The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 21, 2019, 10:15:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2019, 10:15:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cauldron Suggestions Wanted: How Would You Improve TC?  (Read 23639 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 11, 2008, 06:18:50 pm »

It's not only time for our Annual Donation Drive, it's time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all.  (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the last ten years).

Four items are completely off the table, however:

1) Changing forum software.

2) Eliminating/weakening our quoting rules. (The Hosts will shut down the board first -- seriously, having quoting with the backlinks to the quoted message is that important.)

3) Eliminating the restrictions on accounts that have not qualified for Full Membership.

4) Turning the board away from its "Discussion and Debate" orientation.

Suggestions regarding other areas will be considered. Suggestions that take a lot of staff time or that cost money will be considered, but will will be far less likely to be implemented (for obvious reasons).

Staff may not reply to suggestions, but they ARE read.  (And I read every one of them.)

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 11, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »

It's not only time for our Annual Donation Drive, it's time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all.  (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the last ten years).

I think it would be nice if there were some way to tag a post or topic. I don't know if that is possible though.  So many times I read something I like, or want to think about, then forget where it was posted and have a heck of a time finding the thing again - pitfall of having such a large and successful forum I guess.   Smiley
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 11, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »

I think it would be nice if there were some way to tag a post or topic. I don't know if that is possible though.  So many times I read something I like, or want to think about, then forget where it was posted and have a heck of a time finding the thing again - pitfall of having such a large and successful forum I guess.   Smiley

This might be doable.  There is a "Bookmark" mod for SMF that allows uses to bookmark threads and then see a list of their bookmarked threads. There was, however, some problem with it and this modded version of SMF that made it not wiork herethe last time I looked at it about six months ago. I'll see if anything has changed.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 11, 2008, 07:11:40 pm »

I think it would be nice if there were some way to tag a post or topic.

I second that.  I'd love a way to "mark all topics as read" EXCEPT for selected ones that I know I'll want to go back to.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 11, 2008, 07:26:59 pm »

I second that.  I'd love a way to "mark all topics as read" EXCEPT for selected ones that I know I'll want to go back to.

On a related note, I'd like a way to "mark all topics as read" that are older than a certain date, so I can get rid of threads that are more than two days old, f'ex, but keep the newer ones up to read.

I hope that made sense.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 11, 2008, 07:46:09 pm »

The bookmark just stores the threads.  If you mark all threads read, when you go to the bookmarked thread, you will it will go to the new messages in the thread posted after you marked all read.  No SMF Mod Writerone has come up with any way to just make some threads exceptions to the "Mark all read" operation.  I doubt it is doable without overloading the server. Sad

Randall
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 11, 2008, 08:29:43 pm »

The bookmark just stores the threads.  If you mark all threads read, when you go to the bookmarked thread, you will it will go to the new messages in the thread posted after you marked all read.  No SMF Mod Writerone has come up with any way to just make some threads exceptions to the "Mark all read" operation.  I doubt it is doable without overloading the server. Sad

Would it be possible to have "mark as read" umm... checkboxes? I'm not sure how to explain it, but some way there could be a 'mark the selected as read' option, then it would be possible to keep particular threads as unread.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 11, 2008, 08:32:50 pm »

Would it be possible to have "mark as read" umm... checkboxes? I'm not sure how to explain it, but some way there could be a 'mark the selected as read' option, then it would be possible to keep particular threads as unread.

Or maybe it would be easier to mark a few threads (the ones you want to come back to later) as "unread", then get rid of all the others by marking them "read"?

Or something like that...

I think what I'm really trying to describe is something like GMail, where you can tag threads different ways to make it easier to ditch the ones you're done with, but keep visible the ones you still want to come back to.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 11, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »

it's time for our annual "suggestion drive"

I think that if there is enough interest, maybe we could have a Native American religion/tradition/spirituality SIG?

There isn't much I would change, I love it here Smiley

*Síocháin*
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 11, 2008, 09:07:54 pm »

There is nothing like this that I've seen for SMF.

Randall
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 11, 2008, 09:18:34 pm »

Maybe you could put a little notepad on the profile pages so that maybe, as soon as you see a thread that you like, you can copy and paste the title on the notepad so you can remember to see it. Did that make sense? There's something similar on this rpg site I'm on, that's where I got the idea. Because, you know, if you just write down the thread names on a piece of paper, you'll just lose it.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 11, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »

Or maybe it would be easier to mark a few threads (the ones you want to come back to later) as "unread", then get rid of all the others by marking them "read"

But then, how do you differentiate between the ones you've read and liked and the ones that you actually haven't read?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 11, 2008, 09:23:49 pm »

But then, how do you differentiate between the ones you've read and liked and the ones that you actually haven't read?

Ummmm.  I don't know.  That wasn't the problem I was thinking about.

It's probably not do-able on this software, but GMail has a way to "star" threads -- like flagging messages in Microsoft Outlook.  Starring would be really helpful for finding those important, want-to-go-back-to-them threads.

But what I was looking for was a way to get rid of a bumch of threads I'm not going to read -- f'ex, everything before a certain date because I got behind in my reading -- while keeping all the newer threads that I think I can catch up on.

I don't think I'm making sense.  I'm sorry.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 11, 2008, 09:56:12 pm »

Ummmm.  I don't know.  That wasn't the problem I was thinking about.

It's probably not do-able on this software, but GMail has a way to "star" threads -- like flagging messages in Microsoft Outlook.  Starring would be really helpful for finding those important, want-to-go-back-to-them threads.

But what I was looking for was a way to get rid of a bumch of threads I'm not going to read -- f'ex, everything before a certain date because I got behind in my reading -- while keeping all the newer threads that I think I can catch up on.

I don't think I'm making sense.  I'm sorry.

no, it makes sense to me. Also, threads that have switched course, and you are no longer interested in. My mommy board, on world crossing, has that feature, most helpful.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 13, 2008, 09:38:13 am »

This might be doable.  There is a "Bookmark" mod for SMF that allows uses to bookmark threads and then see a list of their bookmarked threads. There was, however, some problem with it and this modded version of SMF that made it not wiork herethe last time I looked at it about six months ago. I'll see if anything has changed.

Great, thanks!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.