The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 19, 2021, 12:01:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2021, 12:01:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic Protection  (Read 23544 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 21, 2008, 06:22:33 pm »

Thanks, Jenett.  I was wondering about the Judy Hall book.  I have a couple of her other books and like them.

It's been quite a while since I read it, but I seem to remember liking it a good bit, and finding useful things in it. (Will have to reread it, though, as it really has been a few years.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 21, 2008, 07:23:24 pm »

Is one of these books better than the other?  And does anyone have additional recommendations for books on this subject?

Thanks.

Penczak is a great 101 guy, easy and clear and accurate. Not fluffy and not too complex either. I agree with J ennett's assessment of Fortune, but she is just a lot of fun to read and I enjoy the historical perspective.  I also think that if you are a ceremonial magic type of person, this is more useful. Her novels are a blast, if you are an early 20th century brit lit. kind of person.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 22, 2008, 03:43:58 am »

It doesn't. White light is just standard because of its associations for most people and most magical systems. I had a friend once who liked the night and darkness a lot. He pictured his shields as a black astral wall around him. They worked fine.
Interesting. I'll experiment around with different colors.

Is that where the term 'white lighters' comes from? People who use white color for everything?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: February 22, 2008, 08:36:09 am »

Is that where the term 'white lighters' comes from? People who use white color for everything?

People who see the white light as the solution to just about all problems. They also tend to believe that universe is a friendly place full of white light and have a very fluffy world view in general.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 22, 2008, 09:21:54 am »

Ever the black sheep...

I RARELY shield.  Very rarely.  Only when there are people in range who are distinctly toxic; and even then it's just enough to keep from going nuts.  If I've identified someone as a predator, or potentially dangerous, I want all signals that will be information as to what they're up to.  Focusing on keeping someone out could be the difference between catching and missing the information that becomes vital later.

Rather than in white light loveyness when it comes to astral nasties; since I've yet to meet or hear of a person who has died from an astral attack, or trance journey attack; and most of the time those who mentally unhinge themselves through this sort of thing do so through the fears that they attach to the experience rather than any real harm done by an entity (outside of CM's - and even in those cases there aren't too many documented cases of damages that aren't related directly to the preexisting beliefs of the practitioner.)

I do know someone who became unhinged by doing a meditation in which they deliberately deprived their senses for an extended period of time, turning them inwards, to seek their fears with the intent of conquering them and becoming 'fearless'  The problem wasn't an attack, it was an amateur attempt made without the required support person to talk you back out after the confrontation.   

I think the human tendency to judge everything we experience based upon previous experience and act without always confirming what it is we're dealing with leads to more experiences of attack than any true outside entity that finds us so incredibly special that it would seek us out with the intention of doing harm.

If you can bring one facet of your consciousness to another place, then what's to say you aren't bringing other facets of your active subconscious along, and they are manifesting at the same time.  You may be meeting yourself, through a glass darkly.

Lack of intent is another key in my opinion to those who have negative experiences.  "uhhh I thought I'd meditate and go deep into my subconscious on a treasure hunt.  I got my metal detector out, started digging where it beeped and I found dead bodies and demons.  I'll never do that meditation again"

Then again, when you walk into a bar; do you just accept the drink from a random person who you have no intention of interacting with?  Do you pick up the phone and randomly dial a number and give someone directions to your house?  Without intent, meditation and Ouija Boards have much in common.  There is not much out there that is going to waste energy on you unless you poke poke them first.

Regarding reflexive defense response...

If something DOES waste energy on you - and the most common observation is "I saw X, it scared me; I responded with Y" leaves me saying alright, what would have happened had you not let your fear own you, and just done nothing?

Step back, take a deep breath and watch.

If something is not confined by physicality, and wants to sneak up on you and get you...  It's gonna.  It would probably have happened by now.  I find myself asking, why would I be so significant as to warrant an entity not myself to obstruct me?

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 22, 2008, 12:08:27 pm »

If something DOES waste energy on you - and the most common observation is "I saw X, it scared me; I responded with Y" leaves me saying alright, what would have happened had you not let your fear own you, and just done nothing?

Step back, take a deep breath and watch.

If something is not confined by physicality, and wants to sneak up on you and get you...  It's gonna.  It would probably have happened by now.  I find myself asking, why would I be so significant as to warrant an entity not myself to obstruct me?

