The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 22, 2021, 02:24:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2021, 02:24:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have an altar in your house?  (Read 35991 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #135: August 12, 2007, 05:45:22 pm »

My altar/working area is at the end of my bed, a table I bought from a second hand store. About 1/2 m wide and 1.5 m long - but then again I am going by sight approximation Tongue

I have a green cloth on it - basically to brighten up my room.
A bunch load of candles on it, some wooden boxes packed with herbs, oil burner, incense holder, other little nick nax of boxes. A morter and pestle, 2 crystal balls and a scarab beetle ornament.
I used to have a statue of Bast that my brother bought for me one birthday (i just LOVE cats ^^).

Oh and on my altar is also my kitty's water bowl lol. It was originally a bowl I found in this witchy store that caught my eye - ment to be a scrying bowl. I could have made my own but the outside details were gorgeous. Around the edges it has some knotwork and images of the maiden, mother and crone.
I brought it home and thought Id try it out - put water in it and straight away my kitty took to it and drinks from there. She refuses to drink from her normal water bowl and only drinks from the one on my altar. Call it devine intervention or whatever but the gods werent working for my benifit that day - I was a tool to get my kitty her expensive water bowl lol.

Are you sure you arent making an offering to Bast? LOL

I mean you once had a statue of Bast there, I notice you mentioned a scarab beetle on there, and your cat drinks from the bowl....

Sounds Egyptian Wink

Of course I could be way off....

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #136: August 12, 2007, 10:56:32 pm »

Are you sure you arent making an offering to Bast? LOL

I mean you once had a statue of Bast there, I notice you mentioned a scarab beetle on there, and your cat drinks from the bowl....

Sounds Egyptian Wink

Of course I could be way off....

Gina

I was think the same thing, but then looked and say Celtic.  But, to each his own.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: bit of This, bit of That

'Be different like us' - 'Hmm no.. I have a life'

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #137: August 12, 2007, 11:49:10 pm »

I just put items that mean something to me on my working space... my altar doesnt have a theme.
Bast statue was significant to me considering my brother bought it for me and the scarab beetle reminds me of my last visit to see my father.

I see my altar as a place that reflects who I am not who I worship.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #138: August 13, 2007, 07:07:12 am »

I just put items that mean something to me on my working space... my altar doesnt have a theme.
Bast statue was significant to me considering my brother bought it for me and the scarab beetle reminds me of my last visit to see my father.

Glas, please quote the person you're responding to?  just use the quote/reply button when responding.

Thanks. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #139: August 13, 2007, 11:32:39 am »

Ah, I see my altar as a place that reflects me and my background, a place to reflect who and what I worship, and the world/environment/milleu that I am currently in.  Mixed together, it's pretty balanced.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #140: August 13, 2007, 02:53:09 pm »

I love to hear about other Witches' altars!  Tell me about yours.  Smiley

Well, since my last post in this topic my alter has begun to change quite a lot. I am heading of to college in about a week and I am altering my altar to deal with being in dorm accommodation and with the presence of a room mate. At the moment the new altar consists of a fossil shell, a piece of tiger's eye, a small dream catcher with a feather on it and a piece of molten copper; each representing one of the elements. I also have 3 statues, one of Tara, one of Avalokiteshvara and one of Kwan Yin's lions. The final part of my alter is a carved soapstone egg that my parents got me in Kashmir. All of this sits on a plain white alter cloth.

At home I still have my whole shelving unit of old books, photos, drawings, candles, incense and various spiritual artifacts. But I am trying to downsize for college and find something less likely to make my room mate uncomfortable. I am still a little worried that she will not be comfortable with the new set up and I guess I will just have to wait until we meet and start moving in. I am also buying a bunch of herbs to go on the window sill that can be my visible dedication if my altar turns out to provoke too much discomfort.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #141: August 30, 2007, 04:17:14 am »

I try to bring a couple of things to make mini altars if I'm going to be away from home overnight, as well.  It just makes me feel more comfortable in a strange place. 

Before I moved here to Japan I studied at a the same university as my sister, so we shared a home.  When I packed to move here, I found myself strangely reluctant to take any large portion of my altar with me.  Truth be told, my guardian left the distinct impression that it should stay as it was.  It was a bizarre experience, especially since I've never moved anywhere and left any part of my altar behind!

So when I moved here, the only thing I came with were a deck of tarot cards, my working journals, and my amulet.  Talk about starting from scratch!  But sometimes I think that's half the fun.  Now I have a small altar set up in my closet, (Japanese closets are set up with a shelf partition in the middle to hold blankets and futon matresses), and its a mainly elemental one, though my deities are hard at my heels on finishing their paintings.  Fortunately I have no shortage of herbs, and offerings.

