The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 18, 2021, 10:48:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2021, 10:48:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic Protection  (Read 23542 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 23, 2008, 04:57:05 pm »

It is important because the people you describe are generally masters at subtlety dragging you in to their mindset where they can play out whatever sick games they need.
Exactly, and it's awful because you can't just talk openly about it with them. It's like fighting a mosquito in the dark! Unbelieveable that a person puts so much energy in humiliating others without leaving traces to bystanders instead of getting her/his own life done.

There's a woman in my dorm who belittles you if you show courtesy towards her like stepping aside a second if she wants to the fridge and you're standing before it. After 3 years of being belittled by this person, I have finally learned that she can be friendly like a civilized human if you are behaving like an arrogant ass and talk to her in a condescending tone, make a point to stand in her way till you're done with your stuff. It costs a lot of attention, because when I don't watch myself, I'm friendly and courteous (if you don't meet me with a headache).

I still can't believe it works the other way around with this person, that's just crazy and so simple! I've wasted years in trying to talk to this person, come to an understanding, find a compromise, asked other flatmates for advice... It's really sick and makes me sad if I think of it, that the normal equal-to-equal-adult problem solving methods don't always work.

When I ran into a very sick man at one temp job I worked, I was there a month and lead a walk out of all six employees. He hired only young girls (I was a temp till a girl came back from vacation) and proceeded to belittle, abuse, yell, make lewd remarks, get them alone in his office where he would demoralize and brainwash them, I mean it was classic. I came in and instead of the lunch room chatter being "oh why can I do nothing right?" I changed it to "The boss is a sick wacko".
*thumbs up* You're the hero of these girls.  Grin

I certainly did shield against this guy, but my most powerful tools were being aware of his games.
The shield is just helping me to endure standing next to that person. It's like if she had a poisonous cloud around her or something. When I wasn't shielding I couldn't stand being in her proximity, I'm feeling sort of an aggression building up next to me, so I always went away as quickly as possible and she thought she can push me around.

It's not the shielding alone that is helping me with people like this. The shielding just helps me to do what's necessary like standing up to them and keeps me healthy while I'm dealing with them.

The problem is just that I have to make that shield stay. It goes away so easily if I'm tired or overworked.

And you're right, it's very important to see behind the facades of these people. I thought all the time I was such an imperfect person who can't make anything right, because this woman was such a know-it-all and complained everytime about another thing I had done wrong in her opinion. She would accuse me of everything that went wrong in the dorm, while there were 6 other people who could have been the culprits - and she wouldn't believe me, if I said I didn't do it. She doesn't get along with her own life, cries before every exam she has, but corrects constantly the language of other people (like genitive instead of dativ...  Roll Eyes ). And no, she isn't the language teaching student of the dorm, I am, but I'm not in duty and people can use different grammar in private for heaven's sake!

Well, I could go on and on with stories like this. I better stop before I bore everyone.  Cheesy

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am
United States United States

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 24, 2008, 09:06:09 am »

[modbreak=Web Site Article Discussion Thread]
Psychic Protection

Psychic protection and mental shielding are subjects that very few New Age teachers are willing to discuss with newcomers to paganism. It is felt by most "White Witches" that there is no need to protect yourself from negative vibrations and/or psychic attack. It is felt that unless one works with negative energies they usually won't interfere with you. It is also postulated by many that most if not all psychic attack is caused by your imagination and is not a valid phenomena.

Let me begin by explaining that I work in a viper pit, a shark tank,something akin to the Amazon populated by pirhannas or like DC politics. Ok, I have set up the visual.

So far, I have managed to survive by a combination of shielding and quite a bit of proactive magick. Most of the time it staves it off, but it is so diffuse that one person cannot possibly keep it at bay. Yeah, the mosquito comparison is very accurate, except in my world I have a hundred mosquitos swarming about in the dark.

After all of this, I have come to some personal conclusions-

I think these kinds of negative people and their attack are specifically drawn to people and/or situations which threaten them in some way, maybe just by exposing them for what they are. I also think that this is inherent in nature. Using a garden as a metaphor, it is like having weeds that grow anywhere and crowd out the flowers for nutrients and space. Eventually they will overtake the garden if allowed.

I don't think anyone has to be working with dark energies to attract this. In fact, it is usually attracted to/by folks who are trying to do positive things. This threatens these destructive entitities. 

I think the psi vamps can't get their energy from doing positive and constructive things, they can only feed off of chaos and sadness so they have an inherent need to keep that dynamic going. I have a friend who is very Catholic and on Friday, he said there are some people who are about growth and nurturing and some that are about destruction. That about sums it up.

