The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 08:53:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 08:53:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest Pagan Religion  (Read 17039 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 26, 2007, 11:47:48 am »

And which also leads some people to think that "natural" = "harmless."  Foxglove is perfectly natural -- harmelss, it ain't!

Gotta keep a careful eye out for that natural TP.  I've heard it's made of yard waste.  The all natural poison ivy coloring has me worried.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 26, 2007, 01:59:08 pm »

Gotta keep a careful eye out for that natural TP.  I've heard it's made of yard waste.  The all natural poison ivy coloring has me worried.

ROTFL

I get most of my cleaners and such at the health food store because of the reactions I have to 'standard' cleaners.  One time I got some seventh generation kleenex when my daughter had a cold.  She gave me a lecture on how my bio-friendly addiction had gone too far when I bought tissue that felt like sand paper.  I went back to the Kleenex Ultra soft. Wink
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 26, 2007, 08:32:29 pm »

I know this might be seem mean, but "Pagan" would imply the modern movement of alternative religions. In that case it would most likely be Wicca. However, if you were meaning Pre-Christian religions, that devolves into best guess scenarios.

I would add pretty much all religions were 'pagan' pre monotheism. And as far as I recall, the first attempt at monotheism was Egypt's Akenaten's attempt to make the Aten the single god of his people.

Phouka
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 26, 2007, 08:44:25 pm »

One of my friends described his path as "universe-based".  Smiley

Sounds great but the reality of it so far is that it is still just earth based.   The universerse is out there but we know precious little of it.
dryad
Apprentice
Last Login:May 28, 2009, 04:17:05 pm

Religion: Wiccanesque Hekate-worshipping pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 29, 2007, 03:56:04 pm »

My question is, what is the oldest known Pagan religion?  And would Paganism be the oldest known religions in general?
Do you mean "oldest" as in "been around the longest" or as "earliest?"  I honestly don't know the answer to either question, but "Paganism" probably doesn't count for what you're looking for simply because it is not one single religion.  Pagan, ie non-JCI religions, have been around continuously since religion started, but I don't know which particular ones could be quoted as being around the longest.

Interesting tidbit though... there is at least one neanderthal burial site that led archaeologists to suspect religion as a factor in why and how these individuals were buried.  I can't remember the site name, but I'm sure it would be easy to Google.

-Dryad
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 29, 2007, 04:29:54 pm »

Hmm, my mind is still working over what I want to say so I'm going to put it down as coherently as I can. Using the some of the more modern definitions of "paganism", couldn't one say that the oldest form of paganism would have been animism and the use of sympathetic magic?

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Innse_Iboth
Apprentice
Last Login:October 20, 2009, 06:38:24 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Ogham Ura

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 29, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »

I think the oldest known artefacts attributed to human religious impulses are items tentatively identified as deriving from a mother goddess cult, from the paleolithic era (~40,000 years ago).

As for the celestial alignments of prehistoric sites in Scotland - well, I've looked into this a fair bit, and there is a degree of complexity that suggests something more than a simple calendrical function, i.e. for identifying seasons, and deciding when to plant crops. Setting to one side of course the fact that the early population of Scotland were not actually that reliant on crops to justify devising such a calendrical system for that reason (they were more reliant on game up until Roman records begin). So immediately inferring some calendrical role risks making an assumption based on the misapplication of ideas developed to account for sites elsewhere, other than Scotland.

A guy from St Andrews published a study which was based on the alignments of prehistoric sites in Fife which he felt were strongly suggestive of a lunar cult active from about 8,000 years ago. (I will look it out and post details of this study if anyone is interested). Perhaps the most startling conclusion he reached is that the Scottish flag, the saltire, which has been used since the 9th century CE according to the historical record, but was probably a more ancient symbol of power, is actually a representation of these lunar alignments! I found that part a little hard to swallow I must confess.

