The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 21, 2021, 09:07:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2021, 09:07:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honey for Healing  (Read 24225 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 09, 2008, 10:41:38 am »

Would you know if it helps to reduce scarring?

Not yewberry, but I'd say that it seemed to for me.  The first time I was introduced to it as a healing (in combo with Aloe) was when I managed to get a second-degree from a very hot metal pot handle.  The burn area was at least six inches by an inch wide and badly blistered.  It should have left a permanent scar.  There's not a mark, however.  I tend to keep scars long-term even from minor scrapes, so it did appear to help. Of course, YMMV.  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 09, 2008, 11:10:28 am »

In the News "Honey Makes Medical Comeback"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921

I swear by honey and lemon in tea at the first sign of a sore throat. I also use it against laryngitis. I had never heard of applying it to wounds before though.

How do you use it for healing? Any other honey uses to share?

It's a wonderful natural antiseptic.

Honey/garlic "syrup" is great for colds:  Take a mason jar and fill it wil peeled garlic cloves, then pour honey over it until it fills up the jar.  Let it sit to infuse the honey with garlic and take a spoonful as needed.  (It's sounds aweful, but it's really not nearly as nasty as, say, boneset tea.)

And I'm another one who uses local honey to help with allergies, as well.  In my case, it hasn't gotten rid of my allergies, but I have noticed that they are a lot milder when I drink honey in my tea.
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 09, 2008, 11:16:06 am »

Let it sit to infuse the honey with garlic
Just wanted to add that, in my experience, it can brew like this indefinately.  Just bear in mind it'll get stronger the older it is and adjust your dosage accordingly.  Honey is a preservative, it keeps the garlic from going bad (or at least slows it down significantly.)  My teacher would just add new honey to the top when it gets low, but I don't know for how long - seems like all the goodness in the garlic would get used up eventually.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 09, 2008, 01:37:21 pm »

Not yewberry, but I'd say that it seemed to for me.  The first time I was introduced to it as a healing (in combo with Aloe) was when I managed to get a second-degree from a very hot metal pot handle.  The burn area was at least six inches by an inch wide and badly blistered.  It should have left a permanent scar.  There's not a mark, however.  I tend to keep scars long-term even from minor scrapes, so it did appear to help. Of course, YMMV.  Smiley

Think I will give it a try next time I need to. I thought it might work for scarring. Thanks!
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 09, 2008, 02:23:01 pm »

A friend also introduced me to a bath soak using it that's heavenly in dry skin weather. (Take two cups of oats, grind in your blender until fine. Add enough honey to make them start clumping together a bit, and add a handful or so of dry milk powder. You can add dried rose petals or lavender buds if you want.) I stick mine in a large tea ball and stick in the tub, but you can also just tie it up in cheesecloth (or just dump it in: depends on your interest in cleaning the tub out after: the flower petals tend to stick in weird places.)

MM I must try that. Now only if I had a blender! LOL

I've actually never tried honey on wounds. LOL My usual MO is "stop the bleeding then do nothing it'll heal".

A STRONG brew of thyme tea, with a lot of honey and lemon juice is my favorite for sore throats.

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 09, 2008, 02:29:05 pm »

A STRONG brew of thyme tea, with a lot of honey and lemon juice is my favorite for sore throats.

I've also used this to good effect for sinus infection.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 09, 2008, 02:43:28 pm »

I've also used this to good effect for sinus infection.

I use it mostly for throat ailments, will have to try it for that as well. Seems like one of those things that has SOME beneficial effect for most everything head/throat/chest related (but the same could be said of any hot tea LOL)

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 09, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »

I use it mostly for throat ailments, will have to try it for that as well. Seems like one of those things that has SOME beneficial effect for most everything head/throat/chest related (but the same could be said of any hot tea LOL)
True enough.  The heat is soothing and regular tea has astringent properties which helps with any sore throat.  Lemon and honey are antiseptic, which help with infection. 

Thyme specifically has anti-biotic and anti-viral properties which make it pretty amazing for almost all infections.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 09, 2008, 03:17:15 pm »

Thyme specifically has anti-biotic and anti-viral properties which make it pretty amazing for almost all infections.

That's why I use it! Smiley Nevermind the taste (which I actually like...but it's definitely an "acquired" taste.)

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 09, 2008, 04:19:40 pm »

That's why I use it! Smiley Nevermind the taste (which I actually like...but it's definitely an "acquired" taste.)

Never tried the Thyme tea, is it your own brew or store-bought?  I swear by Yogi brand Egyptian Licorice tea (actually herbs no tea) with honey and lemon for all head/throat ailments.

My grand-mother used hot lemon-aid with honey. She had the best concoctions, unfortunately she never wrote any of them down and I don't remember them all.  Sad
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 09, 2008, 04:29:59 pm »

Never tried the Thyme tea, is it your own brew or store-bought?  I swear by Yogi brand Egyptian Licorice tea (actually herbs no tea) with honey and lemon for all head/throat ailments.

My grand-mother used hot lemon-aid with honey. She had the best concoctions, unfortunately she never wrote any of them down and I don't remember them all.  Sad
I haven't seen any commercial brand thyme tea.  I buy mine fresh from the grocery store and dry it myself. 

Barring that, I've found bulk dried is likely to be generally fresher than the stuff in the jars, and less likely to have been irradiated.  (I don't know exactly how irradiation would effect the efficacy of the herb, but personally it makes me uneasy.) 

Worst case, you can used the dried stuff in the spice aisle.  (I haven't tried this last one with thyme, but I've used Spice Islands rosemary one time when I was desperate with a migraine.  It didn't work at all well and the flavor was very weak by comparison.)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 09, 2008, 04:36:59 pm »

Honey/garlic "syrup" is great for colds:  Take a mason jar and fill it wil peeled garlic cloves, then pour honey over it until it fills up the jar.  Let it sit to infuse the honey with garlic and take a spoonful as needed.  (It's sounds aweful, but it's really not nearly as nasty as, say, boneset tea.)

I make an onion cough syrup by simmering a large, cut-up onion in water, honey, and lemon juice until the onion's reduced to pulp.  I find it tasty--like a glaze for meat.  Wink

Brina
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 09, 2008, 07:58:29 pm »

Never tried the Thyme tea, is it your own brew or store-bought?

Just plain ol' dried thyme. Smiley We get it in bulk from the health food type store. (They sell bulk spices and stuff...more a cooking store actually...or country store. Not sure what to call the place.)

Hey does anyone know an easy recipe for honey hand cream?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: January 09, 2008, 09:07:41 pm »

Hey does anyone know an easy recipe for honey hand cream?

Try this one if you like.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 09, 2008, 09:11:53 pm »

Try this one if you like.

Oh thanks Celtee!!

It's not something I can see me doing "as a matter of course" because it's more time (and probably expense) than I want to go through for just everyday dryness (I have a lot of stuff to take care of that!!) but I can definitely see trying it at some point!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)