The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 01:29:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 01:29:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: *insert witty comment here*  (Read 2251 times)
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 18, 2008, 06:37:05 pm »

Hey every one (a nice catchy line to entice people to read on Tongue).

My name is Cameron, but I prefer to be called Cam or Camy.  I’m 19 soon to be 20 (eek I’m almost no longer a teenager!).

Religion wise I use the title pagan or witch.  I don’t really follow any religion really just my own ideas and beliefs influenced by different religions.

I’m on here to learn, and to chat to people in the pagan community (my only previous experiences of the latter were a couple of my friends who were aiming at getting the most persecuted follower of a religion award). 

I love love love reading, in case you can’t tell I like to read!  I like anything book wise but really enjoy the classics. Daniel Defoe’s Moll Flanders is my favourite book ever. I highly recommend it.

Currently trying to get through Dante’s Divine Comedy (the reason why liable law suits was invented!).  If any one has read all of it can you please tell me if Purgatory gets more interesting?

If any one likes Sci fi/horror then H.P Lovecraft is your man but only if you can stomach his racism (though not really that blatant)

Apart from reading I enjoy clubbing, as well as music (I like anything except hip hop, and gabba), anything from Marilyn Manson to Hillary Duff (I’m gay so therefore allowed to like cheesy pop ha ha).  I love yoga, best form of exercise for me apart from dancing like a monkey on a bed of hot coal.

Sorry for the rant I’m on a coffee high.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 18, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

and no, Purgatory gets no more interesting.  I quit trying. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: January 18, 2008, 08:36:28 pm »

Hey every one (a nice catchy line to entice people to read on Tongue).

Welcome to the Cauldron!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 18, 2008, 10:49:33 pm »

My name is Cameron, but I prefer to be called Cam or Camy.

Currently trying to get through Dante’s Divine Comedy (the reason why liable law suits was invented!).  If any one has read all of it can you please tell me if Purgatory gets more interesting?

IMHO, it does not get much more interesting and Paradiso is downright boring. Infero is as good as it gets.

If any one likes Sci fi/horror then H.P Lovecraft is your man but only if you can stomach his racism (though not really that blatant)

I've been a fan of HPL since I was a teen (I've 50 now). Sadly, most writers of his era were racists, even those who tried not to be still used terms and descriptions that scream "racist" today. As I enjoy fiction from that era, I try not to olet it bother me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 18, 2008, 11:45:49 pm »

Welcome to The Cauldron.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 19, 2008, 04:26:52 am »

I've been a fan of HPL since I was a teen (I've 50 now). Sadly, most writers of his era were racists, even those who tried not to be still used terms and descriptions that scream "racist" today. As I enjoy fiction from that era, I try not to olet it bother me.

Personally, I've found the racist elements in HP Lovecraft's work to be pretty minor at most.  (Others may disagree of course).  Since it's mostly white people getting involved in various horrible stories, you could easily argue that its white people in the stories that are dumb/ evil. Wink

I've found somewhat more racism in Robert Howard's Conan stories, but it isn't alway obvious.  The main reason I'm taking a break from reading the complete collection was that it was starting to feel formulaic.  (Each story featuring a civilised woman who finds Conan's noble-barbarian shtick incredibly arousing.  I'm Sure Mr Howard had nooooo issues whatsoever. Wink ).  Plus the repeated 'Because Conan was a barbarian, he Does Not Lie/ Is a Natural Commander/ Has Better Reflexes Than Everyone/ Is The Most Charismatic Man Ever/ Can Shoot Lasers From His Eyes.

Anyway, Im ranting quite a bit considering that I actually *like* the stories.  So I'll stop.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: January 19, 2008, 08:24:24 am »

Plus the repeated 'Because Conan was a barbarian, he Does Not Lie/ Is a Natural Commander/ Has Better Reflexes Than Everyone/ Is The Most Charismatic Man Ever/ Can Shoot Lasers From His Eyes.

The REH Conan stories were one of the ultimate fictional incarnations of the idea that less civilized people where somehow better than civilized people, the "noble savage" idea taken to an extreme.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 19, 2008, 09:55:13 am »

The REH Conan stories were one of the ultimate fictional incarnations of the idea that less civilized people where somehow better than civilized people, the "noble savage" idea taken to an extreme.

Yup.  It would have grated on me a lot more if it wasn't for the fact that Conan himself didn't seem to share his author's barbarian supremacist attitudes. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 19, 2008, 11:27:41 am »

Personally, I've found the racist elements in HP Lovecraft's work to be pretty minor at most.  (Others may disagree of course).  Since it's mostly white people getting involved in various horrible stories, you could easily argue that its white people in the stories that are dumb/ evil. Wink

I've found somewhat more racism in Robert Howard's Conan stories, but it isn't alway obvious.  The main reason I'm taking a break from reading the complete collection was that it was starting to feel formulaic.  (Each story featuring a civilised woman who finds Conan's noble-barbarian shtick incredibly arousing.  I'm Sure Mr Howard had nooooo issues whatsoever. Wink ).  Plus the repeated 'Because Conan was a barbarian, he Does Not Lie/ Is a Natural Commander/ Has Better Reflexes Than Everyone/ Is The Most Charismatic Man Ever/ Can Shoot Lasers From His Eyes.

Anyway, Im ranting quite a bit considering that I actually *like* the stories.  So I'll stop.

Hey every one thanks for the welcome Cheesy 

I some how knew Purgatory and Paradise would not be as fun as hell.  Though reading it made me think that Dante would make a really crap drinking buddy Tongue

As for H.P Lovecraft well he was more of a rampant racist in his letters than his works, I guess I am overtly sensitive since working for the council.  I had to go on a political correctness course. Oh that was “fun.”  I mean who wouldn’t want to spend hours a day for a week learning that we are not allowed to shake hands with foreign people because it may offend them, and that we are not allowed to say disabled toilet, it is also offensive- correct words are accessible toilet.  (Who ever comes up with this stuff needs more sex.  Or at least to have sex period) 

But then again I’m some times dippy since I had no idea till a short time ago that Tom and Jerry is not very “politically correct.” I always thought the black woman in it owned the house. I can be naïve. Tongue

I suppose in his works it could be argued that the themes of race are more mudded (Like in Cthullu when all the black tribes tried to raise it, yet a few white guys did anyways> Not to mention in most of his stories all the protagonists ends up usually insane/committing suicide/more neurotic than a paranoid person on crack.) but references like yellow men etc just make me cringe.

As for Conan I never got in to it.  I hate idealisations in characters to the point where they are not much people but symbols (Buff the Vampire Slayer bordered on doing this at the end of series 7 which made me cringe)  I like really flawed heroes, or anti heroes.  Makes things more interesting. Like Moll Flanders, in the book she commits incest, bigamy and was more of a klepto than Winnona Rider.  Yet she does those things to survive: to not fall in to work houses (prisons had better conditions than those places) and absolute poverty: “survival is her business and survive she does.”   On a slight side note I do like the way Conan dresses, I don’t blame any noble women for being aroused lmao

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)