The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 05:28:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 05:28:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic Protection  (Read 22677 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 16, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Web Site Article Discussion ThreadThis thread is for discussion of a specific article on our web site. Please limit discussion to questions and comments specific to this article. Feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate board if what you wish to discuss is not specific to the named article. Note that if you have arrived here from the discussion link on this article on our web site and are not a member of this message board, you will need to register an account to post in this thread. Thank you.

Psychic Protection

Psychic protection and mental shielding are subjects that very few New Age teachers are willing to discuss with newcomers to paganism. It is felt by most "White Witches" that there is no need to protect yourself from negative vibrations and/or psychic attack. It is felt that unless one works with negative energies they usually won't interfere with you. It is also postulated by many that most if not all psychic attack is caused by your imagination and is not a valid phenomena.

All the above may be true, I've only been in the Craft for approximately 10 years and am only now realizing how much there is that I need to learn, I believe that true psychic attack is indeed a very rare phenomena as the law of attraction and Karma deters most followers of the old ways. However there is always that idiot who feels he knows more than anyone else and goes for the attack for invalid reasons. Also I feel that negative thought forms directed at you may also make your life more difficult. Barring all of that the energy you put into psychically protecting yourself is minimal, it won't do any harm and who knows it may protect you from unseen influences that seek to do you harm.

Read the Full Article

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 16, 2008, 03:11:03 pm »

Psychic Protection

Thank you! I needed this.

*Síocháin*
Sara Beth
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2008, 05:37:04 pm

Religion: kitchen witchery / studying wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 18, 2008, 10:41:31 pm »

It is felt by most "White Witches" that there is no need to protect yourself from negative vibrations and/or psychic attack. It is felt that unless one works with negative energies they usually won't interfere with you. It is also postulated by many that most if not all psychic attack is caused by your imagination and is not a valid phenomena.

Whether or not one works with "white magic" only in this life, I believe that psychic protection is a /must/.  Perhaps it is not a topic for beginning students, but it certainly is important.  In my experience, energy can be overwhelming even when not meant as an attack.

Which brings me to...

I believe that true psychic attack is indeed a very rare phenomena.

I do too.  Like you said, Koren, most are deterred by some form of karmic retribution.  But other things can be shielded by psychic protection.  The best example I can think of is toxic people that you must relate to; perhaps they are coworkers, extended family, or classmates.  I think that by knowing how to keep negative energies, even unintended, from poisoning you is really important.

I really enjoyed your article -- some of those techniques I tried and others I look forward to trying in the future.

Blessings,
Sara Beth
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 18, 2008, 10:47:37 pm »

Psychic Protection[/b]

Psychic protection and mental shielding are subjects that very few New Age teachers are willing to discuss with newcomers to paganism.

Huh
I learned all about it as a newbie, from my way New Agey teachers. Good thing too. I don't know if it is "rare" but it can certainly happen, I had a lot of trouble with it last year, and I am glad I learned what I needed for basic psychic hygiene and protection. I would recommend Christopher Penczak's "The Witch's Shield" and good old Dion Fortune's "Psychic Self Defense", for starters.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 19, 2008, 09:02:29 am »

[All the above may be true, I've only been in the Craft for approximately 10 years and am only now realizing how much there is that I need to learn, I believe that true psychic attack is indeed a very rare phenomena as the law of attraction and Karma deters most followers of the old ways. However there is always that idiot who feels he knows more than anyone else and goes for the attack for invalid reasons. Also I feel that negative thought forms directed at you may also make your life more difficult. Barring all of that the energy you put into psychically protecting yourself is minimal, it won't do any harm and who knows it may protect you from unseen influences that seek to do you harm.

Good article.  I will add however, that psychic shielding is good for empaths in general, and for those who have to be around negative personalities, so therefore I concur that shielding can help protect you from negative thought forms.

Empaths especially can find it helpful to use shielding to keep people's thoughts from affecting them.  Empaths can often feel others' anger, etc.  even if the anger isnt directed towards them.

Actually, shielding is one of the first things I teach a newcomer.  But that is me :/  Probably because I am an empath who has to spend much of her time shielded or I feel the impact of others.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 21, 2008, 09:55:20 am »

Interesting, but I think this method is much over my head. I've experimented a bit without a detailed method description and just came up with imagining a sphere which has a specific color and also makes a sound. But I don't draw the energy down, I draw it upwards from earth.