I think that depends on the energy you are putting out to the universe. I was living in a an intensely drama-filled world at the time that I was under psychic attack. I was only being messed with b/c I put myself in a position to let that happen. I didn't invite it, I don't think anyone ever invites abuse, but I didn't help myself either with my big freakout attituded. I got a lot of help with it, and it continued to happen (much to the annoyance and frustration of the people who were helping me) b/c I continued to set up the circumstances, mindset and unconsciously I was putting out the intent. "OH YEAH?! BRING IT ON, HONEY!" is not the best way to respond in any fight, certainly not with astral meanies. When I was able to let go of my ego response to what was happening, things got better.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 22, 2008, 12:09:59 pm »

People who see the white light as the solution to just about all problems. They also tend to believe that universe is a friendly place full of white light and have a very fluffy world view in general.

Also they can get defensive and even hostile if they are challenged on this view.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 22, 2008, 12:16:27 pm »

I think that depends on the energy you are putting out to the universe. I was living in a an intensely drama-filled world at the time that I was under psychic attack. I was only being messed with b/c I put myself in a position to let that happen. I didn't invite it, I don't think anyone ever invites abuse, but I didn't help myself either with my big freakout attituded. I got a lot of help with it, and it continued to happen (much to the annoyance and frustration of the people who were helping me) b/c I continued to set up the circumstances, mindset and unconsciously I was putting out the intent. "OH YEAH?! BRING IT ON, HONEY!" is not the best way to respond in any fight, certainly not with astral meanies. When I was able to let go of my ego response to what was happening, things got better.

Randomly running with a thought.

I wonder how many people actually do enter this kind of interaction with the perception of themselves as Don Quijote, fully outfitted astride their farmhorses tilting at windmills.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 22, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »

I wonder how many people actually do enter this kind of interaction with the perception of themselves as Don Quijote, fully outfitted astride their farmhorses tilting at windmills.

well, it don't work, I'll tell you that.

What eventually made it go away was my understanding that I was totally in control at all times. That in fact if I didn't give it energy it didn't have any. Duh.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Sara Beth
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2008, 05:37:04 pm

Religion: kitchen witchery / studying wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 22, 2008, 03:38:01 pm »

I RARELY shield.  Very rarely.  Only when there are people in range who are distinctly toxic; and even then it's just enough to keep from going nuts. 

My experience with psychic protection has been this: If you constantly keep a shield up, you can keep the toxic energies that may be around at bay.  You also drain your own energy which is just as toxic as what you're trying to protect yourself from.  But if you use energy shielding (white light or whatever) as one of many tools (along with herbs, stones, and the sheer common sense to avoid those bad situations) it can be effective in the package.  I think alone shielding is much less powerful.

If I've identified someone as a predator, or potentially dangerous, I want all signals that will be information as to what they're up to.  Focusing on keeping someone out could be the difference between catching and missing the information that becomes vital later.

This is a really interesting viewpoint that I hadn't considered.  Like I said earlier, the best situation I can think of where I use shielding is not the psychic attack, perse, but the person with "bad vibes" or what have you.  Usually I know what they're up to and usually I try not to care and/or engage with them.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 22, 2008, 04:25:33 pm »

Psychic Protection

I have experienced one actual magical attack since I came to witchcraft in the 70s. It was about a year ago when I fired an employee for stealing money from us, being drunk in the booth, bartering with stuff that did not belong to her and bragging about using manipulative magic to make sales. After we showed her the door I noticed a day or so later I was feeling drained and tired. This went on for a day or so when it came to me this little witch was out for revenge. It struck me as funny. I did not don a helmet and square off for a Witches Duel, I had a five second image of holding a mirror towards her and simply saying : you have no power over me. That was it. End of tiredness and draining feeling, which was probably the drain coming from the house shield. 

