The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 03:39:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 03:39:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge: Right or Wrong?  (Read 23794 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 01, 2008, 11:00:57 am »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.
 Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

Wow, this is a good one.  This is something I have been giving a lot of thought to lately.

I don't really like revenge, because I see it as cause for so much misery in the world. Group A does something to group B, then group B does something to group A, then then group A does something back, then group B does something back, and it keeps going on generation after generation.   Cry

I think the old "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord" kind of thing might be the right way to go. Karma or Ma'at is at work all the time trying to balance things out. Instead of trying to correct things yourself, it may be better to bring your problem to the attention of the Gods and let them deal with it if and when they choose to. If order and balance are to be maintained I think they would know best how to do this.

As a matter of fact, this very thing happened to me recently, where I had to decide on taking action myself or taking it to the Gods.  A friend of mine had experienced misfortune because of the actions of another. I was so very angry, I really really really wanted to put a curse on the one responsible. I knew exactly what I thought would be a fitting punishment for this person, it was very specific and out of the ordinary.

But, I didn't cast the spell for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I was worried about backlash because it would be a spell of great magnitude. Secondly it really wasn't my fight, it was my friends (who happens to be a devout Christian).

So, instead of casting a spell myself, I took it to the fates. It was sort of like - hey, if you think this is fitting, here is my idea. Well, that very night exactly what I wanted to happen did. Instant Karma or accidental curse? I am still not sure.  But, I honestly don't think that I alone could have pulled off such a feat.  Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 01, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »

I think the old "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord" kind of thing might be the right way to go. Karma or Ma'at is at work all the time trying to balance things out. Instead of trying to correct things yourself, it may be better to bring your problem to the attention of the Gods and let them deal with it if and when they choose to. If order and balance are to be maintained I think they would know best how to do this.

Yes, this is my experience. I don't have any way of knowing all the many elements in play, so I turn to whoever seems the best One(s) to discuss it with, and do what is suggested. Which has generally involved work I need to do on myself, or protection of some kind. That's it. One of my favorite old saws is that holding a resentment is like taking poison and expecting it to kill the other person.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 01, 2008, 11:56:38 pm »

One of my favorite old saws is that holding a resentment is like taking poison and expecting it to kill the other person.

Love it. Gotta remember that one!

I am, by my nature, inclined to want to "pay back".
However, it is clear to me now, that the Goddess is jealous of Her Right to be the one to exact revenge. If I am wronged, I find if I merely sit back and "wish" the Goddess avenge me, She will.
I've found that if I try to do more on a physical or personal level, there is always some sort of backlash. 
When giving the Karma Wagon a shove so it will flatten someone, it is likely to run over your foot in the process. Wink

Oh, yes. Totally agree. I think revenge is the territory of the Gods and they get ticked off at the lowly humans interfering in their business. They will have no problem at all giving you a good case of magic backlash to put you in your place.  Grin

I bet it has happened that sometimes you don't even have to "wish"?  No doubt you are being protected, and she doesn't take kindly to those who treat her devoted one badly.
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #18: February 02, 2008, 06:27:13 am »

Frankly, speaking as a Kemetic, I think you totally just totally missed the point of ma'at. It is *our* responsibility to uphold ma'at - to not only act in accordance with ma'at ourselves, but to intervene where she is being offended. The upholding of ma'at is our primary offering to the Netjeru, it is how we feed Their kas, more than any other offering you might make. Ma'at isn't some force trying to balance things, it is a state that we should strive for in order to make the world function the best way it can.

Frankly, as a devotee of Sekhmet and Ma'at, primarily, I'd consider it downright stupid to bring issues of ma'at to the Netjeru for solving without having done my damndest to resolve things myself. After all, trying to dump my responsibilities on others isn't exactly ma'at either.

As a more general response to the thread, coming from the above perspective: we all have a responsibility to ma'at, and so if you act against me, I do have an obligation to respond to that. Matter of fact, if you act against Joe Q. Random on the street and I have the ability to interfere, I have an obligation to act. It's not a matter of satisfying my own desires, it's a matter of helping society run well, which also means that while I have to act, I also have to keep my actions in line with what is reasonable. Again: justice rather than revenge.

--Chabas
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 02, 2008, 09:47:46 am »

It is *our* responsibility to uphold ma'at - to not only act in accordance with ma'at ourselves, but to intervene where she is being offended. The upholding of ma'at is our primary offering to the Netjeru, it is how we feed Their kas, more than any other offering you might make. Ma'at isn't some force trying to balance things, it is a state that we should strive for in order to make the world function the best way it can.
{snippage for space}

I'm not Kemetic, I'm BTW, but I see some significant congruence, here.