Not sure if my method is good, it doesn't work always and consumes a lot of concentration. I wonder if that's just because I need more practice or because the method is wrong? There are different methods to do this? Are there any for newbies?  Huh

Also why does the light have to be white?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 21, 2008, 10:36:24 am »

Not sure if my method is good, it doesn't work always and consumes a lot of concetration. I wonder if that's just because I need more practice or because the method is wrong? There are different methods to do this? Are there any for newbies?  Huh

Practice helps. Practice generally helps most things Smiley

Are you normally a visual learning/perceiver? I'm not, and in fact visual stuff has always been hardest for me. I do much better with a shielding based on either sound (sort of like a sound filter, or in one method, linked to a chant), or with the feeling of a soft, warm, protecting blanket around me.

I adjust these when needed, when I'm actually wanting serious protection qualities - but that's really rarely.

Good shielding, though, should mostly be self-sustaining, and should not require a lot of effort to maintain on a daily basis (because if it does, you're not going to have energy for other things.) It does take some practice learn how to do that: one of the things I found helped when I was learning was to find time to reinforce my intention and the trickle of power that goes into them.

I'd do it maybe 5-7 times the first day, down to 3 times a day at the end of the first week, then taper down, and now I mostly only think about them when I'm either consciously raising or lowering them (like for ritual work) or when I'm doing other kinds of self-care/checking.

It's a traditional association with purity, protection, and safety.

Golden light is an alternative. And some people vary the color of their aura/shielding to project certain emotional resonances - blue for calm, for example, or red for passion and intention. (Thorn Coyle talks about this in Evolutionary Witchcraft, among other places I've seen it.) But that's a little more complex (and it's a little easier to forget which way you've set things.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 21, 2008, 11:17:40 am »

Practice helps. Practice generally helps most things Smiley

Are you normally a visual learning/perceiver? I'm not, and in fact visual stuff has always been hardest for me. I do much better with a shielding based on either sound (sort of like a sound filter, or in one method, linked to a chant), or with the feeling of a soft, warm, protecting blanket around me.

I adjust these when needed, when I'm actually wanting serious protection qualities - but that's really rarely.

Good shielding, though, should mostly be self-sustaining, and should not require a lot of effort to maintain on a daily basis (because if it does, you're not going to have energy for other things.) It does take some practice learn how to do that: one of the things I found helped when I was learning was to find time to reinforce my intention and the trickle of power that goes into them.

I'd do it maybe 5-7 times the first day, down to 3 times a day at the end of the first week, then taper down, and now I mostly only think about them when I'm either consciously raising or lowering them (like for ritual work) or when I'm doing other kinds of self-care/checking.

It's a traditional association with purity, protection, and safety.

Golden light is an alternative. And some people vary the color of their aura/shielding to project certain emotional resonances - blue for calm, for example, or red for passion and intention. (Thorn Coyle talks about this in Evolutionary Witchcraft, among other places I've seen it.) But that's a little more complex (and it's a little easier to forget which way you've set things.)

I don't know if it's good, but mine is sort of a glowing amber color, not really golden, but more towards the golden amber variety, maybe it changes after a time?

I often work with visualisation as a starting point and when I've practiced an exercise for a length of time I just kind of feel the energy flows and do it without visualisation.

But whenever my concentration is bad or I just have a bad day, nothing works without visualisation. Sometimes I've overexerted myself with so much headwork for uni, that nothing but a forest walk would help me get a head clear enough for anything. The biggest problem for me is to get something working next to the allday stress and over-headedness. If I'm in that state of mind I can force myself to a visualisation, but I won't feel much effect.

I don't have the impression that a complex visualisation would do me much good, because it would draw a lot of energy from a field that is already badly exploited. I'm wondering if it would better for me to work on the sound part, but that's something I've just newly discovered.

Or maybe I've just to become more acquainted with it and it would need less concentration. Sometimes there's also a Chi Gong exercise that I feel adds slightly to shielding, but I'm not sure about it, because when I asked my teacher he said it wasn't supposed to do this, but maybe I react just differently.  Huh

Has anyone ever used a shield against wind? I try that since years as I'm living on the coast and have a chronical cough and just general throat/sinus problems that get worse with the awful wind here. I've done a lot of Crane Chi Gong and try to use the energy against the wind, but my teacher says the Crane wouldn't shield, but use the wind. That's really hard for me because I see it so much as my enemy. And whenever I try to imagine I have feathers and the wind would carry me outdoors I just get a full blow of wind. It does work a bit indoors with imaginated wind, though. But maybe shielding wind is just a stupid idea (like drinking out an ocean)?  Undecided

But thanks for the exercise schedule. I'll try it (no promise I'll manage it like that though). Smiley I feel already better with the tiny bit of shielding I've accomplished so far. My social issues are quite vanishing because I'm no longer constantly annoyed at persons who spread their bad moods even without saying one word. Not sure if the wind shielding is a realistic project though.  Roll Eyes

Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 21, 2008, 01:24:08 pm »