I think sometimes the only way you can fight them is to run like hell. I would love to get out, but for several years I have not been able to find an out. In addition, I have noticed that I might get a brief respite, only to be whacked again from a very unexpected direction. I cannot seem to get rid of "it" permanently. Like Passionfruit, if I am tired or let my guard down even for a minute, I seem to be vulnerable to attack.

If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE share.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:10:17 am by Vanni » Logged
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 24, 2008, 10:21:15 am »

I think sometimes the only way you can fight them is to run like hell. I would love to get out, but for several years I have not been able to find an out. In addition, I have noticed that I might get a brief respite, only to be whacked again from a very unexpected direction. I cannot seem to get rid of "it" permanently. Like Passionfruit, if I am tired or let my guard down even for a minute, I seem to be vulnerable to attack.

I had a job like this last year, but for me the only solution was to get out. I am currently dealing with the consequences of that, but so be it. It's much better than what I had gotten into working at The Death Star, and working with Darth Vader. I agree with your assessment though, I do think these kind of negative people in their energy-slurping, negative environments, need the negativity and drama to continue. But I found some things to help, a little bit, just so I could keep showing up til the end of the school year (yes...it was a school).

1) If you haven't already, ward your office space/cubicle. I did this with 4 smoky quartz crystals, salt and ghost mix. I charged the smoky quartz for protection at home on my altar, and then took them to work and put them in the corners of my office. My office was a closet that I shared with my immediate supervisor, so it took a little while to get the privacy necessary, but it was well worth doing. I sprinkled the salt and ghost mix (sage, salt, pepper, equal parts, mixed together). I set my intention  and announced it to the space. This really helped make my personal space safe.

2) have an office altar. If you have to keep it in a drawer, that's ok. But most people will not notice if you have pretty flowers and knick knacks on your desk or windowsill or whatever.

3) Carry protective stones  and charms with you at all times, especially in meetings. I mainly carried tiger eye (for courage) and amethyst (for peace and clairvoyance, so I could have more of a heads up when something nasty was going to go down) and a big quartz point, charged specifically to protect and purify at work.

hth

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 24, 2008, 10:26:59 am »

I cannot seem to get rid of "it" permanently. Like Passionfruit, if I am tired or let my guard down even for a minute, I seem to be vulnerable to attack.

I have the impression that you get less belittled and attacked by those scavengers every time you grow more experienced and more self-confident. So I think it goes better if you work on your attitude towards them. A pity you can't send them back to kindergarden to actually learn standard courtesy, but you can change yourself, give them less power over you, give them less attraction to attack you. Just remember that they nitpick on you because they are too much afraid of even looking at their own problems and dealing with them instead of blaiming others for their oh so difficult lifes.

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 24, 2008, 10:42:58 am »

Just remember that they nitpick on you because they are too much afraid of even looking at their own problems and dealing with them instead of blaiming others for their oh so difficult lives.

I really tried looking at it like this, in my own situation, and of course I knew it was true. But ultimately I did not find this helpful, in my day-to-day work life, and concentrated my energy on protecting myself in the space until I could get out.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 24, 2008, 10:52:50 am »

I really tried looking at it like this, in my own situation, and of course I knew it was true. But ultimately I did not find this helpful, in my day-to-day work life, and concentrated my energy on protecting myself in the space until I could get out.

I was trying to give everyone a 'chin up!'

The problem is that you have to understand the subtle games they are playing with you and torpedize those games in any possible way. Some people are easier cases than others and it's good if you know how much power you can really afford. Sometimes it's really better just to leave, but it's rewarding to stand up to them, because next time you won't be bullied or belittled as easily.

I'm no hero, btw, I've been in several black holes of desperation because of bullying.

Vanni
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 24, 2008, 11:10:49 am »

I think that understanding their motivations initially help those who are less self confident and tend to internalize the bullys' comments and nitpicking as truth. Once you get past that stage, you know what's up, it is now a matter of doing something proactive.

I have done some protection of the space which does help. I also know that there is no changing people like this and even if you win one battle, there are others to take their place. It seems like once a climate like that takes hold, it takes on an energy unto itself. The mundane problem in my place is weak leadership that is too cowardly to stand up to this behavior. It therefore is like the school classroom with a substitute teacher.

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 24, 2008, 11:42:19 am »

Oh I realize that! Not knocking you at all Smiley

The problem is that you have to understand the subtle games they are playing with you and torpedize those games in any possible way. Some people are easier cases than others and it's good if you know how much power you can really afford. Sometimes it's really better just to leave, but it's rewarding to stand up to them, because next time you won't be bullied or belittled as easily.

