The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2022, 07:32:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2022, 07:32:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Instructions I Can Understand On Posting A Picture  (Read 7117 times)
Athystle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 06:05:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 25, 2008, 09:09:41 am »

I would love to figure out how to add a picture to a post. I can not understand what half of computer talk means. I have no idea whatsoever how to even do it or how to properly size one. I know nothing I guess. It took me 8 months to figure it out on LJ and I'm not getting anywhere here. Even on LJ I still hvae no idea how to resize to their specifications but they forgive me as it's amazing to everyone I think that I have even got as far as I have after so long. I've only done it once there. These things just do not click for me at all and I need instructions as if they were written for a two yr old.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: January 25, 2008, 09:32:09 am »

I would love to figure out how to add a picture to a post. I can not understand what half of computer talk means. I have no idea whatsoever how to even do it or how to properly size one. I know nothing I guess. It took me 8 months to figure it out on LJ and I'm not getting anywhere here. Even on LJ I still hvae no idea how to resize to their specifications but they forgive me as it's amazing to everyone I think that I have even got as far as I have after so long. I've only done it once there. These things just do not click for me at all and I need instructions as if they were written for a two yr old.

My best advice is to try Photobucket.  As I understand it, they will resize the image for you (or at least they used to) and should have step-by-step instructions on how to do that using their service.  They should also have instructions about how to upload images to an account there, and once the image is there it's on the Net so you can use it in a post.

They may give you some code to display the image; if so, what you want is the BBcode.  If not, they'll certainly at least give you the address, and you can use this code to display it here:
[img](address)[/img]

You'll just replace the (address) with the address that Photobucket gives you.

Did that help at all?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 25, 2008, 09:36:04 am »

First you are going to need to put the pictures on a picture host like photobucket pretty self explanatory. Get an account, sign in, on the home page of your account will be a box that says 'Upload' click on browse choose the picture you want and click on upload.

Once the picture is uploaded it should show up lower down on the page with some text under it. It will say "Email & IM", "Direct link", "HTML Code", and "IMG Code" and each will have a box next to it with technical gobbledygook text in it.

Click on the box next to where it says "IMG Code" and you should get a little sign pop up saying "Copied". Then go into the reply box on TC and right click where in the text you want the picture and select paste. Preview your post and the image should be there. Always make sure that there is a space on either side of the code you paste.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 26, 2008, 02:41:02 pm »

My best advice is to try Photobucket.  As I understand it, they will resize the image for you (or at least they used to) and should have step-by-step instructions on how to do that using their service.  They should also have instructions about how to upload images to an account there, and once the image is there it's on the Net so you can use it in a post.

They may give you some code to display the image; if so, what you want is the BBcode.  If not, they'll certainly at least give you the address, and you can use this code to display it here:
[img](address)[/img]

Did that help at all?
Oh, I already have photobucket. It's after that I have all the trouble posting an image. I did it from there to LJ and the image posted was huge and I think likely over the size limits. When I say I need instructions as if they were for a two yr old I really mean it. You would not believe the simplicity of the ones a poster at LJ sent me and they are the ones that finally got me through it.

From what I'm understanding you to say the same instructions should work for here too then. I really don't know what to do about the size problem. I really just don't understand what all this code business it. I have no computer knowledge at all that counts when I want to do something like this. If most ppl were to look at the photobucket or LJ instructions on how to do it they would very likely find it simple. When I look at them however I get nothing out of it at all. I did copy and print the instructions the kind poster at LJ sent me though so I do still have them. You would really laugh and think I must be quite mentally needy if you were to see the instr. she sent me complete with pictures,arrows and text as well. It still took me a long time to do it. I still can't figure out the LJ cut thing over there either.

I will try the next time I feel the need to. Should I try to do it on the test spot here first? Or would it be just as bad to have something come out being oversize there ? Wouldn't it at least show I was trying to go by the rules? I am sorry that I just can't seem to get it. I am not this slow at getting things in general I assure you, it's just this damn computer crap. I graduated HS before computers and it's just something that don't click well for me at all though I continue to try and work at it.

