The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2021, 07:28:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:28:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Have you heard of these writer Libba Bray or looked or read them  (Read 3527 times)
Jessica A
Journeyman
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 02:00:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Roman Catholic whos starting on her Pagan Path

Pretty much live by my own rules, not society ones

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 06, 2008, 06:18:31 pm »

Have read the 1st 2 of Libba Bray's books (Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels) which I loved.  Waiting to have her 3rd book which is the last one after those 2 books I mention above (Sweet Far Thing).  Well tell you guys my review of that book.

"Live, Laugh, etc"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 06, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »

Have read the 1st 2 of Libba Bray's books (Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels) which I loved.  Waiting to have her 3rd book which is the last one after those 2 books I mention above (Sweet Far Thing).  Well tell you guys my review of that book.

Fantastic novel. It has a pagan flavor, but as it's the author's *idea* of pagan, it's a bit distorted. It talks about the Summerlands, but mentions a place called the Winterlands as well, which I think is of her own invention. The main characters form sort of a small coven. That sort of thing. Half the plot takes place in the astral (even though they never call it that), and that's pretty interesting.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Jessica A
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 06, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »

Fantastic novel. It has a pagan flavor, but as it's the author's *idea* of pagan, it's a bit distorted. It talks about the Summerlands, but mentions a place called the Winterlands as well, which I think is of her own invention. The main characters form sort of a small coven. That sort of thing. Half the plot takes place in the astral (even though they never call it that), and that's pretty interesting.

Mithril,

Thank you for your response.  Somehow I always thought that Winterlands real like Summerlands was.

"Live, Laugh, etc"
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 06, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »

Have read the 1st 2 of Libba Bray's books (Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels) which I loved. 

I thought it was pretty good.  Haven't read the second or third book yet.

*Síocháin*
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 06, 2008, 09:08:11 pm »

Mithril,

Thank you for your response.  Somehow I always thought that Winterlands real like Summerlands was.

Yeah, after reading it I was a little unsure and asked on here, and all the responses said that it was just the Summerlands. I guess she thought it might make sense to add the Winterlands. It might help Christian readers understand because they can relate to the Heaven/Hell type divide.

Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 06, 2008, 09:12:26 pm »

Yeah, after reading it I was a little unsure and asked on here, and all the responses said that it was just the Summerlands. I guess she thought it might make sense to add the Winterlands. It might help Christian readers understand because they can relate to the Heaven/Hell type divide.

I think she used Winerlands/Summerlands as good/evil metaphor, but I also think that she wanted to point out that nothing is as it seems--and that there is some bad in the good. 

*Síocháin*
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 06, 2008, 09:18:01 pm »

I've read the first two: I like the mix of gothic and YA and mystery and supernatural thriller genre thing that she's got going. They've been quite popular in the library I work in (where I do a lot of the fiction recommendations to students and faculty) too - even people who don't normally enjoy most of those genres have really liked them.

I do remember finding the magical/esoteric stuff frustrating in some ways: there are parts that 'ring true' to some of my own experiences (in terms of what it's like to explore something like that, or how different people may react ot the same set of actions), but there are also things that fell really flat for me. (I'd have to reread the books to remember exactly what it was, though: it's been about a year since I read them, and there've been a whole lot of other books since.)

They are definitely fun reads, though.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 06, 2008, 09:19:02 pm »

I think she used Winerlands/Summerlands as good/evil metaphor, but I also think that she wanted to point out that nothing is as it seems--and that there is some bad in the good. 

Yeah, that too. I didn't mean she consciously said 'oh i'm going to make it so christians can get what i'm talking about', I meant that the symmetry was appealing and you could also consider it as a...something. the literary term escapes me (that's what winter holidays does, ugh... Smiley) symbol (?) for heaven and hell.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 06, 2008, 09:24:29 pm »

I do remember finding the magical/esoteric stuff frustrating in some ways: there are parts that 'ring true' to some of my own experiences (in terms of what it's like to explore something like that, or how different people may react ot the same set of actions), but there are also things that fell really flat for me. (I'd have to reread the books to remember exactly what it was, though: it's been about a year since I read them, and there've been a whole lot of other books since.)

I know what you mean. She has all the right ingredients for a killer series (instead of a really good one), but it's missing the something that gave Harry Potter his spark. And sometimes it mirrors the Potter books way too much. Gemma, as good as an orphan, goes to a castle-like boarding school where she discovers that she is a powerful witch with the fate of the Realms on her shoulders and that the female version of Lord Voldemort wants to kill her. Sound familiar?

Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 06, 2008, 09:53:41 pm »

I knew what you meant...I was just adding my two cents Grin

*Síocháin*
Jessica A
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 06, 2008, 09:56:23 pm »

Yep, I do remember that.  To me it doesn't bother me at all.

"Live, Laugh, etc"
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 06, 2008, 09:56:43 pm »

I knew what you meant...I was just adding my two cents Grin

Lol, ok. That's good. It's just that I reread my post and realized it was a little (as in very) unclear.

Jessica A
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 06, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »

Lol, ok. That's good. It's just that I reread my post and realized it was a little (as in very) unclear.

Its alright now.

"Live, Laugh, etc"
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 06, 2008, 10:03:45 pm »

Yep, I do remember that.  To me it doesn't bother me at all.

I don't think it *bothered* anyone. The book is fiction, so Libba Braye is perfectly right to put it in as  it's central to her plot. It's just that it could be confusing if you're not really familiar with real-life paganism and are trying to sort out what's based in fact and what isn't.

Jessica A
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 06, 2008, 11:42:52 pm »

I don't think it *bothered* anyone. The book is fiction, so Libba Braye is perfectly right to put it in as  it's central to her plot. It's just that it could be confusing if you're not really familiar with real-life paganism and are trying to sort out what's based in fact and what isn't.

mithril,

Okay and thank you for elaborating on this as well.

"Live, Laugh, etc"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)