The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 05:16:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 05:16:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Traditions with more than one Pantheon  (Read 5181 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 24, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone's traditions involved deities from more than one pantheon. Which ones? How do you make it work?

I personally only, currently, really work with the Hellenic deities, though I've had small visits with the Romans and one Kemetic deity of unknown origin.

I love the Greeks, but I relate to them in a very untraditional way, which has led to me being less than perfect at rituals and the traditional "O Great Golden One, I beseech you to...". In fact I'm pretty sure I spelled beseech you wrong, and just did again. Does that make me a bad follower? Is it wrong that I feel close enough to my gods/goddesses that doing something like that seems wrong to me? I don't think so, in fact, I think it's just splendiforus, and I'll probably keep doing it. Especially seeing as how the last few times I've tried to do anything ritual like, I've nearly lit myself on fire.

But, my issue is going to be if I end up working with someone from another pantheon and they expect me to get down on bended knee and sing their praises. I wouldn't bet on a relationship like that making it very long, because (A) I'm pretty lazy, (B) It would have to be hidden from my grandparents, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. However when I'm living on my own I think I would be more open to the possibilities, and to working out any issues with space, time, etc.

Sorry if I sound analytical, but I am. I look at working with anyone, except Apollo, like having a job. I'm not going to get a job that I won't be able to show up for. The idea of just worshipping someone when it suits me isn't appealing, and if I weren't completely doe-eyed over Apollo, I probably wouldn't even be doing anything with the greeks right now either. Sorry, but making sure I'll have a home to worship them from, and a job to support my eating habit takes a little priority.

Wow. This entire post makes no sense. Have fun with it anyway, and mourn whatever sanity I used to possess.

Yours kinda,
     Aionia

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 24, 2008, 04:18:51 pm »

*snip* But, my issue is going to be if I end up working with someone from another pantheon and they expect me to get down on bended knee and sing their praises. I wouldn't bet on a relationship like that making it very long,
*snip*
I look at working with anyone, except Apollo, like having a job. *snip*

Er..so, if you dont want to work with anyone else, why is it even an issue?

If a diety expects things from you that you don't find helpful or meaningful, and you aren't that interested in them anyway, it would seem to be inappropriate to work with them in the first place.  Does that make sense?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 24, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »

The only "formal" work I do with my deities is for me, mostly. My own sense of self-discipline, and my own feeling of "having something to do" on a more...erm...sane level than my usual MO. When I'm having a really bad week, or whatever, I get a sense of comfort from those rituals and twice-daily devotional prayers. I don't really know why I do, but I do.

My gods do not expect this of me. And I very much have a "one on one" relationship with each of them, both inside and outside of ritual.

I work with both the Roman and Celtic pantheons, formally. I have...erm...acquaintances? In the Greek, Norse and even Hawaiian pantheons. I've never had any problem with anyone not getting along, really.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 24, 2008, 06:27:44 pm »

Sorry if I sound analytical, but I am. I look at working with anyone, except Apollo, like having a job. I'm not going to get a job that I won't be able to show up for.

Hard to understand what it is you want here. Are you looking forward to borrowing trouble, for some reason? Wink

I work with a lot of different Goddesses, only one God, so far (Jai Siva). I serve Hindu goddesses, especially Kali and and Lakshmi, and I am in a Sha'can teaching circle at present. I work with Gaia all the time, Athena and Aphrodite sometimes. I work with Yemana  and Anat sometimes. There is some Mayan goddess who has been calling me, but I don't know who she is, and I am not ready to go there. And I have worked with Kuan Yin a lot, although she is the only one in the chinese pantheon who has ever called. And the key is, *they called *me. I did not and never will go look for trouble among the Gods, and believe me there is plenty there to be had if you go poking around where you are not wanted and don't belong.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 24, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »

I was wondering if anyone's traditions involved deities from more than one pantheon. Which ones? How do you make it work?

Yes, with some additional stuff that might or might not help.

First, the issue of "how do you handle the mix" is one that anyone who works in a tradition that works with specific deities in a group setting, and different deities in their personal life hits. In other words, you are not alone.

My personal deities and personal work? British, and specifically, I'm pretty sure, English.

My tradition work? Greek, and through Greek influence, into Rome and some Egyptian aspects, too (mostly those where there's more historical syncreticism.) The combination grew up over time, as deities made their interests known.

The group works with three primary pairs: Rhea and Janus for moon rituals, Thoth and Isis for teaching circles (and, after lots of discussions about Aset and Isis with Kemetically inclined folks, in this case, I really do mean Isis), and one other pair (of similar geographic origins) for initiations and a few other rituals. (I'm being non-specific here, as most of those rituals are oathbound or otherwise covered under our "we don't share outside the circle" agreements.)

I'm in the process of hiving. I've known for a long time that the deities that I work with personally are not *opposed* to the group work (and generally think it's a good thing) but they have no particular interest in being the ones who show up there: their scope is pretty specific, and is not a good fit for lots of people, including pretty much everyone I'm close to in magical settings.

So. Erm. Deities.

We have a theoretical plan, as of yesterday for seeing what happens. We have three sets of deities we're considering (all Greek) with a possible swap midway through the year (at the Equinoxes). Our plan is to do one or two rituals focusing on each pair and with the ritual work focusing on introducing ourselves more specifically and seeing if the direction we're going is of mutual interest, and so on and so forth, and seeing what comes of that. If none of them feel right, we'll regroup and try again.

