The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2021, 01:26:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2021, 01:26:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Imbolc is Coming!  (Read 5758 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 02, 2008, 10:48:59 pm »

I'm feeling very much like I want to make this Imbolc very special.  I'm not sure why.  (Actually, I think it has something to do with this being the year that my older daughter turns 18.)

Anyway, I'm looking for fun, creative, meaningful, family-oriented ideas for ways to celebrate.  By family, I mean my husband and me, our 2 teenage daughters, their boyfriends or friends-who-are-boys  Wink , and my parents.

And, of course, only 2-3 of us are actually pagan...

But, since it's Brighid's Day, it's a particularly important day for me.

So, what do you do?

At this point, I'm thinking along the lines of taking the day off to *really* cook (maybe even some good Irish soda bread and some butter cookies -- yummmmmmm), and finding some kind of art project we can all contribute to.  Maybe a paint-your-own-pottery type of thing.  Or maybe a big canvas that we all paint on.

And, of course, I've considered a tattoo...    Cool

I don't know...  But I'd LOVE to hear your ideas!

Thanks!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 03, 2008, 12:41:02 am »

So, what do you do?

Imbolc is candle making time at my house.  Usually in a group, although this year I'm not sure I'm up to the home invasion.  Either way, dipping tapers always brings to mind a (further) return of the light.

Brina
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 03, 2008, 07:04:37 am »

I'd definitely get the tattoo! Lol. I've been designing my Goddess-inspired tattoo for ages and just find that there is SO much I want to put into it that I can't make my mind up.

Imbolc has always been one of my favourite festivals and tends to be focused mostly on candles- which I had a passion for collecting ever since I was little and wasn't Pagan. Therefore I love nothing more to welcome the spring with bright yellow candles. One year I painted daisies all over this huge yellow candle I had- unfortunately though it made me not want to burn it!

Spring cleaning is always something I have found myself doing at the beginning of February, which I know isn't exciting in the slightest, but there is just something about sorting out all my clutter that makes me feel really good about things. I find it easier to clear out the clutter of mind, when the clutter of my house has disappeared first!

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 07, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »

I'm feeling very much like I want to make this Imbolc very special.  I'm not sure why.  (Actually, I think it has something to do with this being the year that my older daughter turns 18.)

Anyway, I'm looking for fun, creative, meaningful, family-oriented ideas for ways to celebrate.  By family, I mean my husband and me, our 2 teenage daughters, their boyfriends or friends-who-are-boys  Wink , and my parents.  So, what do you do?
Thanks!

Imbolc is the time I burn the holiday (yule/solstice) greens. Outdoors in a fire pit, weather permiting. If the weather does not cooperate, then I just burn a small piece in my home fireplace.  I also keep a light buring all night.  I have a nice hedgehog made of bark that sits on my hearth at this time as well.

Although I do not follow a Celtic path, Imbolc (and other wheel holidays) are my way of honoring the changing seasons of the mid-west where I now live.

The green buring was something that I got from the Circle Sanctuary site a few years ago:

http://www.circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/candlemascustomslore.htm

Let us know how you decide to celebrate and how it goes!

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 07, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »

So, what do you do?

Imbolc (also known as The Quickening) is one of the quieter holidays we celebrate, we treat it as the first day of Spring and the promise that holds. I do a full Ritual, decorate with lots of fresh flowers, blessing the new candles and changing out all the old and outline the goals, practical and spiritual, for the coming year. I wish I had more fun ideas, but this holiday is usually just my husband and myself making plans and letting the Universe know where our energy will be heading this year.

As I live on the west coast, it is the time when the wild flowers really start to bloom, although there is still plenty of rain and chilly weather. It's a kind of organizing, active time, of moving out of the winter contemplative state. It also happens to work pretty well with our work schedule, as everything begins to pick up again, doing a few shows in Feb, more in March, and right back into full swing in April.
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 07, 2008, 05:46:34 pm »

You, too, huh?  I'm feeling nostalgic for this very reason.  We always watch the movie 'Groundhog day' and usually bake some sort of cookies or something.

Imbolc is candle making time at my house.  Usually in a group, although this year I'm not sure I'm up to the home invasion.  Either way, dipping tapers always brings to mind a (further) return of the light.

Brina
I LOVE this tradition. *smacks self upside the head* and wonders 'Why have I never thought of that?'  It's not as if I never make candles or anything and what better time (HELLO). 

