The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 03:45:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 03:45:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: old school 'newbie'  (Read 3040 times)
Laurie Birdsong
Last Login:February 01, 2008, 12:31:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

peaceling

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 31, 2008, 11:41:40 am »

hello to all,
my name is laurie. i'm a life long pagan, born and raised. began practicing witchcraft in the early 80's, and was introduced to wicca by my uncle pat shortly there after. at the time there was not a whole lot of information readily available, so i would make trips to "the big city" (seattle) to get books, paraphernalia, and talk with people. i initiated myself into wicca in the mid/late 80's. i followed this path, solitary, for many years.

eventually this magickal mystery electromatic cyberstatic internetism concept was introduced to me, and of course the first thing i looked up was 'paganism'.... whoa! i was blown away. exstatic, even. thank.the.gods! i started posting on a message board that was on the witchvox.com site (it was called 'the magick beans' c. 1996, anybody?!) there were some power struggles, or something, so wren and fritz decided to take the boards down... heartbreaking. some of us moved to a new message board, but alas, it didn't have quite the same spirit, i don't know why... i started bopping around other forums, until one day i was alerted by a young witch that there was a person stealing my posts and offering them as his own on other message boards - i sleuthed and discovered that it was quite true, word for word (a "cut and paste" job!) i pretty much decided then and there that i didn't want to offer my thoughts on message boards anymore.

i joined a couple email lists, but around that time i was going through some very depressive stuff, so i withdrew entirely from the internet, isolating myself, and basically adding to my already inflated sense of feeling oh so alone in this great big huge universe.. i thought the gods had abandoned me, that i wasn't a good pagan/witch/wiccan/../../.... i fell off my broomstick, stepped off my path, closed my book of shadows. i also, at that time, had this idea that wicca had become just as dogmatic and commercial as any other "mainstream" religion, so i kind of disowned it.. (this is after having given newspaper interviews, and appearing on local television to discuss what it means to be a witch/wiccan, and dispell negative connotations, etceterats) ahem.

however, lately, i really feel that i have let myself and Themselves down in the worst way. so, i'm owning up to my actions, reactions, dissatisfactions and getting back on the path... with gusto, i might add.. which i did.

are you still with me? thank you.. only a little bit more to say in this intro and th... you still with me?!???

whatelse... i'm a life-long cancerian. i am a mother of 6 amazingly wonderful, beautiful, magickal kids, who just blow my mind - i love my children. i am also pregnant with another one, so it's a good thing i think so highly of them Wink i am married, oh wait, divorced, married, divorced, uh, married again.. and uhm divorced... yeah. well, i love my kids!

i have incredibly bad luck with cats. so, no familiars for this witch (i do have some fishyfamiliars.. but they don't react well to being put on my lap, and they have no sense of kitty wonder . fish+balls of yarn=boring!)

i play guitar, write poetry, draw, sing, dance, type 70 wpm, am proficcient at MS Word and HTML, have experience with some power tools, and cannot drive a stick. i don't mean to offend anyone with my lack of capitalizing my sentences. i tend to use a lot of ellipses... and "quotes."

i'm here to discuss paganism, witchcraft, life, hopes, fears, love.. to have fun, contribute, and hopefully to meet some kindred spirits!

gods, i feel like i'm leaving something out.... oh yeah! this one time at witch camp...

just kidding... i'm done for now.

"when i cannot sing my heart, i can only speak my mind..." john lennon

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 31, 2008, 11:45:17 am »

Welcome to The Cauldron! I hope that you will find the internet a little more *looks for word* friendly here than previously.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 31, 2008, 11:48:16 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 31, 2008, 11:55:10 am »

hello to all,
my name is laurie.

