The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 09:42:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 09:42:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Imbolc  (Read 9151 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 02, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »

I know it's a little late since some people celebrate Imbolc today, but what are you/did you do for Imbolc? (I'm not celebrating it officially until Monday...that's the astrological date).

I have a prayer that I wrote specifically for the occasion, and I'm keeping it short, sweet and to the point.  Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 02, 2008, 06:31:23 pm »

I know it's a little late since some people celebrate Imbolc today, but what are you/did you do for Imbolc? (I'm not celebrating it officially until Monday...that's the astrological date).

I have a prayer that I wrote specifically for the occasion, and I'm keeping it short, sweet and to the point.  Cheesy

I am waiting and celebrating on the new moon of February 7th as there is so far not much sign of spring here. I don't plan to do much, go for a long walk in the woods, do some meditation, do a tarot reading for the coming year, light a candle for the old year, use it to light a second candle for the new year, blow out the first and let the second burn for a while. Really I just plan on making it a spiritually aware day. I will probably also read all the way through the Dao De Jing again and meditate on the messages it gives me.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 02, 2008, 08:32:12 pm »

I know it's a little late since some people celebrate Imbolc today, but what are you/did you do for Imbolc?

I'm sitting by the fire, wrapped in my wool shawl and contemplating life...we've got two baby goats in the house right now that we're bottle feeding. One of them was born yesterday, in fact. Grin

I'm also thinking seriously about spring as it seems like it will never get here this year. We've got OVER 15 inches of very heavy snow on the ground and there's more coming down.

I'm also keeping the flame with the other members of TC's Cill.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 02, 2008, 09:59:29 pm »

I know it's a little late since some people celebrate Imbolc today, but what are you/did you do for Imbolc?

Mostly puttered around my house, as it was dreary and raining outside all day. My task for this Imbolc was to review and reform the calendar I have been trying to finalize for my path. I'm not sure how far I've gotten, but I've certainly thought about it a lot and did a lot of thinking about it yesterday, and I'm sure that I've made some progress, even if I can't quite see it.

I also kept the flame with the other Cill members.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 02, 2008, 10:11:20 pm »

To everyone who's replied so far:

I lit a candle for Brighid as well as doing my normal Saturday ritual...I am doing something on Monday specifically for Brighid. I did a LOT of creative work over the past two days, and was really healing-focused today, because that's what I needed to do. Didn't connect it to Imbolc at all...it just sort of happened that way. I have been working on my writing, etc.

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 02, 2008, 10:45:56 pm »

I'll be doing my "formal" bit tonight (more accurately, early tomorrow morning, but it'll still be the same wakey for me).  I'll light several tealights, one at a time, watching the room grow gradually brighter, while listening to and singing along with the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun" - it seems like such a short time ago that I had the lightbulb about how well that'd work, yet it's long enough that it doesn't quite seem like Brigidfeast without it (<counts> ye gods and little fishies, it must be twelve years since we first tried it and it worked even better than I thought).

I'll probably do some specific acknowledgement-of-Brigid stuff, but I don't know for sure what; it'll either be spontaneous, or it'll be some bright idea that comes to me between now and then.

The main focus, though, will be a bit of mystical stuff that the Chaotic Canine is anxious to have me do (ecstatic-practice woo-woo, and rather, er, intimate to boot, so I won't be posting details here).

I may or may not post to this thread again with additional after-the-fact detail, if anything seems worth mentioning.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 03, 2008, 03:49:02 am »

I'm not celebrating it officially until Monday...that's the astrological date.
There's an astrological date to it? What happens or is it just the middle date between solstice and equinox?

I let a candle burn through the night, burned some incense and went out into the woods in the morning to see the new green coming through the old leaves and watch the birds. Weather was great here in Germany. I also gave my incense bowl decoration back to nature and will collect new feathers, stones, shells and sand in the coming weeks.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 03, 2008, 09:23:26 am »

There's an astrological date to it? What happens or is it just the middle date between solstice and equinox?

I don't quite know how it works, I don't know jack sh*t about astrology. I have a friend who has the info.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: February 03, 2008, 09:26:08 am »

I don't quite know how it works, I don't know jack sh*t about astrology. I have a friend who has the info.