I'm no hero, btw, I've been in several black holes of desperation because of bullying.

In my situation, I had so many other wild things going on in my own life, tons of drama and mayhem in my personal life, plain old bad luck, etc. that I really didn't have the strength or presence of mind to deal with it any better than I did. I think my own life crap at that time is part of what drew me to the job itself. I was already going in a very negative direction. So the good thing about being in a work environment that was extremely negative was it mirrored for me where i was at internally. I didn't see that until I left though. I do wish I could have stood up for myself better in that situation. It's the first (and I hope last) time I every really felt that I failed, professionally.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #38: February 24, 2008, 11:44:04 am »

think that understanding their motivations initially help those who are less self confident and tend to internalize the bullys' comments and nitpicking as truth. Once you get past that stage, you know what's up, it is now a matter of doing something proactive.

it's the proactive part that I couldn't get to, in part b/c of the other stuff going on in my life. I was totally exhausted when I left that job. I'm still recovering.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Vanni
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: February 24, 2008, 01:45:36 pm »

it's the proactive part that I couldn't get to, in part b/c of the other stuff going on in my life. I was totally exhausted when I left that job. I'm still recovering.

I really understand. If I ever do get the opportunity to do something else, I think it will take a couple of years to get over this but I do think I have learned some very valuable, if cynical, lessons about others, myself, and life in general.

BTW- I really do not think you should think that you failed professionally. Sometimes there is just no way to emerge from these situations successfully. Best wishes for where you are now.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: February 24, 2008, 02:28:33 pm »

BTW- I really do not think you should think that you failed professionally.

My opinion would be that the people who seek out and stay in such an environment are the ones who fail.

Not, of course, meaning you, Vanni, more the people who have created and seek to maintain such a ruthless, horrible atmosphere.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #41: February 24, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »

There is a far cry between being bullied, and carrying yourself like a target.

A target goes out of their way to be perfectly polite and professional at all times.  They have a stick up their butt so long it can be mistaken for a tail and they knock over everything behind them if they turn too fast.  A target worries preemptively about how their every move is perceived by others around them.  A target is offended in advance even before someone doesn't agree with what they do or how they do it and writes complicated defenses in their mind in anticipation.  A target finds shrugging and saying gee, I'm sorry that bothered you, I'll try not to do that around you to be an offense to their dignity - which is perpetually offended anyways; so it's easy to place another boot on the dignified backside, since they seem to expect it anyways.

A target finds everyone else's actions to be rude, inappropriate, imperfect and just plain old boorish - but would never have the poor taste to point this out.  Instead they sit back and judge, while not investing themselves in any way, or worse behave in a slightly detached way that leaves others wondering if they really want to be here, if they are really on the same team or if they have any attachment to the needs of the group that they exist within.

This leaves others around the target unsure of their reasons for being here, since they don't really seem to be a member of the team, and actively highlight the worst about the team, and insist upon it changing to accommodate their perceptions before they can proceed with their own function.  Even if it has nothing to do with their function.

A target enters a room subconsciously apologizing for whatever accident they may commit that offends anyone who might be in the room.  By doing this, they put everyone else in the room on edge, because anyone who requires perfection in their own interactions also requires perfection in others interactions.  Which makes people hate being around targets.  Why should I feel like I have to be a perfect person to be in the room with you?  What's wrong with being a real person? 

Not because it exposes any of their own dirty laundry, but for picking up on the discomfort of another person whom they either have to sympathize with or put distance between themselves and this person for the sake of their own nerves.  A target brings out the worst in others rather than the best.

A target can't suck it up and follow a leader that they have personal issues with, but instead must make every interaction about those issues - which they wont bring up, but will respond to with bias anyways.

The justifications of a target are equally annoying and embarrassing.  They are jealous.  They do it because I've got good intentions.  They do it because I'm on my way to the top.  They do it because they are toxic people.  They do it because...

The target is a psy vamp in their own right that they instigate, cultivate and borrow the negativity of others.  They require that others 'understand/ accept them' in order to function productively in a group, and lack the self esteem and confidance in their individuality to either march to their own drummer joyfully, or turn down the volume and admit that they are afraid of what others think of their song.  Meanwhile they see others who lack that fear as being their personal oppressors, or just downright annoying, causing them to have to close their eyes.

A target requires those who are empowered to be empowered at the cost of others rather than empowered in their own right, to justify why they sing their song under their breath rather than for the benefit of the team.

