The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 06:58:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 06:58:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Secret  (Read 6576 times)
Angerslegacy
Apprentice
Last Login:January 11, 2008, 11:23:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Paganism-Wiccan

I will stay forever here...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 09, 2008, 12:05:23 am »

What do you guys think about this new Book that seems to be so popular.

I found this on youtube.com and thought it would be interesting to pass on to others.

[Warning: The following link leads to a 20-minute video -- RSS]

http://www.youtube.com/v/_b1GKGWJbE8&rel=1

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:15:24 am by RandallS, Reason: Edited to removed HTML code that will not work here and warn about long video » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: January 09, 2008, 02:38:59 am »

I found this on youtube.com and thought it would be interesting to pass on to others.

A quick word...  First, the code you posted wouldn't have worked because it's HTML and the board software uses BBcode.  Second, really with YouTube videos I think it would be better if people who want to point other posters to them just post a link to the video instead of trying to display it in a message.  Saves posters on slower connections having to load them if they're on slow connections and don't care to watch them.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 09, 2008, 07:14:24 am »

What do you all think?

This link'll work: http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=_b1GKGWJbE8&rel=1&eurl=http%3A/wZWmVDHLwJ3&

Baba Nam Kevalam.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 09, 2008, 07:52:29 am »

Cannnot get the sound to work on either link. May be just my computer tho.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 09, 2008, 08:08:26 am »

Second, really with YouTube videos I think it would be better if people who want to point other posters to them just post a link to the video instead of trying to display it in a message.  Saves posters on slower connections having to load them if they're on slow connections and don't care to watch them.  Wink

Definitely use links.  Autoloading multi-megabyte files is rude and annoying -- and can cost people on some types of connections money and/or a large portion of their monthly quota. Links to pages that allow people to start the film if they wish are great.

And for those who are not interested in watching a 15-20 minute video they know nothing about, here is a link to the film's web site:

http://www.thesecret.tv/

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 06:26:55 pm

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 09, 2008, 08:28:47 am »

Saves posters on slower connections having to load them if they're on slow connections and don't care to watch them.  Wink

I care to watch them, but with a less than 56.6k connection, it is extremely time-consuming to sit and download for an hour!  There are many things I would love to view, but it takes far too long to download!

Heck, I have a hard enough time accessing my University Webmail at this speed!

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 09, 2008, 09:48:38 am »

What do you all think?
I can't see the video from here, but I have watched the full DVD of the Secret.

My opinion?  A couple kernels of useful (though not terribly "secret") information buried under a boat load of feel good nonsense.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 09, 2008, 10:20:56 am »

[Warning: The following link leads to a 20-minute video -- RSS]

What do you all think?

Haven't read it, haven't seen the full length film, just watched the 25 min one but I will admit I was surfing other sites at the same time, I don't have the patience to watch that without other distractions. My opinion, it's a money making sham who's only kernel of useful information can be found in the blatantly obvious. They took something that is pretty well known and pretty obvious to figure out, that if you feel good you tend to continue to feel good, timesed it by ten and tried to sell it as fact. Yes, feeling good can make good things happen, it can make you get that job (because you are confident) or have a great conversation with a really interesting person, but no matter how good you feel it is not going to change the fact you hit a traffic jam on the way to work, or your morgage payment is coming up, it is simply going to change how you feel about it. Essentially this is a piece of cut glass put in a Swarovski box wrapped up, tied with a ribbon and sold as a diamond.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: January 09, 2008, 10:23:11 am »

Essentially this is a piece of cut glass put in a Swarovski box wrapped up, tied with a ribbon and sold as a diamond.

That pretty much sums up what I thought of it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 09, 2008, 12:58:34 pm »

but no matter how good you feel it is not going to change the fact you hit a traffic jam on the way to work, or your morgage payment is coming up, it is simply going to change how you feel about it.

Exactly.  The way I think about life etc doesnt change significantly between my moods.  The only difference is that I dont mind my negative view of the world when Im in a good mood.
Thinking you can keep life happy just by being positive...  I can imagine that leading to people being disappointed (not to mention paranoid about controlling their emotions).

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 09, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »

Thinking you can keep life happy just by being positive...  I can imagine that leading to people being disappointed (not to mention paranoid about controlling their emotions).
Worse, and far more disturbing, is it can have the effect of blaming the victim.  If something aweful happened to you, you must have committed some kind of "thought crime" and therefore deserve it. 

They sort of address this in the DVD, but only by saying "this is not what we mean."  Their "explanation" boils down to "only positive thoughts have power."  How does that work exactly?
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 09, 2008, 01:26:26 pm »

Worse, and far more disturbing, is it can have the effect of blaming the victim.  If something aweful happened to you, you must have committed some kind of "thought crime" and therefore deserve it. 

They sort of address this in the DVD, but only by saying "this is not what we mean."  Their "explanation" boils down to "only positive thoughts have power."  How does that work exactly?

The 25 min thing seemed to be all about how the universe could not discern positive thoughts from negative ones and so brought you what you thought of, positive of negative, this would rather contradict that explanation.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 09, 2008, 02:52:50 pm »

*snip!* What do you all think?

I'll stick to the full spectrum of Hermeticism, methinks, rather than this slightly odd, new-agey little snippet of it which has been hugely extrapolated on. As Dion Fortune said (paraphrasing Aleister Crowley); magic is the art of changing consiousness at will. But it's straight-up not this simple, in my opinion, and there's thousands of years of reasoning and research behind it.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 09, 2008, 03:07:46 pm »

Haven't read it, not going to.

Honestly this whole "think positive and good things will happen to you" is the biggest bit of fluff I have ever heard. (It seems to be an undercurrent in all other varieties of fluff, LOL). The idea that you can do anything you want and be anything you want...just by thinking positively...with no actual WORK is so typical of today's society.

It makes me want to laugh, or puke, I'm not sure which. No, sorry, you can NOT think positively that you are going to be a millionaire, then expect it to happen while sitting on the couch. Duh.

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 09, 2008, 03:30:47 pm »

No, sorry, you can NOT think positively that you are going to be a millionaire, then expect it to happen while sitting on the couch. Duh.
Well, to be fair, even The Secret People admit it is slightly more complex than that.  They say that you have to act on inspiration when it hits.  Think happy thoughts and the universe will send good stuff your way, but you still have to reach out and grab it when it comes, though.

Not that I'm arguing in their favor, by any means.  I totally agree with the "absolute fluff" part.  I just have some (surprisingly intelligent, well-educated) friends who are way into this thing.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)