I don't necessarily follow the wheel of the year, but do follow the path of the sun, as we have exclusively solar power out here.  This is our meager time of year and we honor all the blessings of the strengthening of the sun.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 10, 2008, 08:53:21 pm »

So, what do you do?

I don't really/barely have traditions for holidays, since I haven't been celebrating them terribly long.  One thing that does seem to be common in general for me is multiple rituals with different groups/traditions.  This year for Imbolc I'll be a ritual officer (the Eagle) in the Thelemic Feast of the Stars at my OTO local body.  (There's an introduction to these cross-quarter rituals here)  I also want to do something special honoring Brighid, possibly also involving the Pea-Hater, if he's interested.  (Who will be the Lion in the Feast, incidentally.)  I might do various creative things.  I might also be getting my cartilage pierced to mark my OTO first degree that weekend.  (First degree itself is happening this Sunday.)  And I will probably follow the Reclaiming tradition of making pledges/resolutions at Imbolc.  (Especially since I didn't for the secular New Year.)

So, lots of stuff.  And of course, I'll be keeping Brighid's flame in a group shift with the Cill here.

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 10, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »

We gave Imbolc a try and used to make and bless the year's supply of candles before this date hit.  But that seemed more Catholic, lol, than pagan...and it never rode well or natural.  We now just skip it, not being Wiccan or particularly Celtic in practice.  Instead we celebrate a syncretized form of Lupercalia that we call the Feast of the Wolf, with a bonfire and feast, and  a re-warding of the house-hold property.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 14, 2008, 01:52:26 pm »

I might also be getting my cartilage pierced to mark my OTO first degree that weekend.

Addendum: The Pea-Hater pointed out that it would be appropriate to get a piece of metal stuck in my body during a shift honoring a goddess associated with metalsmithing.  Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 14, 2008, 08:07:16 pm »

Addendum: The Pea-Hater pointed out that it would be appropriate to get a piece of metal stuck in my body during a shift honoring a goddess associated with metalsmithing.  Smiley

Hey!  I hadn't thought of it that way!  Hmmmm.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 15, 2008, 04:19:56 pm »

This Imbolc also happens to be my 30th birthday. I plan to get a new tattoo around that date, a triple moon symbol on my ankle. (The next one'll be something Celtic.) I'm not sure what the coven Imbolc ritual is going to be, since I'm not involved in planning it. I do want to find time to do an ADF-style Imbolc ritual for my work through their Dedicant program.

Oh, and I need to start seriously thinking about the front gardens and the raised-bed herb gardens I want to do out back this year. Imbolc is an excellent time to start garden planning, so you can get the seeds started around Ostara.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 15, 2008, 04:56:49 pm »

Oh, and I need to start seriously thinking about the front gardens and the raised-bed herb gardens I want to do out back this year. Imbolc is an excellent time to start garden planning, so you can get the seeds started around Ostara.

*sigh* I wish I could have my own little herb garden, but my father-in-law would just trample on it like he does anything else I've tried to do in the garden. Oh well, we'll be moving out of the house we're renting from them within the next year. For now I'll just have to make do with a window box.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 15, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »

*sigh* I wish I could have my own little herb garden, but my father-in-law would just trample on it like he does anything else I've tried to do in the garden. Oh well, we'll be moving out of the house we're renting from them within the next year. For now I'll just have to make do with a window box.

I wish I could have my own little herb garden too, but I kill everything! Cheesy Oh well.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 26, 2008, 05:16:37 pm »

So, what do you do?

At this point, I'm thinking along the lines of taking the day off to *really* cook (maybe even some good Irish soda bread and some butter cookies -- yummmmmmm), and finding some kind of art project we can all contribute to.  Maybe a paint-your-own-pottery type of thing.  Or maybe a big canvas that we all paint on.

Thanks!
A paint your own pottery sounds like a good idea.  Usually I get together with my friend, who has a ritual for Imbolc.  If we don't get together this year, I was thinking of just lighting some candles , some incense and praying to the Gods/Goddesses.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 11:30:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 03, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »

So, what do you do?

Thanks!

I just celebrated for the first time last night and felt so empowered afterward! What a great feeling. Smiley

I spent the early part of the day shopping for more candles for my altar (I now have 16; all were used last night but I'll only keep the Quadrant, Trinity, and two other altar candles always on the altar), and I bought some gorgeous dried plants to also add to my altar.

I also did some pre-spring cleaning in my apartment....I had SO MUCH energy yesterday.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)