The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 21, 2019, 10:17:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2019, 10:17:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Atrocious pagan websites - let's see your worst...  (Read 38517 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #270: March 22, 2010, 03:13:19 pm »

Wait. So... tattoos would be considered a form of pain as a mode of personal development? I never thought of it that way.

For me both the pain and the marking aspects of tattoos are spiritual. I'm sure other people see it differently. Tattoos for me are also generally more a conclusion to a particular stage of growth. However, they aren't separate from it. Others could probably comment more articulately on this than I can. My own experiments with pain aren't very frequent and focus more on working at the limits of my physical endurance which is, I suppose, a more passive (not sure that's the right word but it's the closest I can come up with) instigation of pain than those that involve sharp objects but I find it difficult to dismiss the latter given my interest in the former even if I am not personally inclined to experiment in that direction.

I rather wish Mandi were still around for this conversation. I seem to remember her making some quite articulate posts about her use of self-injury in spiritual practice with strong caveats that one must understand the risks of what one is doing - both practical (anything that involves injury is dangerous practically speaking) and spiritually (there are big holes you can fall into with any form of self-injury). Though I may be remembering someone else, it was a while back.

And to clear up my comment about the blog: I kind of got stuck on "dying for my god." I never really thought of going pagan as a form of death, but more of a form of growth, I guess.

It is my understanding that metaphorical deaths have a history in several traditions but I confess complete ignorance of said traditions and have no idea if there is any precedent for metaphorical deaths in heathenry. Not my area at all. Does anyone know anything more detailed about this?

PS. Perhaps BDSM/pain and spirituality needs its own thread?

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #271: March 22, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »

PS. Perhaps BDSM/pain and spirituality needs its own thread?

That may not be a bad idea.  What's relevant to this thread is more the specific objections to the website mentioned.  I know we don't usually make a big deal of topic drift, but I do think that a more general discussion of BDSM, pain, and spirituality would probably do better if it could be moved to its own thread.  That would allow people who might be interested to find it more easily, and those who might want to avoid the topic to do that more easily as well.  And I do think there's probably a good discussion to be had there, if everyone can keep it civil.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #272: March 22, 2010, 03:35:33 pm »

That may not be a bad idea.  What's relevant to this thread is more the specific objections to the website mentioned.  I know we don't usually make a big deal of topic drift, but I do think that a more general discussion of BDSM, pain, and spirituality would probably do better if it could be moved to its own thread.  That would allow people who might be interested to find it more easily, and those who might want to avoid the topic to do that more easily as well.  And I do think there's probably a good discussion to be had there, if everyone can keep it civil.  Wink

Done. Kink and Spirituality - Special Topic Discussion

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #273: March 22, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »

Wait. So... tattoos would be considered a form of pain as a mode of personal development? I never thought of it that way.

My sister says "If you're going to go through all that pain and blood, you might as well dedicate it to SOMETHING."

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #274: March 22, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »

My sister says "If you're going to go through all that pain and blood, you might as well dedicate it to SOMETHING."

I like your sister's philosophy.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #275: March 22, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »

That may not be a bad idea.  What's relevant to this thread is more the specific objections to the website mentioned. 

The issue I had with it was just the author's photo with the bleeding face. It was just too graphic for me. The descriptions I had no problem with--would never do it, but it didn't bother me. Seeing someone's face bleed, though, made me uncomfortable.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #276: March 23, 2010, 04:34:48 am »

The issue I had with it was just the author's photo with the bleeding face. It was just too graphic for me. The descriptions I had no problem with--would never do it, but it didn't bother me. Seeing someone's face bleed, though, made me uncomfortable.

I think that I was just startled more than anything else. All of the other websites in this thread have generally been so silly or ill thought out as to be laughable, but this was an entirely different genre than I was expecting. It's not nessessarily a bad thing (not my personal cup of tea, but I am not everyone on the planet, so hey!) but it was a suprise.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #277: March 23, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

I apologize. I posted before I thought (something I've been trying to break myself of.... Harder than it sounds  Embarrassed). Some of the content on that site was quite interesting, including a post on a follower of Loki and her experiences. However, I also read some things from former members of the group that painted them in a different light than just the site. I believe I just had a grand case of Foot in Mouth. Again, I apologize to any who felt that I was denying the validity of kink in spiritual practice. That was not my intention.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #278: March 24, 2010, 07:38:30 am »

I apologize. I posted before I thought (something I've been trying to break myself of.... Harder than it sounds  Embarrassed). Some of the content on that site was quite interesting, including a post on a follower of Loki and her experiences. However, I also read some things from former members of the group that painted them in a different light than just the site. I believe I just had a grand case of Foot in Mouth. Again, I apologize to any who felt that I was denying the validity of kink in spiritual practice. That was not my intention.

I think we all suffer from Foot in Mouth Syndrome, periodically.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)