The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 04:07:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 04:07:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge: Right or Wrong?  (Read 23275 times)
saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: March 28, 2008, 06:05:18 pm »

*OP*

Personally I don't believe in "an eye for an eye"... not even poking. Tongue

Baba Nam Kevalam.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #61: March 28, 2008, 07:06:37 pm »

Personally I don't believe in "an eye for an eye"... not even poking. Tongue

This I cannot agree with.  Some of the time maybe.

Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: March 28, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »

There is a quote that helps me lose my desire for revenge, but I cannot remember who said it first:

"The best revenge is to live well."

This is my view on the subject as well, generally. I tend to anger easily about certain things, and if I were to seek revenge for every perceived slight, I'd be uselessly busy for a very long time.

There is, I think, a line, which varies from person to person, which once crossed invites some kind of more concrete revenge.
ShadowSabal
Apprentice
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 09:09:24 pm

Religion: Deism-

Sometimes I wonder, what's this life for?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: March 31, 2008, 02:42:24 am »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

Fair Evening,

Perhaps my take on the topic of "revenge" is a bit... biased, considering I am a diagnosed Sociopath. If someone actually manages to piss me off, I try to kill them. Of course it takes a considerable amount to make me mad. However if someone wrongs me, I generally reveal a piece of information that will destroy them emotionally and their reputation. I tend to know a lot more about people than I should, and I save each piece of information until the proper moment.

I would provide some religious viewpoint on revenge, but I don't have a religion. So all I can provide is the personal view on it that I gave.

-Cyril Keir

~Oh how I wish, for soothing rain
~All I wish is to dream again
~My loving heart, lost in the dark
~For hope I'd give my everything
saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: March 31, 2008, 04:39:23 am »

This I cannot agree with.  Some of the time maybe.
Generally, I'll be thinking about what I've done to provoke... whatever... to be honest.
Revenge doesn't really enter into my calculations. Not to present myself as some kind of infallible humanitarian figure; I'm just a fairly timid person, as things go, and I'd prefer not to provoke rather than have to deal with retribution... if someone's being a dick or I know I'm going to have a problem, I'll just avoid them Embarrassed.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #65: March 31, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »

Perhaps my take on the topic of "revenge" is a bit... biased, considering I am a diagnosed Sociopath. If someone actually manages to piss me off, I try to kill them.

I do hope you are under treatment for that condition. Otherwise, it is likely to end you up in trouble with law someday. Sad Few people, after all, truly deserve death for upsetting someone. No matter how much we might think they do when we are angry at them.

However if someone wrongs me, I generally reveal a piece of information that will destroy them emotionally and their reputation.

That's better than killing them, I suppose. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #66: March 31, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »

Generally, I'll be thinking about what I've done to provoke... whatever... to be honest.
Revenge doesn't really enter into my calculations. Not to present myself as some kind of infallible humanitarian figure; I'm just a fairly timid person, as things go, and I'd prefer not to provoke rather than have to deal with retribution... if someone's being a dick or I know I'm going to have a problem, I'll just avoid them Embarrassed.

I can understand that point of view because my wife's attitude is very similar to yours.  I see it as if someone does something, whether words or action, it can require revenge.  There are different ways to get your revenge obviously, but there are so many things that need to be taken into consideration it actually works out to be bigger headache than it worth most of the time.  

ShadowSabal
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: March 31, 2008, 05:57:44 pm »

I do hope you are under treatment for that condition. Otherwise, it is likely to end you up in trouble with law someday. Sad Few people, after all, truly deserve death for upsetting someone. No matter how much we might think they do when we are angry at them.

Although it takes an immense effort on their part to actually make me mad. Because of the way my mind works, I almost never get mad/offended by anyone, because I simply do not care. I've only been mad to that point 3 times before.

-Cyril Keir

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #68: March 31, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »

I've only been mad to that point 3 times before.

As you are still free and posting, I assume that you didn't actually kill anyone even if you thought they deserved it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sara Beth
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2008, 05:37:04 pm

Religion: kitchen witchery / studying wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: April 01, 2008, 02:13:03 am »

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge?

I haven't read through all the pages, so forgive me if I repeat what others have said.  My moral compass is guided firmly by karma.  Three times bad and three times good -- or whatever cute phrase you want to use to say that a) bringing revenge on someone else will not make you feel much better in the long run, and b) they'll get what's coming to them.
Chaotic Equilibrium
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2008, 07:18:42 am

Religion: Discordianism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: April 01, 2008, 09:07:05 am »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

Neither. Paradoxical answer? Perhaps.

