The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 06:48:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 06:48:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honey for Healing  (Read 24260 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 08, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »

In the News "Honey Makes Medical Comeback"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921

I swear by honey and lemon in tea at the first sign of a sore throat. I also use it against laryngitis. I had never heard of applying it to wounds before though.

How do you use it for healing? Any other honey uses to share?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 08, 2008, 06:50:19 pm »

Our own Syrbal is a beekeeper.  We had a member a while back (can't remember if you were here then) named Chavi.  Syrbal sent her honey for her radiation burns from cancer treatments.  It's good stuff.  Acts as both a sort of bandage and an antiseptic.

Brina
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 08, 2008, 07:23:52 pm »

I've used it as a salve over wounds when I didn't have anti-bacterial creams available... spread on a layer and bandage over top.  I've also mixed it with aloe gel for burns that blister for its anti-bacterial effect.

Other uses:
  • Mix with brown sugar as a face scrub (really good with a tiny bit of peppermint and tea tree oil). 
  • Add 1/3 to 1/4 cup to a hot bath for a silky moisturizer.
  • Pat on your face and leave on for five minutes.  Acts as a toner and moisturizer.

Of course my favorite use is to mix it with nuts and phyllo dough and make baklava!  Wink

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 08, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »

*takes notes*

I heard that it was used in Ancient Egypt as an antiseptic.  I can't say that i ever used honey outside of the obvious culinary purposes so my favorite uses for it are to dip chicken nuggets in and in loukoumades

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 08, 2008, 07:56:44 pm »

Our own Syrbal is a beekeeper.  We had a member a while back (can't remember if you were here then) named Chavi.  Syrbal sent her honey for her radiation burns from cancer treatments.  It's good stuff.  Acts as both a sort of bandage and an antiseptic.

Brina

It acts as an antiseptic because in connection with moisture in a burn or wound, it produces an extraordinarily potent hydrogen peroxide reaction. It also is full (if raw un-heat treated honey) of antioxidants and micro-nutrients that facilitate healing.  The ancients not only used it on its own, but mixed it with wine to wash serious wounds clean.  Taken internally, it has been used to treat pre-ulcer and other stomach ailments; it seems to target for destruction things like the buggies that cause a lot of ulcers. 
There is an entire book be someone named Joe Traynor, I think it is titled "Honey, the Gourmet Medicine" or something like that.  It has a host of ideas ...I can't find my last copy, so I must have given it away. 

BTW...with summer bound sooner or later, honey makes the best rehydration mix---with water, a bit of lemon juice and sprinkle of potassium chloride (salt replacement) at a fraction of the cost of Gator Aid. 

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 08, 2008, 08:11:14 pm »

It acts as an antiseptic because in connection with moisture in a burn or wound, it produces an extraordinarily potent hydrogen peroxide reaction. It also is full (if raw un-heat treated honey) of antioxidants and micro-nutrients that facilitate healing.  The ancients not only used it on its own, but mixed it with wine to wash serious wounds clean.  Taken internally, it has been used to treat pre-ulcer and other stomach ailments; it seems to target for destruction things like the buggies that cause a lot of ulcers. 
There is an entire book be someone named Joe Traynor, I think it is titled "Honey, the Gourmet Medicine" or something like that.  It has a host of ideas ...I can't find my last copy, so I must have given it away. 

BTW...with summer bound sooner or later, honey makes the best rehydration mix---with water, a bit of lemon juice and sprinkle of potassium chloride (salt replacement) at a fraction of the cost of Gator Aid. 

I believe the book Where there is no Doctor mentions honey and sugar for bedsores and wounds. I have also been told by some really old nurses (back when I was a young little nurse) about dressing bedsores with sugar.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 08, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »

There's a book called "Honey, Mud, Maggots and other Medical Marvels" that talks about honey (and the other stuff, including things like the baths at Bath and various other spas with mineral rich waters) that got me started on the honey-on-wounds thing.

I spread a tiny bit on, cover lightly with a bandaid or gauze to stop it sticking to everything in reach.

Honey, lightly applied, also makes a marvelous face mask. I've had long-term mild to moderate acne that (now we're finally dealing with the hormone stuff sanely) appears to be mostly hormonally triggered - but honey masks have greatly helped the healing process. (Also, quite cheap compared to most face products.)