I read Dion Fortune's book on the subject and while I enjoy her books for the most part, I felt every example she noted could easily have been found in a pamphlet at an abused women's center. She was writing in the '30s & '40s where so much abuse was never discussed and was very valuable then. But she was running into very manipulative people showing all the classic techniques of a control freak abuser, really having little to do with magic and a lot to do with damaged people. I do use shields in the manner most people have posted here, but I feel actual psychic attack rare. I do not worry over it much.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 23, 2008, 03:57:01 am »

I read Dion Fortune's book on the subject and while I enjoy her books for the most part, I felt every example she noted could easily have been found in a pamphlet at an abused women's center. She was writing in the '30s & '40s where so much abuse was never discussed and was very valuable then. But she was running into very manipulative people showing all the classic techniques of a control freak abuser, really having little to do with magic and a lot to do with damaged people. I do use shields in the manner most people have posted here, but I feel actual psychic attack rare. I do not worry over it much.
I've had a lot of bad experience with what you might call 'controll freak abusers' and just sick bullying people. When I'm alone in a room with such a person, it's like he/she is owning the room and wouldn't respect any place I occupied. Shielding just helps me to define a space for me and it also seems to influence my behaviour and therefore the behaviour of the bully/controll freak.

Another problem are people who whine all the time about their problems and expect you to carry their backpacks for them, because it's not their fault that they can't carry it.

You can't always avoid meeting that sort of people at work, at uni, at your dorm or where ever, but I find it helps a lot if you define a space for yourself they can't intrude. Of course you don't need magick for that, but if that works for you...

Just what I think about it.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 23, 2008, 09:07:30 am »

Rather than in white light loveyness when it comes to astral nasties; since I've yet to meet or hear of a person who has died from an astral attack, or trance journey attack; and most of the time those who mentally unhinge themselves through this sort of thing do so through the fears that they attach to the experience rather than any real harm done by an entity (outside of CM's - and even in those cases there aren't too many documented cases of damages that aren't related directly to the preexisting beliefs of the practitioner.)

I actually know people who get sick from hanging around my mother.  (she is one of those psi vamps who doesnt realize what she is, and so drains people way too much)  Basically, anybody that hangs around her unshielded gets drained these days.  She has always had a tendency that way, but she used to get out more, and wasnt as homebound so her field of victims was much wider.  Plus she wasnt as sick.   Now she has fewer victims and a lot more need of energy. 

Anybody that hangs around her that doesnt know how to shield, and has to spend an inordinate amount of time around her, and also has health issues really gets a whammy.    They can be stable for years with x health issue, then WHAM!!!!  Spend  several hours a week around her on a regular basis, and they suddenly start having health issues, requiring surgeries, etc.  Even those who are generally healthy, run like mad after awhile.  You can feel tendrils coming after you, if you lower the shields.  (if you are sensitive to that sort of thing) Now mind you, she just really needs energy badly, and I truly believe she has no idea she does this.  I actually shield any relatives going in to see her on a regular basis so they wont get impacted.  I dont have the time/energy to shield everyone that enters her house, unfortunately.

My daughter can be fine until she enters my mother's house, and WHAM!! instant stomach ache.  (she is like me, and is sensitive in the gut to negative energies)  I shield her frequently for this reason.

Of course, my mother isnt an astral nasty.  She is a real live human being.

When I can get up the energy, I will feed her so she will leave people alone. There is a reason why I do most of her care.  Nobody can stand to be around her any length of time, frankly.  The funny thing?  Before I had heard the term psi vamp, I described my mother as an energy vampire.  Because the instant you walked in her house, you felt drained.  It was like going from a sunny day, to a stormy evening, as far as energy went.  She went through aides like water through a sieve. 

She was really sick a lot when I was a kid, and I stayed sick a lot too.  I still wonder how much of my energy was being drained as a kid, until I figured out how to stop it.  I went around looking as pale as a sheet most of the time, and I wasnt anemic either.  It was after she started spending much of her time at home, and during a bad time for her health wise that that started happening.

She would be absolutely horrified if you told her of course.   

Now mind you, others that have been around her that never really think of terms like psi vamp etc. also describe her in much the same way.  She is just too blatantly obvious.   But then, subtletly has never been her strong suit.   Cheesy

Other than to protect myself from her, shielding in my case has been limited to protection against picking up negative emotions, etc. from those around me, at least in most cases.  I will lower my shielding, or at least do it temporarily, then raise it again, in situations where I need the extra information I can pick up out there.  I just keep shielding up all the time, pretty much, even if it is just a light shielding, because I can be so influenced by others' emotions around me without it, and I prefer not to ride an emotional rollercoaster, thanks very much.

