The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2022, 04:51:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2022, 04:51:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 4840 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 07, 2008, 09:18:21 am »

Thank you.  I hadn't really considered the "stress to relationships" angle.  He makes me nervous now; I'm pretty sure murder, or at least screaming, would ensue should we sideswipe a hapless sheep in the Irish countryside.  Public transportation didn't really enter my mind, because we don't really have much of it here.

You're welcome!  Can't wait to hear how the trip goes.   

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Bree
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2011, 07:45:11 pm

Religion: Irish Pagan - New to ADF
TCN ID: Bree

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 26, 2008, 09:21:37 pm »

In short, I'm strongly recommending that you not rent a car on your first international trip.  At least wait until you've had the pleasure of riding in a cab in Dublin and seeing what the traffic is like firsthand before making your decision. What sounds good in theory may be very stressful and annoying in practice.  Wink

This is essentially a post to everyone, although I would like to say that we wish we had taken Aisling's advice and skipped the rental car  Smiley

We got home last night, after spending 10 nights in Ireland.  The first three nights were spent in Temple Bar, Dublin, although we took the bus to Newgrange/Knowth and Tara the next day.  We picked up the rental car on Sunday and went down to Glendalough.  From there we went to a B&B in Slieverue, then to Cashel. We did the Ring of Kerry in 5 hours that evening in the rain  Angry.  We drove around the Dingle Peninsula, but it was still raining, so we didn't see anything. Cliffs of Moher - more rain and a very strong wind. We were going to go out to the Aran Islands, but it was 40 euro each. We were hoping to eat that day, so had to forego Dun Aengus fort.  By this point, we realized that 7 days away from home is our limit before homesickness sets in, and the weather didn't help much. We found a lovely  B&B in Ennis and stayed for 2 nights, watching DVDs in our room and bumming around. On Friday, we went to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, and it was really good. I think hubby took 500 pictures.

The people weren't what we were expecting. We were at B&Bs, and our interaction with the hosts consisted of "I have a room." "I'll take you." "What do you want for breakfast?" Then they dissappeared into their private areas, not to emerge again until breakfast. And then only to flit in and out with plates.

Everything was also much more expensive than we were expecting, even considering the exchange rate ($1.63/euro when we got our currency). It's 3 euro for a small 6 oz cup of coffee and there are no refills. Ditto on the cokes - no refils and very expensive. They also charge for ketchup   Shocked

The bread and sausages were quite tasty, but I was surprised by the potatoes I had. Most were undercooked and very bland.  We wound up going to local grocery stores and getting peanut butter, bread, and such for lunches, so we would have money for souveniers.

Overall, it was a good trip. The first day driving was very nerveracking. From Glendalough back to the main highway to Waterford was a very narrow, twisty road. I like twisty roads, but am used to ditches, if not actual (tiny) shoulders on the road. Over there, the shoulder consisted of a rock wall approximately 3 inches from your side mirror.  It would have cost an extra 9 or 10 euro per day to allow me to drive, so I wasn't able to drive. Hubby did and excellent job of not getting us killed.  After a few days, he was good. We actually like the roundabouts although we concluded that whoever set their speed limits was smoking approximately 3 kilos of crack a day.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I hope to have pictures up this week. We're still a bit jet-lagged, and we have nearly 3 gigs of pictures to sort through  Roll Eyes

Next time, we're taking a coach tour and letting someone else deal with the details Smiley

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 26, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »

Next time, we're taking a coach tour and letting someone else deal with the details Smiley

LOL. It sounds like you had a good time anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 26, 2008, 09:37:02 pm »

Everything was also much more expensive than we were expecting, even considering the exchange rate ($1.63/euro when we got our currency). It's 3 euro for a small 6 oz cup of coffee and there are no refills. Ditto on the cokes - no refils and very expensive. They also charge for ketchup   Shocked

Lol, that sounds about right. Oh America and it's free refills! It's one of the reasons I moved.  Cheesy

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 27, 2008, 08:52:25 am »

After a few days, he was good. We actually like the roundabouts although we concluded that whoever set their speed limits was smoking approximately 3 kilos of crack a day.

I'll second that!   Cheesy  Glad you  survived and made it home safely!

Bree
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2011, 07:45:11 pm

Religion: Irish Pagan - New to ADF
TCN ID: Bree

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 30, 2008, 07:05:48 am »

LOL. It sounds like you had a good time anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Here are the pictures!  We haven't edited them, so there will be duplicates. Hubby takes 2 shots of everything. 

We weren't allowed to use the flash at Bunratty Castle, so they are pretty dark.

And in case you see the picture of our supper and say "What?", I took the pic to illustrate that when ordering chicken nuggets and chips, you recieve 6 tiny nuggets and at least a pound of chips.  It struck me as funny.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:13:10 am by Brelan, Reason: Removed links to pictures. Realised there are pics of us in there, and I\'m still in \"the closet\". It\'s 6 a.m. and I haven\'t had coffee. I will edit photos and repost links tonight. So Sorry! » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: May 30, 2008, 08:20:30 am »

It\'s 6 a.m. and I haven\'t had coffee.

Lyric, at least, would understand that completely. Just repost the picture links in a new message when you have them better sorted into safe to post and not safe to post.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)