The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 06, 2021, 12:45:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2021, 12:45:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Card Divination  (Read 5725 times)
ILuvEire
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 18, 2008, 04:15:58 am
France France

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 03, 2008, 12:27:35 am »

I have been reading about divining with playing cards. This sounded really cool, until I found out that they have the same meanings as Tarot decks (just without the major arcana). So I was wondering: are there other, original, ways of divining with playing cards?

-TYLER-
ITTR contact me for free Tarot readings.
Psionic Visionaries a site devoted to teaching psi.
I'm not going to do anything to you but if I were you, I'd be happy that I am not an artichoke-Endorra.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 03, 2008, 08:25:33 am »

This sounded really cool, until I found out that they have the same meanings as Tarot decks (just without the major arcana).

The ways I learned (back in the late 1960s) really did not have the same meanings as Tarot Cards. Similar meanings for some cards, of course.  My favorite methods used a 32 card deck and the card meanings were quite distinct from those of tarot cards.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 03, 2008, 08:46:29 am »

The ways I learned (back in the late 1960s) really did not have the same meanings as Tarot Cards. Similar meanings for some cards, of course.  My favorite methods used a 32 card deck and the card meanings were quite distinct from those of tarot cards.

This is interesting.  Could you tell us more?  Grin  Is there a good website to explain how to use playing cards in divination?  I've heard of using them before, but never talked to anyone who actually knew how.
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 03, 2008, 09:37:39 am »

This is interesting.  Could you tell us more?  Grin  Is there a good website to explain how to use playing cards in divination? 

I second that. I was actually looking up how to do it. I used to use playing cards way back when, but I don't remember what they all mean exactly. And I need to find the layouts again. Sheesh, go six years without reading, and let me tell you, it ISN'T like riding a bike.

I was never very.... skilled at it. I still say that my dreams were my best divination tool. But I am really interested in playing cards. It was either that, or runes for me.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 03, 2008, 03:39:19 pm »

I have been reading about divining with playing cards. This sounded really cool, until I found out that they have the same meanings as Tarot decks (just without the major arcana). So I was wondering: are there other, original, ways of divining with playing cards?
My grandfather used to do this.  One of the many things I wish I'd learned from him before he died.  The suits, as I remember, were similar to, but not the same as, Tarot - Diamonds = money, Hearts = love, Clubs=?, Spades=?. 

Books I've seen equate the suits exactly with clubs being wands and spades swords, but I don't remember how he did it.  I only remember the first two were more specific and more, um, "fortune-teller-y".  But that could have just been him; he had a flair for drama and could have been hamming it up for the little kids. 

I do remember the ace of spades was supposed to mean death, which is very different from Tarot.  Come to think of it, I think the spades were general misfortune? 

The court cards were all people.  Which is similar to some interpretations of Tarot, but not the way I read the cards myself.

I was 10 when he died, so my memory is dodgy at best.  Not very helpful as it turns out, I guess.  Sorry 'bout that.
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 04, 2008, 11:58:16 am »

They do? Well color me surprised...then again, I've only started reading Tarot in the past few months, while I've been reading playing cards since college (about what, 5-6 years now?). I did pick up a book on it (crap, can't remember the title), but ditched it pretty quick. For the most part, I made up my own meanings to the cards, especially the face cards. Instead of representing people, they represent types of personas, characteristics that might be needed for a situation or something. Example, my Jack of Spades I call the Maverick and I describe him as the James Dean of the deck, a rebellious spirit. Depending on the reading it might indicate a desire to break the rules, or maybe a new wild fling on the horizon or maybe a need to break rules to get a result. For the number cards, I used a kitchy fortune-telling site (I think it's still up- here as a jump off for the meanings of the number cards. They've changed over time of course, but I've had good results so far.

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: January 05, 2008, 12:31:41 am »

My friend, Ana Dragon, provided me with how-to information and walked me through reading playing cards a while back. However, since I don't currently have the information in front of me, I'll have to find it before I can post it up here.

As I'll be away tomorrow, it will probably be Sunday at the earliest before I can look for it, get it wrote up and posted.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 05, 2008, 11:57:58 am »

My grandfather used to do this.  One of the many things I wish I'd learned from him before he died.  The suits, as I remember, were similar to, but not the same as, Tarot - Diamonds = money, Hearts = love, Clubs=?, Spades=?. 
Books I've seen equate the suits exactly with clubs being wands and spades swords, but I don't remember how he did it.  I only remember the first two were more specific and more, um, "fortune-teller-y".  But that could have just been him; he had a flair for drama and could have been hamming it up for the little kids. 
I do remember the ace of spades was supposed to mean death, which is very different from Tarot.  Come to think of it, I think the spades were general misfortune? 
The court cards were all people.  Which is similar to some interpretations of Tarot, but not the way I read the cards myself.
I was 10 when he died, so my memory is dodgy at best.  Not very helpful as it turns out, I guess.  Sorry 'bout that.

I have been using Tarock cards lately. I love them. They are very old type of playing cards and have the major and minor Arcana.

For me spades mean work/difficulties/trials. Clubs are luck/chance/change.  Diamonds are fortune/wealth/abundance. Hearts are family/love/friends.   I do consider the ace of spades to be death as well.

My grandmother had these decks and I used to play with them as a child (although I never could figure out any card games, I would make mine up) My great-grandmother told fortunes for a living in the 1920's, so they could have been her cards, I don't know.

Tarock are the cards that Tarot originated from. Before there was Tarot, there were Tarock cards. Tarot were designed for divination purposes stemming from how the original playing cards were used for divination.

There is really no right or wrong way, just whatever works for you.  But maybe some of that will jog your mind about you grandfather's readings?
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 05, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »

Tarock are the cards that Tarot originated from. Before there was Tarot, there were Tarock cards. Tarot were designed for divination purposes stemming from how the original playing cards were used for divination.

Hm, I think I remember hearing something about Tarock in a special I was watching on the History Channel once. It was about playing cards. It's been a while now, so I don't remember.

I've found a couple sites of interest, some of them look fluffy though. But appearances can be decieving as we all know.

This one makes me wonder because of how it looks, but the meanings make sense to me.

I also found this one that despite it's looks seems to be informational.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 08:28:59 pm by Star, Reason: Fixing BBcode » Logged

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 05, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »

Those links appear broken to me, but I think the sites you mean are

http://www.talisman.net/tarot/regcard.html

and

http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/divination_index.html

based upon the addresses in the links.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 05, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

Thanks. I'm having a bad coding day I think. Been ages since I've used BBCode.

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 05, 2008, 03:53:03 pm »

It's ok, I still have trouble with it half the time, always going back to my posts to fix broken code.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: January 05, 2008, 08:30:44 pm »

I think what happened was that you put quotes around the address--perfectly normal thing in HTML, but in BBcode for some reason it makes things go a little wonky.  Wink  I've edited your post to fix the links so that they work.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 05, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »

I think what happened was that you put quotes around the address--perfectly normal thing in HTML, but in BBcode for some reason it makes things go a little wonky.  Wink  I've edited your post to fix the links so that they work.

Thank you! I'm much more familiar with HTML, if you can't tell.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: January 06, 2008, 02:37:59 pm »

Thank you! I'm much more familiar with HTML, if you can't tell.

You're welcome!  And yeah, me too.  I'm kind of learning BBcode's little quirks the hard way for the most part.   Undecided

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)