The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 07:34:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 07:34:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Human Needs and Hellenic Religion  (Read 4216 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 26, 2007, 07:39:08 pm »

People today are not the people of Ancient Greece. The world has changed in major ways since the golden age of Athens. While many of our needs are the same as those of people in ancient Greece (or anywhere/anywhen else, for that matter), our culture and world are different in so many ways from that of ancient Greece.

What modern needs to you expect a modern Hellenic religion to meet?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 26, 2007, 08:02:22 pm »

The thing that I'm most looking for, personally, is a form of practice that can be used by an individual whose family does not necessarily follow said modern Hellenic religion.  I'd also include small groups, like a couple or a single family with no religious community nearby to share a practice with.  A lot of the stricter recon stuff seems to be geared toward larger communities, and while maybe it could be adapted I haven't seen a lot of guidance or ideas about doing so.

I think also the festival calendar of ancient Greece...  maybe doesn't make much sense for a lot of us today?  So something that does make more sense and is a little easier to follow?

I think, for the record, you've got a good start on both of these in your "first stab" post.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 27, 2007, 04:52:02 pm »

TI think also the festival calendar of ancient Greece...  maybe doesn't make much sense for a lot of us today?  So something that does make more sense and is a little easier to follow?

Could someone point me in the direction of an ancient Greece Festival Calendar?  I'd like to get the general idea of it so I know what eveyone else is talking about.   Smiley

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 27, 2007, 07:00:27 pm »

Could someone point me in the direction of an ancient Greece Festival Calendar?  I'd like to get the general idea of it so I know what eveyone else is talking about.   Smiley

Here is a list of festivals and sacrifices in Athens

http://www.numachi.com/~ccount/hmepa/Notes.html

The site itself has a calendar.

http://www.numachi.com/~ccount/hmepa/

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Adele
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 28, 2007, 02:21:19 pm »

Here is a list of festivals and sacrifices in Athens

http://www.numachi.com/~ccount/hmepa/Notes.html

The site itself has a calendar.

http://www.numachi.com/~ccount/hmepa/

Thank you.  I'll wander off now.  Smiley

Adele
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 03, 2007, 03:43:27 am »

The thing that I'm most looking for, personally, is a form of practice that can be used by an individual whose family does not necessarily follow said modern Hellenic religion.  I'd also include small groups, like a couple or a single family with no religious community nearby to share a practice with.  A lot of the stricter recon stuff seems to be geared toward larger communities, and while maybe it could be adapted I haven't seen a lot of guidance or ideas about doing so.

I think also the festival calendar of ancient Greece...  maybe doesn't make much sense for a lot of us today?  So something that does make more sense and is a little easier to follow?

I think, for the record, you've got a good start on both of these in your "first stab" post.  Smiley

After looking at the festival calendar, I have to agree with Star.  It is difficult to follow something so..full.  I read through it and the mind, it boggled.  Shocked I couldn't even come close to observing many of those.  I believe Randall mentioned the Sundays as an idea and the general outline looked very accessable.

I think the main thing for modern times is the individual or small group worship.  State subsided mass worship just isn't going to happen.  Recreating religion to suit the Gods and the mortals is the sticky thing, I think. 

I was also reading the Reformed Kemetic SIG and a question came to mind concerning the Olympians and other Greek dieties.  What modern attributes does anyone attribute to the pantheon?  I don't that I'd call it syncretization, but like Hermes with safe travel (automobiles?) do these things get broken down into the basics?  I guess what I'm trying to get at is how technology and such are handled.  That which the Greeks had no experience with but is common and everyday for us.

Or maybe I shouldn't have read Gaimans "American Gods" recently. Cheesy

(I'm sorry if I'm poking my nose in where its driving anyone crazy, feel free to smack this eager puppy down anytime.)

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 11, 2007, 11:22:16 am »

Stock paragraph:  Things have been a bit quiet, so I thought I'd see if I could summarize what's been said in some of these threads.  I feel like in some places we kind of just let things trail off mid-thought, so I'm hoping this might help pick back up and get going again.

Human needs people have listed:

1.  A form of practice that is adaptable to an individual practitioner operating within the constraints of living in a mixed-religion household, as well as to a small household (individual, couple, small family, etc.) or groups of varying sizes.

2.  A festival calendar that makes more sense outside of the context of Ancient Greece.

3.  A simplified calendar, easier to understand and follow.

4.  Ideas about how known attributes of various deities apply to modern life, things that the Ancient Greeks never heard of or had to deal with but is common and everyday for us.

Anything get missed so far?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 11, 2007, 12:34:10 pm »

People today are not the people of Ancient Greece. The world has changed in major ways since the golden age of Athens. While many of our needs are the same as those of people in ancient Greece (or anywhere/anywhen else, for that matter), our culture and world are different in so many ways from that of ancient Greece.

I'm not really Hellenic though I have had a pull towards Hekate, Hestia and possibly Hera at different times in my life. 

I know in Kemetic religion, the state festivals are practiced by most practitioners (New Year, Mysteries of Wesir, Wag festival), but other festivals just have to do with which deity you are dedicated to.  This also happened in ancient Egypt where each city had their own deities and their days were worshipped alongside the state festivals in the temples. 

::goes to go look at the Hellenic calendar linked earlier in the thread::

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.