The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2020, 10:32:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 10:32:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Responsibility and Paganism  (Read 30936 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 16, 2008, 02:30:41 pm »

Web Site Article Discussion ThreadThis thread is for discussion of a specific article on our web site. Please limit discussion to questions and comments specific to this article. Feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate board if what you wish to discuss is not specific to the named article. Note that if you have arrived here from the discussion link on this article on our web site and are not a member of this message board, you will need to register an account to post in this thread. Thank you.

Responsibility and Paganism

"It's not my fault! It's her fault!"

"I didn't know... didn't research... didn't think..."

"You can't blame me... it wasn't against the Rede!"

"Why are these bad things happening to me?? I didn't do anything bad... not really...."

Do any of these sound familiar? As a mother I expected to hear them time after time. After all, one of my responsibilities as a mother was to teach my children to deal with their responsibilities. What has surprised and saddened me is the increasing numbers of times I hear comments like the above from people in the Pagan community.

Read the Full Article

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 16, 2008, 02:42:20 pm »

I personally think that there is way too little personal responsibility taken in this world. It runs rampant everywhere, but is very obvious in the Pagan community. I do believe that it cheapens pagan religions every time someone refuses to take responsibility for their actions within those religions.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 16, 2008, 05:38:39 pm »

I personally think that there is way too little personal responsibility taken in this world.

Because of the far the Far Right in the US have used the words "personal responsibility," I'm very wary of agreeing with statements like yours anymore until I know exactly what the speaker means by "personal responsibility."  This is a sad commentary on the world in and of itself. Sad

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 16, 2008, 06:38:57 pm »

Because of the far the Far Right in the US have used the words "personal responsibility," I'm very wary of agreeing with statements like yours anymore until I know exactly what the speaker means by "personal responsibility."  This is a sad commentary on the world in and of itself. Sad

I know nothing of the far right OR their use of the term "personal responsibility". I despise politics. LOL I assure you I'm not "one of them".

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 16, 2008, 10:46:27 pm »

I know nothing of the far right OR their use of the term "personal responsibility". I despise politics. LOL I assure you I'm not "one of them".

I didn't say that you were, just that because of their weird usages of the term I have to know what a person thinks "personal responsibility" entails before I can say much. The term has lost the "common meaning" it once had.

Randall
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 17, 2008, 03:54:59 am »

I didn't say that you were, just that because of their weird usages of the term I have to know what a person thinks "personal responsibility" entails before I can say much. The term has lost the "common meaning" it once had.

It seems to be a reflection of society in general, where a lot of people are looking for someone else to blame their woes on. Increased litigation is blurring the lines between who is truly at fault and who is just trying to pass the buck.

I don't see it as purely being paganism either. You see it in politics, you see it in business. And a lot of the root cause of the problem as I see it, is that not enough people are standing up and saying, "Enough!" I have stepped in and told off a neighbours kids while living in a flat because they treated my front porch as their play area at 8am on a Sunday morning. I also told their mother when I dragged them back home and got her out of bed to inform her what they were up to.

I'm sick of hearing that teachers are to blame because kids misbehave or aren't learning as much as they should. Where are these parents supervising their kids doing their homework? They'd pick up problems a lot sooner if they helped out there. As for manners, if they aren't enforced at home, how can parents expect them to be enforced at school?

</end rant>

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Athystle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 06:05:23 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 17, 2008, 08:38:01 am »

It seems to be a reflection of society in general, where a lot of people are looking for someone else to blame their woes on. Increased litigation is blurring the lines between who is truly at fault and who is just trying to pass the buck.

I don't see it as purely being paganism either. You see it in politics, you see it in business. And a lot of the root cause of the problem as I see it, is that not enough people are standing up and saying, "Enough!" I have stepped in and told off a neighbours kids while living in a flat because they treated my front porch as their play area at 8am on a Sunday morning. I also told their mother when I dragged them back home and got her out of bed to inform her what they were up to.

I'm sick of hearing that teachers are to blame because kids misbehave or aren't learning as much as they should. Where are these parents supervising their kids doing their homework? They'd pick up problems a lot sooner if they helped out there. As for manners, if they aren't enforced at home, how can parents expect them to be enforced at school?

</end rant>
I completely agree. Many parents today seem to be trying to shift the responsibility of raising their children onto the teachers. This is not what hte teachers are for and imo is taking away time from the teachers true purpose which is to teach the subjects we need to know to function well in society. Not to teach them right from wrong and manners. Not to instill honesty and responsibility, that needs to be taught at home. It is easy for parents to blame the teachers and not themselves for lacking basic parenting skills. I find it very maddening. It seems to me kids who go to school for a want to learn and succeed are becoming rare and the schools are being used as a babysitter. I know there are parents who still supervise homework but really feel there are no where near the amount of them there were 25 yr ago.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 17, 2008, 10:47:05 am »

I could take a guess at what the far right could come up with, but that might be too far off topic.

