The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 02, 2021, 08:37:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 08:37:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use  (Read 8972 times)
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 02, 2008, 01:48:57 pm »

What a bunch of wankers.

Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

"Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html
Egads, what jackasses!

So, back in the day, when we made cassette recordings from vinyl since albums weren't portable, they're saying this was illegal too?

This is precisely the reason it's been years since I bought a new CD, and I've never paid for a download.  (Never would, either.  I just don't trust MP3s - or computers.  If I pay for music, I'm damn well gonna have a hard copy.) 

I'll continue to buy my CDs used, thankyouverymuch.  I'm sure they'll try to crack down on that soon, too...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 02, 2008, 02:09:06 pm »

A quick google got me an article from MSNBC (back in 2003, so no claims on what might be happening with it now):

Yeh, when I've got time I really need to do some extensive research on this matter, methinks.  And maybe buid myself an RFID Zapper.

Looks like at least at the time, the plan was to use it to track inventory inside a library, with passive chips that would be deactivated when books were checked out, so that they could not be used to track people or anything like that.  (And although I don't think it's explicitly stated, it looks like this is something that individual libraries would be putting in place, not publishers, so books that you buy wouldn't have the chips.)  Which seems kind of like a good use of the technology to me (in fact, that was the first place my mind went to on reading your post), though the article does also make good points about potential vulnerabilities and abuses of the system.

See, I might've been okay w/a use like that pre-Patriot Act, but now...  Gov't and corporate intrusion in peoples' personal lives is really getting out of hand, and anymore I find myself against anything that makes that intrusion easier for them.  Like the National Animal Identification System.  I'm against that for multiple reasons, privacy being only the tip of the iceberg w/that.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: January 03, 2008, 12:22:19 am »

So, back in the day, when we made cassette recordings from vinyl since albums weren't portable, they're saying this was illegal too?
Grey area.  Taping for yourself was conceded (grudgingly, by the recording-industry folks) to be legit - I think I'd rather say "not illegal" rather than "legal" - but copies for friends weren't really.  Unregulatable, of course, except by the one means the industry did succeed in having applied:  a surcharge on blank cassette tapes.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #18: January 03, 2008, 07:55:46 am »

Unregulatable, of course, except by the one means the industry did succeed in having applied:  a surcharge on blank cassette tapes.

I was around for that particular uproar.  I've always had a private suspicion that they were responsible for djs suddenly starting to talk over the beginnings or endings of song - just to make taping from the radio less effective.

Mind, I have a lot of old cassettes with 'dj patter' on them, and it is part of the nostalgia when I dig them out and play them. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 03, 2008, 11:42:30 am »

I was around for that particular uproar.  I've always had a private suspicion that they were responsible for djs suddenly starting to talk over the beginnings or endings of song - just to make taping from the radio less effective.

Y'know, it sounds like such a petty thing for them to do, but you may be right.  Since iPods and digital music came out, there's been a LOT less of that crap.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 03, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »

We're All Thieves to the RIAA

You buy a CD. You rip a digital copy so you can put it on your Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) iPod or Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Zune. You're not worried; you paid premium price for the CD. You're not some lawless pirate. You wouldn't dream of sharing your music on a P2P network.

HAHAHAHAHA!  More signs they'll be kissing their sorry asses goodbye in relatively short order...unless they get a gov't bailout like the auto and airline industries so frequently do.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 03, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »

Grey area.  Taping for yourself was conceded (grudgingly, by the recording-industry folks) to be legit - I think I'd rather say "not illegal" rather than "legal" - but copies for friends weren't really.  Unregulatable, of course, except by the one means the industry did succeed in having applied:  a surcharge on blank cassette tapes.

Sunflower
So, what I don't understand is how is downloading something to your computer so you can play it on your iPod different from putting something on a cassette tape so it plays in your car stereo?  Granted, the guy in question also did illegal file sharing (which equates in my mind with making that cassette copy for a friend...  or a lot of friends...) but they're raising this additional stink about just having copies on his computer of music he purchased legally.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: January 03, 2008, 01:28:07 pm »

but they're raising this additional stink about just having copies on his computer of music he purchased legally.

THAT is where I have the huge problem, too.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: January 03, 2008, 09:36:25 pm »

So, what I don't understand is how is downloading something to your computer so you can play it on your iPod different from putting something on a cassette tape so it plays in your car stereo?  Granted, the guy in question also did illegal file sharing (which equates in my mind with making that cassette copy for a friend...  or a lot of friends...) but they're raising this additional stink about just having copies on his computer of music he purchased legally.
Interestingly, my mind drifted idly to this thread earlier today, and I happened to think of the answer to what you're asking, before I had any idea you'd asked it. Smiley

What the RIAA would really like to do, is get the system rigged so that it works like proprietary software:  customers buy nothing more than the right to use those bits'n'bytes, subject to rigid restrictions on how they can use them.  Take a look at the EULAs for much of "your" software - what you own isn't the software, it's a license to use that software (that's the L in "EULA"), and it frequently contains clauses limiting the number of devices you can install it on, and/or restricting the number of copies you can make (very often, you can make one backup copy but are not legally permitted to use it unless your main copy goes toes up).

The RIAA is enamored of this idea; they think if they get it applied to music, they will become as rich as Bill Gates.

Me, I see Nemesis sneaking up in their blind spot, bearing a fiery sword whose name is Open Source.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)