The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 08, 2021, 11:24:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 11:24:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: General questions about Imbolc  (Read 7971 times)
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 08, 2008, 03:02:33 pm »

I associate the "standardized date" of Imbolc with the feeling of "ok, enough winter already" and mud after the snow melts.

That works for me! LOL

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 05, 2008, 11:12:15 pm »

There is usually a thaw at some point in mid to late January or early February here in Minnesota, so that would be our Imbolc. There isn't anything growing here yet that I can see, but a few weeks ago it got into the 30s for a few days. Yay! Then right after that the temperature plunged below zero.  Sad
And I live in St. Paul, so I haven't come across any lactating ewes...
Noctiluca
Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 05:23:34 pm
Iceland Iceland

Religion: Heathen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 07, 2008, 12:23:33 pm »

I've gotten mixed answers...should this be celbrated ON Imbolc, or on "Imbolc Eve"?  Undecided

I honestly don't think that you can just put down a date and say "That's Imbolg". Imbolg, like other Wiccan Sabbats are based on older celebrations that celebrated the turning of the Wheel, and Imbolg celebrates the coming of spring. Seriously, at the moment, here in Iceland, everything is frozen solid, covered in 25 centimeters of snow and I don't see a sign of spring anywhere.

What I would do is wait for the right time. Does it feel like the coming of spring? Are the days longer, brighter? Is the sun shining more, are the birds singing? Are there flowers blossoming or grass getting green?

I don't exactly celebrate the Wiccan Sabbats, but I do celebrate Nature and the turning of the cycle, so yes, I do celebrate the coming of spring. But looking outside the window right now only to see ice and snow, I would feel ridiculous celebrating the coming of Spring. So I'm putting it off. Last year, the winter was over quicker and I could celebrate the coming of spring before mid February. This year, it looks like it's going to be at least another 2 weeks before any signs of spring will be visible to me, and then I will celebrate them.

My path is based first and foremost on Nature, and most Wiccan would say the same about theirs. So if we're celebrating something in Nature, I think we should celebrate accordingly, at the right time and celebrate the right thing. For an example, an American friend of mine told me about a Yule ritual she attended in Florida. The ritual text included "the white spread of Snow on Mother Earth" and "the dark, cold days that soon shall be longer and brighter". She was standing there, jeans and a t-shirt, on a hot sunny day, talking about snow and winter darkness! Now, how silly is that?

I celebrate the coming of Spring when I myself feel that it is right. I have a deep connection with Nature and I have always had a good instinct about what kind of winter we'll be having, etc. I told my boyfriend in early September that we were going to have a pretty rough and cold winter, and it's been one of the coldest in years, with temperatures dropping down to minus 15 degrees C° in the city. It's just something that's in me, and I've developed it A LOT during my Heathen years, and this is the same instinct that tells me it's silly to celebrate Spring when it's still Winter outside.

So, that's my opinion. Celebrate when you feel it's right, when you feel that you can actually see and FEEL what you are celebrating Smiley

"Pain asks not to be worshiped. It asks to be faced, lived through and learned from"
Noctiluca
Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 05:23:34 pm
Iceland Iceland

Religion: Heathen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 07, 2008, 12:26:15 pm »

Edited: because I'm a loser and managed to double post and quote myself?Huh
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:06:46 pm by Noctiluca » Logged

"Pain asks not to be worshiped. It asks to be faced, lived through and learned from"
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 07, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »

I've gotten mixed answers...should this be celbrated ON Imbolc, or on "Imbolc Eve"?  Undecided

Celtic holidays are traditionally celebrated the evening before - as that was the beginning of their day.
Autumns_Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 08:07:27 am

Religion: wiccan/pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 09, 2008, 09:43:42 pm »

In Kentucky at "Imbolc", everything is usually frozen solid.

Same here on the frozen windy prairie. If I was to celebrate Imbolc now it would definately be on a wing and a prayer. And hopefully, a faery wing!
There is nothing here that is symbolic of Spring or even reminds me of Spring. 
Even though I raise rabbits and they are a symbol of spring they have always been just such a huge part of my life and I don't symbolize them as such. They are more than that to me. (Since I was born in the year of the rabbit, as well!) LOL
Guess I could buy myself a bouquet at Wallyword and use that!

Autumns_Rose

I believe that your background may have an influence on who you are -but only you are responsible for who you become.
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 09, 2008, 09:45:28 pm »

Same here on the frozen windy prairie.

