The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 11:51:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 11:51:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding your path.... Any path....  (Read 17107 times)
Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 06:26:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 04, 2008, 11:20:14 pm »

How do you find your path, and stick to it when it goes against your upbringing?

Breaking away from your upbringing is extremely difficult.  I was raised Catholic/Lutheran and turned out studying Witchcraft.  While I try to break away from my Christian background, there are many things that stick (not the dogma, but centralized themes [this is a PG area, therefore I shall not elaborate, except to say it stems from a Catholic view...]). 

The best thing you can do is to study and to really look deep within yourself.  Once you find the answer your body tells you, then go with it.  You will always find yourself struggling with where to go or how to do something, but there will be a time when you are struck with an "Eureka" type feeling, and you know you touched your true path.

...but my problem is that I don't know what I believe and I don't want to be wrong. I don't want to choose a Wiccan, Pagan, Druidic - or even Catholic, Jewish, or Muslim pathway and be wrong and be damned for all eternity (or any other definition of Hell.)

I can understand what you are saying, but who are we, the living, to know what is the true and right way?  Aristotle believed that pursuing The Good was the ultimate.  Being Virtuous.  Here, we have a plethora of religions and who is to say which is right and which is wrong.  I believe that no matter what religion you choose, as long as you are true to yourself, you can't be wrong.

Eventually, I spent some time as a pseudo Christian Wiccan. (Please don't flame me for this one, I know many people disagree on whether such a practice is even possible.

Eh, while Christian Wicca and/or Christian Witchcraft is a strange notion, I don't believe that the practice shouldn't be possible.  Think of the Hindu religion - All Gods are One God, and Jesus is just another God to worship.  Nothing wrong there!

There are a few things that I 'feel right' about. I know I like to think of my higher power as a loving, merciful, woman and not a temperamental, dictator-like man (aka "My Impressions of God.) I know I want magic to be real, but I don't know how much of what my spells accomplished was due to the spell, and how much was coincidence or fate.

A loving, merciful woman?  Nothing wrong with that.  I also had a multitude of problems with the Abrahamic God and that is why I strayed from Christianity.  My Grandfather, a wholly devote man, died forgetting God and family.  I always had a hard time dealing with how a great God could do that to one of his strongest followers.

I believe that God is something like Jung's Collective Unconscious.  And I believe that all Gods are faces and aspects of that one entity.  So, I guess the Abrahamic God fits there too (though I don't acknowledge him...).

I think the only thing you can truly do, is quest.  Seek (like you are doing now), Reflect (on your ideals and reasoning), Learn (about a variety of paths to find one/few you like), and Act (put all things together).

Remember, the path we are on now isn't the one we will be on tomorrow.  Each day brings new learnings and insights...and everyday, we tweak our beliefs, albeit slightly.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)