The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 11:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 11:03:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: At which age did you start researching Paganism?
I was raised Pagan - 2 (0.9%)
younger than 12 - 29 (13.7%)
12-14 - 61 (28.8%)
15-17 - 51 (24.1%)
18-21 - 34 (16%)
22-25 - 16 (7.5%)
26-29 - 6 (2.8%)
30-34 - 3 (1.4%)
35-39 - 2 (0.9%)
40-49 - 6 (2.8%)
50 and older - 2 (0.9%)
Total Voters: 209

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: At which age did you start researching Paganism?  (Read 42191 times)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 03, 2008, 10:11:01 pm »

Depending on how strict you want to be about the terminology, I may never have "researched Paganism" in quite the way that you think of it.  It was a very different situation then.

Yes. In the 70s we had pretty much nothing but spooky occult stuff, certainly nothing that was appropriate for children. I remember reading every bit of the Encyclopedia of The Occult Sciences one summer at my mom's best friend's house.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: February 03, 2008, 10:30:06 pm »

Yes. In the 70s we had pretty much nothing but spooky occult stuff, certainly nothing that was appropriate for children. I remember reading every bit of the Encyclopedia of The Occult Sciences one summer at my mom's best friend's house.

There was actually quite a bit of Pagan stuff in the late 60s/early 70s -- and much of it was in the Occult section at Walden Books in the mall along side of the astrology books (and Telecult Power books Roll Eyes).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 04, 2008, 03:14:00 am »

Reply to all: Thanks for the interesting answers!

I chose "12-14", but I didn't know until quite a few years later that "researching Paganism" was what I was doing.  Depending on how strict you want to be about the terminology, I may never have "researched Paganism" in quite the way that you think of it.  It was a very different situation then.

Sunflower
I wanted to know when you all knew where you were heading.

I knew it just recently, but have done a couple of psychic experiments in my teens, I think at 14/15. But I was doing that just for fun and didn't take it serious, scientific proof was all that counted to me seriously.

I met a few anthroposophs when I was 16 and that opened my mind a bit. I also started learning Tarot at 19 and energy work via martial arts at 20.

But I still believed the bad press about the dangerous 'wicca cult' and 'sects' until I was around 22. I started to get fascinated with shamanism, energy work and esoteric in general while I was learning martial arts, but thought Neopagans were just crazy con-artist. Even some of the books on shamanism were biased towards what they called 'neoshamanism' or had vague references to 'God', so they appeared to me as open minded Christians.

My bad perception of Neopaganism and the whole revival stuff didn't change until last year when I discovered that someone I was talking to happily for half a year about shamanistic and esoteric contents of Harry Potter (go on, laugh) on the internet was Neopagan.

I'm quite astonished how many of you managed to study Paganism consciously in your teens while still at home. Did you just had the guts to do something 'evil' or were your families less biased then mine? (Mine was even biased against anthroposophy and the ecological movement.)

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 04, 2008, 07:16:09 am »

There was actually quite a bit of Pagan stuff in the late 60s/early 70s -- and much of it was in the Occult section at Walden Books in the mall along side of the astrology books (and Telecult Power books Roll Eyes).
Hehe, looks like it wasn't easy for you all to find the right thing either! What are Telecult Power books?

Ang
Apprentice
Last Login:October 03, 2009, 10:25:55 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: -

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 04, 2008, 07:45:26 am »

I wonder when you all started, I'm 25 now.

I put my vote in the 22-25 category, though it goes back further than that.

I was brought up on an estate in the Highlands of Scotland. The oral tradition was still very much a way of life there, sitting listening to stories from the older folk was always a pleasure, and because of the way they were told and the way they were linked to the here and now and our lives they seemed to be truth.

For example The Brahan Seer was often talked about. Stories even now I pass on to my own kids and take them to the relevant places.

Being a farming community there was a high regard for the earth and the seasons, harvest suppers still took place. It was more a way of life than anything else.

At around age 9 I began reading books by Mollie Hunter. Now, fiction they may be, but again, because of the stories from the older folks, and the local connections, one in particular rung true for me, and I still to this day believe it is not fiction. Because one of these older folks who would enthrall us with their tales had actually lived through what is described in the book.

Then I was given a book of stories from around the world and was introduced to Thor, Loki, Freya, Isis and Osiris and many others. It never occured to me that these may just be fictional characters.