The altar's current incarnation has a brightly woven green scarf with threads of different colors throughout as the the altar cloth.  On top of that are small pieces of fun pottery in the appropriate elemental colors for the offerings.  In the center is a cosmetics mirror that I've woven all the elemental colored threads around to honor them.  And selection of herbs line the back of the wall in a series of teacups.  Once the paintings are done they will hang over the altar, but for now everyone seems pleased with my efforts, even me.  Although when my Japanese friends come to visit they're never quite sure what to make of this colorful setup in my closet of all places!  *laughs*

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
NightPhoenix
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 30, 2008, 10:28:13 am

Religion: Christian (Eastern Orthodox)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #142: October 13, 2007, 02:41:36 pm »

I thought this thread was very interesting! (still haven't read all the posts). Orthodox Christians don't have home "altars" in the strictest sense of how we mean the word "altar"...but we do have what we call an icon or prayer corner in our homes. Some families will have more than one....a family icon corner in the main living area, and private ones in bedrooms or other areas. I have just one......it consists of a corner shelf I got at a home supply store, and 2 icons, one of Christ and one of my patron, Saint Thomas. I keep meaning get more icons, but never seem to get around to doing so. On the shelf I have a votive candle, with 100% beeswax candles, a censor, and palms....different times of year it might also have flowers, water from the great blessing of the waters, and for me that's pretty much it. Mine isn't very elaborate, and space and money is an issue so mine is pretty sparse.....but people who have been Orthodox for many years, or especially Greeks who've been Christian for many, many centuries, wll have icons and worship items passed down from generation to generation. I just have a small votive candle holder, but some people use hanging oil lamps as well as candles, and some will keep the flame burning perpetually if they've acquired the flame from the church's eternal flame which sits on the church Altar.

Again this isn't really altar in the strictest sense, but it is a "home altar" which is meant to be a focus point of prayer and meditation. Of course one can pray anywhere one wishes, but the icon corner is there to help.

Equinox
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 23, 2008, 12:11:23 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #143: October 22, 2007, 06:33:59 am »

I have a few... My favorite is my 'family altar'- there is a picture of each of my children, a family picture with the four of us, a large bear statue (me being the mama bear that I am LOL) and a few assorted odds and ends.

I also love my bathroom altar- my bathroom is my oasis- I have all of my pampering supplies set up along with candles, oils, and a statue of Venus Smiley

LadyWillow
Last Login:October 26, 2007, 11:02:10 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #144: October 26, 2007, 10:49:29 pm »

I have on altar in my college dorm. I have it in my closet on top of a sturdy wire shelf that I place all my books and some other items. I used a water bottle box to make the surface flat, and I made the center piece of my altar a small wooden box with decorations such as flowers, seashells, a rock, and a small spiral goddess pendant hanging from the top. I have it so I can place small pieces of paper on the box as prayers and what not. Underneath of the box, I have a blue box that holds all of my gemstones. In my box I have a small Kwan Yin statue. Beside the altar box, I have a large Buddha. In front of that is a flat stone my girlfriend started painting but hasn't finished yet. In front of my altar box and on top of the blue box I have 5 small cat statues ( I love them) and a really pretty rose candle. I have a piece of quartz, hematite and a smooth round stone on there as well. And since I can't have candles, I have two small battery operated tealite candles.
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #145: October 29, 2007, 10:39:21 am »

I'll go first.  I have two altars:

1.) THE ALTAR IN MY HOUSE (actually it's in my office).  My patron Goddess is Bast, the Egyptian cat goddess.  I don't have a lot of room in my office for an altar, so mine sits on top of a table full of file boxes.  I made it a portable altar in case I need to lift it up and get to the box of files underneath it.  It is made from a box of 500 #10 envelopes, and I attached the lid against the back of it so I could decorate the inside with pictures of Bast I have collected from different places as a backdrop.  The floor of the altar is covered with a bright pink bandana blessed with holy water.  The centerpiece of this altar is a fabulous 8 inch wood statue of Bast that I bought at Dragoncon last year in Atlanta.  Next to that sits a smaller statue plaster of Bast a friend gave me a few years ago.  Crystals and blessed objects of different kinds surround these statues.  My life is full of ritual, most of which I perform in my office.  I have a morning ritual I do every day before I start my day that includes this altar, so you could say it is very important to me.  I also have an evening ritual I do before I go to bed each night with the altar.

2.) THE ALTAR IN MY CAR.  There is another altar to Bast in my car in that 5 inch x 5 inch cubbyhole space behind the gear shift.  I have a lovely brass statue of Bast in there as well as different rune sigils for protection, health, and prosperity.  Every day when I get in my car to run errands for my book publishing business I say hello to that statue of Bast and run my fingers along her beautiful brass body in welcome.  I also the touch each rune spirit through their sigils and speak to all of them before I start my car.  Believe it or not, I got the idea for an altar for my car from one of my novels.  Yup, no kidding.  One of my characters kept a staute of her patron goddess in the glove compartment of her car and set it on the passenger seat every day to accompnay her home from work.  Since I had a tiny brass statue of Bast I thought it would be a neat idea to make a permanent altar in my car.  I guess you can tell how real the characters in my novels are to me.  Smiley 

Look forward to hearing from others about their altars!

