The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 02, 2021, 09:21:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 09:21:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use  (Read 8973 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: December 31, 2007, 11:48:21 am »

What a bunch of wankers.

Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

"Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 31, 2007, 12:49:20 pm »

What a bunch of wankers.

Are you freaking KIDDING me?  Nobody's more avid about legal music than I am.  All my freaking music is either purchased or legally download it with artist permission (via label sites and the like--the indies are big on free samples).  I don't go around giving out copies willy-nilly either.  But I do have a mass storage device where I keep digital copies of my music collection, which is large-ish.  It works as a kind of juke box for my family, so all our music can be kept in and accessed from one place.

If the Feds decided this was a problem, they'd most certainly have a fight on their hands on my end.  After the pains I've gone to in order to avoid illegal downloads (for instance, legally downloading all the songs my friends suggested for my recent Dia de los Muertos party--cost me a pretty penny, too!), I'd completely lose it if they decided to come after me.  Makes me want to find a good lawyer now.   Angry

Brina

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 31, 2007, 01:06:45 pm »

Are you freaking KIDDING me?  Nobody's more avid about legal music than I am.  All my freaking music is either purchased or legally download it with artist permission (via label sites and the like--the indies are big on free samples).  I don't go around giving out copies willy-nilly either.  But I do have a mass storage device where I keep digital copies of my music collection, which is large-ish.  It works as a kind of juke box for my family, so all our music can be kept in and accessed from one place.
Brina

I have to admit that I totally do not understand what they're trying to do. I realize the RIAA is big, but do they have any idea how many people they're going to have to go after? I mean, even Bill Gates occasionally has to choose which windmills to tilt.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 31, 2007, 01:20:43 pm »

What a bunch of wankers.

Oh please. That makes about as much sense as tits on a boar hog.  Roll Eyes

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: December 31, 2007, 01:41:23 pm »

What a bunch of wankers.

It surely didn't take you this long to figure that out.

I'll admit to having some illegal stuff in our collection, though mostly it's stuff that's there because we never purged our collection after deciding we needed to make sure new acquisitions were legal.  (It's...  a rather extensive collection, which I offer as explanation but not as excuse.)  Still, if you're going to come after me, do it for the stuff that's actually illegal, not for music I bought and paid for 100% legally and have copied so that I may use it on my iPod (because I am sure not going to pay TWICE for the same music just to be able to hear it both on CD and on the Pod) and so that I have a backup in case the CD is lost or destroyed or otherwise rendered unplayable.  Gah.  The RIAA is getting out of hand.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 31, 2007, 03:23:34 pm »

If that's the game they want to play, they are going to kill CD sales off completly.  Nobody is going to buy new music on a device they cant play away from home or the car.  When's the last time you saw anyone at the gym with a portable CD player?  Even a lot of cars have MP3 players now.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 31, 2007, 05:00:35 pm »

Still, if you're going to come after me, do it for the stuff that's actually illegal, not for music I bought and paid for 100% legally and have copied so that I may use it on my iPod (because I am sure not going to pay TWICE for the same music just to be able to hear it both on CD and on the Pod) and so that I have a backup in case the CD is lost or destroyed or otherwise rendered unplayable.  Gah.  The RIAA is getting out of hand.

My thoughts exactly.  Why the hell would I have to pay twice for the exact same music when I have a CD that I can copy on my computer?  The only thing that would stop me is if new versions of Windows Media Player prevents copying from a disk.

If that's the game they want to play, they are going to kill CD sales off completly.  Nobody is going to buy new music on a device they cant play away from home or the car.  When's the last time you saw anyone at the gym with a portable CD player?  Even a lot of cars have MP3 players now.

So by this move they would actually hurt the music industry?  Makes since, too bad the RIAA can't see that.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: December 31, 2007, 05:05:08 pm »

The only thing that would stop me is if new versions of Windows Media Player prevents copying from a disk.

*snort*  Only way that's stopping me is if the only computer I have to rip music on is the one at work that I don't have priviledges to install programs on.  There's other software out there for copying music from CD.

And ever since digital music became an issue...  well, the RIAA hasn't been very good about seeing how it could use the new media to its benefit.  They've been more about trying to lock it down so that it can't hurt them, which...  isn't working so well for them, I don't think.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 31, 2007, 05:11:05 pm »

*snort*  Only way that's stopping me is if the only computer I have to rip music on is the one at work that I don't have priviledges to install programs on.  There's other software out there for copying music from CD.

And ever since digital music became an issue...  well, the RIAA hasn't been very good about seeing how it could use the new media to its benefit.  They've been more about trying to lock it down so that it can't hurt them, which...  isn't working so well for them, I don't think.

Yes, and yes.

