The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2022, 07:51:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2022, 07:51:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cauldron Suggestions Wanted: How Would You Improve TC?  (Read 38706 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: June 22, 2008, 06:23:32 pm »

It's doable, but I'm not sure I see how this would work. If everyone would have access to it, why would one be more comfortable posting there than on a regular board.  All the younger members would still be there.

Same reason anything gets broken down instead of being just one big board I guess. For one thing it would make such topics eaiser to find, plus you would know right off the bat that the issues were going to be age related.

Right now if I posted under say, Family, most of the posts there revolve around raising a family, breastfeeding, kids, etc. I feel like an old granny posting about my life there.  Of course the Health board is good for lots of things but there is more to aging than just aches and pains.

No it need not be exclusive, but like any separate board some members shy away from what they feel to be "foreign" territory.  For example I rarely go into the Hellenic or Celtic Boards because I know for the most part I am way out of my element there. But, if someones posts a Hellenic topic under say Gods/Goddesses I might get involved in a more general discussion of the deities.

There is a teen board after all.   Grin       

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #91: June 22, 2008, 06:27:03 pm »

If there is enough interest and someone could be found to do the SIG leader work, I have no from with an "Old Pagans SIG"

Sorry I didn't realize you posted this before I responded. I completely understand about the staffing issue. And I know you and Lyric are going though a lot right now anyway. No rush.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: June 22, 2008, 06:28:28 pm »

Dear, you read my mind Smiley I was just thinking the other day about starting a thread specifically about peri-and menopause issues, but wasn't sure where to put it here.
But now it's got to wait, I'm getting ready to leave town-first camping trip of the year, woohoo!

We do seem to be of like mind these days - enjoy your trip!
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #93: June 27, 2008, 12:05:22 pm »

If there is enough interest and someone could be found to do the SIG leader work, I have no from with an "Old Pagans SIG"

*old* pagans...harumph...speak for yourself, dude Wink
but it does seem that nearly all the ladies over 40  hereabouts are already very busy, so if no one is available to host a SIG, I may just post on the health board, or the family board. And I feel quite sure that the young folks have not one speck of interest in my old lady female complaints, anyway.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #94: June 28, 2008, 01:17:47 am »

but it does seem that nearly all the ladies over 40  hereabouts are already very busy, so if no one is available to host a SIG, I may just post on the health board, or the family board. And I feel quite sure that the young folks have not one speck of interest in my old lady female complaints, anyway.

Hah, we of the younger generations sometimes would like a "heads up" on what we'll be going through soon enough.  That's why people live past certain ages, to give their wisdom to those who are younger.  If we died at, for example, 40 who would pass on the torch of wisdom?  Certainly not those of us too busy working and raising our families to answer every young persons question.  There is a purpose for "old fogeys", and it's not as the punchline to bad jokes. 

Besides, there are those of us who respect the wisdom the older generations pass on.  I used to sit and talk with my gram for hours, she kept me grounded.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:23:32 am by wisdomsbane » Logged

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #95: June 28, 2008, 12:19:54 pm »

There is a purpose for "old fogeys". 

oh, how nice for me Roll Eyes
But I do take your point, and glad you brought it up.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #96: June 28, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »

That's why people live past certain ages, to give their wisdom to those who are younger.  If we died at, for example, 40 who would pass on the torch of wisdom? 

Unfortunately, I know way to many older people who think age automatically means wisdom and the right to 'advice' people.  I've also meet young people who were very wise.  I don't think age has anything to do with wisdom.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: June 28, 2008, 01:18:32 pm »

Unfortunately, I know way to many older people who think age automatically means wisdom and the right to 'advice' people.  I've also meet young people who were very wise.  I don't think age has anything to do with wisdom.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Wisdom in those of us who are younger seldom comes from a lot of experience, mostly it's just those things we've been told by our elders that actually made sense.  Those who have the age, but not the wisdom, I don't consider to be elders, they are just kids in more... um, mature bodies.  Then again, I've seen some kids who have had more experiences than most adults ever will.  It can make them wiser, but they seldom have the time in between to actually process what has happened.

I used to think I was wise when I was younger, because that's what people always told me.  I finally came to realize that I wasn't the one who was actually wise, it was my father and my grandparents, who had passed their wisdom on to me.  I can only hope to be wise as I experience more.