Other celestial alignments seem unrelated to seasonal considerations and are based not on typical constructions such as stone circles or burial chambers but on other significant sites that are usually overlooked. For example, places where rivers ran through a deep gorge were incredibly significant to the prehistoric inhabitants of Scotland. We know this because of the royal inauguration sites found there, usually with a footprint carved into the rock to ensure the inaugurand correctly observes the position for the ritual, and with a basin carved into the rock for lustral purifications. These sites were significant because the surface of the water was deemed to be a membrane between this world and the other world, and that membrane was particularly tenuous the deeper in the earth it was found. Well, some alignments relating to these sites still exist and are preserved by the syncretisms of the early Christians who incorporated aspects of former practise into their observances. So form example sites of churches dedicated to early Scottish saints are often located on an alignment with one of these prehistoric inauguration sites and the position of the sunrise on the saint's feast day. The churches were usually built on the site of a pre-Christian ritual centre which is probably the origin of the alignment and also the reason for the selection of the date of the alignment as the saint's feast day. The amazing thing is that some of these alignments involve sites that are beyond each other's horizon.

I could go on about this indefinitely but I had better not.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 29, 2007, 09:49:15 pm »

I think the oldest known artefacts attributed to human religious impulses are items tentatively identified as deriving from a mother goddess cult, from the paleolithic era (~40,000 years ago).

I think that the "mother goddess cult" was pretty well debunked years ago. It crops up occasionally in modern pagan writings and writings based on the works of Gimbutas and other devotees, but there's never been any solid proof of any of that.

Everything that I've seen addressing the goddess cult idea pretty well falls under wishful thinking.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: March 30, 2007, 09:39:20 am »

I think that the "mother goddess cult" was pretty well debunked years ago. It crops up occasionally in modern pagan writings and writings based on the works of Gimbutas and other devotees, but there's never been any solid proof of any of that.

The idea of a universal mother goddess cult was debunked -- and the theories positing that "worship of a mother goddess" was the "original" religion.  It's still a reasonable interpretation for evidence in certain locales.   
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 30, 2007, 10:14:09 am »

I would add pretty much all religions were 'pagan' pre monotheism. And as far as I recall, the first attempt at monotheism was Egypt's Akenaten's attempt to make the Aten the single god of his people.

Phouka

Not really.  Akenaten's religion was his worship of Aten and himself and his wife.  He didn't like Amun too much since His priesthood was really powerful at that time.  Aten is called other gods in hymns like Ra, etc. 

Other deities have been found at Akhetaten in workshops so other deities were worshipped, we're just not sure if that was "against the state religion" or not. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 30, 2007, 11:35:49 am »

The idea of a universal mother goddess cult was debunked -- and the theories positing that "worship of a mother goddess" was the "original" religion.  It's still a reasonable interpretation for evidence in certain locales.   

I should have specified universal there, though I thought that's what the original poster was talking about. Might have misread it, though.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: March 30, 2007, 11:39:59 am »

I should have specified universal there, though I thought that's what the original poster was talking about. Might have misread it, though.

I went back and looked and the original post was talking about "a mother goddess cult", so that's what I was reading...universal.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: March 30, 2007, 11:45:11 am »

I went back and looked and the original post was talking about "a mother goddess cult", so that's what I was reading...universal.

*g*  I figured since she was saying "*a* mother goddess cult," as well as saying 'tentatively," she was referring to something specific; if she'd said "THE mother goddess cult" and left out the "tentatively," I would have been all over it.   Cheesy
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: March 30, 2007, 11:57:05 am »

*g*  I figured since she was saying "*a* mother goddess cult," as well as saying 'tentatively," she was referring to something specific; if she'd said "THE mother goddess cult" and left out the "tentatively," I would have been all over it.   Cheesy

I think you and I are about to link arms and go skipping down the symantics path. LOL

How about this? Universal Mother Goddess Cult = bad. Widespread Mother Goddess worship = OK.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: March 30, 2007, 11:59:46 am »

I think you and I are about to link arms and go skipping down the symantics path. LOL

How about this? Universal Mother Goddess Cult = bad. Widespread Mother Goddess worship = OK.

Bwahahaha!  Deal!  *shakes hand*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)