Except I was wrong. This year it was 65*, the next day 70* with tornadoes dropping from the sky like raindrops. :sigh:
Autumns_Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 08:07:27 am

Religion: wiccan/pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 10, 2008, 11:39:17 pm »

with tornadoes dropping from the sky like raindrops. :sigh:
I hope you and yours are safe -I heard they were pretty bad.
Just for the record it was -1* last time I checked! LOL

Autumns_Rose

I believe that your background may have an influence on who you are -but only you are responsible for who you become.
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 10, 2008, 11:46:22 pm »

I hope you and yours are safe -I heard they were pretty bad.
Just for the record it was -1* last time I checked! LOL

22 tornadoes in 17 counties (or was it 14 counties; I've lost count). Lexington got storm damage, but the worst of it went around us - we live on the south, hilly end of town, and of course these things seek the flattest route. Wink The only thing we got was the wind blowing around my patio chairs, but that's okay.

It's 15* here currently. Supposed to be 5* for the low. We're supposed to get snow, sleet, ice, rain, more ice, snow...between now and Wednesday morning...
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: February 11, 2008, 12:25:35 am »

of course these things seek the flattest route. Wink
::headdesk::  Of course they do.  Or rather, hillier ground deflects them onto the flats or back off the ground, or disorganizes them.  I just never put 2+2 together about it until now, silly me.

Which is also what's up with the trailer parks - people tend to put their mobile homes on the flattest ground available.  Mystery solved.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 11, 2008, 01:18:49 am »

people tend to put their mobile homes on the flattest ground available.  Mystery solved.

Sure seems that way.
Quiet Flames
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 05, 2008, 05:31:28 pm

Religion: Solitary Generic Paganism with Wiccan leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 11, 2008, 02:19:56 pm »

For an example, an American friend of mine told me about a Yule ritual she attended in Florida. The ritual text included "the white spread of Snow on Mother Earth" and "the dark, cold days that soon shall be longer and brighter". She was standing there, jeans and a t-shirt, on a hot sunny day, talking about snow and winter darkness! Now, how silly is that?

This I can understand, living in the panhandle of Florida, myself! The weather here is so....mild. We don't have a very long winter/spring/summer/fall. All the seasons just kind of run together.  Three days ago it was 80 degrees F and this morning it was 38.

I've found that I have to look for the real subtle (sp?) signs of the changing seasons. This year has been real tough to discern them. I think even the plants and animals are confused!

I usually wait till I see a few buds of yellow in the wildflowers along the sides of the woods around my house to celebrate both Imbolc and Mabon. This year, they popped their heads up, then got zapped! They've popped up three different times so far.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:22:28 pm by Quiet Flames, Reason: What else....spelling... » Logged
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 12, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »

Except I was wrong. This year it was 65*, the next day 70* with tornadoes dropping from the sky like raindrops. :sigh:

I just talked to my parents - apparently tornadoes actually touched down a little within Louisville and the closer suburbs (including ones near-ish them), which is rare.  (Never happened while I was living there, at least.)  But they're ok.

And now there's lots of snow and ice in that area.  Go figure.

Up here in Illinois, we're just getting snow.  And ice.  And fog.  And sleet.  And rain.  And thundersnow apparently, which I was out of town for.

My definition of Imbolc as when I'm tired of winter still holds.  I'm glad I focused on Brighid this year, and not really on seasonal things.  Smiley

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 12, 2008, 04:47:39 pm »

My definition of Imbolc as when I'm tired of winter still holds.  I'm glad I focused on Brighid this year, and not really on seasonal things.  Smiley

Growing up in South Texas, where it's difficult to really figure the seasons out, has pretty much made all of my ritual work focus on just about everything but seasonal things. For instance, it's not that unusual for the temperature to hit 85 degrees one day in February in San Antonio, and then drop to 22 the next week. The trees and plants are always tricked into budding early, and then they get frozen.  Undecided

Living in Philadelphia now, I do see the seasons, yeah... but I'm still not used to that mindset, of course, winter is just as wacky up here. Sunny, 65 degrees one week... cloudy, snowy/sleety, and 11 degrees the next. Sheesh. At least in Philadelphia, the trees aren't tricked so easily.  Cheesy

Long story short, Imbolc has always been about Brighid for me, about the spring inside unfolding, rather than the spring (or the lack thereof) outside.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)