The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 04:55:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 04:55:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge: Right or Wrong?  (Read 23639 times)
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 29, 2008, 09:04:17 pm »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 29, 2008, 09:25:36 pm »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

I've always had more of "an eye for an eye" mentality than "turn the other cheek."  If someone wrongs me I wouldn't hesitate to get my revenge.  I would make the individual suffer about the same amount that I did.  I wouldn't ask a god to do it for me.  I would ask them for strength and guidance in seeking vengeance but never dump it into their hands.  When it comes to revenge it is best if made by hand and served cold.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 29, 2008, 09:41:37 pm »

I believe in justice, not revenge, necessarily. (To me, the difference is justice is something fair and deserved, maybe even necessary, and revenge goes above and beyond that.)

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 29, 2008, 09:55:34 pm »

I'll say that it would depend on the situation, and what the individual was doing. i do subscribe somewhat to the eye for an eye theory, but I refuse to stoop to the level some people on this planet stoop to. I'll give as good as I get to a point.

Besides, sometimes if someone wrongs me, and I can quite clearly see that they are in the process of putting their foot in it and having it all come back to bite them, so it's much easier to sit back and watch the entertainment.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 29, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »

I believe in justice, not revenge, necessarily. (To me, the difference is justice is something fair and deserved, maybe even necessary, and revenge goes above and beyond that.)

And this was probably the point I was looking for - When I say I believe in eye for an eye up to a point, that point would be where justice is seen to have been served.

(why did the word justice not enter my mind earlier?)

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 29, 2008, 10:20:06 pm »

IMHO, it depends on the situation and what will be best, both for you and others in general. Revenge (or even justice) can be sweet, but if you can;'t get it in a reasonable time it can often be best (for yourself) if you just forgive and forget rather than let something fester for months or even years.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
GreyWolf
Apprentice
Last Login:February 20, 2009, 11:12:23 pm

Religion: When I figure that out, I'll get back to you.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 29, 2008, 10:24:40 pm »

Maybe it was my Christian background, but I have more of the "forgive and forget" mentality. I mean, if it were serious then I would seek justice, but for something trivial, I have faith that karma will come back to haunt them in the end.

LIVE life passionately. LAUGH until your belly hurts. LOVE unconditionally.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 30, 2008, 08:14:13 am »

I'm with Dania - justice is good, revenge for the sake of revenge, not so much.

Of course, I'm the sort of person that's much happier to just avoid people that hurt me whenever possible.  I like to hermit. Cheesy  So, hurt me and I just back away.

of course, hurt my son and I will destroy everything you hold dear, but I recognize that that's not exactly a rational response. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 30, 2008, 09:31:49 am »

I'm certainly not a 'turn the other cheek' person.  I'm more of a 'return it 10 times more' person.  Vengence is certainly the way to go.  However, it really does depend on what.  Something that one person perceives as an insult or attack, may not even be noticed by another.  So while I am definitely a vengence where vengence is due, that is only in such a vague question.  I would need a specific case to decide what is right.

As for the Gods.  I have never bothered them, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't.  It certainly wouldn't be for anything petty...
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 30, 2008, 09:38:34 am »

I have asked myself this question so many times. I haven't been able to answer it correctly yet, but what I think right now, is that I'm not a very forgiving person. No, that's not it. I sometimes forgive, but it is hard for me to forget.

Following the norse gods, I'm not used to turn the other cheek. If I just let someone hurt me, it would be a shame to me. I don't go to the gods for it, I do it myself. What do I do? Get as far away from the person who hurts me as possible. Also, in the very moment I'm being hurt, I try to hurt back. I can't help it. I don't know if it's right or wrong, I just fight back as much as I can.

Selegna.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: January 30, 2008, 11:00:48 am »

Justice is everyone getting what they deserve--what they really and truly deserve, not necessarily what you think they "should" deserve.  (And, also, "everyone" includes yourself, not just the person what done you wrong.)  Revenge is making them hurt like you hurt, or sometimes worse than you hurt, whether they really deserve it or not.  Justice is neutral, in my personal lexicon; revenge is malicious.

I'm with you; I go for justice rather than revenge.  Revenge may feel good sometimes, but I always wind up regretting anything I do with malicious intent, no matter how good it might have felt at the time.  And it usually doesn't, to me, anyway.  It doesn't even hit the moral level for me, although my conclusions would likely be the same there anyway; I just can't stand myself like that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 30, 2008, 12:17:04 pm »

Justice is everyone getting what they deserve--what they really and truly deserve, not necessarily what you think they "should" deserve.  (And, also, "everyone" includes yourself, not just the person what done you wrong.)  Revenge is making them hurt like you hurt, or sometimes worse than you hurt, whether they really deserve it or not.  Justice is neutral, in my personal lexicon; revenge is malicious.

