The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 10:49:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 10:49:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How does one go about creating a wand?  (Read 14001 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: April 03, 2008, 06:24:52 pm »

Oaksworn,

These sound really beautiful.  Do you have pictures you can post?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 03, 2008, 06:40:40 pm »

Do you have pictures you can post?

I'll see if I can work something up.  It may take a few days.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 03, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »

Do you find there's a significant difference in energy/what sort of tool they are (that's really hard to frame in words; poke me with questions if it's not clear enough) between the copper-based wands and wood-based staves?

I think I get it, from one animist to another Smiley

Yes there is a base difference but it's more an energetic affinity/personality than simply suitability for a given task.  The best I can characterize it would be to say that when working with wood for the staves it's almost a collaborative effort with the spirit of the wood. 

I have two staves who talk to me and they both have full bodied personalities.  One is currently in progress where all I've done is removed the bark, the other is the one I mentioned where I used flame, that's my main staff.  The main one has been adamant against any further decoration or fiddling - no carving, drilling nothing.  I had to get creative and work out a leather sleeve to hold the crystal at the top and a leather hand grip.  The only other decoration it wants is a colorful scarf to go with it's feather.  Yes, it's been very specific.

To contrast, the copper wands developed their personality through the creative process of building them and then using them.  They don't speak anywhere near as much.  The process was more having an idea of where I wanted to go and the materials I wanted to use and having the personality emerge from the resulting vibration of the construct.

Quote from: SunflowerP
And, while I'm asking questions, what's rainbow fluorite?  Is that just when both the green and purple coloration are evident, or are there more colors involved?

It's the term I came to know mixed green and purple flourite by.  The greens and purples vary in shade and intensity and sometimes you get colorless bands in there too.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 03, 2008, 08:43:23 pm »

I've got the same sort of grumpiness about penny offerings, as they seem to usually be done in Pagandom, as Grymdycche (which includes what you said about them being insultingly small), and do strongly prefer making energy offerings.  I haven't had any problems with just giving it directly - might be an animist thing; it's all part of the ongoing negotiatory conversation, for me - but you've given me another way to look at the whole thing.  Good for teaching students (who may not be animists, or may not have facility conversing with things, or whatever); good for times when I have trouble having a clear convo.

It makes more sense to the "flavor" of my path to go with hair; also, I have some idea (not sure where I got it and know nothing of details, so it might be BS) that not everything pennies leech is beneficial to all plants.  Which could be true of my hair, too, I suppose, but OTOH I shed several strands a day anyway, so it's out there in any case.

New tool for the toolbox!

Sunflower

Before teaching that though, I think it's worthy of further debate.  For instance - do we know for sure that animal energy is totally compatible with plant energy? 
I imagine it depends on how you look upon and define energy.  If it's simply the Universal Life Force, then we have our answer: "yes".
But not everyone might look upon it that way (?)

I've also heard of people leaving blood on the stump or cut. I imagine that could be bad for certain trees though.
In any case, I've just located a bunch of arbor specific ebooks, so I should have my answers regarding how best to handle the exposed end of a fresh cut.

Are lumberjacks trashing their karma?    Tongue

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: April 04, 2008, 10:49:40 pm »

I think I get it, from one animist to another Smiley

Yes there is a base difference but it's more an energetic affinity/personality than simply suitability for a given task.  The best I can characterize it would be to say that when working with wood for the staves it's almost a collaborative effort with the spirit of the wood. 
<snip>
To contrast, the copper wands developed their personality through the creative process of building them and then using them.  They don't speak anywhere near as much.  The process was more having an idea of where I wanted to go and the materials I wanted to use and having the personality emerge from the resulting vibration of the construct.
That makes sense - a length of tree-branch tends to have a much stronger self-identity than a piece of copper tubing.  But, while it's relevant to what I was wondering (at least from an animist's POV), it's not what I was trying to ask - I was thinking in terms of differences as tools, after construction.

It seems to me that a metal wand (of whatever type, though I suspect this'd apply with different types of metal as well) would be a different kind of wand, with, at the very least, subtle differences in how it's used, energetically speaking, and possibly differences in what it's used for.  OTOH, there are those who find that to be the case with different types of wood, which I haven't really experienced (subtle differences in how one works with them, yes, but for me that's just as true of two different wands made of the same wood; it's a matter of the individual personality of each wand, which wood type is only one factor in).

Is that any clearer?