As I said, it was just a way of life, never questioned it. It wasn't until I was maybe 23 or 24 that I began to see it as anything else. That was when I put some effort into it.

Being *gulps* almost 30, that makes 6 or 7 years of actually thinking and reading seriously. On and Off. And I have come to the conclusion that it's not really a religion as such for me, it's just a way of life and will remain that way. For now.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: February 04, 2008, 08:02:15 am »

Hehe, looks like it wasn't easy for you all to find the right thing either! What are Telecult Power books?

Telecult Power was the best known (then) of a bunch of books on using "pop occult" to improve your life, make a million dollars over night, get a significant other, etc. Here's the Amazon info on the book (note that it was published by Prentice Hall -- not some small press/new age/occut press. The reviews/comments are interesting:

Telecult Power: The Amazing New Way to Psychic and Occult Wonders

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 04, 2008, 09:22:44 am »

The reviews/comments are interesting:
Shocked Yes, they are, but why don't they help me to take that book serious? Must be an occult wonder, maybe I don't have the power to see it clearly for what it is. Tongue

But honestly, a couple of things in that book may work in some ways (though it's stupid to promise 'occult wonders'). I can't tell without trying.

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 04, 2008, 09:23:31 am »

Ain't that the truth!
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 04, 2008, 09:34:48 am »

hm, not where I could get at it, In Junction City, Oregon. My parents had a lot of new age/Carlos Casteneda type of stuff, but they didn't read witchy type books much. And like I said-spooky occult stuff, not appropriate for children. I was 12 or so, when I started reading this stuff. And I had to try and hide it from my dad, who would tease me mercilessly if he found out. He was very very mean.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 09:38:33 am by rose » Logged

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 04, 2008, 10:19:14 am »

This isn't easy to answer because I am not really sure if researching and exploring are the same thing or not.

I didn't research with books until I was about 13 because, like others have said, there just wasn't a lot available then (1960's & early 70's) especially for a child. So, I read everything remotely concerning witchcraft and the paranormal that I could, which included a lot of folk tales.
I would even try to glean bits of truth from paranormal type TV shows. Sounds pretty pathetic, but believe it or not I did learn something from The Twilight Zone.   Cheesy

I guess you could say that I did research by exploring Pagan concepts. I began exploring with meditation, past lives, and spirit guides beginning at around 7 or 8 years of age. Started practicing devination with a Ouija Board at about age 9, and knew I was a witch by the time I was 10.

Weirder still was that I was always facinated by ancient Egypt and as a very little girl I had strange superstitions. Much much later in life I found out that these were mid-eastern and Egyptian superstitions - things done to ward off bad luck.

I learned a lot of folk medicine and kitchen witchery from my grandmother. Although she was a Christian and would have been highly offened to be called anything else, she had a concoction or talisman for everything.

In a way, I suppose even though I was not aware I was researching a pagan path, I was long down the road.  Smiley

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: February 04, 2008, 03:05:02 pm »

I'm quite astonished how many of you managed to study Paganism consciously in your teens while still at home. Did you just had the guts to do something 'evil' or were your families less biased then mine? (Mine was even biased against anthroposophy and the ecological movement.)

While my parents were not religious or biased, since I was borrowing books from a friend at school (which is why I put in 15 rather than 14; it may have been the second half of my fourteenth year, now I think about it, though; my memory of that period of my life is partially trauma-wiped) if I had felt any need to hide anything from them, I could have just left them in my locker.

FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 04, 2008, 06:01:02 pm »

I picked 26-29 (it's good you put ranges, since I can't remember exactly).  I was a late starter apparently, but I was fine with atheism to that point.  It wasn't until I had some discussions with my ex-wife that I decided to research religions (not just Paganism).
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 06, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »

I started when I was about 18.  I had always been interested in learning about different religions.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 06, 2008, 11:05:47 pm »

I started researching when I was about 13 and decided that it was the spirituality for me when I was 15. I am 28 now.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
RedWolf
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 10:15:39 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 11, 2008, 08:41:36 pm »

I wonder when you all started.

Oh, 11 or 12 I think.  I am of the age where such a period
of my life is falling further and further into the misty land of
I Cannot Recall  Grin

"Consider yourself cursed: You will never find true happiness. Women will find you contemptible; men will think you a bore. "

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)