You're right- and often it's very difficult to seperate between what they truly deserve and what you want them to deserve. Hence, that's why I *try* and not think about serving them either justice or revenge, I just tell myself that karma will give them their just desserts. It's the only way I can stop it from playing on my mind.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 30, 2008, 12:26:35 pm »

Interesting responses Cheesy

I'm with Dania - justice is good, revenge for the sake of revenge, not so much.

Of course, I'm the sort of person that's much happier to just avoid people that hurt me whenever possible.  I like to hermit. Cheesy  So, hurt me and I just back away.

of course, hurt my son and I will destroy everything you hold dear, but I recognize that that's not exactly a rational response. Cheesy

If other people hurt me, generally I with draw in to my shell, or take it out on myself.  But there are times when I am more like HeartShadow i.e. you hurt some one I love and I will be the black hole to my enemies’ sun.  I don’t always go for revenge only when I feel the person deserves it.

Probably why vengeance can be so bad is that the short term feelings it brings (satisfaction is a big one) can be addictive.  As well as touching on what RandallS said is that vengeful feelings can really act like poison if allowed to go on for a long time.  In my opinion just letting go of the feelings is the right course to take and forgiveness is not necessarily the way to go. 

In my opinion revenge can be acted out positively.  For example I can remember a guy broke up with me in a very humiliating way.  I wanted revenge to hurt him (like I was hurt really.  In part so that he would know what it would feel like and never do something like that to another person).  I did this by pouring all my energy in to making my life better: all aspects of it. My intention was to hurt him by show him that I was much better of with out him and to show him he missed on a good thing, to flaunt how great my life was.  “Living well is the best revenge.”  Once I get satisfaction I usually just move on. 

I'm with you; I go for justice rather than revenge.  Revenge may feel good sometimes, but I always wind up regretting anything I do with malicious intent, no matter how good it might have felt at the time.  And it usually doesn't, to me, anyway.  It doesn't even hit the moral level for me, although my conclusions would likely be the same there anyway; I just can't stand myself like that.

The big downside is what Star posted that revenge is malicious, there have been times when I did something I immediately regretted once my is head cleared.  Though thinking about it revenge does not always have malicious or premeditated intent, it can be just a reflex action.  Sometimes revenge is used to, in part stop the hurting of the wronged party and empower them, nothing is worse than feeling like a helpless victim.  I see revenge as acting out justice (I see justice as a form of revenge, making sure that pay back is given its due and that it doesn’t get so out of hand).

I do have the attitude that Funky Demon has sometimes (if it’s a major hurt committed to me) by hurting the person ten fold.  I believe that some times you have to show the offender(s) that you will not just lie there and take it.  A person may think twice after pay back.  The only down side is that you can’t take the moral high ground.

Though revenge is not always about getting even. Some times it can be a way of showing a person how much they have hurt you, by hurting them back a little bit.  That can be enough for them to see how they have wronged you. 

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Noctiluca
Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 05:23:34 pm
Iceland Iceland

Religion: Heathen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 31, 2008, 08:52:54 am »

As I am not Wiccan, but a Heathen Witch practicing Icelandic folk magic and very influenced by Ásatrú, and I honor the Gods of Ásatrú, I have a different view of revenge than Wiccans. I think it's alright when justified. For an example, I do not think revenge is justified if a person said something bad about you to your friends. I think that's a minor problem that is easily solved. However if a person does something more to you, I'll take some examples; cheats on you, hurts you physically or mentally, rapes/abuses you, hurts your family, attacks you, etc, then I think revenge is justified.

In Ásatrú and my Craft, there is no "turn the other cheek" idea. You have to fend for yourself and your Family, but must always be responsible for your actions! So, I will rightfully revenge something, but I won't go further than the person already did, because then I would be doing unnecessary bad, and have to take responsibility for that.

"Pain asks not to be worshiped. It asks to be faced, lived through and learned from"
RedWolf
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 10:15:39 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 01, 2008, 08:31:09 am »

Hello,

Interesting topic.

I am, by my nature, inclined to want to "pay back".
However, it is clear to me now, that the Goddess is jealous of Her Right to be the one to exact revenge. If I am wronged, I find if I merely sit back and "wish" the Goddess avenge me, She will.
I've found that if I try to do more on a physical or personal level, there is always some sort of backlash. 

When giving the Karma Wagon a shove so it will flatten someone, it is likely to run over your foot in the process. Wink

"Consider yourself cursed: You will never find true happiness. Women will find you contemptible; men will think you a bore. "

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)