I think that personal responbility is for your own self, and your own actions.  It is two part. 
1.  Acknowledging that one's action 'A' caused consequence 'B'.  "I did a love spell, now I'm stuck with someone I don't really like, and it's only my fault."
2.  Making the responsible choice not to perform an action you know might have negative consequences in the first place.  "I'm not going to drive home from the bar, because even though I only had one drink, I still could hurt someone."

Basically, what Elspeth said.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 17, 2008, 02:09:14 pm »

Sorry I should have responded with something more "worthwhile" last night. Wasn't feeling well. So here's my "real" response:

Personal responsibility, to me, means a lot of things. But the short version is that it means taking responsibility for your actions, AND their consequences, and not taking any action without some sort of understanding of the consequences and willingness to accept not only those consequences but any unforeseen ones as well.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 17, 2008, 05:32:09 pm »

2.  Making the responsible choice not to perform an action you know might have negative consequences in the first place.  "I'm not going to drive home from the bar, because even though I only had one drink, I still could hurt someone."

ALL actions are likely to have some negative consequences -- even breathing. Certain actions, like driving after drinking are more likely to have severe negative consequences, of course.

Note that I'm not arguing that people should not take responsibility for their actions and decisions, just that it is very easy to push this from common sense into a "cult of personal responsibility" that fails people who are basically victims of circumstance/genetics/etc.

Randall
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 17, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »

Note that I'm not arguing that people should not take responsibility for their actions and decisions, just that it is very easy to push this from common sense into a "cult of personal responsibility" that fails people who are basically victims of circumstance/genetics/etc.

Exactly. It takes judging what is likely to happen, what could happen, whether or not you're willing to accept the risk, and, after going through with it, accepting the consequences.

Also, not every negative consequence is necessarily bad. Sometimes you come to a "lesser of two evils" situation...or a situation where you know there will be a negative consequence for you, but you feel that the action still needs to be taken and you are willing to accept the consequence.

ETA: I should have said "not every action with a negative consequence is necessarily bad". Because the very definition of a negative consequence is that it is bad. Duh. I should read over BEFORE I hit post.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 17, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »

Exactly. It takes judging what is likely to happen, what could happen, whether or not you're willing to accept the risk, and, after going through with it, accepting the consequences.

That's better put!  What I meant to say.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 18, 2008, 01:48:47 am »

<snip> it is very easy to push this from common sense into a "cult of personal responsibility" <snip>

In case you hadn't noticed, common sense is a species at critical risk of extinction these days (or so it seems IMNSHO). Grin

If you order a hot coffee, spill it, and then sue the company because you burnt yourself on something that would be equally as hot if you made it at home, then you *should* lose (should). I hate the fact that our society is intent on wrapping us in cotton-wool for our 'own good'. I am perfectly capable of working out that a coffee is hot without a sign thank you, no I don't need a warning on a knife block that those knives might be sharp thanks, why of course taking sleeping tablets and then working with heavy machinery is a silly thing to do!

Urgh. Common sense is the least common thing on the planet.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 18, 2008, 08:26:01 am »

In case you hadn't noticed, common sense is a species at critical risk of extinction these days (or so it seems IMNSHO). Grin

If you order a hot coffee, spill it, and then sue the company because you burnt yourself on something that would be equally as hot if you made it at home, then you *should* lose (should). I hate the fact that our society is intent on wrapping us in cotton-wool for our 'own good'. I am perfectly capable of working out that a coffee is hot without a sign thank you, no I don't need a warning on a knife block that those knives might be sharp thanks, why of course taking sleeping tablets and then working with heavy machinery is a silly thing to do!

Urgh. Common sense is the least common thing on the planet.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

the McDonalds coffee thing.  MCdonalds was in the wrong.  THey kept thir coffee well above industry average and so on.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 18, 2008, 08:48:51 am »

If you order a hot coffee, spill it, and then sue the company because you burnt yourself on something that would be equally as hot if you made it at home, then you *should* lose (should).

This is an example of how the good idea of taking personal responsibility can be turned into a "Cult of Personal Responsibility."  From the evidence that came out at the trail in this case, McDonalds was keeping its coffee at much higher temperatures that the industry standard (and much higher temperatures than any normal person not privy to McDonald's operating procedures would expect). They were doing so because higher temperatures made the coffee last longer which increased there profit and they continued to do so in spite of a number of burns their over-heated coffee had caused in the past.  In other words they choose profit over safety and the "huge judgement" was only one's day's estimated income from selling the coffee.

This is an example of how the "cult of personal responsibility people" seem to think only the little people need to accept personal responsibility for their actions while the decisions and actions of important people. wealthy people, and businesses are mysteriously immune to have to bear responsibility for their actions.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)