Magickal Blessings...

cool set up. my altar changes a lot according to the rite, but basically it holds a ceramic statue of my matron deity Sharaye that I did about 13 years ago,  a god figure,wand athame, pentacle, candles and chalice. Then I add whatever other things like incenses, potpourri, shells etc the rite calls for. And sometimes I add Sharaye's friends like Bastet or the fairies

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Maple
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 25, 2007, 01:30:16 pm

Religion: Druid/Hindu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #146: October 30, 2007, 08:28:07 am »

I'll go first.  I have two altars:

1.) THE ALTAR IN MY HOUSE (actually it's in my office).  My patron Goddess is Bast, the Egyptian cat goddess.  I don't have a lot of room in my office for an altar, so mine sits on top of a table full of file boxes.  I made it a portable altar in case I need to lift it up and get to the box of files underneath it.  It is made from a box of 500 #10 envelopes, and I attached the lid against the back of it so I could decorate the inside with pictures of Bast I have collected from different places as a backdrop.  The floor of the altar is covered with a bright pink bandana blessed with holy water.  The centerpiece of this altar is a fabulous 8 inch wood statue of Bast that I bought at Dragoncon last year in Atlanta.  Next to that sits a smaller statue plaster of Bast a friend gave me a few years ago.  Crystals and blessed objects of different kinds surround these statues.  My life is full of ritual, most of which I perform in my office.  I have a morning ritual I do every day before I start my day that includes this altar, so you could say it is very important to me.  I also have an evening ritual I do before I go to bed each night with the altar.

2.) THE ALTAR IN MY CAR.  There is another altar to Bast in my car in that 5 inch x 5 inch cubbyhole space behind the gear shift.  I have a lovely brass statue of Bast in there as well as different rune sigils for protection, health, and prosperity.  Every day when I get in my car to run errands for my book publishing business I say hello to that statue of Bast and run my fingers along her beautiful brass body in welcome.  I also the touch each rune spirit through their sigils and speak to all of them before I start my car.  Believe it or not, I got the idea for an altar for my car from one of my novels.  Yup, no kidding.  One of my characters kept a staute of her patron goddess in the glove compartment of her car and set it on the passenger seat every day to accompnay her home from work.  Since I had a tiny brass statue of Bast I thought it would be a neat idea to make a permanent altar in my car.  I guess you can tell how real the characters in my novels are to me.  Smiley 

Magickal Blessings...

Altars...oh where to start!

In my partners and my bedroom we have three altars. A couples altar, and we each have our own personal altar. On mine I have half a cut geode (yes, the other half is on his) a cauldron, tarot deck, a handcarved soapstone statue of Hanuman (my diety), Black and white candles, my athame inscribed with runes at the base, incense burner, altar tile and various stones. I also have assorted tree branches, flowers, pine cones around.

Our roommate has an altar devoted to Bast in her bedroom.

In the main living area, we have an altar devoted to Ganesh with a hand painted Ganesh direct from India, a 25 mL Erlenmeyer flask we use for offering flowers (he is the lord of arts and sciences!) a brass bell, and an elephant brass incense burner. We also have the household altar with a statue of each diety, which is right now themed for the harvest with hay, and pumpkins, a cornucopia and autumn leaves.

We never actually intended to set up so many altars...but flat surfaces just kind of become them.
tasia
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 31, 2007, 08:29:37 pm

Religion: pagan... maybe...

taking myself back

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #147: October 30, 2007, 05:27:22 pm »

I'm not a witch but I do have an altar. It clearly demonstrates where I am at the moment: exploring, seeking, eclectic. Smiley Here's a link to a picture of it; if you mouse over the picture you can see the notes about what everything is and why it's there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdxaarons/420520564/in/set-72157594524839179/

Tasia
a soul newly free
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #148: October 30, 2007, 06:55:59 pm »

...if you mouse over the picture you can see the notes about what everything is and why it's there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdxaarons/420520564/in/set-72157594524839179/

That is tres cool. Cool

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
elizabethlynn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 05:08:59 pm

Religion: panentheistic paganism

It's the same Spirit, isn't it?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #149: November 11, 2007, 01:10:07 am »

My roommates Nathan and Aubrey and I have an altar, which is really the top of a coffee table, about three feet long and half a foot high.  It's covered in a red cloth (until we can find something more appropriate).  On the altar we have our white ritual candle, a black bowl, our incense burner, salt, and the panticle or altar paten, which has a pentacle interlaced with a crescent moon.  Then we have animal totems on it...Nathan has panthers, I have leopards, and Aubrey has dragons.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)