But thanks for the exercise schedule. I'll try it (no promise I'll manage it like that though). Smiley I feel already better with the tiny bit of shielding I've accomplished so far. My social issues are quite vanishing because I'm no longer constantly annoyed at persons who spread their bad moods even without saying one word. Not sure if the wind shielding is a realistic project though.  Roll Eyes

I just realised I should probably clarify. When I say 5-7 times a day, I don't mean "Work through whole complex visualisation process" I mean something more like this:

1) Take a few deep breaths, and settle yourself. (What I'd refer to as grounding and centering, if that helps).
2) Remember what my shield feels like.
3) Remind my shield what I want it to do. The easiest way is to say it out loud quietly to yourself: verbalising helps refine the intention. If you can't say it out loud, thinking clear sentences in your head works too.
4) All done. Take another breath or two, and go on with the day.

All very quick and easy. Can be done in a bathroom stall if you're at work/school. The point of the exercise is partly to help refine your intention and goals - and partly to help bring your attention back to the shield every so often.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:25:54 pm by Jenett » Logged

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 21, 2008, 02:20:09 pm »

I would recommend Christopher Penczak's "The Witch's Shield" and good old Dion Fortune's "Psychic Self Defense", for starters.

Is one of these books better than the other?  And does anyone have additional recommendations for books on this subject?

Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 21, 2008, 03:39:16 pm »

I just realised I should probably clarify.
Thanks, I guessed though that you didn't mean a 15 minute exercise with complex visualisation. I was sometimes reassuring myself that it is still there when I had a quiet moment (or discovering that it wasn't there any more...). And I'm not sure I can manage the complex visualisation descripted in this article yet, especially the revolving in different directions, 0but I feel starting with a simple sphere may be good for the beginning.

But this idea I wouldn't have got alone:
3) Remind my shield what I want it to do. The easiest way is to say it out loud quietly to yourself: verbalising helps refine the intention. If you can't say it out loud, thinking clear sentences in your head works too.
So you say something like 'bad feelings from others won't penetrate this shield'?

Um, and where do you draw the energy from exactly? I often imagine a connection to earth, so maybe I just draw it from there, but in the article they say it's drawn down from above. In what way does that influence your shield?

And is there a specific body posture that works best for this?

Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 21, 2008, 06:08:26 pm »

Is one of these books better than the other?  And does anyone have additional recommendations for books on this subject?

Also on my bookshelf are Judy Hall's _The Art of Psychic Protection_ and William Bloom's _Psychic Protection_

Most, the differences I've seen are a matter of taste and preference: Fortune's book tends more towards the esoteric working group side, rather than a Pagan perspective (and it's very much in the writing style of her times: lots of stories and examples, but not so much direct guidance and working through things.)

Both the two I mention above do a good job of providing multiple exercises, and of suggesting things for people who prefer other modes of perception/learning than the visual.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: February 21, 2008, 06:13:13 pm »

It doesn't. White light is just standard because of its associations for most people and most magical systems. I had a friend once who liked the night and darkness a lot. He pictured his shields as a black astral wall around him. They worked fine.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: February 21, 2008, 06:13:27 pm »

Also on my bookshelf are Judy Hall's _The Art of Psychic Protection_ and William Bloom's _Psychic Protection_

Thanks, Jenett.  I was wondering about the Judy Hall book.  I have a couple of her other books and like them.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 21, 2008, 06:21:22 pm »

But this idea I wouldn't have got alone:So you say something like 'bad feelings from others won't penetrate this shield'?

Yep. I might say something like: "My shields will keep out distracting thoughts and emotions." or "My shields will filter the world around me so that I can focus and have a great day" or whatever.

I prefer to use positive phrasings (like the two I just gave) rather than say "won't" or "not" or whatever because of some theories about how our unconscious minds process negatives. It's usually fairly easy to find an alternative - compare  "My shields will keep me safe and free from distraction" to "My shields won't let bad things through."

Um, and where do you draw the energy from exactly? I often imagine a connection to earth, so maybe I just draw it from there, but in the article they say it's drawn down from above. In what way does that influence your shield?

This is what I'd call grounding and centering: that'd be a whole different topic. The short answer is "Yes, there are multiple possible sources" and "Yes, it can affect the 'flavor' of your shield. So can other energetic work - I do a lot of work with Water, and most people tend to respond to my shields that way: I'm somewhere below the surface, not easily visible. Being underestimated is a handy talent sometimes.

And is there a specific body posture that works best for this?

Many people find that sitting in a good meditation position or standing balanced works well. You don't have to, though, and you may find that other positions work better. (Anyone who watches me in ritual might notice that I very rarely stand equally balanced on both feet: I've often got more weight on one or the other, or one's in front of the other, or something like that.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)