To accept the question one must believe in right and wrong. In order for revenge to be existent, there must be a wrong in the first place that is done to exact said revenge upon.

The reasons why right and wrong can not exist?
To accept right and wrong one must first accept the self. The self as we know it is a fallacy created by our mindset. Within my own understandings, the true being that is you, or I, is the organism that exists without the knowledge of itself. That which continues without understanding or thought. Perhaps a better term would be order.

To elaborate; you can feel your breath when you inhale. The conscious knowledge of your breathing is there. This is the self, the 'ego' if you will. This is the understanding of breathing that it holds, that feeling that one exhibits when they consciously inhale. However we breathe all the time, we are forever breathing, in sleep in mindset of alternative things. That is the true self, the absence of the ego, of the conscious acknowledgement. That is the true self, that which continues without knowledge of itself. Without the awareness.

I know this sounds like a massive tangent but bare with me...

Now that we understand the self a little better, we continue to elaborate. If the true self is that which exists without knowledge of itself. Then the understandings are not bound within the physical body that is what we consider ourselves. The entombment of that concept is brought on directly by the self. That we are what the conscious knowledge, the self understands as us. The reality of the understanding of our selves breaks this order, this constraint and releases our existence into everything. Just as our selves are a part of the air that is a part of our on going existence, then to is everything else, as such the connectivity of everything brought on by the self pulls the understandings of everything into one.

This is where my point will start to be understood perhaps and my babbling will be relevant.

The understanding of the true self is that everything is one in a mirage of acknowledged thought that separates all. When this concept comes into play, right and wrong can not exist, due to the fact that everything is one and that our separate entities are merely concepts drawn by the ego. As such any wrong acts to that single self is just another illusion. That right and wrong are merely constraints that are brought on by the self acknowledged ego.

If these are just illusions, then just as that ego, they do not exist and right and wrong are merely parables to the singular entity that is all. Everything being one, can not possibly do right nor wrong to itself, only alter itself in one mannerism or another.

Now that right and wrong are gone, then 'revenge.' Can not be possible, for again it is merely an acceptable understanding by the self acknowledged ego. Revenge can not exist, as with right or wrong, so neither can I seek revenge nor simply, turn the other cheek.

From a practical and perhaps physical perspective. I will not allow any to constrain me, from the choices that are made, whether that may be perceived as revenge or not, depicting the context that it is placed within; is up to whom perceives it.

I hope that was clear and not a complete mess... I'm not always brilliant at wording my feelings / thoughts.

Thank you.

When one realises that the more we know about the universe;
The more confused we seem to be.
It's perhaps time that we consider the fact;
That the universe, is smarter than we are.
ShadowSabal
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: April 01, 2008, 10:00:09 am »

As you are still free and posting, I assume that you didn't actually kill anyone even if you thought they deserved it.

Fortunately for my freedom's sake, someone was able to pull me off each time.

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: April 07, 2008, 11:10:13 pm »

For people who have a quick temper, there is always a problem.  If you were picked on when young by siblingor peers there can be a deep reservoir of anger.

I have to admit that twice I saw nothing but red and wouldhave killed, once a sargent and once a barracks mate.  Fortunately neither came to pass.  But it has taken many years to control my temper, but at least to the point of harming anyone it is controlled.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #73: April 07, 2008, 11:35:05 pm »

Well, if that floats your boat in real life, roll with it.

Me, I pay people the respect of perceiving them as individuals.  Wrongdoing is not only possible, it happens all the time.  The law, private actions, revenge itself, are all ways of maintaining the balance that I prefer to exist in the world, among all these separate beings.  Since we don't share thoughts and all have individual perceptions, any 'oneness' on some other level is irrelevant in day-to-day reality.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #74: April 08, 2008, 07:33:58 am »

Well, if that floats your boat in real life, roll with it.

Me, I pay people the respect of perceiving them as individuals.  Wrongdoing is not only possible, it happens all the time.  The law, private actions, revenge itself, are all ways of maintaining the balance that I prefer to exist in the world, among all these separate beings.  Since we don't share thoughts and all have individual perceptions, any 'oneness' on some other level is irrelevant in day-to-day reality.

Absent

*claps*

I DO believe that /at one level/ we're all part of the same greater Whole - but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when someone steps on my foot!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)