The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 11:53:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 11:53:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honey for Healing  (Read 24252 times)
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 05, 2011, 11:43:00 am »

In the News "Honey Makes Medical Comeback"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921

I swear by honey and lemon in tea at the first sign of a sore throat. I also use it against laryngitis. I had never heard of applying it to wounds before though.

How do you use it for healing? Any other honey uses to share?

I've used it for nausea and diarrhea. It's a tablespoon of honey and it helps both of those. It has to be not store bought though. It also has helped me reduce scars because it kick starts new cell growth. (I have a nasty scar on my neck from surgery Sad)

I've heard that it can be used for mouthwashes to kill germs but I don't know how that would work with all the sugar and whatnot.  

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 05, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »

How do you use it for healing? Any other honey uses to share?

Honey is specifically mentioned as a remedy in the Qur'an and the Hadith.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 05, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »

Honey is specifically mentioned as a remedy in the Qur'an and the Hadith.

Remedy for what?  Love my honey, so always looking for new tidbits on it. Smiley

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 06, 2011, 07:55:39 am »

Remedy for what?  Love my honey, so always looking for new tidbits on it. Smiley

Unfortunately they don't say.  Smiley Well, the hadith treats it as a sort of cure-all, but that isn't very helpful.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: June 06, 2011, 12:25:32 pm »

It has to be not store bought though.
Just curious, why is this?  In the US, you can't put additives in honey and still call it honey, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the processing or with being aware of the sources?  Or is it a more metaphysical reason?

And do you gather your own honey?  (That would be so awesome.  Well, it wouldn't be for me, what with the bee fear, but still...)  Or would purchasing it at a farmer's market be OK?
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 06, 2011, 12:35:24 pm »

Just curious, why is this?  In the US, you can't put additives in honey and still call it honey, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the processing or with being aware of the sources?  Or is it a more metaphysical reason?

My guess would be that most store bought honey is heated quite a bit to make processing easier, which in turn destroys some of the benefits. (Not all of them: because of the physical structure, there are still a number of healing properties in there.)

Honey from a farmer's market or other small producer is more likely to not have been heated quite as much - or you can sometimes find 'raw' honey which is only lightly strained and minimally processed.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 06, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »

My guess would be that most store bought honey is heated quite a bit to make processing easier, which in turn destroys some of the benefits. (Not all of them: because of the physical structure, there are still a number of healing properties in there.)

Honey from a farmer's market or other small producer is more likely to not have been heated quite as much - or you can sometimes find 'raw' honey which is only lightly strained and minimally processed.

there's also version of honey with bee pollen in it,and the super dark manuka honey is supposed to be all kindsa good for you,and what's that other honey with weird stuff left in it......the name is escaping me,...oh! royal gelee!

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 06, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

This makes sense, thank you.
woodhick
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 03:34:42 pm

Religion: old pagan

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 06, 2011, 11:42:58 pm »

Here´s one of my favourite drinks to get well when bit of sick or cold.

Hot Tea
Rhum 2-4 cl
Honey

Then I just charge it with healing energy and it is ready.

a shot or two of Honey liquor and black tea....so good for a chest cold and asthma.....

I've used it on my eczema (put some on the "dry patches" and loosely cover so the dog doesn't lick off) and it helps to moisturize the spot, also used on infected wounds the same way... I still scar if the wound is bad, but it heals nicely.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #54: June 07, 2011, 12:41:47 am »

a shot or two of Honey liquor and black tea....so good for a chest cold and asthma....

I have some locally produced cinnamon honey that works wonderfully for that.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
woodhick
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 07, 2011, 01:19:51 am »

I have some locally produced cinnamon honey that works wonderfully for that.

Absent

Cinnamon honey sounds so good.... Smiley
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #56: June 10, 2011, 08:27:30 pm »

Just curious, why is this?  In the US, you can't put additives in honey and still call it honey, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the processing or with being aware of the sources?  Or is it a more metaphysical reason?

And do you gather your own honey?  (That would be so awesome.  Well, it wouldn't be for me, what with the bee fear, but still...)  Or would purchasing it at a farmer's market be OK?

It has to do with processing. They boil it down and do all kinds of other things to sterilize it. It kills the good bacteria and all of its properties. Farmers markets are great though. They're bee keepers who just harvest it and sometimes you can still buy it on the comb. That's always really tasty. You might be able to find non processed honey at a health food store..but I don't know. There was a bee keeper that lived the next street over from me that we always bought from.

(Well, I see it's already been answered...lol)

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: June 10, 2011, 08:49:01 pm »

It has to do with processing. They boil it down and do all kinds of other things to sterilize it. It kills the good bacteria and all of its properties. Farmers markets are great though. They're bee keepers who just harvest it and sometimes you can still buy it on the comb. That's always really tasty. You might be able to find non processed honey at a health food store..but I don't know. There was a bee keeper that lived the next street over from me that we always bought from.

(Well, I see it's already been answered...lol)

I've always been curious.  What do you do with the comb? Is it edible?  There isn't ever any bees, larva or eggs left in the comb, is there?  (sorry if that's a silly question, just always wondered if that happened or not.)

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #58: June 10, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »

And do you gather your own honey?  (That would be so awesome.  Well, it wouldn't be for me, what with the bee fear, but still...)  Or would purchasing it at a farmer's market be OK?

There are other reasons for not buying store bought like suspicious points of origin and antibiotic contamination such as in this case: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20015516-504083.html and http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Seattle-defendant-pleads-guilty-to-importing-1305821.php?source=rss

I prefer local honey from the market because it cuts out the middlemen, supports small local businesses (as a partner in a small local business I can't NOT support my cohorts), and as others have pointed out is better for assisting with allergies.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
woodhick
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #59: June 11, 2011, 01:08:27 am »

I've always been curious.  What do you do with the comb? Is it edible?  There isn't ever any bees, larva or eggs left in the comb, is there?  (sorry if that's a silly question, just always wondered if that happened or not.)

I chew on the comb for a bit and then spit it out. It is edible, but after all the honey is out of it, i don't think it tastes good.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)