The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 02:25:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 02:25:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Being drawn?  (Read 5146 times)
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am
United States United States

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 30, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »

In other threads, I've told you all a little about my experience with the Irish goddess who is poking at me currently. I feel a very strong connection to Brigid, but I think Morrigan is poking me right now.

The cocky, annoying attitude really doesn't sound a whole lot like Brigid. And today when I went out for books, I kept seeing hordes, literally hordes, of black birds, including one crow sitting on the side of the road. There are other little things that point to it being Morrigan that is calling to me.

My question to you all is: How did you know what deitiy was right for you?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 30, 2007, 10:03:32 pm »

I'm about to go lay down for the night and I'll expand on this in the morning.

Basically it is like an "ah-ha!"-type of experience. You just feel and know it, and then confirm it through meditation, divination and propitiation of the deity.
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 31, 2007, 09:16:13 am »

I'm about to go lay down for the night and I'll expand on this in the morning.

Basically it is like an "ah-ha!"-type of experience. You just feel and know it, and then confirm it through meditation, divination and propitiation of the deity.

I'll give you an example with my experience with Bríd.

I've always had a strong affinity for my ancestry (Scots-Irish) and when I was just beginning my studies in paganism, I naturally felt pulled to the Irish Celtic deities, though I didn't know exactly who they were yet. While reading a book, I came upon a list of Celtic deities. I scanned through it and my eyes fell upon "Brighid". It was like I was hit with a lightning bolt of realization. I strongly felt that she was a deity I should form a relationship with. I didn't even know anything about her besides what the book said, something like "Brighid: goddess of fire and the home", but I felt like I already knew her.

I decided to do some research on who she was and then decided to set up a shrine to her. I gave a prayer and an offering and an overwhelming sensation came over me. It's hard to describe, I'd say it's like a feeling that you get when you hug your mother. Warm and loving. For me, it was a confirmation that I was to be a  faithful of Bríd. After further prayers and meditation, I just knew.

I would relate to me discovering my deities similarly to how a Puritan would discover how they received grace. It's an overwhelming sensation of realization and knowing. Then I confirmed it through approaching deity and examining his/her response either through divination, meditation or prayer.
shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 31, 2007, 12:20:15 pm »

In other threads, I've told you all a little about my experience with the Irish goddess who is poking at me currently. I feel a very strong connection to Brigid, but I think Morrigan is poking me right now.

The cocky, annoying attitude really doesn't sound a whole lot like Brigid. And today when I went out for books, I kept seeing hordes, literally hordes, of black birds, including one crow sitting on the side of the road. There are other little things that point to it being Morrigan that is calling to me.

Try showing some agnolidgement (pardon my spelling) to the crow. One of the forms The Morrigan comes in is a crow. Torann kept at bugging me most of my life. But i did not know it until i became pagan. Rather hilarious i think. Deities can be as silent as a wisper or as obvious as a giant zit on your nose (and just as annoying).

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 31, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »

I decided to do some research on who she was and then decided to set up a shrine to her. I gave a prayer and an offering and an overwhelming sensation came over me. It's hard to describe, I'd say it's like a feeling that you get when you hug your mother. Warm and loving. For me, it was a confirmation that I was to be a  faithful of Bríd. After further prayers and meditation, I just knew.

That sounds a bit similar to my experience with Morrigan (although, for me, the final "aha!" moment came in a dream, or a series of dreams). From that point on there was literally no turning back.

Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 31, 2007, 09:51:43 pm »

That sounds a bit similar to my experience with Morrigan (although, for me, the final "aha!" moment came in a dream, or a series of dreams). From that point on there was literally no turning back.