As for those who think that just because they are older they are wiser, their words and actions tend to tell the truth of their wisdom (or lack thereof).  From what I've seen so far in TC, most of yall have very good heads on your shoulders.  I think this is the first pagan-based forum, which is actually just that.  A lot of them tend to turn into some sort of demi-orgy, or freak show, etc.  Here I can actually have a serious conversation about things and know that the replies will, for the most part, be on topic, or at least topic related.

So, go ahead and give us your wisdom, elders, just remember that we may not always listen (hey, we're still 'kids'  Tongue).

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #98: June 29, 2008, 10:58:44 am »

He he, my thought was the same there about the "old" comment!  especially when Randall - (I see we are are same age?)  made it  Grin

A thought about the postings, if no staff member is available for this, could we do like is done with the subdivisions in the News categories? Separate categories are started within the News items under monthly headings for Archaeology and Consumers posts. Could his be done under Miscellaneous or Family with the subheading of Crone's Corner? or Aging? or whatever - but no Old Fogies or Old Pagan headings please!

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #99: July 09, 2008, 02:01:07 am »

He he, my thought was the same there about the "old" comment!  especially when Randall - (I see we are are same age?)  made it  Grin

A thought about the postings, if no staff member is available for this, could we do like is done with the subdivisions in the News categories? Separate categories are started within the News items under monthly headings for Archaeology and Consumers posts. Could his be done under Miscellaneous or Family with the subheading of Crone's Corner? or Aging? or whatever - but no Old Fogies or Old Pagan headings please!

Hmmm, how about something to do with Elders?  Something like Elders' Cave, or Hut.  Then again we could do something with "A Room Full of Rocking Chairs (no cats, please)?  Tongue

My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #100: July 09, 2008, 05:32:47 am »

Hmmm, how about something to do with Elders?  Something like Elders' Cave, or Hut.  Then again we could do something with "A Room Full of Rocking Chairs (no cats, please)?  Tongue

Elder's Cave? Now *that is hecka croney-y. Makes me think of weird sisters, and cackling and stuff. Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Lumara
Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2008, 09:05:41 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan/Lightworker

Goddess of the Holler

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #101: July 20, 2008, 09:42:16 am »

It's not only time for our Annual Donation Drive, it's time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all.  (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the last ten years).

My suggestion would be less nit-picking about unimportant matters. I will explain.

I first started posting on other forums around 10 years ago and I have never run into such a hypercritical environment. I've been on two other pagan forums and they weren't like this. Since this forum is described as a friendly place, this does not compute. Examples:

Someone complained because a poster had put two spaces between her paragraphs instead of one. Huh? So what? Huh

Yesterday someone complained because I had edited a post 25 minutes after posting it. Since no one had responded to it, and I realized afterwards that something I posted might draw yet more criticism, I edited it - and drew more criticism as a result. Since no one had responded at the time I edited it, what harm was done? None. Yet if I hadn't edited it, I felt that someone would nitpick what I said. That turned out to be  a no-win situation for me there.

In an older thread someone had announced that he (or maybe she) was going to post without using capitals. A bunch of people jumped on that one. Huh? If someone finds it difficult to read because the first letter of each sentence isn't capitalized, the poster isn't the one with the problem. Now I admit to being anal about spelling and punctuation myself because of being a tech writer for so many years, but this is a forum, not a thesis.

These are just a few examples of the many nit-picky criticisms I've seen and when you multiply it manyfold, well, it doesn't create a friendly environment.

When a person posts an inoffensive, topical post and sees that someone has replied, and they eagerly go into the thread to see what was posted only to read "You shouldn't have done that" I don't see that as being friendly, but as hypercritical and discouraging.

So that's why my suggestion is basically to lighten up.  Tongue

Singing and drumming and dancing in the hollow
Where we go few mortals can follow.
The fae are in the sacred grove,
The sprites are in the creek.
Be still and listen - you may hear them when they speak.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #102: July 20, 2008, 09:54:51 am »

So that's why my suggestion is basically to lighten up.

The problem is, we have these rules for a REASON.  Readability is important.  So is not eating up hard drive space of the person that's generous enough to host our site.  (It is a private site, and the person hosting it is not paid for this).

We have many members for whom English is not a first language.  Doing things that confuse them without just cause is a problem.

Citing sources is important because otherwise we don't know how to take the information.  If I say "and I heard somewhere that space aliens are going to come and save us all" it makes a BIG difference if I heard it from my friend down the street or from NASA.

