The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2022, 11:58:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2022, 11:58:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Medicinal High Blood Pressure Options  (Read 8569 times)
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 26, 2007, 10:01:56 pm »

So, the dr. has decided my blood pressure is too high.  Before I give in and let him prescribe something I'll be stuck with for a long time to come, I wonder if anyone has tried any alternative treatments that will help in lowering blood pressure.  I'm aware of the salt/fat/exercise aspects of this and am good on the first two.   Roll Eyes  And trying to work on the latter.  What else is there to check out and possibly add to my new regimen? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 26, 2007, 10:03:44 pm »

So, the dr. has decided my blood pressure is too high.  Before I give in and let him prescribe something I'll be stuck with for a long time to come, I wonder if anyone has tried any alternative treatments that will help in lowering blood pressure.  I'm aware of the salt/fat/exercise aspects of this and am good on the first two.   Roll Eyes  And trying to work on the latter.  What else is there to check out and possibly add to my new regimen? 

Stress reduction..I've found (and you probably already do it) meditation a great help in keeping the stress levels down.

Phouka
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: March 26, 2007, 10:06:53 pm »

Stress is the one that's getting Hubby, I think.  So--relax, relax, relax.  Meditation, make some of your exercise something relaxing like yoga, pet a cat, learn to let things go instead of letting them get under your skin or become obsessions, relax.

I'm very interested in any input anyone has as well.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 26, 2007, 11:26:47 pm »

Not just petting a cat, petting a dog or a bunny will work, too.  So will sitting quietly and watching an aquarium-- which is why so many doctors and dentists have them in their waiting areas.   Go outside and sit with your back against a mature tree.  Close your eyes, align your spine with the vertical trunk and listen to the tree as it lives.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 26, 2007, 11:33:36 pm »

What else is there to check out and possibly add to my new regimen? 

Have you looked into acupuncture and/or acupressure?  I don't know about high blood pressure, but I had great results with acupuncture for migraines.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 27, 2007, 11:36:22 am »

I've got an herbal formula I designed for my SO for his HBP/High cholesterol, I'd be happy to share if you're interested.  It's medicinal of course, just herbal medicine instead of allopathic, so I don't know I that's something you want.

There are other dietary changes you can make in addition to the low-salt diet.  This is my SO's regime:  Maintain a good level of potassium in you diet.  (Though be careful if you have kidney problems.)  Eat lots of garlic and cayenne pepper, too.  (Though to get enough cayenne, you'd probably need to take capsules.  Unless you really like the spicy food.)
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 27, 2007, 12:05:58 pm »

According to "Encyclopedia of natural Medicine" by Michael Murray, ND and Joseph Pizzorno, ND  (this is me covering my butt, b ut actually also what I take)

high potency multiple vitamin and mineral formula
vitamin C - 500 to 1000 mg 3 times per day
vitamin E 400 to 800 IU per day
Magnesium 800 to 1200 mg per day
garlic - the equivalent of 4000mg o fresh garlic per day
flaxseed oil 1 tsp per day
Coenzyme Q10 50 mg 2 to 3 times per day
hawthorne extract 100 to 250 mg 3 times per day
potassium - he says to get it through diet, but I also take 10 99 mg pills (the largets they make for stupid reasons) per day to make sure.

Also, according to Susun Weed in "New Menopause Years" ginseng is good for regulating blood pressure.  Everything else she talks about is kind of menopause specific (hardly surprising considering the name of the book).  If you could be in perimenopause, you might check her book out for the suggesstions.  Many things good for menopause also have an effect on blood presure.  And higher blood pressure can be part of menopause acording to her.

Good luck, and according to the first book, it can take 3 months to make a diference (he's including diet and exercise too, but you know about those)
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 27, 2007, 01:13:01 pm »

Also, according to Susun Weed in "New Menopause Years" ginseng is good for regulating blood pressure.
Curious.  All the sources that I have on ginseng (I'm at work and don't have any with me, but I can post later if requested) say it's contraindicated for High Blood Pressure.
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 27, 2007, 04:12:02 pm »

Curious.  All the sources that I have on ginseng (I'm at work and don't have any with me, but I can post later if requested) say it's contraindicated for High Blood Pressure.
I was surpried by it too.  But on pg 206 of the book I referenced she states "ginseng is well documented as a highly effective blood pressure regulator".  She is well respected in the field, but I would add the ginseng after seeing what your response to the rest is so that you can see if it works for you.  Besides - it's expensive!
Edith
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 02, 2011, 09:37:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 29, 2007, 01:13:27 pm »

You might to look and try the DASH diet. Here is the link : http://dashdiet.org/

With it, you can decrease your blood pressure significantly in only 2 weeks. And it's recommended by doctors and other medical professionals.
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 30, 2007, 08:02:33 am »

I am actually working on getting certified in accupressure. I do think accupressure treatments could help, but not remedy the problem. The treatments would have to be on a regular basis along with all the exercise, diet and so forth.

Have you looked into acupuncture and/or acupressure?  I don't know about high blood pressure, but I had great results with acupuncture for migraines.
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 30, 2007, 08:06:16 am »

Besides meditations, some lavendar oil (therapeutic grade) in your bath water could help some. Some essential oils should be avoided with high blood pressure, like rosemary. So verify with your doctor.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: March 30, 2007, 11:55:04 am »

Maintain a good level of potassium in you diet.  (Though be careful if you have kidney problems.) 

Do you (or anyone else) know where I might find some information on what foods would be high potassium?  Hubby's high blood pressure comes with the possibility of kidney problems, so I'm trying to find info on what he should be avoiding.  (Besides bananas.  I know that one.)  Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't seem to have potassium info listed on the packaging, and of course that's not even talking about fruit and veg that don't have packaging in the first place.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 30, 2007, 12:21:09 pm »

Do you (or anyone else) know where I might find some information on what foods would be high potassium?  Hubby's high blood pressure comes with the possibility of kidney problems, so I'm trying to find info on what he should be avoiding.  (Besides bananas.  I know that one.)  Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't seem to have potassium info listed on the packaging, and of course that's not even talking about fruit and veg that don't have packaging in the first place.  Wink

ta da!  National kidney foundation!  http://www.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=103

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: March 30, 2007, 12:27:30 pm »

ta da!  National kidney foundation!  http://www.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=103

*blinkstare*

Geez.  Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks.  Grin

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)