The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 13, 2021, 10:00:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2021, 10:00:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question of the safety of a spell/ritiual  (Read 2998 times)
lrdfang
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 06:29:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Multiple

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 22, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

I am new to the boards and semi-new to the world of Magick. I have a basic grasp for the basics and a minor knowledge of some more advance techniques. What brings me here, is I wanted opinions of a ritual/spell that I have tried in the past with thankfully only minor problems but I am thinking of trying it agian and wanted to get some advice before I did it agian.

Basicly what I did was a variation of a basic Wiccan blessing on a much larger scale. My friend was having problems with negative energies coming after her. So I did the only thing I could think of at the time, and that was to draw everything that was after her into myself and us my energies to force it away, because my aura is much stronger then hers was at the time and I had more control over mine. Well though I was slightly out of it because of the intial cleansing I did another link with her and told her to draw as much of my energy as she needed to help build a protection and healing aura in and around her. This is where the problem came in, though I was able to keep the negative energy I had taken from her in me, she had drawn more energy then I had originally thought she would be able to leaving me fairly weak for several days while i recovered.

So my question is has anyone done anything like this before, or know if there are any problems with the concept of it besides needing to keep better control over the amount of energy i give out?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: January 22, 2008, 06:03:53 pm »

So my question is has anyone done anything like this before, or know if there are any problems with the concept of it besides needing to keep better control over the amount of energy i give out?

First of all: Hi  Smiley

Then, why did you do it that way?
That does not sound like any kind of blessing I know. But then I'm not wiccan.

Since you asked opinion, I wouldn't do something like this.
I'd clean the negativity away, there are plenty of places you can put it beside the own aura.
Also, there are a lot of sources of energy that could be called infinite. No need to let someone suck you dry.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 22, 2008, 06:08:11 pm »

Personally that kind of rings alarm bells in my heads, absorbing a lot of negative energy in to yourself is just asking for a world of no good.  Especially when you are a “little out of it”. Ritual  and magic needs full concentration, no matter how small  Its like driving a car after you have had a couple of glasses of wine.

What you are doing is not good in the long run, giving your friend your energy may help in the short term but it is making her dependant on you (she is not learning to fight her own battles) and that wont be good for your health.  You will end up just burning out.

There are safer ways of banishing negative energy, such as invoking a deity.  Also there are shielding and other psychic defences techniques that you and your friend can learn.   Basics can be found here http://www.ecauldron.com/protection.php

Maybe try to find the source of constant negativity would be a good thing as well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:10:29 pm by whambamcam » Logged

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 22, 2008, 06:16:47 pm »

I sounds like a fairly dangerous way to do handle "negative energy" unless one is very experienced and has some reason for drawing the stuff into oneself. I'd have just shielded the other person, or better yet, taught them to do so for themselves.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
lrdfang
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 06:29:15 pm

Religion: Multiple

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 22, 2008, 08:26:41 pm »

Then, why did you do it that way?
That does not sound like any kind of blessing I know. But then I'm not wiccan.

The blessing that I was drawing the idea off of when I first did it was a simple one I picked up in Air Force basic though the wiccan group there. The basic Idea was to draw a pentagram in the air over the item being blessed and then ground yourself and channel energies to the ground cleansing the item. Then drawing another pentagram channel your energies into it blessing it for your need.

Personally that kind of rings alarm bells in my heads, absorbing a lot of negative energy in to yourself is just asking for a world of no good.  Especially when you are a “little out of it”. Ritual  and magic needs full concentration, no matter how small  Its like driving a car after you have had a couple of glasses of wine.

The cleansing part of it I was in clear head it was the actual channeling the energy back to her that I was out of it for and I know that was the biggest cause for the effects it had on me.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I decided to ask becuase I want to help my friends and I knew this had worked in the past, the whole thing scared me thinking about doing it agian. I was worried becuase of how much the drain put me out last time. Normally I can bounce back from just about everything, I have one of the strongest and fastest recovoring auras of most of the people I know so to be put out for a week worried me. From what you guys are saying that worry was justified which is what I wanted to verify.

Thank you agian for help and the referances.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 22, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »

The blessing that I was drawing the idea off of when I first did it was a simple one I picked up in Air Force basic though the wiccan group there. The basic Idea was to draw a pentagram in the air over the item being blessed and then ground yourself and channel energies to the ground cleansing the item. Then drawing another pentagram channel your energies into it blessing it for your need.

No reason this should not work. Id just skip the pulling "negative" energy into yourself.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 22, 2008, 11:06:04 pm »

Basicly what I did was a variation of a basic Wiccan blessing on a much larger scale. My friend was having problems with negative energies coming after her. So I did the only thing I could think of at the time, and that was to draw everything that was after her into myself and us my energies to force it away, because my aura is much stronger then hers was at the time and I had more control over mine. Well though I was slightly out of it because of the intial cleansing I did another link with her and told her to draw as much of my energy as she needed to help build a protection and healing aura in and around her. This is where the problem came in, though I was able to keep the negative energy I had taken from her in me, she had drawn more energy then I had originally thought she would be able to leaving me fairly weak for several days while i recovered.