A filter system is very helpful.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 23, 2008, 11:39:35 am »

You can't always avoid meeting that sort of people at work, at uni, at your dorm or where ever, but I find it helps a lot if you define a space for yourself they can't intrude.

Yes, I agree. I believe that this is the best use of and the reason to use shields, which I do.

I am happy to know that in today's world there is a lot of information available on various types of abuse, emotional being taken as seriously as physical. It is important because the people you describe are generally masters at subtlety dragging you in to their mindset where they can play out whatever sick games they need. Shielding can help you stay clear and identify each tactic as it comes along. Probably the most important is not caring what they think of you, that will leave them powerless. But people also need to educate themselves as to what these tactics are, usually just recognizing them as who there are is enough to disarm them.

When I ran into a very sick man at one temp job I worked, I was there a month and lead a walk out of all six employees. He hired only young girls (I was a temp till a girl came back from vacation) and proceeded to belittle, abuse, yell, make lewd remarks, get them alone in his office where he would demoralize and brainwash them, I mean it was classic. I came in and instead of the lunch room chatter being "oh why can I do nothing right?" I changed it to "The boss is a sick wacko".

Within two weeks of every time he tried something I was there saying "do not treat me/her with disrespect, that is crazy making logic, if no one can ever get this right, why don't we change the procedure (he set things up so no one could do it right so as to have 'grounds' to yell)" etc. Not surprising most of the kids there when I first came in said things like "Oh, the boss doesn't bother me , my dad was just like that", so they are there still trying to work out their leftover childhood baggage. I had no such baggage as could see very well what the guy was doing, made the kids aware of it and we left in mass one afternoon with a room full of clients in his waiting room (he was a vet). One young woman later sued him for emotional abuse/sexual harassment and won, he lost his business and I only wish he would have lost more.

I certainly did shield against this guy, but my most powerful tools were being aware of his games. I found that information through research, books and online abuse resources. Being shielded helped me to not get caught up in his manipulations, but I also took very practical steps and did not become a victim. There are very controlling wackos out there, I believe you need both magical and mundane efforts to not get involved.

My problem with Dion Fortune's book was I felt she advocated a spell to make the person lose power over you, without taking other active steps. I felt there was a tendency to portray the abuser as some sort of Master Magician instead of highly damaged goods and she went into depth on what magic to use to counter the attacks. I think directed, magical attacks are very rare, unfortunately people who feed of your energy in one way or another are not. I have found just being armed with knowledge and shielding very helpful. But of course, as I said, when she was writing there wasn't the information, laws and counseling available as there is today.
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 23, 2008, 02:18:27 pm »

I actually know people who get sick from hanging around my mother.  (she is one of those psi vamps who doesnt realize what she is, and so drains people way too much)  Basically, anybody that hangs around her unshielded gets drained these days.  She has always had a tendency that way, but she used to get out more, and wasnt as homebound so her field of victims was much wider.  Plus she wasnt as sick.   Now she has fewer victims and a lot more need of energy. 

Anybody that hangs around her that doesnt know how to shield, and has to spend an inordinate amount of time around her, and also has health issues really gets a whammy.    They can be stable for years with x health issue, then WHAM!!!!  Spend  several hours a week around her on a regular basis, and they suddenly start having health issues, requiring surgeries, etc.  Even those who are generally healthy, run like mad after awhile.  You can feel tendrils coming after you, if you lower the shields.  (if you are sensitive to that sort of thing) Now mind you, she just really needs energy badly, and I truly believe she has no idea she does this. 

I thought for a moment you were talking about my Mother-In-Law!  But no, I'm glad to know I'm not alone.  My husband's parents (who live next door) are both this way and for almost 18y I didn't know.  Unfortunately I am an empath and was an easy target.  My health was ruined - hopefully not permanently.  When I began learning about psychic attact and began to shield myself all hell broke loose.  Now after about 3y it is getting better, but I make sure to limit my contact.  They are nice people and don't know they do this(they would be horrified, too).  I feel sorry for them.

I have Dion's book and find it a tedious read.  I like Robert Bruce's book better (Practical Psychic Self-Defense) but it deals a little more with nasties that are not embodied.  I've had my share of those experiences as well.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)