The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 06:51:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 06:51:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: At which age did you start researching Paganism?
I was raised Pagan - 2 (0.9%)
younger than 12 - 29 (13.7%)
12-14 - 61 (28.8%)
15-17 - 51 (24.1%)
18-21 - 34 (16%)
22-25 - 16 (7.5%)
26-29 - 6 (2.8%)
30-34 - 3 (1.4%)
35-39 - 2 (0.9%)
40-49 - 6 (2.8%)
50 and older - 2 (0.9%)
Total Voters: 209

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: At which age did you start researching Paganism?  (Read 42149 times)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 11, 2008, 09:18:16 pm »

Oh, 11 or 12 I think.  I am of the age where such a period
of my life is falling further and further into the misty land of
I Cannot Recall  Grin

I still can't believe that i am the only person here that considers herself raised pagan. Where are all the wiccan teens, for pete's sake?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 11, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »

I wonder when you all started, I'm 25 now.

Depending on what is called pagan religions.   I voted 21-25 because I am including Asian religions.

If those are excluded then it would be  the over 50 catagory, unless you include simly having read about without actual interested in possible study.  Then it goes bactk to the teens.
RedWolf
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 10:15:39 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 12, 2008, 07:35:54 am »

I still can't believe that i am the only person here that considers herself raised pagan. Where are all the wiccan teens, for pete's sake?

Well, I did raise my sons (both are between 22 - 25 years of age) as a pagan - that is, they always knew I was, and saw me observing certain rites.
Their father was/is a X-tain, but not a 'practicing' church-going, believe-every-word-of-the-bible one.
I celebrated Solstice, and put up Solstice lights and tree; I didn't mind sharing my tree to be his X-mas tree,
if that's what he wanted to call it.  Wink

The youngest son was initiated as a pagan and may or may not still be pagan.
The oldest was Buddhist, and is now Shinto or something.
Agnostic with Asian leanings? He is still searching, but for sure worships Mother Earth.

Neither of them are on the board, so I guess it doesn't count.

"Consider yourself cursed: You will never find true happiness. Women will find you contemptible; men will think you a bore. "
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: February 12, 2008, 08:30:15 am »

12-14, although it could be younger if you include studying mythology.

I started reading books on witchcraft in middle school (they were actually in the school library.  I wonder if they're still there) as part of a general interest in the paranormal.  These books were on the same shelf as the ones about ghosts and ufos and I think they were just below the mythology shelf (it's as if the universe influenced the librarians just for me).  The first book was just an overview of how witches were perceived throughout history and I think in the last chapter it mentioned Gardner and Buckland.

There was also a book on folklore that had spells in the appendix.  I was tempted to try the curse that involved baking a snake in the oven while it was still alive but I never got around to it.

I started to study Paganism and the Occult seriously in my freshman year of high school.  Amazingly there were (very old) occult books in that library.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 12, 2008, 09:01:21 am »

Could the age demography here be different than on other forums?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: February 12, 2008, 10:08:53 am »

Could the age demography here be different than on other forums?

That's probably a good part of it. Also added in, IMO, is skepticism for most claims of that nature. We (the regular membership) have seen far too many people shouting this sort of thing from the rooftops over the years...a person who generally isn't waving it around like a badge of honor gets more belief.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 12, 2008, 10:13:16 am »

Heh. Funny thing about your poll. The choice I had for selecting, 15-17, was actually the exact ages that I was researching during before I became a pagan last week! heh heh. Or was it 14? hmnmm. Oh well.

Before that I was a Christian involved in a church that tried its hardest to condemn Pagans, they even showed a Vid of Pagans wearing white robes and dancing in a circle around a tree. And they talked about how they would sacrifice dem babehs, and stuff. (Which I bet some still do, because there are some sick freaks out there... But not the whole of Pagan, definately not)

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 12, 2008, 10:18:19 am »

That's probably a good part of it. Also added in, IMO, is skepticism for most claims of that nature. We (the regular membership) have seen far too many people shouting this sort of thing from the rooftops over the years...a person who generally isn't waving it around like a badge of honor gets more belief.