When a target acts on the team, it is reactive rather than proactive and often with little consideration other than their own feeling on the situation.  The stressed out boss is an affront to them personally and must either change to accommodate them, or be removed 'for the team' that now has to take on what was making the boss so stressed in the first place without the buffer.

Instead of being about what they bring to the table, a target is about who keeps them from bringing their *A game* to the table.  A target takes no responsibility when person after seemingly random person becomes their obstacle.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #42: February 24, 2008, 11:35:12 pm »

There is a far cry between being bullied, and carrying yourself like a target.

A target goes out of their way to be perfectly polite and professional at all times.  They have a stick up their butt so long it can be mistaken for a tail and they knock over everything behind them if they turn too fast.  A target worries preemptively about how their every move is perceived by others around them.  A target is offended in advance even before someone doesn't agree with what they do or how they do it and writes complicated defenses in their mind in anticipation.  A target finds shrugging and saying gee, I'm sorry that bothered you, I'll try not to do that around you to be an offense to their dignity - which is perpetually offended anyways; so it's easy to place another boot on the dignified backside, since they seem to expect it anyways.

A target finds everyone else's actions to be rude, inappropriate, imperfect and just plain old boorish - but would never have the poor taste to point this out.  Instead they sit back and judge, while not investing themselves in any way, or worse behave in a slightly detached way that leaves others wondering if they really want to be here, if they are really on the same team or if they have any attachment to the needs of the group that they exist within.

This leaves others around the target unsure of their reasons for being here, since they don't really seem to be a member of the team, and actively highlight the worst about the team, and insist upon it changing to accommodate their perceptions before they can proceed with their own function.  Even if it has nothing to do with their function.

A target enters a room subconsciously apologizing for whatever accident they may commit that offends anyone who might be in the room.  By doing this, they put everyone else in the room on edge, because anyone who requires perfection in their own interactions also requires perfection in others interactions.  Which makes people hate being around targets.  Why should I feel like I have to be a perfect person to be in the room with you?  What's wrong with being a real person? 

Not because it exposes any of their own dirty laundry, but for picking up on the discomfort of another person whom they either have to sympathize with or put distance between themselves and this person for the sake of their own nerves.  A target brings out the worst in others rather than the best.

A target can't suck it up and follow a leader that they have personal issues with, but instead must make every interaction about those issues - which they wont bring up, but will respond to with bias anyways.

The justifications of a target are equally annoying and embarrassing.  They are jealous.  They do it because I've got good intentions.  They do it because I'm on my way to the top.  They do it because they are toxic people.  They do it because...

The target is a psy vamp in their own right that they instigate, cultivate and borrow the negativity of others.  They require that others 'understand/ accept them' in order to function productively in a group, and lack the self esteem and confidance in their individuality to either march to their own drummer joyfully, or turn down the volume and admit that they are afraid of what others think of their song.  Meanwhile they see others who lack that fear as being their personal oppressors, or just downright annoying, causing them to have to close their eyes.

A target requires those who are empowered to be empowered at the cost of others rather than empowered in their own right, to justify why they sing their song under their breath rather than for the benefit of the team.

When a target acts on the team, it is reactive rather than proactive and often with little consideration other than their own feeling on the situation.  The stressed out boss is an affront to them personally and must either change to accommodate them, or be removed 'for the team' that now has to take on what was making the boss so stressed in the first place without the buffer.

Instead of being about what they bring to the table, a target is about who keeps them from bringing their *A game* to the table.  A target takes no responsibility when person after seemingly random person becomes their obstacle.

This *perfectly describes my last supervisor. I kept my head down, stood clear of Darth Vader whenever possible, and got out of there as fast as I could, but she's still in there getting her ass kicked and having a fine old time.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Aliceanna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 17, 2010, 07:19:27 pm

Religion: Heathenry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 19, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »

Is one of these books better than the other?  And does anyone have additional recommendations for books on this subject?

Thanks.

Hi, Moon Ivy,
I just saw your post here and decided to reply because I just read a fantastic book on this subject. This will be my first post on cauldron forum but this discussion is what made me decide to register. The book that I was given, that I highly recommend is "Basic Psychic Hygiene" by Sophie Reicher. I've never read anything that lays out the whys and wherefores of psychic protection so clearly and unemotionally. I really found it very, very helpful.

best wishes,
Alice Anna
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: January 19, 2009, 11:51:08 pm »

I highly recommend is "Basic Psychic Hygiene" by Sophie Reicher.

Thanks for the recommendation.

And welcome to The Cauldron!  Smiley

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)