A friend also introduced me to a bath soak using it that's heavenly in dry skin weather. (Take two cups of oats, grind in your blender until fine. Add enough honey to make them start clumping together a bit, and add a handful or so of dry milk powder. You can add dried rose petals or lavender buds if you want.) I stick mine in a large tea ball and stick in the tub, but you can also just tie it up in cheesecloth (or just dump it in: depends on your interest in cleaning the tub out after: the flower petals tend to stick in weird places.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: January 08, 2008, 10:24:07 pm »

In the News "Honey Makes Medical Comeback"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921

I swear by honey and lemon in tea at the first sign of a sore throat. I also use it against laryngitis. I had never heard of applying it to wounds before though.

I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that honey acts as a natural antihistamine, which explains why it helps my dad's allergies.  He started taking it believing that it was the equivalent of natural allergy shots because it contained pollen.  I don't know if there is anything to that theory or not.  If so, it would be important to buy local, unpasteurized stuff for treatment.

Sperran
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 08, 2008, 10:43:34 pm »

I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that honey acts as a natural antihistamine, which explains why it helps my dad's allergies.  He started taking it believing that it was the equivalent of natural allergy shots because it contained pollen.  I don't know if there is anything to that theory or not.  If so, it would be important to buy local, unpasteurized stuff for treatment.

I swear by honey as an allergy medicine. A tablespoon a day, of local (can be pastureized) honey, is better than alavert or allegra. It's amazing. And like others say, it's amazing for sore throat.

I've never tried it for the other medical purposes. But I swear by it for allergies.

Honey and aloe, the miracle drugs!

(And moth balls and orange zest for all those household ailments... yay!)

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 09, 2008, 12:20:19 am »

I swear by honey and lemon in tea at the first sign of a sore throat.

I love Stash's lemon blossom herbal tea with honey in it when I'm sick.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 09, 2008, 01:52:14 am »

Any other honey uses to share?

Here are another couple of my favourite uses for honey. Wink

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 09, 2008, 07:12:06 am »

No, I don't belive I was, but that is interesting. Would you know if it helps to reduce scarring?

A friend also introduced me to a bath soak using it that's heavenly in dry skin weather. (Take two cups of oats, grind in your blender until fine. Add enough honey to make them start clumping together a bit, and add a handful or so of dry milk powder. You can add dried rose petals or lavender buds if you want.) I stick mine in a large tea ball and stick in the tub, but you can also just tie it up in cheesecloth (or just dump it in: depends on your interest in cleaning the tub out after: the flower petals tend to stick in weird places.)

I use an oatmeal mask, think now I will add a bit of honey to it too.

Are the weird places in the tub or on your person?  Grin  Sorry, had some odd visions of myself on that point.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 09, 2008, 07:18:37 am »

Of course my favorite use is to mix it with nuts and phyllo dough and make baklava!  Wink

Oh, yes!

Never concidered unpastueurized vs pastereurized like you and others pointed out.  Good point.

Just curious, as a beekeeper, have you had trouble with hive collapse?  I never know how much stock to put in the media reports of how wide spread it really is.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 09, 2008, 07:34:29 am »

Are the weird places in the tub or on your person?  Grin  Sorry, had some odd visions of myself on that point.

Yes. Though more the tub than me. (Though I've got long hair, and no shower/shower head, so a few bits ended up in my hair, too.)

The honey for allergies thing is something I've heard from a bunch of other people, and on my list of things to do next year. (My understanding is that it's got to be as local as possible, but no more than 25-30 miles away, as you want the tightest overlap to the pollen allergens you're exposed to. Part of why I haven't done this yet is that while I can get raw honey at our farmer's markets, many of the honey sellers come from further than that - outside the Twin Cities metro into Wisconsin, mostly - and I need to do some research on locations.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 09, 2008, 07:42:56 am »

The honey for allergies thing is something I've heard from a bunch of other people, and on my list of things to do next year. (My understanding is that it's got to be as local as possible, but no more than 25-30 miles away, as you want the tightest overlap to the pollen allergens you're exposed to. Part of why I haven't done this yet is that while I can get raw honey at our farmer's markets, many of the honey sellers come from further than that - outside the Twin Cities metro into Wisconsin, mostly - and I need to do some research on locations.)

Ahh, glad you should mention that. I was just told by an acquaintance that we now have an indoor farmer's market in town and she was praising the local organic honey she got there - she called it Crack Honey because it was so addicting!

Never thought about distance in relation to pollen!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)