The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 09, 2020, 08:40:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 09, 2020, 08:40:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starting A Pagan-Awareness Group @ College...  (Read 2407 times)
Deaf.Witch
Last Login:January 28, 2008, 10:03:18 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 27, 2008, 06:09:45 pm »

If you read my introduction I may have mentioned that I have been asked to start up a Pagan-awareness group...

So I'm coming to all of you who have been involved in a Pagan Path and have learned over a period of time...

Any advice or suggestions on how I can raise the awareness capacity of this group. Yes we have a lot of Christian groups on campus, but before this semester there was an existing Wiccan organization.

So any advice/suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 27, 2008, 06:16:58 pm »

If you read my introduction I may have mentioned that I have been asked to start up a Pagan-awareness group...

So I'm coming to all of you who have been involved in a Pagan Path and have learned over a period of time...

Any advice or suggestions on how I can raise the awareness capacity of this group. Yes we have a lot of Christian groups on campus, but before this semester there was an existing Wiccan organization.

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of to raise awarness is just put up a load of flyers, around campus, advertise online at your uni, perhaps do publ;ic speaking events about paganisim?  Sorry that my reply is not that great.

Only suggestion really  is that I have is make it clear that it is a pagan group not a wiccan one, that it encourages all different kinds of pagans.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 27, 2008, 06:54:47 pm »

Thanks!

Sometimes the beginning of fall semester is the best time to get group awareness.  At MSU we have something called 'Party at the Aud' (auditorium) every year right before classes start.  All the different student clubs and organizations have a booth set up.

If your group is registered with the university, you should show up in their list of students organizations, and they could even link to your website.

Put up flyers at your local new-age store, bookstore, and co-op.

Remember that if anyone disrupts your meetings, try to get their name and what group they are from.  At least on our campus, disrupting a meeting is in violation of a number of different campus ordinances (discrimination, harrassement, and just the act of being disruptive).  If the disrupter is from another campus organization, that organization can get into major trouble.  The individual too.  Harrassement is simply not tolerated. 

MSU's pagan club has regular meetings, mostly of a social nature.  Sometimes they bring in speakers on different topics, which seems rather interesting.  I don't go to their meetings because I feel old and out-of-place.  Wink  But I think it's a great idea. 

If you want to check out how they're doing it, their website is: www.msupagans.com

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 27, 2008, 11:42:33 pm »

The only thing I can think of to raise awarness is just put up a load of flyers, around campus, advertise online at your uni, perhaps do publ;ic speaking events about paganisim?  Sorry that my reply is not that great.

Only suggestion really  is that I have is make it clear that it is a pagan group not a wiccan one, that it encourages all different kinds of pagans.

One might also include the "nothing like Wiccan" ones, so as not to be flummoxed when the odd Odinist or Reconstuctionist drops by.

Poor Deaf.Witch.  Things always get a lot more complicated in practiceWink

Brina
Deaf.Witch
Last Login:January 28, 2008, 10:03:18 am

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 28, 2008, 10:00:10 am »

One might also include the "nothing like Wiccan" ones, so as not to be flummoxed when the odd Odinist or Reconstuctionist drops by.

Poor Deaf.Witch.  Things always get a lot more complicated in practiceWink

Brina

LOL... poor me? Nah I'm fine...

I think I will call it (if I get agreement) "Sacred Milestones" and let it be for every path to learn about Paganism/Wicca/Witchcraft...

It'll be more like a learning group.
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 28, 2008, 11:00:08 am »

My university had a couple of pagan groups.  The "general" pagan group would have workshops on various topics and religions, and had members who were Wiccan, druids, Buddhists, atheists, etc.  This group did not have actual rituals or ceremonies, it was more workshop oriented and social.

The Wiccan group had actual rituals and ceremonies.  And of course it's main focus was on Wicca, and it didn't delve into topics un-related.

A lot of the membership overlapped between the two groups - which had its benefits.

Advertisement of these groups was pretty similar to how other student groups advertised - flyers, emails, etc.  We just made sure to be very specific in the descriptions of our groups, so people wouldn't be confused as to which group did what. 

Other events or activities you could try out could be candle sales, tarot readings, etc. on campus.  Those kind of things seemed to go over well on our campus.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 28, 2008, 07:37:43 pm »

LOL... poor me? Nah I'm fine...

Well, sure you are...now.  Talk to us again when you're six months in.  Wink

Seriously, I wish you all the luck in the world, but do your best to foresee the potential pitfalls before they bite you in zee butt. Cheesy

brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)