I reread the article Lyric posted and I wonder how they are catching the people who copied from a CD but didn't share with anyone.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 31, 2007, 05:32:09 pm »

So by this move they would actually hurt the music industry?  Makes since, too bad the RIAA can't see that.
A very great deal of what they're doing is remarkably shortsighted, and likely to hurt them more than help them in anything but the very short run.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: December 31, 2007, 05:53:09 pm »

My thoughts exactly.  Why the hell would I have to pay twice for the exact same music when I have a CD that I can copy on my computer?  The only thing that would stop me is if new versions of Windows Media Player prevents copying from a disk.

Because if you don't buy a separate copy for every format and device you own, they are losing money they could have made if you had to pay for it many times over. It's pure corporate GREED talking.  Of course, it was helped along by the huge jump in the recording industry's profits after everything came out on CD. In about 10-15 years they made almost as much money they had all the years before the CD (since the first records came out).  They have come to see this level of income/profit as "normal" and therefore feel they are entitled to continue making money at this level or better forever.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 01, 2008, 05:05:19 pm »

Dude.  They are more than hurting themselves; they're committing corporate suicide. 

When they do things like this, they piss off a lotta people, at least a few of whom will thereafter refuse to buy anything from members of RIAA just on general principle.  And every time they do this, a few more people will refuse to pony up the money.

They're giving independent labels who choose not to be $#&*$&#$@ about it a huge boost, and making otherwise law-abiding people that much more likely to say "!#@% those corporate fat cats, I'll share my files as far and wide as I see fit, since they're gonna try to imprison me for being a customer anyway."

I reread the article Lyric posted and I wonder how they are catching the people who copied from a CD but didn't share with anyone.

The bastards probably have their own spyware, or are paying a Chinese company make some for them.  Angry

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 01, 2008, 05:35:55 pm »

Because if you don't buy a separate copy for every format and device you own, they are losing money they could have made if you had to pay for it many times over. It's pure corporate GREED talking.

Too bad it just makes them blend in w/the rest of the kleptocrats.

Of course, it was helped along by the huge jump in the recording industry's profits after everything came out on CD. In about 10-15 years they made almost as much money they had all the years before the CD (since the first records came out).  They have come to see this level of income/profit as "normal" and therefore feel they are entitled to continue making money at this level or better forever.

They're in for an awful shock, then.  When the economy finally keels over, people aren't gonna pay for entertainment, they'll find something free (or very cheap), whether that something is illegal downloads (and their prickish behavior is exactly why pretty much everybody I know IRL sees no ethical problem w/illegal downloads) or concerts by local bands.  Hell, I already use the library almost exclusively for my reading (which, while not free, is still cheaper by far than having to buy everything).  I've thought about borrowing CDs from the PL and burning copies of ones I liked, but figured the universe hates me and I'd get caught.  I don't give a fig about loss of corporate profits (and really, if I were doing that they still wouldn't be losing profits because I so rarely buy CDs due to budgetary constraints, so it wouldn't cut into the money I'm not spending anyway).  I don't really see why it's stealing any more than recording onto a tape off the radio is stealing.  And when they do wicked things, I have less incentive to refrain from a crime that I don't even see as a crime.

They're gonna come out the other end of this upcoming recession/depression completely bankrupt because they lost any sense of company loyalty consumers might have felt.  Assuming, of course, that it's just another recession/depression and not the beginning of the end of the American Experiment.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 02, 2008, 12:40:59 pm »

Btw, I just found this today, and while the comments are kinda partisan, and it's poorly written, it's still pretty funny:  The Right to Read

And in surfing this fellow's site, I found Boycott BluRay and HD-DVD.

And in a similar vein, I hear the rumor that even books are gonna have RFID tags in them once they're ubiquitous.  Does anyone know anything about that, or where w/i the books said tags will be, so I can take a hammer to the right part of the book?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: January 02, 2008, 01:19:26 pm »

And in a similar vein, I hear the rumor that even books are gonna have RFID tags in them once they're ubiquitous.  Does anyone know anything about that, or where w/i the books said tags will be, so I can take a hammer to the right part of the book?

A quick google got me an article from MSNBC (back in 2003, so no claims on what might be happening with it now):
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3131173/

Looks like at least at the time, the plan was to use it to track inventory inside a library, with passive chips that would be deactivated when books were checked out, so that they could not be used to track people or anything like that.  (And although I don't think it's explicitly stated, it looks like this is something that individual libraries would be putting in place, not publishers, so books that you buy wouldn't have the chips.)  Which seems kind of like a good use of the technology to me (in fact, that was the first place my mind went to on reading your post), though the article does also make good points about potential vulnerabilities and abuses of the system.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)