It's the term I came to know mixed green and purple flourite by.  The greens and purples vary in shade and intensity and sometimes you get colorless bands in there too.
Okay, nothing I haven't seen, then.  I was wondering because fluorite likes me - it wasn't a stone that stood out for me in any way, until I discovered, pretty much accidentally (and in fact didn't know it for quite a while even then, because there were other factors involved - long story; if you want to hear it, it might be better in email), that it likes me.  Kind of a switch on the usual "favorite stone" thing; I don't think to cite it as a favorite, because when folks ask about that, it seems to me they're asking about something a bit different.  But it's a stone of particular interest to me.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 04, 2008, 10:58:50 pm »

Before teaching that though, I think it's worthy of further debate.  For instance - do we know for sure that animal energy is totally compatible with plant energy?
If you wanted to catch me "before teaching", you're sixteen years late.  Yes, in my system they're compatible - I don't know from "totally" compatible, but compatible enough for the circumstances being discussed here.  And, no, they're not "Universal Life Force", or at any rate that's not a term I would use, at all.

And what on earth does karma have to do with it?

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: April 04, 2008, 11:00:14 pm »

it likes me.  Kind of a switch on the usual "favorite stone" thing

I've had this happen to, with angelite, amethyst, and citrine.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 05, 2008, 02:03:57 am »

And what on earth does karma have to do with it?

Sunflower

When's the last time you saw a lumberjack ask permission from a tree to cut it down, or give one an offering before taking his chainsaw to it and ending it's life?
Would that not theoretically affect his karma?

But I said it jokingly anyway. That's what the goofy tongue in cheek smiley was for. Y'know, this guy  -->  Tongue

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 05, 2008, 02:19:33 am »

If you wanted to catch me "before teaching", you're sixteen years late.  Yes, in my system they're compatible - I don't know from "totally" compatible, but compatible enough for the circumstances being discussed here.  And, no, they're not "Universal Life Force", or at any rate that's not a term I would use, at all.

Sunflower

Sorry, I got the impression from your sentence that you were going to start incorporating something new.
I guess the only thing new was the charging of the penny rather than a direct infusion of energy?

" I've got the same sort of grumpiness about penny offerings, as they seem to usually be done in Pagandom, as Grymdycche (which includes what you said about them being insultingly small), and do strongly prefer making energy offerings.  I haven't had any problems with just giving it directly - might be an animist thing; it's all part of the ongoing negotiatory conversation, for me - but you've given me another way to look at the whole thing.  Good for teaching students (who may not be animists, or may not have facility conversing with things, or whatever); good for times when I have trouble having a clear convo."

Qualis vir, talis oratio
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 05, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »

I was thinking in terms of differences as tools, after construction.

Ah, ok... well let's see then...

It's kind of hard to answer the question because I have no wooden wands or metal staves so all I have to go on is how I interface with what I have.  Normally my wand only gets used in formal ritual, i.e. during circle casting or clearing/cleansing a space.  I use it specifically to direct energy in a narrow beam; It's a very good conductor.  In this respect my wand is more of a tool, a respected one, yes, but still a tool.

Conversely, I've never used a staff in ritual, formal or otherwise.  I've used it on a more personal connection level during meditations and assisting me in running my energy when I'm in a space where I need the assistance.  It's much more of a friend and a traveling companion than a simple tool.  My staff is frequently within arms reach, it leans against my favorite chair.  As such, I'm able to make connection with it on a more frequent basis even if it's only absently following it's grain with my fingers.

Part of this may be that I've had my staff longer, it had more of a personality before I began shaping it, and I have more frequent connection with it.  Part may also be do to my perception of these two: I see a wand itself as being more tool like and a staff as more of a friend who travels with you on your journey.  Look at some of the artwork on the topic, wands are only ever employed in a ritualistic manner whereas a staff is seen frequently in the mages hand as he just walks down the trail.  While I understand that some schools teach that a staff can be used in place of a wand and that they share many of the same properties I've had trouble equating the two.

OTOH, there are those who find that to be the case with different types of wood, which I haven't really experienced (subtle differences in how one works with them, yes, but for me that's just as true of two different wands made of the same wood; it's a matter of the individual personality of each wand, which wood type is only one factor in).

I understand what you're saying here.  It's why I'll never buy a ritual tool unless I can handle it myself first.  I can remember a street fair about 15 years ago where a vendor was selling knives of various types.  I picked up a handless blade with the idea of fashioning it into an athame and had a rather uncomfortable feel from it.  The vendor pointed out it was from a sacrificial knife.  While I couldn't verify his claim the blade was certainly full of darkness and pain.  I put it down and walked away.