Welcome to The Cauldron, Laurie!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 31, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »

Welcome to The Cauldron. Smiley

On a side note, could you please use correct capitalization in your sentances? Without it, it makes it a bit harder for those of us on here with older eyes to make sense of the paragraphs and posts...there's no "clue" as to where a new sentance starts. Wink

Thank you.
Celtee,
Cauldron staff

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 31, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »

hello to all,

Welcome to TC!

i started posting on a message board that was on the witchvox.com site (it was called 'the magick beans' c. 1996, anybody?!) there were some power struggles, or something, so wren and fritz decided to take the boards down... heartbreaking.

To be honest, I think Fritz made the right decision. Running message boards right takes a LOT of time. They basically had a choice of devoting their lives to their message board or doing the rest of web site right. They selected what they considered most important and most interesting to them. WitchVox is still around and doing well after all these years. Given what I know of Fritz and Wren, had they not ended the message board they would have burned out and WitchVox would probably not be here today. I've been running or helping to run online discussion areas since the mid-1980s. Whil have a lot of experience, it is still very hard to avoid burnout.

some of us moved to a new message board, but alas, it didn't have quite the same spirit, i don't know why... i started bopping around other forums, until one day i was alerted by a young witch that there was a person stealing my posts and offering them as his own on other message boards - i sleuthed and discovered that it was quite true, word for word (a "cut and paste" job!) i pretty much decided then and there that i didn't want to offer my thoughts on message boards anymore.

Unfortunately, that happens a lot (my words have appeared attributed to many other people over the years) -- and the only way to prevent it is to never post anything anywhere on the Internet. I don't see that as a useful solution (as I like being on the Internet). When I discover people doing that, I will make a bit of effort to make them stop, but if it takes more that a bit, I just stop worrying about it. Different priorities.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:46:11 am by RandallS, Reason: Added bold not -- Thanks go to Star for noticing it was missing » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: February 01, 2008, 07:30:36 am »

Given what I know of Fritz and Wren, had they ended the message board they would have burned out

Randallism?  I think you're missing a "not" between "they" and "ended" there...  ("Had they not ended", not "had they ended"?)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 01, 2008, 08:44:19 am »

Randallism?  I think you're missing a "not" between "they" and "ended" there...  ("Had they not ended", not "had they ended"?)

You're right. I'll fix that now. Thank you very much.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: February 01, 2008, 10:03:16 am »

You're right. I'll fix that now. Thank you very much.

No problem, Boss.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Laurie Birdsong
Last Login:February 01, 2008, 12:31:14 pm

Religion: pagan

peaceling

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 01, 2008, 11:52:24 am »

Thank you for the welcomes. Ocelot, I will try to remember to not slip into my old habit of not capitalizing, but it's been a habit in long standing. It's a nod to e.e.cummings, and also just a comfort level thing...

To be honest, I think Fritz made the right decision. Running message boards right takes a LOT of time. They basically had a choice of devoting their lives to their message board or doing the rest of web site right.

I quite agree! Witchvox is amazing. I am witchvox sponsor #166, expiring in the year 2077! (they granted me a very long life Wink )

I understand their decision... I also know that it was hard for them because that community (the magick beans), at the time, was very strong. we were a very close group of friends, we all invested a lot of time and energy, love and devotion into those boards which made it so hard when it finally ended... the power struggles happened because Fritz and Wren sought ways to keep it open, they were as much a part of the boards as anyone else after all, finally suggesting that some of the longer standing members take over control (which by the way was done discreetly and not over the boards,) some of the behind the scenes talk leaked, and then 'boooom' everyone had an agenda, someone didn't want someone else controlling the show, etc. Those of us who were simply attached to the community suffered from the egos of some.

In hindsight, and seeing what witchvox has become today, it seems the site hit load alone would have caused massive bandwidth problems, and all the other things that come with a message board simply getting too big.. It is possible that the relatively small community we had then, however bonded and strong we were, would have watered down to nothing and the upkeep would have burned us all out... or not...
A lesson in attachment, perhaps...

At any rate, here we are today, moving on, growing strong, loving, living, learning...

"when i cannot sing my heart, i can only speak my mind..." john lennon

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)