The editing rules are not going to change.  They keep our conversations on the same page.  Otherwise, people that have read a post may come back and find that people are having two different conversations.  You say no one had replied, so it didn't matter - but that doesn't mean it wasn't READ.  And people would be confused if it was then replied to in a way that indicated a different post.

Our goal is to create a level playing field - not to be the nice police.  Discussion and debate requires that we all have the same conversation at the same time.  If that's a problem, there are other places that are more focused on fellowship.  But this isn't it - and it's not going to become that.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #103: July 20, 2008, 10:34:10 am »

My suggestion would be less nit-picking about unimportant matters. I will explain.

We try not to nit-pick on unimportant matters, but what is an unimportant matter on most Pagan boards (which tend to be fellowship boards with fun leanings) and what is an unimportant matter on a debate and discussion board with scholarly/academic leanings (like this board) are two completely different things.

I first started posting on other forums around 10 years ago and I have never run into such a hypercritical environment. I've been on two other pagan forums and they weren't like this. Since this forum is described as a friendly place, this does not compute.

Most Pagan boards are more oriented toward fellowship than to debate and discussion. This forum is a very friendly debate and discussion board, but people used to (or looking for/expecting) a fellowship board find TC somewhat unfriendly and intimidating. As we aren't trying to be a fellowship-style board, the hosts, staff, and most long-term members do not see the problem. There are plenty of fellowship-oriented Pagan boards out there for those who want one. The Cauldron, however, is a debate and discussion board and has been since it opened 10.5 years ago.

Someone complained because a poster had put two spaces between her paragraphs instead of one. Huh? So what?

It makes it hard for many people to read the message.  Which is always why we ask people to write in short paragraphs with blank lines between them. This style is much more readable on a monitor.

Yesterday someone complained because I had edited a post 25 minutes after posting it.

The rules say not to edit after more than a few minutes have gone by except for correcting typos. You broke the rules, so it got mentioned. It wasn't even a formal warning.

In an older thread someone had announced that he (or maybe she) was going to post without using capitals. A bunch of people jumped on that one. Huh? If someone finds it difficult to read because the first letter of each sentence isn't capitalized, the poster isn't the one with the problem.

This can make it hard for many members, especially those who for whom English is not their first language, to read. This is why we also ban text message speak and the like. Unlike misspellings and poor grammar, these things are a choice one makes. If one wants to be able to make such choices, one needs to do so on a different board.

These are just a few examples of the many nit-picky criticisms I've seen and when you multiply it manyfold, well, it doesn't create a friendly environment.

It creates a more friendly environment for this board. On a fellowship-style board, some of objections would have more merit, but here they really don't.

So that's why my suggestion is basically to lighten up.  Tongue

For a debate and discussion board, we are pretty light. You don't see flame wars all the time. If you need even "lighter" you may simply need to look for a different board that better matches what you desire in a board.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #104: July 23, 2008, 09:13:07 am »

Most Pagan boards are more oriented toward fellowship than to debate and discussion. This forum is a very friendly debate and discussion board, but people used to (or looking for/expecting) a fellowship board find TC somewhat unfriendly and intimidating. As we aren't trying to be a fellowship-style board, the hosts, staff, and most long-term members do not see the problem. There are plenty of fellowship-oriented Pagan boards out there for those who want one. The Cauldron, however, is a debate and discussion board and has been since it opened 10.5 years ago.

Just want to throw my two cents in and say I don't take offense at mods correcting me or anyone else, I don't take it personally, mods have a job to do and they always do it in a nice "just a reminder" kind of way.

I also agree that personal chit chat, (unless it was the nature of the post to begin with, such as a humor post or personal post) should be kept to a minimum. There is nothing more annoying than to have a serious discussion going on and then have two or more members drive the thread off into a personal chit chat zone. But again I have seen mods come to the rescue here and ask those members to take their conversations off board. The mods aren't doing it to be mean or throw their weight around but sometimes members can be too sensitive and take it personally, as if they are not welcome on the board.

TC has topics on religion, politics and sex among other things, which can be hot topics with the potential to offend. I have sometimes found myself with a sole point of view on a topic and always felt the unseen presence of the mods.  Not that they are there to police or control us, but just to make sure everyone is still playing nice. 

This is just my long winded way of saying I think this is a well run board.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.