IIRC the astrological dates usually have to do with when a specific zodiac constellation rises, or something similar.  I'm (obviously) a little vague about it, though.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 03, 2008, 10:01:16 am »

We had our group ritual on Saturday evening, which went fabulously. There was much Brigidness, and for a wonder, she had actual things to say to me. (Usually she doesn't) and all of our students did fabulously.

It was also bittersweet for me and other people: it's my last ritual with the group for a while due to hiving (I'm taking a break for 6 months or so from ritual but not social events with them, to let people grow into my not being there, and so I have time and energy and incentive to work on Exciting New Group. After that, it'll be easier to come back as a guest, not as "Oh, Jenett, can you do X tonight?")

Tonight, I'm planning on going to the Covenant of the Goddess Imbolc, mostly to go wave the Pagan Pride announcements around and say hi to people. I've been in "It is time for spring cleaning" mode all weekend, so the rest of my day is going to be the cleaning part. (Did two rooms yesterday, except for sweeping, so it's half my front room, the kitchen, and the pantry today. And laundry.) Which is a ritual in itself.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 03, 2008, 05:07:12 pm »

I have a prayer that I wrote specifically for the occasion, and I'm keeping it short, sweet and to the point.

I don't know why I didn't post this yesterday:

Brighid's Fire

Our Lady of Spring
Your fire melts the frost
Your water is the rain that falls
Your sun warms the earth
And seeds beneath the farmers' fields

Give us life! As you give life
Let us grow! We're born anew
May your fire warm our hearts
And your water wash our souls
Let your sun draw forth the seeds
Of life and growth within us

Your fire drives us!
Your water carries us!
Let us be strong
And grow vibrant in your hands.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 06, 2008, 01:50:14 pm »

I participated in the group 'Keeping with a three-day shift, which was in general a very good and renewing time for me.  Saturday night Ryan the Pea-Hater and I were officers in a public Thelemic ritual.  Afterwards we got piercings.  Smiley  I got my right cartilage done as an acknowledgement of rededication to my path as a whole and also my first degree in OTO.  (I do love the idea of Imbolc dedications.)  The next morning/afternoon we did a brief and lovely Brighid ritual at his hearth. (The location was extra special because I'm planning to move in with him in a few months.)

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 06, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »

I participated in the group 'Keeping with a three-day shift, which was in general a very good and renewing time for me.  Saturday night Ryan the Pea-Hater and I were officers in a public Thelemic ritual.  Afterwards we got piercings.  Smiley  I got my right cartilage done as an acknowledgement of rededication to my path as a whole and also my first degree in OTO.  (I do love the idea of Imbolc dedications.)  The next morning/afternoon we did a brief and lovely Brighid ritual at his hearth. (The location was extra special because I'm planning to move in with him in a few months.)

That sounds awesome!!

Mine ended up being a sort of three day Brighid-themed weekend, though I wasn't officially doing anything until Monday. I somehow managed to miss the Cill stuff. *doh*.

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: February 06, 2008, 07:44:47 pm »

The next morning/afternoon we did a brief and lovely Brighid ritual at his hearth.
And now you have a potful of ashes to do something-or-other with, and you're not sure what... no, wait, that was The Cat's Ex-Aunt, years ago now. Cheesy

Seriously, while I wasn't really having some kind of weirdarse flashback and confusing the two, I did get some kind of resonance.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 06, 2008, 10:16:39 pm »

Saturday was my birthday, so hubby and I went out to breakfast. That evening was my Tradition's Imbolc ritual, with attendees from all five of our covens. The ritual was... different. We did a short vigil on the return of the light. We also had an initiation. Then in the wee hours, after we got home from the long drive, hubby and I both got a nasty bout of food poisoning.

I'm going to an ADF (druid) - style ritual this Friday, so that'll be fun. And I've started building plans for a huge decluttering project for the house that's long overdue, and will probably last till Beltane, given the general state of disarray here. This is more like spring excavating, not spring cleaning... but dammit, I need to find my iPod! I have tons of podcasts backing up on me...

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)