The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 12:32:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 12:32:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Morrighan as an Earth Goddess?  (Read 10770 times)
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 28, 2008, 05:37:20 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Insular Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 03, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »

So, who is Anu? 

Good question.

A primal Irish Goddess. Has a bountiful aspect and a maleficent aspect. Grand mother of Ecne a very old Irish God of knowledge and enlightenment.

For anything else you would have to sort out which references are really Anu and which are really Danu.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 03, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

Good question.

A primal Irish Goddess. Has a bountiful aspect and a maleficent aspect. Grand mother of Ecne a very old Irish God of knowledge and enlightenment.

For anything else you would have to sort out which references are really Anu and which are really Danu.

And, just to muddy the waters further, I believe I've seen both Anu and Aine linked to Brighid.

A lot of the confusion stems, I think, from the fact that many of the deity names that we think of as proper names are actually titles (like "High One" or "Shining One" or "Exalted One") that have come to be used as proper names.  So it's possible that one deity *could* have been known by several different titles, which, over the years, became like names.

That's why it's important to look at the attributes of each deity, as well as the name.  Which can also be confusing, of course, since we have so little to go on, what with practically no written records.   Undecided

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 04, 2008, 12:36:23 am »

And, just to muddy the waters further, I believe I've seen both Anu and Aine linked to Brighid.

Then you add to that multiple spellings of the same name (or is it the same name?) and people being named after gods etc and it all gets very difficult to sort out. Anu, Ana; Danu, Dana etc

I have just now seen that James MacKillop's Dictionary of Celtic Mythology says that The Morrigan is "probably an emanation of the Irish goddess Ana" and he also equates Ana with Danu.   Undecided (modified to fix spelling of authors name)

A lot of the confusion stems, I think, from the fact that many of the deity names that we think of as proper names are actually titles (like "High One" or "Shining One" or "Exalted One") that have come to be used as proper names.  So it's possible that one deity *could* have been known by several different titles, which, over the years, became like names.

You only have to look at the number of titles the JCI Old Testament god id known by - none of which are his actual name - to see how this is likely.

That's why it's important to look at the attributes of each deity, as well as the name.  Which can also be confusing, of course, since we have so little to go on, what with practically no written records.   Undecided

Look at lots of different sources for the attributes too. Then ask others what they think and then after all that UPG I guess.

Not only is there so little written material but there is so much "kenning" in what is written that if you don't already know what it is about it is very difficult to understand what it is about
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:37:57 am by ShadowScape » Logged

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 06, 2008, 11:01:19 am »

So, who is Anu? 

Anu is probably derived from Áine, a goddess popular in Munster and has strong earth and solar associations. 'The Paps of Anu' are actually associated with Áine by locals. Anu might be an older spelling of her name or an early epithet.

It's is my UPG that Áine/ Anu, Danu and Morrigan are separate and distinct deities.
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 06, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »

Anu is probably derived from Áine, a goddess popular in Munster and has strong earth and solar associations. 'The Paps of Anu' are actually associated with Áine by locals. Anu might be an older spelling of her name or an early epithet.

It's is my UPG that Áine/ Anu, Danu and Morrigan are separate and distinct deities.

Alternately Aine is possibly derived from Anu who is a very old Goddess. Depends who you listen to. It has also been put forward (etymology)  that Aine was originally a sun goddess. In which case neither is derived form the other.

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 06, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »

Alternately Aine is possibly derived from Anu who is a very old Goddess. Depends who you listen to. It has also been put forward (etymology)  that Aine was originally a sun goddess. In which case neither is derived form the other.

I'm sorry, Áine derived from Anu is what I should have said. Tongue

She appears to have both strong earth/ sovereignty of the land and sun connections. I've also heard it put forth that her sister Grian is her solar aspect while Áine is the earth/ land aspect, similar to Brighid's threefold aspects.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 06, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »

I'm sorry, Áine derived from Anu is what I should have said. Tongue

*Rubs head* It appears that I have a lot of studying to do.  It was kinda cool to think of TM as related to Anu, because I feel connected to both of them (I don't know much about Anu yet, she is still at the back of my mind).  I was researching TM, when the associate to Anu came up and I swear I heard crows calling...I thought maybe there was something to that.  Maybe TM is pushing me toward Her or something, I don't know.  I do know there is a lesson in there somewhere...there always is.

Is Grian another name for Igrainne?

*Síocháin*
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 06, 2008, 09:54:14 pm »

Is Grian another name for Igrainne?

I've never heard the name Igrainne- where have you come across it?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 06, 2008, 09:57:05 pm »

Don't laugh  Grin I heard it in The Mists of Avalon, but heard it somewhere on one of those websites with the Celtic Goddesses displayed in a list format.  I was just wondering...

*Síocháin*
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 06, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »

And isn't there a "Celtic" Goddess names "Grainne"?

*Síocháin*
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 06, 2008, 10:10:46 pm »

And isn't there a "Celtic" Goddess names "Grainne"?

Grainne is mentioned in the myths- the Fenian Cycle, to be exact. But she's not a goddess; she's the daughter of Cormac Mac Airt.

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 06, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »

Don't laugh  Grin I heard it in The Mists of Avalon, but heard it somewhere on one of those websites with the Celtic Goddesses displayed in a list format.  I was just wondering...

Unfortunately a lot of those websites pull from unreliable sources. I've never come across the name before, myself.

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 06, 2008, 11:13:17 pm »

I always assumed whenever I've run across it that it was another spelling for Ygraine - from the Arthurian myth.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 07, 2008, 11:29:05 am »

I always assumed whenever I've run across it that it was another spelling for Ygraine - from the Arthurian myth.

Ditto. The Anglicized spelling or what.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 08, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »

From Arthurian legend...his mother Ygraine...one of the various spellings I've come across.

Phouka

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)