Thank you so much for trying to help.
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 26, 2008, 02:44:51 pm »

First you are going to need to put the pictures on a picture host like photobucket pretty self explanatory. Get an account, sign in, on the home page of your account will be a box that says 'Upload' click on browse choose the picture you want and click on upload.

Once the picture is uploaded it should show up lower down on the page with some text under it. It will say "Email & IM", "Direct link", "HTML Code", and "IMG Code" and each will have a box next to it with technical gobbledygook text in it.

Click on the box next to where it says "IMG Code" and you should get a little sign pop up saying "Copied". Then go into the reply box on TC and right click where in the text you want the picture and select paste. Preview your post and the image should be there. Always make sure that there is a space on either side of the code you paste.
Thank you for trying to help me as well. If you read the post I made in respose to Star trying to help you will see that it isn't a normal situation. I am embarrasingly illiterate when it comes to computer crap. I will add your ideas to my notes on posting picture help. Who knows, I may some day get it.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: January 26, 2008, 05:42:26 pm »

I will try the next time I feel the need to. Should I try to do it on the test spot here first? Or would it be just as bad to have something come out being oversize there ?

The test board's a good place for that sort of thing.  I wish I could give you more specific instructions about resizing using Photobucket, but I don't use it myself.  Sad  So I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help there.  If nothing else, we have several people who are usually happy to resize things for people when needed--ask and ye shall receive.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 26, 2008, 07:49:53 pm »

I really don't know what to do about the size problem.

In photobucket above each picture in your homepage is a list of links, "move", "tag", "edit", "share", and "delete". Click on Edit.

On the page that comes up there will be a big version of the picture above which will be a number of icons, the third from the left says "resize". Click on it. You will get a list "Avatar (100 x 75)", "Thumbnail (160 x 120)", "Website, Email (320 x 240)", and "Message Board (640 x 480)", I recommend you click on "Message Board (640 x 480)". It will then ask you "Are you sure you want to do this?", click yes.

The picture is then resized and you can post it following the instructions in my previous post. I really don't know how to make it any clearer. Maybe if you found someone to show you instead of trying to get it from reading it then it would be easier.

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: January 26, 2008, 08:29:07 pm »

On the page that comes up there will be a big version of the picture above which will be a number of icons, the third from the left says "resize". Click on it. You will get a list "Avatar (100 x 75)", "Thumbnail (160 x 120)", "Website, Email (320 x 240)", and "Message Board (640 x 480)", I recommend you click on "Message Board (640 x 480)". It will then ask you "Are you sure you want to do this?", click yes.

Actually, "Website, Email (320x480)" would probably be better for posting here at TC.  I know it says "Message Board", but 640x480 is a pretty darned big picture onscreen, especially if one does not have one's monitor set at a high resolution.

That said, that's a personal opinion and not necessarily a moderator call.  I don't think we've really had/enforced a policy about how big pictures in posts can be, but I do think (personally) that it's polite and wise to not let them get too big.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 27, 2008, 05:01:44 pm »

Actually, "Website, Email (320x480)" would probably be better for posting here at TC.  I know it says "Message Board", but 640x480 is a pretty darned big picture onscreen, especially if one does not have one's monitor set at a high resolution.

That said, that's a personal opinion and not necessarily a moderator call.  I don't think we've really had/enforced a policy about how big pictures in posts can be, but I do think (personally) that it's polite and wise to not let them get too big.

Ok, I'll do this in future.

Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 04, 2008, 05:50:45 pm »

I just tried to do as you said. I clicked on the IMG code and like you said a box said copied. Then I went to TC reply box on the test board and right clicked in the white box that looks just like the one i'm typing in now. A whole line of stuff came up like the address to the pic or something. I did not get the part about click where in the text you want your picture to be at all. When I clicked on preview the pic did show up but not in the box but above it and when I hit post I get red letters saying my time is up or something like that. So I figured the first try did take me a while so I did it again in just a few seconds and it said the same thing. Any more ideas. I know it's just me most likely but I have no one to show me how to do anything. I"m all alone with this. There is no one to show me anything. Jeez, this computer was new in the box for 8 months before someone came by who could help me set it up. I hate bothering you ppl with this stuff and I really hope you don't mind I'm doing it again. Thank you.
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 04, 2008, 05:55:38 pm »

[img](address)[/img]

Did that help at all?
Where is this address that photobucket gives you? Where do I find that? Is that what another poster I saw did to make the blue link to their pictures post? I would love to know how to do that. I just got done trying to do what Kasmira said to do. I got some of it but i couldn't get it completely as I described to her in a reply to this same post.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: February 05, 2008, 05:35:18 am »

Where is this address that photobucket gives you? Where do I find that? Is that what another poster I saw did to make the blue link to their pictures post? I would love to know how to do that. I just got done trying to do what Kasmira said to do. I got some of it but i couldn't get it completely as I described to her in a reply to this same post.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to tell you to find it, as I don't use Photobucket myself.  Sad

It sounds to me like you had the process right in your response to Kasmira.  I'm not sure what went wrong; I've never seen a message about time being out before.  The only red lettering I've ever gotten was to tell me other people had replied while I was typing and I might want to review their reply before posting mine.  If it were a fairly active thread, though, it's possible you might get that message, and then get it again on the second try (because yet another reply had been posted while you were trying again)...

My best advice at this point would be to try again later using Kasmira's instructions.  Like I said, it sounds to me like you did it right, but maybe something just glitched somewhere...

The bit about "click where in the text you want the picture to be" was just telling you how to put the picture where you want it in the post.  Like if I wanted a picture before this paragraph, I'd click on the line above the paragraph at that point in the instructions, so that the cursor is where I want the picture to be.

I don't think any of us mind helping out, it just might take us a bit to find the right way to communicate this stuff.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 05, 2008, 07:37:10 am »

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to tell you to find it, as I don't use Photobucket myself.  Sad

It sounds to me like you had the process right in your response to Kasmira.  I'm not sure what went wrong; I've never seen a message about time being out before.  The only red lettering I've ever gotten was to tell me other people had replied while I was typing and I might want to review their reply before posting mine.  If it were a fairly active thread, though, it's possible you might get that message, and then get it again on the second try (because yet another reply had been posted while you were trying again)...

My best advice at this point would be to try again later using Kasmira's instructions.  Like I said, it sounds to me like you did it right, but maybe something just glitched somewhere...

The bit about "click where in the text you want the picture to be" was just telling you how to put the picture where you want it in the post.  Like if I wanted a picture before this paragraph, I'd click on the line above the paragraph at that point in the instructions, so that the cursor is where I want the picture to be.

I don't think any of us mind helping out, it just might take us a bit to find the right way to communicate this stuff.  Smiley
I was on that test board when I got the red letters. When you say click where you want the picture- I clicked just anywhere within the box just like the one I'm in now but the picture didn't appear there but way up above. I'll try on the test board again a bit later.
Athystle
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 05, 2008, 08:33:52 am »

I just tried it again on the test board thing. The red writing still comes up. It says- Your session timed out while posting.Please try to re-submit your message. Did all the same things I did before. Only took a few seconds.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: February 05, 2008, 08:34:59 am »

I was on that test board when I got the red letters. When you say click where you want the picture- I clicked just anywhere within the box just like the one I'm in now but the picture didn't appear there but way up above. I'll try on the test board again a bit later.

The picture will not actually appear in the edit box where you are typing. Instead you put the cursor where you want the image to appear and paste in the bbcode you copied from PB. The code will appear in you text. If you press the Preview button, your entire message (including the picture) should display in a preview box above the box where you enter text. You can scroll back down to the edit box to make changes. Press the post button when everything is how you want it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)