As far as various types of woods go, I'd have to say that the closer the wood is to it's original state, a branch rather than a board, the easier it is to pickup on it's individuality.  Even if you have two wands crafted from the same branch with the same materials they will feel different.  They may be close, like siblings, but they will feel distinctly different.  Compare a wand from another type of wood to those two and you'll get another feeling entirely.

... long story; if you want to hear it, it might be better in email....

Sure Smiley  Stories are good to hear.  Yours are always interesting and hold fun nuggets of usefulness.

Hope that helps out and comes close to answering your questions.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: April 05, 2008, 08:07:38 pm »

Would that not theoretically affect his karma?

But I said it jokingly anyway. That's what the goofy tongue in cheek smiley was for. Y'know, this guy  -->  Tongue
I suppose, from the POV of someone whose system includes the concept of karma.  Mine doesn't; I even try to avoid using it as a parallel to describe how action/consequence works in my system, because that gives a false impression about the concept of karma.

So the joke loses a lot through irrelevance, I'm afraid.

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: April 05, 2008, 08:22:50 pm »

Sorry, I got the impression from your sentence that you were going to start incorporating something new.
I guess the only thing new was the charging of the penny rather than a direct infusion of energy?
Well, more likely a hair than a penny, and still only as something they could opt to do if giving energy directly is a problem in any way.  Mostly, the shift is from, "what so many people do with pennies is silly" to "a penny as the offering is silly; a penny as the vehicle for the energy-offering is reasonable".

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: April 05, 2008, 08:43:51 pm »

While I understand that some schools teach that a staff can be used in place of a wand and that they share many of the same properties I've had trouble equating the two.
They're not quite interchangeable (it's similar, but not identical to, the near-equivalence of sword and athame), but very nearly so... depending on the wand.  (And on the staff, but it sounds like you and I have largely similar POVs on staves, so staves that are outside our usage of them are purely academic.)  Most of the things I'd use a staff for, and could use a wood wand for, in ritual, I'm not at all sure a metal wand would suffice for.

Sure Smiley  Stories are good to hear.  Yours are always interesting and hold fun nuggets of usefulness.
Thank you.  I'm not sure just when I'll get to the email, but I will write to you about that - and likely include some rambling on staves and wands that I decided was, well, too rambly to include here.

Hope that helps out and comes close to answering your questions.
Yeah, it does, at least, as close as we're going to get, given that neither of us has enough experience with the comparatives to speak definitively.

Sunflower

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #28: April 05, 2008, 10:36:28 pm »

They're not quite interchangeable (it's similar, but not identical to, the near-equivalence of sword and athame), but very nearly so... depending on the wand.

There are times the extra length is handy. For example, there are rituals out there where you are forming or calling a specific entity into a particular space: one version of this I've seen involves forming a triangle out of staffs, with the holding space (in this particular case, a cauldron, for various specific practical reasons for the bulk of the specific working: a smaller bowl would not have worked in this case.)

You can fit a good-sized cauldron between 3 staffs that meet at the edges. You can't between three wands.

There's also the technique we refer to as 'sky-hooking', used to dismantle the circle quickly at the end of ritual. I was taught how to use it because it's useful if there's a true emergency (like something requiring EMTs) in circle: it calls back all of the various energetic strands and anchors them.  We've used it sometimes when a circle has run really late, and people are having real focus issues, too.

The physical motion is a bit like winding the circle like cotton candy onto the end of the staff, and then focusing all of the energy down through the line of the staff into the ground as you drop the end of the staff to the ground to make a good solid thump. (perpendicular to the ground, letting the staff fall straight downwards, bottom down, through your hands)

The energy feel is rather like going over the drop on a roller-coaster, and can be very unsettling if you don't know what's coming/what to expect (especially for people who are not solid at their own energy management yet.) But it works.

Obviously, in that case, a wand wouldn't work: you can't get the same kind of anchored connection to floor/ground with a wand, or the audible 'thump' that will help firmly reground everyone.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 06, 2008, 01:29:48 am »

Well, more likely a hair than a penny, and still only as something they could opt to do if giving energy directly is a problem in any way.  Mostly, the shift is from, "what so many people do with pennies is silly" to "a penny as the offering is silly; a penny as the vehicle for the energy-offering is reasonable".

Sunflower

Ah, okay, I gotcha now.. (as in, "I get it")   Nicely put.

Qualis vir, talis oratio

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)