The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 04:36:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 04:36:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge: Right or Wrong?  (Read 23188 times)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #45: February 23, 2008, 04:40:24 am »

I always say Karma will come back.To send out something bad,it will come back to you.I feel the spiritual world will take care of the order of things.

I'm not sure I can see any evidence that the spiritual world has been taking care of anything. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #46: February 23, 2008, 12:56:50 pm »

I'm not sure I can see any evidence that the spiritual world has been taking care of anything. Smiley

Possibly b/c you're an atheist? Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: February 23, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »

Interesting theory.  Sadly doesn't account for why I never saw that when I *wasn't* an atheist, mind. Wink

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #48: February 23, 2008, 04:15:04 pm »

Or he's an atheist b/c he hasn't found such evidence?  Cause and effect, chicken and egg, etc.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #49: February 23, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »

Or he's an atheist b/c he hasn't found such evidence?  Cause and effect, chicken and egg, etc.

Absent

oh I know. My brother is an atheist. We have been enjoying this particular argument for years Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Noctiluca
Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 05:23:34 pm
Iceland Iceland

Religion: Heathen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: February 24, 2008, 05:49:35 pm »

I am not an atheist, but I do agree with him. Maybe it's that I am not "religious enough" or whatever, but I most certainly do not believe that karma, or the spiritual world, takes care of things. I take care of things myself.

"Pain asks not to be worshiped. It asks to be faced, lived through and learned from"
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: February 24, 2008, 06:30:54 pm »

Well, I don't believe in karma either.  Seen to much to prove otherwise.
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: February 24, 2008, 06:59:28 pm »

Well, I don't believe in karma either.  Seen to much to prove otherwise.

To me Karma is just action and cause, rather than having anything to do with something being good or bad.  If its warm your hot and start to sweat.  Karma. 

I think its simplifying the universe way way too much by saying if you do good stuff, good will come back to you: "the road to hell is payved with good intentions".  A lot of shitty things in this world is caused by people trying to make the world a "better place" rather than intentionally trying to screw things up.

Personally I don't think the universe runs on moral bribery.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #53: February 24, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »

I think its simplifying the universe way way too much by saying if you do good stuff, good will come back to you: "the road to hell is payved with good intentions".  A lot of shitty things in this world is caused by people trying to make the world a "better place" rather than intentionally trying to screw things up.

Personally I don't think the universe runs on moral bribery.

Well said. To me, karma is more about natural and logical consequences of spiritual actions. It isn't about punishment or reward.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: February 25, 2008, 01:49:35 pm »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

I soooo turn the other cheek.  I have no problem loving my neighbor and have rarely even contemplated revenge.  Many times my husband and I have argued because I try to see things from the other person's perspective.  Sure that lady cut us off but... maybe she's on the way to the hospital because her child was in an accident.  Yea, that neighbor was rather sarcastic when offering to fix our lawn mower (which wasn't broken) but... he does have a point about our foot long grass growing in the backyard.  It is the source of much contention especially with my husband who thinks that it is his job to judge everyone else's choices and who takes everything very personally. 

Unlike my husband, I try not to judge anyone too quickly.  When I was dating, I always went on a second date just in case the person was having a bad day the first time, or was nervous, or whatever.  I believe most people are naturally good and don't go out of their way to be mean or hateful.  I have a very "grey" view of this world.  There are very few things which are "black or white" to me.  The world is full of constantly shifting shades of light and dark.

I know there are a lot of people who wonder how could anyone not go after someone who has hurt you and yours. Thank the Gods I haven't had anything bad happen to my children, but I can totally relate to those stories of people whose children have been murdered and they've been able to forgive the person who did it.  I can't imagine not being able to forgive since I don't know what is going on inside anyone else.  I know it would take time and, at first, I would just want to hurt the person like they hurt me, but, for my own sanity and the good of those around me, I would need to forgive.  It comes down to the statement that "I can't control what other people do, I can only control my own actions and reactions".

This has been a problem for me in my search for a path.  Genetically, I feel pulled to the celtic/norse religions, yet, I don't feel like these views of mine fit in with what I've read. 

Thanks for letting me share my view.

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #55: February 25, 2008, 07:46:04 pm »

This has been a problem for me in my search for a path.  Genetically, I feel pulled to the celtic/norse religions, yet, I don't feel like these views of mine fit in with what I've read.

I have a similar problem with some of those systems. That's why I had to make up my own thing Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: March 15, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

I dont believe in turning the other cheek, but I also found revenge sometimes leaves a big, unsatisfied hole in your personal web of creating good things for yourself.
So, I use it moderately and only to teach the wrongdoer a lesson that is beneficial to us both. I believe in "win-win"-outcomes as far as I can control it myself. Pure anger, on the other hand, I usually pour out with generosity. (I also believe holding back rightful anger makes you sick in the end)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:54:12 pm by Whiterabbit » Logged
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #57: March 17, 2008, 03:49:33 pm »

This greatly depends on the wrong done to me or mine.  Somethings I will forgive, others have harsh words for, and if they have hurt my family or myself make them pay dearly for.  I do not go to my gods for something so menial as revenge.  It happens to be a matter between myself and another person, which would not involve me going to the Gods/desses for anything. 

Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: March 17, 2008, 07:41:03 pm »

personally i believe that sometimes revenge is necessary to restore honour.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today
zeus0
Last Login:March 29, 2008, 07:31:43 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: March 28, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »

if someone wrong me or hurt me I let the universe do it for me, remerber, harm none do what you will...not all Pagans/Wiccans go by the rede though.

it sickens me that someone go out of there way to hurt a person for no reason, what a world that we live in eh?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)