The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:52:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:52:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of crafts do you do?  (Read 24016 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 21, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »

The title pretty well sums it up. Smiley

What kind of crafty things do you do? Knit? Sew? Scrapbook? Woodwork? All of the above? Something else?

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 06:26:55 pm

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 21, 2008, 12:42:31 pm »

What kind of crafty things do you do? Knit? Sew? Scrapbook? Woodwork? All of the above? Something else?

Unfortunately I'm not a crafty person.  The most I'm doing right now (aside from school and work) is writing my own Rune book.  Been working on it for a few years now, and I plan to keep going!

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 21, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »

My crafting is pretty much limited to the needlearts. I love cross stitch and needlepoint. Suck at embroidery and couldn't knit or crochet if my life depended on it. (For some reason, though, I always wanted to weave and tat lace.)

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: January 21, 2008, 12:53:17 pm »

Hmm, the only thing connected to some kind of fabric would be silk painting.  Cheesy
I find it so boring to knit, my grandmother didn't got me further then the very start.

I used to do some polymere-clay stuff. But that's long ago.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 21, 2008, 01:06:41 pm »

Got a minute?  Wink

It's a way of life for me, so....sewing, costume-making, quilting, cross-stitch, crochet, scrapbooking, card-making, jewelry-making, painting, incense-making, soap-making, candle-making, and various other things (faux gingerbread houses, painted suncatchers, etc).  Check back tomorrow and I'll probably have another craft to add!  Cheesy

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 21, 2008, 01:08:16 pm »

I crochet, and do cross-stitch, but that's about it!
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 21, 2008, 01:17:45 pm »

I have more ideas than I have time to do them, naturally.  Tongue 

I don't specialize in anything in particular. I love to do beading and make homemade greeting cards. In October I make my own Day of the Dead figures.  I do enjoy scrapbooking but it really takes up so much time that I try not to get started anymore. I started on a book as a gift for someone last year and there it still is, not finished.

I love to make charms and talismans too but I mostly make them for myself. I have made them for others but they usually find them too creepy.  Sad

I love putting together costumes too. I had a blast a few years back when I got involved with community theater.

I don't have any special crafting skills like knitting or anything, I used to do hand embroidery years ago (20?), but I doubt I would even remember one stitch now.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 21, 2008, 01:51:38 pm »

In October I make my own Day of the Dead figures.

Any chance I could get a rough overview of this process?  Do you use paper mache?

Brina
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 21, 2008, 02:20:48 pm »

I can knit, but I find large projects rather boring.  Recently learned to sew and find that more enjoyable.  I like to draw with colored pencil and oil pastels, and paint.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: January 21, 2008, 02:47:21 pm »

I tend to do random one-off projects of all different sorts.  Most recent was a collage (allegedly serving as inspiration for weight loss), which kind of felt silly because I think of collages as grade-school art projects a lot of the time, but it was fun too.  I did some needlepoint a couple of years ago for my Apollo shrine (and I used to do cross-stitch all the time in high school), I made a Christmas tree ornament or two (one out of an old fried USB hub), I've done some basic sewing, I've made a few candles (though not for a long time now), and so on and so forth.  I tend to do crafts more based on a specific thing I want to accomplish these days rather than based on the type of craft, though.

One of these days I'll learn to knit.  Or crochet.  But probably not until the baby's a bit older.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 21, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »

I sew. Love to make costumes. I was so sad when my daughter and all her friends got too old for fairy capes and crowns and stuff like that. Fortunately, my son is still really into dress ups, and I made him the most awesome cave boy cape a while back, with leggings out of fuzzy fake fur. I have made myself some ritual clothing, and bags of various shapes and sizes for various magickal items, tarot cards and stones and whatnot. I quilt. I have a zillion UFOs in about as many boxes b/c I don't have time to finish them, but my dream of at least one quilt on every bed has been realized. I keep thinking I am going to learn to knit, but have not yet.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 21, 2008, 03:10:51 pm »

Umm, I sew (currently making a skirt, my first major project in ages), knit, bead, occasionally cross-stitch and have just added making chain maille to the list.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 21, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »

I mostly knit but I also crochet when I find the right pattern and I hear my sewing machines (yes, I have more than one) calling me loudly. Unfortunately, I've no room to get them out right now so I can use them. I also fiddle around with cross stitch, embroidery and other crafts.

I need to get my shawl and the two baby afghans on the needles finished and get the ends of the completed shawl tied in. Then I can think about working on the items I have the ideas floating in my head for. Wink

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 21, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »

Any chance I could get a rough overview of this process?  Do you use paper mache?

I use white Sculpy clay.  I got the idea when I was in a craft store and they had some cardmaking supplies on sale that turned out to be little clothes! I had to buy them. It was in the fall, so I got the idea to make Day of the Dead figures to wear them. 

I start out by making a wire stick figure then put the clothes on the wire frame and bend it into the position I want. Then I mold the sculpy over the exposed wire making the head and legs and arms. Then I put them in the oven to harden at 250 degrees for a minute or two - yes clothes and all, they aren't in long enough or at a high enough temp. to scorch.  After they cool I draw the traditional black lines on them to denote bones.

They are pretty heavy so you need a good stong glue if you want to mount them on a base. But the last ones I made I got the idea to add a hook to their heads so I can hang them.

Not a traditional craft method, I know. But easy to do.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 21, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »

Got a minute?

I like to crochet, I've picked up knitting again (I was kidnapped by a knitting store and they didn't let me leave until I bought stuff!  honest!  really!  honest!), I sometimes like to do cross-stitch.  I've been known to sew, though I haven't in a while.  Mostly because my sewing machine is IMPOSSIBLE to get at.

And depending on where you put the craft limit, I write stories. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)