Not sure what you mean? Shouting what from the rooftops? Are you talking about hereditary witches type of thing? "I come from a long line of ___, we can trace our heritage back to ___" is that what you mean? I think I mainly come from a long line of alcoholics, if anything. Don't know about any other witches, besides my mom.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: February 12, 2008, 10:27:20 am »

I think I mainly come from a long line of alcoholics, if anything. Don't know about any other witches, besides my mom.
Heh, same here, rose. Minus the mom part. Although my mom is veryryy open minded, I still am reluctant to tell her. I will soon however. Anyways. My brother is a shamanist ( I think. maybe not) anyways, so he is the only one in my family to my knowledge that is following a different path than MORMONNNN Christianity (ugh. Morman. lol. We're from Utah, if that tells you something.... heh)

I started looking at Paganism, particularly Wicca, when my friend told me he was a Wiccan. Like someone here said, it "seemed right". But I wasn't sure, and I flipflopped between my Christo roots and my new interest in Paganism. heh.

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
Makamu
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:52:54 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: Henotheistic Christian with polytheistic leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: February 12, 2008, 10:45:54 am »

I was seventeen when I started researching Paganism. Now, don't laugh, but I started out doing research for an RPG character in a modern day gothic cyberpunk setting. I wanted to give the character a realistic occult background, so I did my homework Smiley When I had discovered that there were a whole bunch of religions concerned with the gods and cultures I (had) loved reading about (as a child), my curiosity was roused and delved right into it. I even wrote a paper on Paganism for high school (which older Cauldronites may remember...). As I researched, I noticed that these paths started to engage me emotionally as well as intellectually...that this may be where I belong.

Now, at twenty, I am trying to take the step from reading about to some form of doing it, but I still looking for the right place to start.

Maka
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: February 12, 2008, 10:58:08 am »

I even wrote a paper on Paganism for high school (which older Cauldronites may remember...). As I researched, I noticed that these paths started to engage me emotionally as well as intellectually...that this may be where I belong.
Same here. I wrote one on Wicca for a sophomore research project, which I really enjoyed because my boyfriend was Wiccan and I liked to be able to inform the people in my class about it to abolish any negative impressions they might have had. One thing that was good about it was that I wasn't a pagan at the time, nor did I have any opinions on it either way, so I could give them the information from an objective point of view and not infulence them in any way (that is a big thing fo me...)

I also noticed that they engaged me, and all that. It seemed very right, and that was part of my start in researching it for personal reasons rather than just to know...

And it feels very right now, I have no second thoughts about my recent switch to Paganism at all... Yet. If I do I will try to find out where they come from and see if there is a good reason for it besides just not being involved enough heh. (a bit off topic...)

-Myself
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: February 12, 2008, 12:34:18 pm »

Not sure what you mean? Shouting what from the rooftops? Are you talking about hereditary witches type of thing? "I come from a long line of ___, we can trace our heritage back to ___" is that what you mean? I think I mainly come from a long line of alcoholics, if anything. Don't know about any other witches, besides my mom.

Yeah. You've pretty well nailed it. I used to see it a lot on Delphi. Got that and then also the "I was born a natural witch." type of thing.

Most people who post here and were raised pagan tend to be more quiet about it. Sort of like it's a part of who they are, but not ALL that they are, so they don't spend a whole lot of time trying to draw attention to it.

(Not sure if I'm putting this well or not. If it's not making sense, let me know.)

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #42: February 12, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »

Yeah. You've pretty well nailed it. I used to see it a lot on Delphi. Got that and then also the "I was born a natural witch." type of thing.

Most people who post here and were raised pagan tend to be more quiet about it. Sort of like it's a part of who they are, but not ALL that they are, so they don't spend a whole lot of time trying to draw attention to it.

(Not sure if I'm putting this well or not. If it's not making sense, let me know.)

I thought you put it quite well, LyricFox.

For me, I finally stopped ignoring the call at around 10y ago, but I had a lot of de-Christianizing/de-Mormonizing to do first before I came out of the closet.  Now, it's been a few years and It's all good. 

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: February 12, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »

I thought you put it quite well, LyricFox.

For me, I finally stopped ignoring the call at around 10y ago, but I had a lot of de-Christianizing/de-Mormonizing to do first before I came out of the closet.  Now, it's been a few years and It's all good. 
Yeah same here. Born and raised Christian you could say. Luckily with a non-fundamental, accepting parent. Smiley Its been a few DAYS for me however. Took a few years (3)

-Myself
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: February 12, 2008, 05:30:03 pm »

That makes perfect sense, and I completely understand what you're talking about. I've met people that have come out with that 'I was born a witch' stuff, and the worst part of it is when you get one that tries to make you feel bad about the fact that they were, but you weren't. As if it makes them better than you. What a load of crap.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)