The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2020, 07:31:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 07:31:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge: Right or Wrong?  (Read 23064 times)
Eapoe2
Apprentice
Last Login:February 24, 2009, 10:43:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Unset...pagan/taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #75: April 08, 2008, 05:08:54 pm »

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

No.  That's the short answer for me.
I have been accused of being alot of things, but bleeding heart liberal is one that comes up the most....and I like it. Smiley

For me, I have 3 responses to wrong doing.

The first is if you should have the unfortunate experience of hurting someone I love.  For that I tend to become livid, I play out fantasies of putting people in their place through a variety of well placed "verbal barbs."  Of them realizing through my ranting what an awful person they are.  However, the few times I have tried these little fantasies in real life, that person seems not to give a good gosh darn what I have to say. Imagine that...I'm not that important to them.   Wink

So what I have come to do is not associate with those type of people, if they are willing to hurt those I love, I don't deserve that in my life.  So *poof* they no longer enter into my world.  ( I mean that existentially, not physically)

This is generally the response if someone hurts me as well, but first, I try to figure out why.  Because if it comes from a place of pain, and I can help, I do.  I'm extremely sensitive to others emotions, and can usually tell what place it comes from that they hurt me.  I offer help.  If my hand is slapped away, then *poof*

On a grander scale, those things that we already have rules and punishments in place for I.E. physical assault, any type of abuse, etc.  I believe that punishment should be faced.  But I also do not believe in pure evil.  I believe for them to have take that action, somewhere, we as a society failed that person.  This is not to say that they should not take responsiblity for their actions.  They did them and must live with the consequences, however, why did they do that?  Can we help them heal so they won't do it again, or at least manage their disease?  Can we use that to help those that may be caught in the same destructive path?  I believe it is our duty to find out, and help those that hurt us. 

Lastly....I never EVER EVER believe death is an appropriate punishment.  I just am not wired that way.  Death is the end of life, and should come to each person at it's time.  Who are we to suggest we know that time as humans? 

This has been your dose of bleeding heart liberalism for the week. Wink
-Carolyn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AsetAmitAb
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 04:14:12 pm

Religion: Stregha & Preistess of Isis

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #76: April 08, 2008, 09:04:48 pm »

No.  That's the short answer for me.
I have been accused of being alot of things, but bleeding heart liberal is one that comes up the most....and I like it. Smiley

For me, I have 3 responses to wrong doing.

The first is if you should have the unfortunate experience of hurting someone I love.  For that I tend to become livid, I play out fantasies of putting people in their place through a variety of well placed "verbal barbs."  Of them realizing through my ranting what an awful person they are.  However, the few times I have tried these little fantasies in real life, that person seems not to give a good gosh darn what I have to say. Imagine that...I'm not that important to them.   Wink

So what I have come to do is not associate with those type of people, if they are willing to hurt those I love, I don't deserve that in my life.  So *poof* they no longer enter into my world.  ( I mean that existentially, not physically)

This is generally the response if someone hurts me as well, but first, I try to figure out why.  Because if it comes from a place of pain, and I can help, I do.  I'm extremely sensitive to others emotions, and can usually tell what place it comes from that they hurt me.  I offer help.  If my hand is slapped away, then *poof*

On a grander scale, those things that we already have rules and punishments in place for I.E. physical assault, any type of abuse, etc.  I believe that punishment should be faced.  But I also do not believe in pure evil.  I believe for them to have take that action, somewhere, we as a society failed that person.  This is not to say that they should not take responsiblity for their actions.  They did them and must live with the consequences, however, why did they do that?  Can we help them heal so they won't do it again, or at least manage their disease?  Can we use that to help those that may be caught in the same destructive path?  I believe it is our duty to find out, and help those that hurt us. 

Lastly....I never EVER EVER believe death is an appropriate punishment.  I just am not wired that way.  Death is the end of life, and should come to each person at it's time.  Who are we to suggest we know that time as humans? 

This has been your dose of bleeding heart liberalism for the week. Wink
-Carolyn

Carolyn I agree with so much of what you said.  I  believe in Karma - what you deserve will be given to you.  I don't have to do it myself because I know Karma will take care of it.  If someone does something to me that is illegal then their consequences come from the justice system. 

son of dhamma
Permanently Banned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 12, 2011, 10:06:37 am

Religion: -

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #77: March 21, 2011, 06:59:49 pm »

Partly inspired by a thread were Hera was discussed got me wondering about how different pagans from different religions view the concept of revenge.

Do you think its right personally: to exact revenge? Or does any one follow the concept of turning the other cheek?  Does any one go to the gods for retribution such as Nemesis?  I appreciate any input.

For the reason that revenge is not helpful to either person but rather destructive and painful for both, it should be considered a wrong practice.  I think there is no need to turn the other check when you can leave or stop them with words and actions of kindness and humility.

-
rantynaru
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2011, 04:31:56 pm

Religion: agnostic
TCN ID: rantynaru

Blog entries (0)

Rani Johnson

Ignore
« Reply #78: April 23, 2011, 12:04:54 am »

Hello,

Interesting topic.

I am, by my nature, inclined to want to "pay back".
However, it is clear to me now, that the Goddess is jealous of Her Right to be the one to exact revenge. If I am wronged, I find if I merely sit back and "wish" the Goddess avenge me, She will.
I've found that if I try to do more on a physical or personal level, there is always some sort of backlash. 

When giving the Karma Wagon a shove so it will flatten someone, it is likely to run over your foot in the process. Wink
I like that image. Smiley
How would someone exact revenge for someone hurting you and messing with your family and friends???
Any easy spell suggestions?

I am a KHK. Ask me about it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)