(Why Greek? I'm inclined that way, I read the language, which is more than I can say for any of the other options, and I have an ongoing fondness and specific kinds of workings history with Artemis, who is one of the choices under consideration. My covenmate who's working on this with me is disinclined Celtic, and so on. If we get hit on the head with a clue by four, we'll go that way, but until then, we'll be a little methodical about it and see where it gets us.)

Now, on the "I have some past working history with Artemis", another bit of use to you.

M'Lady and Himself (my primary personal deities) have absolute first claim on me: that's explicit in both directions. That said, there's a fair amount of 'free time' in my apparent schedule for them: there's a lot of stuff (teaching Craft, for example) where they want me to be doing it, but don't necessarily care about all the circumstances (like if I do that in a ritual setting with other deities.) Being polytheistic is handy this way, really.

So I am and have been (as you might guess from those three pairs for group work!) quite happy with working with specific deities for specific reasons, or in specific contexts. I'm clear about boundaries and commitments I can and can't make, and thus far, it hasn't been an issue or even a point of disagreement. (Sort of like negotiating a work relationship: my job does not get to call me at 3am. My best friends do if they need me. The negotiation in the two cases is appropriately focused and pre-arranged, more or less, but I can have both situations in my life at the same time without anyone being upset or even surprised by it.)

I've gotten a lot out of the other-deity work, to, mind you - the ritual where I aspected Artemis remains a rich source of stories in our group, mostly for good reason. *grin* But it was also a fabulous internal experience. I've had a couple of others like that.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 25, 2008, 11:12:36 am »

I'm sorry guys school is making me stupid. I don't talk to people since I started school, I might say three sentences in 24 hours which is not good.

The whole reason I brought this up is that I've currently been trying to open up more so I can feel energies better, but I'm terrified that now that I'm not in hiding someone will come along and go, "You. You look nice come follow me."
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 25, 2008, 12:04:29 pm »

The whole reason I brought this up is that I've currently been trying to open up more so I can feel energies better, but I'm terrified that now that I'm not in hiding someone will come along and go, "You. You look nice come follow me."

You always have the option to say no. Or to say "I'm not making a long-term commitment, but I'm willing to try X thing with specific limits." Or any other thing in the range.

It's very much like negotiating with friends for me: there are people who can call me up at 3am and I will drive them to the hospital. There are people I'll help out if I can. There are people I would not have a thing to do with unless the world were truly ending. And there are people I'll work with happily on specific projects, but won't do social things with. Same kind of negotiation process, really: they ask, I say yes, or no, or offer an alternative, depending.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 26, 2008, 01:23:51 pm »

I'm sorry guys school is making me stupid. I don't talk to people since I started school, I might say three sentences in 24 hours which is not good.

oh dear. That isn't good. School is supposed to be where you make friends. I hope that lightens up for you soon.

Well, I think age and experience will help you with that fear, especially experience with other human people. As Jennet said, it's much the same as with other relationships. In my post, I listed a whole bunch of deities I work with in different ways at different times. There are only a couple that I work with just about every day. And I have definitely told a couple of them that I would have to get back to them later, I just was not ready. And I have also been told "honey, I love you too, but you're not my daughter". If they come to you, it's b/c that is where you belong. There is nothing to be afraid of there, ime, although it can be a very scary experience at first for sure.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 27, 2008, 09:29:25 pm »

I have worked with and/or honored deities from the Egyptian, Norse, Greek, Hindu [Kali-Ma], Yoruba, and tradition-less/pantheon-less ones as well.

I make it work because They require it. Smiley If They didn't want the interplay, They wouldn't involve themselves with me.

It doesn't really work like that, largely. You can say 'no thanks, not interested' or 'maybe, but I can only do this for you'.

It's also not a 'hiding' thing...you can't hide from the gods. If They want to talk to you, They will.

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 27, 2008, 10:36:26 pm »

It's also not a 'hiding' thing...you can't hide from the gods. If They want to talk to you, They will.

I second that. Loudly.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 27, 2008, 11:57:55 pm »

I make it work because They require it. Smiley If They didn't want the interplay, They wouldn't involve themselves with me.
And I'll second this bit (though I agree with the other one too).

For me, "making it work because they require it" isn't a huge juggling act; my deities are pretty cooperative about it.  (I'm guessing that's true for Alex, too, and she [I'm glad I checked!] didn't intend to imply that she had to jump through hoops to make it work.)

That doesn't mean they can't be demanding at times - but they do want to be involved with me, and with each other in context of my practice (which is why I count them as a "personal pantheon" - they have relationships with each other, just not culturally-based ones), so they have a vested interest in helping to make it work.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 28, 2008, 01:13:18 am »

Are you worried that you can't say no to a god?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 31, 2008, 03:36:11 pm »

Are you worried that you can't say no to a god?

In a way yes, but not because I think they would storm down from heaven and punish me.

I have an unreasonable fear of having anyone be upset with me, and the gods/goddesses are at the top of that paticular list. If someone was really, really, really doing something to make my life Hell I could tell a human to get off my back and leave me the f#@% alone, but I can't make myself say that to a deity and put any force behind it.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 31, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »

If someone was really, really, really doing something to make my life Hell I could tell a human to get off my back and leave me the f#@% alone, but I can't make myself say that to a deity and put any force behind it.

<shrugs>  I dont see why not.   I mean, ok, I dont think they exist and all.. but I think you're really denying your own control over your life.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 31, 2008, 05:10:50 pm »

If someone was really, really, really doing something to make my life Hell I could tell a human to get off my back and leave me the f#@% alone, but I can't make myself say that to a deity and put any force behind it.

I have in the past -- and it worked. There was what I can only describe as a series of temper tantrums, but it worked since I would not budge.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)