan.  It doesn't mean ANYTHING about what the religion is about or what it means.  Just that it's pre-Christian and not Jewish.

So it doesn't tie in to modern religions except that some modern ones are attempted recreations of the old ones.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 24, 2007, 07:06:33 pm »

What religions are oldest?

Without writing (ie. inscriptions, historical sources etc), it's really hard to understand the significant of ancient sites. (Even with it, it's problematic.) And grave goods and artistic expressions that far predate the use of writing may imply religious or spiritual belief, but it's all implication and assumption.

With literate cultures, most would say that either Egyptian or Sumerian (since we can decipher them - there are older undeciphered scripts, like Vin?a, but there's great debate there whether they are actually a writing system or just groupings of individual symbols).
Earthling
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 24, 2007, 09:14:35 pm »

What religions are oldest?

Without writing (ie. inscriptions, historical sources etc), it's really hard to understand the significant of ancient sites. (Even with it, it's problematic.) And grave goods and artistic expressions that far predate the use of writing may imply religious or spiritual belief, but it's all implication and assumption.

With literate cultures, most would say that either Egyptian or Sumerian (since we can decipher them - there are older undeciphered scripts, like Vin?a, but there's great debate there whether they are actually a writing system or just groupings of individual symbols).

Good post.  I have been doing some more reading and yeah, the Sumerians and Egyptians seem to hit around 3000 bc and the Babylonians and Assyrians not long after that.

The sites at Scotland are from about 3500-3100 bc and although it is speculation, the fact that the monuments all line up exactly with the equinox's point directly to a earth-based pagan religion.

But like you mentioned, there are cave drawings and other symbols that could pre-date that.
Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 24, 2007, 09:58:12 pm »

The sites at Scotland are from about 3500-3100 bc and although it is speculation, the fact that the monuments all line up exactly with the equinox's point directly to a earth-based pagan religion.

Y'know, I always wonder why, when there is a *celestrial* association to the orientation of a particular site, the base assumption is that this supports an *earth* based religion.  Wink

Or even that the purpose of such sites were religious at all -- perhaps some group or individual authority simply wanted to show their neighbours how great and glorious they were. (I've been to most of the early sites on Orkney, and others throughout Scotland. What strikes me most is "whoa, centralized authority work project!" It took alot of labour org and resources to put some of those sites together.)

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 24, 2007, 11:04:48 pm »

Or simply a need to know the seasons for agricultural reasons.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Earthling
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 24, 2007, 11:13:26 pm »

Or simply a need to know the seasons for agricultural reasons.

Yeah, you are most likely correct on that one. 

Agriculture was relatively new at that time and was quickly becoming a staple of civilization.

Good catch.
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 25, 2007, 07:28:58 am »

Y'know, I always wonder why, when there is a *celestrial* association to the orientation of a particular site, the base assumption is that this supports an *earth* based religion.  Wink

I think a lot of people use "earth-based" and "natural" as if they were synonyms.  I also think they don't always notice that that's what they're doing.  "Celestial" things are part of the "natural" universe, therefore things that relate to them are "earth-based."  I agree that the terminology doesn't really work well with celestial stuff, but there you have it.
Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 25, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

I think a lot of people use "earth-based" and "natural" as if they were synonyms. 

Yup, sure enough. Which leads back to the whole romantic sense of anything "natural" (usually equated with "primative") as good and desireable. (Even tho what people consider "natural" vs "unnatural" is rarely consistant, ime.)

Caroline
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 25, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »

Yup, sure enough. Which leads back to the whole romantic sense of anything "natural" (usually equated with "primative") as good and desireable. (Even tho what people consider "natural" vs "unnatural" is rarely consistant, ime.)

And which also leads some people to think that "natural" = "harmless."  Foxglove is perfectly natural -- harmelss, it ain't!
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 26, 2007, 12:21:49 am »

"Celestial" things are part of the "natural" universe, therefore things that relate to them are "earth-based."  I agree that the terminology doesn't really work well with celestial stuff, but there you have it.

One of my friends described his path as "universe-based".  Smiley

Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 26, 2007, 10:39:40 am »

One of my friends described his path as "universe-based".  Smiley

Hehe. I like that.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)