As a Wiccan, people are constantly throwing the Rede and the Law of Returns at me, assuming that they mean I have to be passive and let people hurt me and mine.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Like a Kemetic who honors ma'at, the traditional Wiccan recognizes that all actions cause harm and the Rede is just a little koan we use to remind ourselves to pay attention to the consequences of what we do.

My sig line used to contain a line from a Rush song called, "Free Will" -- the line was something like, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."  That means that action and inaction are choices for which we are equally responsible. 

That means that, as a Wiccan, I cannot allow harm to be done by others without taking steps to mitigate it if it is within my power and my area of responsibility.  I cannot be responsible for everyone everywhere; in that way lies madness.  But harm me or mine, and I will, at the very least, invoke Justice, which might mean calling the police, and might mean taking more personal action.  My actions might be magical or mundane, or both. 

The Law of Returns reminds us that everything we do (which includes doing nothing) has repercussions that will come back on us.  Ignore a cry for help and find oneself without aid when one needs it.  Allow harm to be done to another and find others allowing harm to be done to you. 

That's no way to live. 

Possibly literally.

One of my favorite quotations is the one from Edmund Burke that reminds us that "...all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Doing nothing is not an acceptable option; pretending that passivity is a moral choice is cowardice.  Trying and failing despite an honest effort is more to be admired than refusing to try, which is despicable.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 02, 2008, 10:07:25 am »

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."  That means that action and inaction are choices for which we are equally responsible. 

This remindes me of my sister-in-law who couldn't decide to have a fourth child or not. She said she wasn't trying to get pregnant, but wasn't trying not to either.   Wink

The Law of Returns reminds us that everything we do (which includes doing nothing) has repercussions that will come back on us.  Ignore a cry for help and find oneself without aid when one needs it.  Allow harm to be done to another and find others allowing harm to be done to you. 

Yep, agreed.  There is a difference between protecting yourself and loved ones and seeking revenge though. I have no problem at all with going to any lengths to protect myself and family, but wanting revenge can sometimes be just downright petty, depending on the circumstances.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 02, 2008, 11:04:09 am »

Frankly, speaking as a Kemetic, I think you totally just totally missed the point of ma'at. It is *our* responsibility to uphold ma'at - to not only act in accordance with ma'at ourselves, but to intervene where she is being offended. The upholding of ma'at is our primary offering to the Netjeru, it is how we feed Their kas, more than any other offering you might make. Ma'at isn't some force trying to balance things, it is a state that we should strive for in order to make the world function the best way it can.
Frankly, as a devotee of Sekhmet and Ma'at, primarily, I'd consider it downright stupid to bring issues of ma'at to the Netjeru for solving without having done my damndest to resolve things myself. After all, trying to dump my responsibilities on others isn't exactly ma'at either.

Obviously we are separated by demominational differences.  Cheesy

The way I see it is that Ma'at is at work on all the various levels of existence.  We strive to keep ourselves balanced mentally, physically and spiritually. We want to keep harmony with our friends and family while we try to balance work and the pressures of day to day life. We also want to find our place in the world and how we can help or make a difference. We struggle with balancing our human needs with those of the environment.  In these ways we are upholding Ma'at.

But, Ma'at doesn't need us all the time. Ma'at is an energy force (deity) all her own, with or without us. For example, we may not understand the reason for a natural disaster or how the Earth is balancing itself with such an action. But we know we are needed in the aftermath to help those who may now need assistance in finding shelter or medical attention.

There have been times in my life when I think - why did this have to happen? Only to dicsover the reason later. Sometimes X & Y have to happen in order for Z follow, but we cannot always see this.

So, getting back to revenge. Revenge, is usually a desire to "get even" where you are letting your emotions and anger get the best of you. It may not necessarily be the best course of action for a situation. In the case of my friend who was unjustly terminated from his job, putting a revenge curse on the boss really wouldn't help at all. Except to make us feel better that the boss was now suffering too - pretty petty when it comes down to it.  A better way to uphold Ma'at here would be to help my friend find a new job and offer support however he may need it. But, bringing the situation to the attention of Ma'at, by saying, here's what happened, we think this guy needs to learn a lesson, you are still upholding Ma'at by asking the deity to work within the framework of an order that is unseen and unknown to you.

So, hopefully that explains how I see it anyway.
Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Kemetic