I agree with Randall's comments: the drawing negative stuff into you is totally not necessary and really problematic. (I also agree with the comments about encouraging dependency, which is generally a really bad move, long-term.

What I'd do in this case:

1) Make sure that there is nothing in her behavior or actions that's a direct or potentially related part of the situation. (For example, if someone goes around making things nasty for other people, or gossiping in bad ways, no amount of shielding and protection is going to stop the consequences coming home.) If she's had arguments with other people, this is a good time to try and make amends or otherwise resolve the situation so it's stable. If there's stuff she truly can't effect, it's a good time to limit the impact of that on her life as much as possible.

2) Is she taking care of herself? Good psychic health is helped by some basic physical things. You don't need to be a health nut, but getting enough sleep, half-decent food, and some relaxation time will all help a great deal.

3) Start by cleansing and protecting the space where she sleeps. Cleaning out any negative energy and ick currently there goes a long way to helping build reserves for a lot of people. Ideally, this should be a room with a door she can close. If she shares her bedroom, do the bed. If she shares the bed, do stuff that whoever she shares the bed with won't object to. (Even just washing the sheets out consciously and being aware of making it/keeping the bedroom tidier can go a long way.)

4) Work with her on basic methods of grounding, centering, and shielding: there are non-religion specific ways to approach all of these if needed. Whatever you do will be *way* more effective for her (and much easier on you) if she's helping and taking more of the responsibility for what's around her on.

5) Once you've got all of that, a good thorough cleansing bath/shower and an energetic cleansing will go a long way. Saltwater in the bathtub is a favorite of mine (or a salt scrub in the shower: in a pinch, a soap with sea salts in it or lavender or rosemary will all work.) Follow that with an energetic cleansing: the term I've most commonly heard used is 'aura scraping' or 'aura cleaning' - but basically, work out any energetic tangles using the tool of your choice. (My favorite involves combing the aura with my fingers.)

There's also an energetic technique I usually hear referred to as 'cut-aways' around here: it starts with the premise that our connections to other people can place 'hooks' inside our defenses, and leave lines to us that can be used, sometimes not to our benefit. (Sometmes they are: we want connections to our loved ones, our friends, etc.) A cut-away cuts away those unwanted energetic connections.

It's hard to describe without walking you through some specific steps and knowing a bit more about your background, but you might want to consider some research, or if anyone local to you is familiar and can give you a walk-through.

6) Once you've done whatever cleansing you're doing, seal and bless. Have her help on the 'seal' part, which is really shielding. Once you've got a filter or barrier keeping out unwanted energy (and making sure you let in the stuff she does want!) you can add additional blessing energy or a specific focus. You might come up with a small token (a stone, a pendant, etc.) she can carry with her for a while to help her focus her attention on the shielding.

Your 'channel the energies into the thing you're blessing' is a great starting place - but again, you want her to do as much of the work as you can. Depending on how she perceives energy and information in general, she may find that a visual image (a glowing light that keeps her safe) works. Some people like the 'surrounded by a big fluffy blanket' tactile option. I tend to have music running through my head as a focus. And so on.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 23, 2008, 09:48:11 am »

only minor problems but I am thinking of trying it agian and wanted to get some advice before I did it agian.

OH my word lrdfang.... Don't do that again... please.
I'm concerned with your channels within. Your aura being stronger than hers is a plus for a barrier but your inner channels casings/walls have not had enough work put in to strengthen them. You could damage yourself before you have the chance to grow strong channels in which to... channel energy.

Please don't allow negatives to flow through you again... or allow a direct tap into you, or from you to another person. If you damage yourself who will heal you to ensure no scaring or weaking of your walls. *it is my belief that when large scale damage has occured it takes 3 healers to repair that kind of damage to energy channels*

*shakes finger* Don't do it again. ya, I'm shaking my finger at you... like an old mother hen. Wink
*puts finger away*

It is my belief that in time to come... you have the potential to be quiet powerful.
Please be careful with your pipes. Work with postive and self energy. Work at moving your own energy within. Change it's speed and learn to control it. Like a muscle the more you use it the stronger it becomes... as do the walls of your pipes/channels.

There are a few ways you could have used yourself. I'm not Wiccan.. but to push energy into the symbol and let it pool, then give it a push releasing your attachment. Whether your sending or receiving this may work for you. Prevents tapping and draining. One day you will be able to channel directly without draining.. as you will be able to control the flow, stop it, start it at will. You will know your limits of levels, know how much is needed without waste.

Working with energy balls will serve you in many ways. If you feel your calling is to seek out negatives and negative energies, learning to make stable energy balls comes in very handy. You can create an energy sink with a ball to draw negatives out, or suck negatives in before they reach someone who is under attack, or have swarms and the like.
Be careful with energy sinks, start small and be exact. See what you can find to read up on. Ask around to gain knowledge from those with experience *book knowledge is good but seek out those that are energy workers with knowledge and experience.*
You don't want to mistakenly drain the person your trying to help, or others around them including yourself.

*smiles* You may find none of this is helpful, but it may open other avenues you may not have thought of, or have been exposed to.

Energy Follows Attention

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)