Well, I am pretty sure it's Morrigan.  Just little things point to Her. Mostly, yes, dreams. And the weird sensation that when I research her, someone is touching me.

shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 01, 2008, 04:15:01 pm »

Well, I am pretty sure it's Morrigan.  Just little things point to Her. Mostly, yes, dreams. And the weird sensation that when I research her, someone is touching me.
I think it is totally awesome for you. I like The Morrigan. Did you know she has three other names? Macha, Badb and Nemain. She is a triune goddess. Much like The Father, son and The Holy Ghost. There is quite a bit of legend about her. Just look in any celtic mythology book. I am dedicated to Taranis. But i pray to her alot to. I even had a black feather she gave me. But it got stolen when the 18 wheeler i was driving got wrecked. It was dropped by a crow in a cemetary feasting on a dead squirral over a grave. The crow cawed three times and dropped the feather. She was highly venerated by celtic warriors. I think it is great she has chosen you. Like Taranis. Her work is seldom apprieciated because of the dark aspects, but is necessary for survival. Great fortune and much happiness to you.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 01, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »

Did you know she has three other names? Macha, Badb and Nemain. She is a triune goddess. Much like The Father, son and The Holy Ghost.

I was under the impression that the Triple Goddess perspective was new?

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 01, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »

Created by Graves, yes. But what the OP was discussing is different from the MMC construct.
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 01, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »

The Maiden, Mother, Crone is, attributed to Robert Graves.

Triune gods and goddesses appear frequently in Celtic mythology, though they don't appear as Maiden, Mother, Crone. They usually appear as sisters or brothers or expressions of the functions of a deity.
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 01, 2008, 11:58:11 pm »

Triune gods and goddesses appear frequently in Celtic mythology, though they don't appear as Maiden, Mother, Crone. They usually appear as sisters or brothers or expressions of the functions of a deity.

Oh, okay. I see what you mean. I had read something on that, but dismissed it as fluff because of the MMC leanings. I'll have to look back on the chapter that talks about that and read more.

I'm trying to find more information on Her, but it's a pain to do. I don't trust many websites, because the Celtic religion is a big fad for most people, that, and the succubus video game character. It's such a pain to filter through all the crap. I found a couple books at the local Borders, and they, too, need to be filtered though, but I'm having a bit more luck with them.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 02, 2008, 12:06:09 am »

I'm trying to find more information on Her, but it's a pain to do.

Try these books, if you can find them (relatively easy on line -- I love Amazon's used book sellers and Abebooks):

The Guises of the Morrigan:  Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle:  Her Myths, Powers, & Mysteries, by David Rankine and #$#$#$#$.

The Great Queens:  Irish Goddess for the Morrigan to Cathleen ni Houlihan, by Rosalind Clark.

Celtic Goddesses: Warriors, Virgins, and Mothers, by Miranda Green (one of my faves).

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 02, 2008, 12:12:08 am »

Try these books, if you can find them (relatively easy on line -- I love Amazon's used book sellers and Abebooks):

The Guises of the Morrigan:  Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle:  Her Myths, Powers, & Mysteries, by David Rankine and #$#$#$#$.

The Great Queens:  Irish Goddess for the Morrigan to Cathleen ni Houlihan, by Rosalind Clark.

Celtic Goddesses: Warriors, Virgins, and Mothers, by Miranda Green (one of my faves).

I will add them to my reading list. I am currently sifting through a general mythology book, "The Druidry Handbook" and "The Solitary Druid." Yes, there's misleading stuff and fluff, but really, I'm having better luck with them than some of the other stuff.

I found a book at borders that claims Wicca is based off Druidism and is the REAL Celtic Recon.  Roll Eyes

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 02, 2008, 12:31:28 am »

I found a book at borders that claims Wicca is based off Druidism and is the REAL Celtic Recon.  Roll Eyes

If you're particularly interested in Celtic Recon, definitely check the CR FAQ out, along with its reading list:

http://paganachd.com/faq/index.html

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 02, 2008, 08:56:34 am »

I will add them to my reading list. I am currently sifting through a general mythology book, "The Druidry Handbook" and "The Solitary Druid." Yes, there's misleading stuff and fluff, but really, I'm having better luck with them than some of the other stuff.

I wouldn't consider those books "fluffy", they were just written for a Neodruidic audience and not so much a CR one. They're pretty good books if Neodruidry is something you're interested in.

For general mythology, I'd recommend Proinsias MacCana's Celtic Mythology, Gods and Heroes of the Celts by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt, and Gods and Fighting Men by Lady Augustus.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.